• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Does anyone know if you can still just use the button though?
Or is waggle the only option for standard attacks.

SuperPac

Wii seems tailored for repetitive stress injuries. I can't wait to play Wii Zelda, wrist flicks or not. As long as the new control scheme isn't as crapola as touch-screen Mario 64 was on DS, it'll be fine.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
psycho_snake said:
If Nintendo wont include online play for wii sports then they are making a massive mistake. Wii sports will be a big success. Its simple, its fun and its something that nearly anyone can pick up and be good at. This is a game that is perfect for online gaming.
That's true and it would make the Mii concept even more relevant, as I'm not sure there will be that many other occasions to use it.

wave-E

Banned
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Bow targeting and virtual fishing on the other hand...
The bow targeting was great. You won't have any problems with it after a short time with the wiimote. Certainly it's much better than moving a target with an analogue stick.

The wiimote really will work as a mouse in space. The best example was the virtual keyboard in rayman raving rabbids, I had no problem picking out my handle, and that was the first thing I did with the wiimote. After a day it should be very seamless.

I didn't bother fishing. Others seemed to really enjoy it though.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
SuperPac said:
Wii seems tailored for repetitive stress injuries. I can't wait to play Wii Zelda, wrist flicks or not. As long as the new control scheme isn't as crapola as touch-screen Mario 64 was on DS, it'll be fine.

Actually I would say using a keyboard or a mouse is twice as stressful than playing Wii. If you sit there for 3 hours twirling a pen or playing with an item like say during class or something, you dont notice any discomfort apart from your backside.

Mainly cos its normal, natural movement, I bet playing with Wii could even be more comfortable than normal pads which have your hands cramped over the thing for hours in the same position.

wave-E

Banned
John Harker said:
Does anyone know if you can still just use the button though?
Or is waggle the only option for standard attacks.
You have to waggle. They moved it from the button so you could use A for items, which overall makes the controls superior to the e3 version.

Amir0x said:
Jesus, how fast does seasons and weather change if he managed to see it happen in just a short fishing demo?

I'm fairly sure it changed per booting. Weather would change throughout the demo, and I have no doubt he of all people played it through multiple times and watched his mates, so he would have seen a bunch of different seasons too.

Hey why does the first page of the thread still say "● Component cables included with Wii out of the box in the US"?

I thought this was confirmed not true?

marc^o^ said:
From a Mathieu Minel's interview:
"En jouant, on peut consulter la météo ou encore envoyer un SMS à l'un de ses amis pour l'inviter à une partie de Wii Sports. Ces services ont été bien étudiés pour leur fonctionnalité."

Translation: "The system allows you to look at the meteo, or send a SMS to a friend to invite him play Wii Sports. These services have been well studied for their functionality."

So you can send a SMS to a friend to tell him you're playing Wii Sports. Does that mean Wii Sports is an online game (or did he mean you can invite your friend to... your house?!?)(why is that you can never tell with Nintendo?)

that is why nintendo needs to clearify things. i really hope wii sports is online. it would be great.

marc^o^

Avutta1978 said:
that is why nintendo needs to clearify things. i really hope wii sports is online. it would be great.
Seeing their early lineup, it's hard to think of a better killer app to launch their online service than Wii Sports.

Why wouldn't they have announced it though? Because they're late with their online implementation? To generate more buzz announcing it closer to the launch?

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
tsa's impressions make me sad
very sad :(

*sigh* i really want widescreen...

the fact that it's coming from a fansite makes it even more damning, imo! I agree, if only for that widescreen i wouldn't even feel a bittersweet taste in my mouth :(

maxmars

marc^o^ said:
Seeing their early lineup, it's hard to think of a better killer app to launch their online service than Wii Sports.

If they really have an SMS thingamabob they already HAVE a killer app, at least in Europe.

I'm going to play Zelda TP so slow Mario Galaxy will be out by the time I reach the end...
unless the game is so kick ass and epic that I can't put it down :D

You know, until reading TSA's impressions, I hadn't even thought about camera control.
I will certainly miss using the GC pad's C-stick.

I still think Amirox is making a big stink out of nothing, but I'm a little more sceptical now.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I don't think I'll miss the c-stick. I just finished playing OoT again and the lack of free camera control never bothered me once.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'll miss C-stick camera control. That was one of my favorite things about Wind Waker. Maybe the favorite, actually.

Indeed, going back to MM and OoT can be painful because of the lack of camera control. It made the sailing in WW tolerable. Lets hope it was just a temporary withdrawl and that it'll be cack fro the final version.

Krowley

camera control in OOT reminds me of ninja gaiden and i'm so used to that method (pressing a button to move the camera behind you) that it's no problem for me, but i can see why it would bother some people.

marc^o^

maxmars said:
If they really have an SMS thingamabob they already HAVE a killer app, at least in Europe.
What is the purpose of sending SMS via the Wii. Will they make money on it? Is that the only reason why they implemented it? Nintendo still has a lot of things to adress :-/

dysonEA

Danthrax said:
I'll miss C-stick camera control. That was one of my favorite things about Wind Waker. Maybe the favorite, actually.

OoT and MM worked fine with out a C stick (Z-Trigger Camera!) it wont be that bad ... I wonder if the cube will have the C stick camera ...

The sword controls sound kinda meh for Wii. This isn't good. I thought Nintendo EAD was king of controls? Guess I'll have to hold on to my dollar bills until the reviews start pouring in and tell me which version is better. If they are about the same, my preference will go to the wand waggle wiggling. In the meantime, I should enjoy Wii Sports. It seems like some good, clean fun. :)

Mr. TV Goggles said:
The sword controls sound kinda meh for Wii. This isn't good. I thought Nintendo EAD was king of controls? Guess I'll have to hold on to my dollar bills until the reviews start pouring in and tell me which version is better. If they are about the same, my preference will go to the wand waggle wiggling. In the meantime, I should enjoy Wii Sports. It seems like some good, clean fun. :)

You avatar is what's not gonna happen.

maxmars

marc^o^ said:
What is the purpose of sending SMS via the Wii. Will they make money on it? Is that the only reason why they implemented it? Nintendo still has a lot of things to adress :-/

Hmm I don't know if they will charge for it. There are a few places on the net that let you send SMS for free, at least a few per day, so who knows. A lot of people are addicted to SMS messaging, this is not anedoctal evidence; providing them would be in line with Wii philosophy of appealing to casuals.

One thing I don't know is how would the adressee respond to your message -- if they could figure that out, Nintendo would have hordes of teenagers (mostly girls) on the Wii, like bees on honey. Basically a license to print money.

kaizoku

This GC vs Wii Zelda thing - you guys would really prefer to just mash a button?

I thought they screwed it up at E3 where you had to press a button to attack, especially on the wiimote which isnt built for comfortable button mashing for extended periods (cos its one handed). I'm so relieved they changed it, have no worries it will be superior to the GC version at all.

Camera control might be an issue I guess, if not in Zelda then certainly in other games.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So, does anyone know how much watt Wii will use? I need to know what kind of stepdown converter I need.

marc^o^

kaizoku said:
Camera control might be an issue I guess, if not in Zelda then certainly in other games.
Well, according to gamespy in this Marvel Ultimate Alliance preview, the camera controls can be fantastic on wii when done correctly:

"By tilting the Nunchuk, players will have full control of the camera. No, it's not the first thing that most people will think about when they wonder about MUA on Wii, but it's a crucial gameplay element that many people take for granted. With a turn left or right, players can shift the focus around the map with the same ease that they will be able to do on any other version of the multi-SKU MUA. Without something so innovative, one shudders to think of how the game would have turned out. Also, upon playing it, not only does it feel rather smooth and natural, but it probably will set the standard for camera control on Wii for a long time. Other innovations will undoubtedly come, but odds are that this will be the standard for any third-person action games on the new system. Believe."

kaizoku

marc^o^ said:
Well, according to gamespy in this Marvel Ultimate Alliance preview, the camera controls can be fantastic on wii when done correctly:

"By tilting the Nunchuk, players will have full control of the camera. No, it's not the first thing that most people will think about when they wonder about MUA on Wii, but it's a crucial gameplay element that many people take for granted. With a turn left or right, players can shift the focus around the map with the same ease that they will be able to do on any other version of the multi-SKU MUA. Without something so innovative, one shudders to think of how the game would have turned out. Also, upon playing it, not only does it feel rather smooth and natural, but it probably will set the standard for camera control on Wii for a long time. Other innovations will undoubtedly come, but odds are that this will be the standard for any third-person action games on the new system. Believe."

uh oh - this is the kind of gameplay feature I think is very misleading when it comes to motion sensing gameplay - sounds great and innovative, but in practice might backfire. Like...what happens when you want to scratch your nose? the camera goes nuts? and during gameplay if you want the camera to stay still, you have to keep your arms and hands still?

Then again it probably works well for MUA - the problem will be for things like 3D platformers where view and camera control is essential. How does this work in Mario Galaxy btw? hmm maybe thats part of the idea behind basing the game on small planets.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Zelda extreme fanboy vs. Nintendo extreme fanboy

A Zelda fanboy is someone, at least, who deeply loves the franchise and wants to see it in its top shape - Planetgamecube is guilty of always following company line, regardless of reality.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
A Zelda fanboy is someone, at least, who deeply loves the franchise and wants to see it in its top shape - Planetgamecube is guilty of always following company line, regardless of reality.

Didn't Dragona write for Planetgamecube?

Doesn't that sort of negate the basis of that post and your entire existence?

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Didn't Dragona write for Planetgamecube?

Doesn't that sort of negate the basis of that post and your entire existence?

it's something we all try to forget if that's true!

Do not speak of it.

wave-E

Banned
I do wish more had a chance to try the Zelda controls. Initial reactions will vary largely, and it isn't a matter of the game being hard to play, it's just that it's silly to move the game to a different control scheme towards the end of production. Aiming with the wiimote is superior, but yes, waggle for attacks is less than what anyone would want. Glorified mashing really, but again, not painful. I think when display kiosks pop up, this forum's opinion will shift at least slightly.
Not good for speed runs though :p.

In other news: that 1up show was painful as hell, they really shouldn't let huge beard dude dominate the conversation so. Having played a number of launch titles, I feel comfortable saying this is a very strong launch lineup compared to other systems. Launches almost always suck, and it's much smarter for Nintendo to space their triple As over the next couple of months while 3rd parties get their acts together. The problem of not having time to play all the quality buy-worthy games (not just this launch, ps2's excellent last breaths + gears of war etc) is of much greater concern than the lack of wii titles (there isn't really) this season.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
230030brp.jpg

Online? And no I did'nt make this one

Dragona Akehi said:
Holy shit! Apparently I'm an accredited Video Game Critic? WTF I never signed up with rotten tomatoes...

PS: Where do I sign up to get the monies?

is gladius really better than baiten kaitos:EWatLO?

LizardKing said:
is gladius really better than baiten kaitos:EWatLO?

Overall? Yes. It's a much better put together package... and I am personally more a fan of SRPGs...

You can't really compare the two directly, one is an SRPG and the other a traditional RPG with card deck tactics...

Top Bottom