• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
VOOK said:
230030brp.jpg

Online? And no I did'nt make this one

Where did you get it?

Man, his face looks nasty in that shot.

sangreal

btw, for those of you still holding out hope. According to Consumer Electronics Daily, Perrin Kaplan confirmed to them today that she made a mistake and that Wii will not be region free

ant1532

Banned
sangreal said:
btw, for those of you still holding out hope. According to Consumer Electronics Daily, Perrin Kaplan confirmed to them today that she made a mistake and that Wii will not be region free
:lol This is just so no one imports. She accidently said it and now we all know. EVERYONE IMPORT!!!

sangreal

btw, there was some other Wii news in the article, but its probably all rehashed:

The Nintendo Europe spokesman also said Mon. "we are not announcing our monthly production numbers but suffice it to say we will have no problem producing enough to meet our fiscal year goal of shipping of 6 million units globally." He said "production started in the summer" and, echoing Fils- Aime, added "shipments will arrive steadily throughout the holiday period; Nintendo will do the best it can to meet demand this holiday." The spokesman also said Nintendo's first-party launch games for Wii in Europe will consist of Wii Sports (included with the console), Wii Play and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Nintendo of America is offering Excite Truck at launch rather than Wii Play. The Nintendo Europe spokesman said Wario Ware will follow "shortly after" the initial 3 first-party offerings. Nintendo Europe said Fri. a total of about 15-20 Wii games will be available around launch from it and 3rd-party publishers in that market. NOA, in contrast, said about 30 games from it and 3rd parties would ship through Dec. 31 in the Americas.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
when are americans getting Wii Play and Wario Ware
Wonering same thing. Hopefully it isn't the same thing with DS for Wario Ware(they got at launch in decemeber and we had to wait till MARCH) If we don't get both of those this year, I'll get my imports did.

I think Wario Ware is supposed to come out somewhere around December over here...nothing has been said about Wii Play in America, as far as I know.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
Wonering same thing. Hopefully it isn't the same thing with DS for Wario Ware(they got at launch in decemeber and we had to wait till MARCH) If we don't get both of those this year, I'll get my imports did.

i'm just curious, not because i plan on getting either but just i'm just wondering what the mindset was behind Nintendo deciding to allocate certain titles for certain territories... like, if Wario Ware is in Europe already it should be in English which means why isn't it ready for America? If Wii Play is coming out in every territory, why did the US get left out?

It seems the decisions were almost entirely arbitrary.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
i'm just curious, not because i plan on getting either but just i'm just wondering what the mindset was behind Nintendo deciding to allocate certain titles for certain territories... like, if Wario Ware is in Europe already it should be in English which means why isn't it ready for America? If Wii Play is coming out in every territory, why did the US get left out?

According to "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" when he was at the Wii Event in New York he was playing Wii Play(wii party, my first wii, whatever you wanna call it) Reggie came and asked him along with a Nintendo rep or somethin if he liked the game, and would he buy it. He said they were not even planning on releasing it here in the States but "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" said he liked it and Reggie said would you pay 40 for it, and "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" said "30 and now we're talkin." Good decision on his part

unifin

I'll have to try the sword controls in Zelda for myself, but the idea does kind of bug me.

I'm getting both versions regardless.

SumGamer

Amir0x said:

IMO, they do that so they can cycle the games in each territory. Doing so will keep the game appear to be new to casual and non-gamers of each territory. Basically they keep the flow of the games without having to rush a new game to the market because there is a gap. It's a safe play from Nintendo, they learn from GC.

Alright guys, when does TGS start? I'm guessing we'll get more REWii details then, and possibly some pics. Also, I wonder if Sega or maybe even Capcom will have som suprises?

We can hope can't we!

ant1532

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Alright guys, when does TGS start? I'm guessing we'll get more REWii details then, and possibly some pics. Also, I wonder if Sega or maybe even Capcom will have som suprises?

We can hope can't we!
Show starts September 22-24

Microsoft's conference is tommorw(wed in Japan), and Sony's big conference is thursday(Friday in japan)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
PhoenixDark said:

We can hope can't we!

No. Expect nothing other than a short snippet of REWii. That is all.

We really should be demanding that Twilight Princess have a GCN controller option on Wii. If SSBB can do it, there's no reason that this shouldn't. If anything, more people might be inclined to buy the wii.

After making us wait this long, it's the least they can do.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It showed up on GameTab and then dissapeared, had the Sims: The Island too.

Anyone got access to EA's PRs?

VOOK said:
Yeah Wii but it said PC for November :/
Still more to come i reckon.
As stated channels are still missing on the main Wii site, and if it was for VC and stuff, it'd already be up, as we know all about them. Unless they really are BETA testing Wii online system between end of September and mid October as reported, before they release all the details on it, just incase it goes screwy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
i'm just curious, not because i plan on getting either but .

I'll probably pick up Wii Play just because its bundled with a remote, and Wii should be great for multiplayer (even just Wii sports tennis/boxing is worth an extra remote)

Grok4Spock

civilstrife said:
We really should be demanding that Twilight Princess have a GCN controller option on Wii. If SSBB can do it, there's no reason that this shouldn't. If anything, more people might be inclined to buy the wii.

After making us wait this long, it's the least they can do.
They do have a GCN controller option to play Zelda on wii: It's called the GCN version of the game! If you want to play Zelda on Wii but not with the Wiimote, what's the point of even getting the Wii version....

Amir0x said:
when are americans getting Wii Play and Wario Ware

Great question. All I know is if they bring it out after launch, only bundled with a remote when I just got done buying an extra remote the first day, I'll be pissed.

dock

Grok4Spock said:
They do have a GCN controller option to play Zelda on wii: It's called the GCN version of the game! If you want to play Zelda on Wii but not with the Wiimote, what's the point of even getting the Wii version....
Running the game in widescreen for one, and not needing to use a GC memory card. I'm planning to play the game using the Wiimote, but my girlfriend would rather use the GC controller because she suffers from wrist pains. It is pretty strange that they don't allow the controller option.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
ant1532 said:
According to "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" when he was at the Wii Event in New York he was playing Wii Play(wii party, my first wii, whatever you wanna call it) Reggie came and asked him along with a Nintendo rep or somethin if he liked the game, and would he buy it. He said they were not even planning on releasing it here in the States but "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" said he liked it and Reggie said would you pay 40 for it, and "insert the Gaf Member name I forgot here" said "30 and now we're talkin." Good decision on his part
I'd rather have it for $50 w/ extra wiimote, like it is in Europe and Japan. That way, the game essentially costs only $10.

Also, should we expect anything from Nintendo at TGS? It makes sense to me that these Wii3 events would focus more on the system-related details, while TGS would make a great forum to give us glimpses of SSBB, etc., and maybe give online infos.

Calidor

VOOK said:
Anyone heard about these EA games, the Island or something
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – September 18], 2006 – To commemorate the launch of the next generation of console and PC hardware, Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS) is pleased to announce the launch of a new lineup of interactive titles for all next generation gaming platforms.

The Island™ is a massively open world encompassing 600 square miles of fictional island landscape. The island has different regions with various topologies and weather conditions, ranging from sunny beaches to snowy mountain passes. Published under the EA GAMES™ brand, The Island™ is a lineup of games that can be played in conjunction with each other, fully contained within this single massively open world. EA™ will be launching three of these games on November 14, 2006 with future titles to be announced in 2007.

In Need for Speed: The Island™ you will take to the streets of The Island™ in a variety of licensed vehicles from classic muscle cars to futuristic concept cars. In addition to racing against the clock, 15 computer-controlled opponents, or up to seven human opponents in network play, you can also free roam on over 1000 miles of open road, complete with AI traffic and human traffic in online mode.

In The Sims: The Island™ you can choose to raise your family of Sims in the majestic mountains, on the casual coast, or in a bustling city on The Island™. The Sims™ will feature an offline story mode, offline free play mode, and online free play mode. In addition, The Sims™ story mode can be played co-operatively in split screen or online.

In Theme Park: The Island™ you get to create and operate your very own theme park on The Island™. Design and build rides and attractions, hire employees and concession vendors, set prices and plan special events. In offline mode you can hire your own Sims™ and they can visit your theme park. In online mode you can allow your friends to do the same.

Need for Speed: The Island™ and The Sims: The Island™ will be available on the XBox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, and PC platforms, and Theme Park: The Island™ will be available on the PC this November.

I dont know if it isnt fake tho

donny2112

ant1532 said:

Bad decision. :( That game is the only viable way to buy the wiimote at a reasonable price. Even at $50, it's $30 for the wiimote (the price it should have been) and $20 for the game. Duck Hunt and Ping Pong alone is worth that.

ziran

i'm definitely concerned about twilight princess's controls on wii since the reports are mixed. the main thing is the sword fighting, it would be a shame to have the game spoiled by clumsy wiimote controls.

anyway, no online gossip for me on this one, decided to buy both versions and find out for myself.

KyotoMecca said:
Did anyone realise that Iwata's English keynote and other things are here?

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200609/107.asp
thanks.

ant1532 said:

That was me... I told him make it $29.99 and i would buy it, and we all got a nice chuckle...

ziran said:
i'm definitely concerned about twilight princess's controls on wii since the reports are mixed. the main thing is the sword fighting, it would be a shame to have the game spoiled by clumsy wiimote controls.

anyway, no online gossip for me on this one, decided to buy both versions and find out for myself.

thanks.

When I played Zelda at the press con last week, I found the controls to be spot on. I had no issues picking off enemies with the arrow, and when I using the sword, I just shook my wrist on my right hand and the sword did what I wanted it to do... and when I shook my left hand, he did the spin move...

Seriously, I saw people who were like pointing the wiimote at the same level as the enemies in the game, like the arrow was a light gun... I just left my hands at my waist, and like I said, I was picking off some enemies who were on the other side of the level, like I was a sniper... very solid control

TiVo

People are saying pricing, etc. has made the Wii a no-sale. Yeah right. 360 tard pack stopped you and other? Horse armour stopped you and others? $600 PS3 gonna stop you and others? Just like people seem to diss the GCN but look at every "gaming setup" pic and you always see a GCN and many other Nintendo cosoles/handhelds along with the XBOX & PS2. You know you are gonna buy a Wii. Maybe not at launch but you will. Just like the DS design & power turned people off but the masses are clamoring for it and developers who missed the initial "boat" are now throwing everything they can on it. So enough with the negative "I am not buying it posts".

donny2112

TiVo said:
People are saying pricing, etc. has made the Wii a no-sale. Yeah right. 360 tard pack stopped you and other? Horse armour stopped you and others? $600 PS3 gonna stop you and others?

Yes, because everyone decrying the Wii's price is also proclaiming their love for their new 360 Premium, PS3 pre-order, and love for microtransactions.

Try making sense next time, eh?

ziran

aparisi2274 said:
When I played Zelda at the press con last week, I found the controls to be spot on. I had no issues picking off enemies with the arrow, and when I using the sword, I just shook my wrist on my right hand and the sword did what I wanted it to do... and when I shook my left hand, he did the spin move...

Seriously, I saw people who were like pointing the wiimote at the same level as the enemies in the game, like the arrow was a light gun... I just left my hands at my waist, and like I said, I was picking off some enemies who were on the other side of the level, like I was a sniper... very solid control
thanks!

that's good to hear :)

Xrenity

aparisi2274 said:

Nice, could you tell what all the controls were?
I know these (I think):

Motion - slash
1/2 buttons - items/map
A - context sensitive
B - Arrow shooting
D-pad - Items
C - Cam control?
Z - Z-lock?

Am I forgetting something? What's up with cam controls/crouching/first person view/anything I forgot? :p

Thanks in advance.

SuperPac

donny2112 said:
Yes, because everyone decrying the Wii's price is also proclaiming their love for their new 360 Premium, PS3 pre-order, and love for microtransactions.

Try making sense next time, eh?

I think his point was that people bitch about pricing on things all the time, yet it has not stopped any of those things from selling extremely well. Horse armor especially. Everyone rushed to cry foul on the internet but in the meantime they were selling loads of it. Those are all cases where the market has accepted prices some thing are unfair, and Wii will be no different.

Even if you think Wii is a rip-off at $250, it's immaterial. If Nintendo is successful at communicating their message and marketing it correctly, they are going to have no problems selling the machine at that price to the mass market that isn't you.

SuperPac

donny2112 said:
In other words:

TiVo and SuperPac - talking about sales in general

donny2112 - talking about sales to individuals

Ok. :)

And what's the difference? These are cases where individuals endlessly bitched about price but it didn't matter -- those things sold anyway, it was proven the prices for those items were acceptable to the market. Wii is not going to be much different. Or if it is and the market rejects the price, the price will fall to where the market will accept the price. But it's foolish to think any of the pricing on Wii is "wrong." The market will decide, and messageboard bitching is often not indicative of where the masses will head.

donny2112

SuperPac said:
And what's the difference?

Let me take you through this slowly, okay.

TiVo: People are saying pricing, etc. has made the Wii a no-sale. Yeah right. 360 tard pack stopped you and other? Horse armour stopped you and others? $600 PS3 gonna stop you and others?

My response (paraphrased): The individuals saying that the Wii's price is making them hold off on buying one are not the same people who have a 360 and/or are buying a PS3 at launch.

i.e. My response was on the individual's level. Some individuals have made a decision to hold off on the Wii, until the price drops or a better offer comes around.

You: They're still gonna sell-out!

That's not what was being discussed by me, at all.

Can you see the difference now? ;)

wave-E

Banned
aparisi2274 said:

This is more or less what I've been trying to get across. TSA's going to have some problems for the shear mastery he has over the old school controls and the fact that there is a lack of button-pressing-precision when you're waggling to attack. But there's no question a mouse in 3d space is way better for aiming than an analogue stick.
Now if only I knew how they were going to fix the problem of moving, turning, and aiming for proper fpses. Moving the target to the side of the screen is probably unacceptable, but maybe they could add some sort of lock position button so you can recenter the wiimote, as if you had picked up a mouse or something. This would work very well for me, but I'm not sure how others would handle it.

SuperPac

donny2112 said:
Let me take you through this slowly, okay.

Jesus, man. :lol

waturi02.jpg

"I know he can get the job but can he do the job? ... I'm not arguing that with you ... I'm not arguing that with you!"

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So I guess that's it, no extra bonus for Twilight Princess? I mean, Wii3 would have been a pretty nice time to announce it.

Top Bottom