• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War Z - Available April 16.

waylo

Banned
Might get this on PC but I fear it won't have the legs especially since no one knows about it and it's on Epic. The ACG review was surprising since he gave it a "buy". Looks good.
I had been considering it all day but I ultimately decided to skip it based on this. I've got buddies who were all down, but I know that after the first week or so, finding people for the PVP is going to be a pain since it's already a relatively low-key game, but it's also on the dumbass Epic store.

Solarstrike

Spectacular game! Was truly shocked in how good this game plays, looks, and sounds. It's quite simply the best "zombie" coop game ever constructed. Though, beware of trolls who will hold up co-op progress by "farming" the enemies. Hopefully the devs remedy those situations and place "timers" when a mission objective is done. You can play the game coop/offline meaning, you play along with 3 NPC's instead of human players.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
ACG is usually spot on, if this wasn’t on EGS I’d have impulse bought it on his word alone.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've done the first 4 missions and first impressions are good. The swarm tech is really great, there's a ridiculous amount of enemies on screen and I just love the way they move and stack up like in the film. The game also runs well, I have a high end PC but still, it runs buttery smooth. Visuals are good too, not mind blowing but good, only the explosions are a little weak. The voice acting isn't great but it's serviceable. Overall it's a decent game, I expect it'll get around 75-80 on Metacritic.

kbear

This is a lot of fun. I’m playing on Xbox X. The progression, customization system, and difficulty levels should give it longevity too. Gameplay is great. I wish the guns sounded stronger but it’s a smaller studio so they did what they could — just the sound, not talking about the oomph.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

This is a lot of fun and a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Me and my daughter were matched up with randoms for 3 games, we have yet to finish a mission, lol.

Mista

Banned
This is a lot of fun and a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Me and my daughter were matched up with randoms for 3 games, we have yet to finish a mission, lol.
Last night me and my mates finished the first mission and said “This is going to be easy” .. Started the next mission all hyped and shit BUT this time we got destroyed. We all went to sleep😂

Tehvenom

Game is INCREDIBLE. Anyone who liked the Left 4 Dead series will LOVE this game! I can see myself sinking a ton of time into this!
This alone makes me want to get it. Spent so many hours on l4d that I still play it here and there. Are the missions repetitive and if you die, do you wait for a respawn till the next checkpoint?

JRW

IGN gave it a 5.3 and I watched Angry Joe stream it last night he did not have many good things to say, said its no L4D but he'll play through all of the modes fully before uploading a review.

The main zombie co op mode seems fun to me I'll probably still end up buying it today lol.

Last edited:

kbear

IGN gave it a 5.3 and I watched Angry Joe stream it last night he did not have many good things to say, said its no L4D but he'll play through all of the modes fully before uploading a review.

The main zombie co op mode seems fun to me I'll probably still end up buying it today lol.

I blind copped it and am happy I did. Don’t even need to see IGN’s or Angry Gamer’s reviews. Game reviews in general have become more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Look at what happened with The Division 2 — didn’t two outlets give it a 4/10 because of some nonsense SJW thing. It has an 82 Meta when it’s easily the best game released so far in 2019.

Read forum impressions and overall just go with your gut — that’s what I’ve been doing and it’s worked out well for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRW
I think it looks cool, the horde tech in particular looks badass. I'm waiting for Days Gone next week though, I'm not big on multiplayer and would prefer the story based narrative.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the aversion to EGS, PC gamers want a Steam monopoly or is there another reason?

EGS just sucks, it lacks almost every feature you'd expect. Plus it increases the cost of games. Before this was an EGS exclusive you could get it for £20, after EGS it's £32.

wipeout364

I’ve watched a few live streams now and it looks really good. I initially thought it was more like gears of war horde mode but you travel through levels making it closer to left for dead. I haven’t had a chance to install it in my PC but will do it tonight.

TrainedRage

Banned
Bought the he game last night. I like it. There is a lot to upgrade and many various ways to play.

Maps are cool. Graphics are good. The zombies climbing and coming in waves is pretty amazing. Just unloading an auto shotgun on a huge group and watching them all fall over each other us super satisfying.

They will need more maps and enemy variations in the future. But at 35$ this game is doing it for me.

cryptoadam

Banned
Picked it up being a huge L4D2 fan. Only got to play 1 mission since it was still downloading (cool of PS4 that you can play while downloading). Played on Easy as Gunslinger and Medic 1 round each.

I think it would be cool if there was a 1st person mode.

Game seems cool, got that L4D vibe right away from it. I like the progression aspects reminds me of Killing Floor. I hope there is a Katana somewhere ????

I cant say much more since I didn't play online and only played 1 level, but so far it seems promising. The two matches I played had some small differences in the way the hordes came.

Now I did play on easy so the game wasn't difficult at all. Hopefully the challange and mission variety can ramp up a bit. I know it will be hard to match the mall or carnival from L4D but I am really interested in the Jerusalem level to see what that has.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to turn off all the writing at the bottom, with your ID, IP info and all that?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, don't bother to upgrade your weapons until the last one, you don't need level 2 for level 3 etc, so you can just skip to the level 5 gun once it's unlocked and save yourself loads of currency.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was honestly surprised at the positive reception. Not that what I saw in previews looked bad, but I thought they were just showing the best parts. All the word of mouth got me to download it and give it a shot and it's even better than I was expecting. Just flat out fun and surprisingly good looking for a budget title.

TrainedRage

Banned
Did anyone else catch the David Lynch painting/tribute in the Moscow Museum level?
That was a cool easter egg.
Im really liking this game so far. Havent even touched the Japan missions/characters.

Started playing about an hour ago, just playing offline on easy a couple missions to get my bearings straight, about to go full co-op.

Initial thoughts

Definitely a bit of L4D vibe (which feels good)

I have an average gaming PC and it’s running at about 65 FPS average with 110 percent resolution from 1440p and everything ultra

Do we know if there’s a roadmap for future content either paid or free?

Easy and normal seem like a breeze

Finally hit a difficulty bump when on hard, medkits become precious.

I can’t imagine very hard or extreme, friendly fire with the randoms I’m playing with on hard is already pretty bad

ultrazilla

I can’t imagine very hard or extreme, friendly fire with the randoms I’m playing with on hard is already pretty bad

This is a problem that Sabre will have to address. The game is funner IMO with the higher difficulty settings but friendly fire/teamkilling is a HUGE problem right now.
They need to implement FF on/off options for servers. Also the ability to "lock" down teams-I played with my brother and two AI, then two players spawned into our game and
starting team killing us, taking all the enjoyment out of a good run.

Apparently a patch dropped today(I haven't played yet) that addresses some connectivity issues and such.

As for future content, no roadmap but did find that another free map is coming pretty quick according to this website:

World War Z adds Tokyo map

I think once Sabre sees the sales, they'll probably decide on what if any DLC they want to put out whether it be free or paid.

The game is really fun and a steal at $35. I'd highly recommend it, especially to Left 4 Dead fans!

Last edited:
This is a problem that Sabre will have to address. The game is funner IMO with the higher difficulty settings but friendly fire/teamkilling is a HUGE problem right now.
They need to implement FF on/off options for servers. Also the ability to "lock" down teams-I played with my brother and two AI, then two players spawned into our game and
starting team killing us, taking all the enjoyment out of a good run.

Apparently a patch dropped today(I haven't played yet) that addresses some connectivity issues and such.

As for future content, no roadmap but did find that another free map is coming pretty quick according to this website:

World War Z adds Tokyo map

I think once Sabre sees the sales, they'll probably decide on what if any DLC they want to put out whether it be free or paid.

The game is really fun and a steal at $35. I'd highly recommend it, especially to Left 4 Dead fans!

Yes I feel 35 dollar price point was great move on their part

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
EGS just sucks, it lacks almost every feature you'd expect. Plus it increases the cost of games. Before this was an EGS exclusive you could get it for £20, after EGS it's £32.
The only feature you need is the ability to launch the game....

Some of you act like you play the fucking launcher. I have never used any of steams "features" other than its server/matchmaking stuff that some games use.

We want options. That's what PC gaming is about.

You have options, buy on EGS, or wait for steam and complain on forums about it.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I hope they patch in a 1st person mode, game just seems odd playing in 3rd person.

Also another nit pick I find the controls a little iffy. Needs a dodge or roll button. Double tapping crouch should allow you to roll out of the way.

So far still only played easy mode to get used to it, so I hope that on harder modes there is less of the hordes mainly being far away. I have found that in general usually you are just shooting at horde pyramids as they never get enough to actually get to you. But again Easy mode.

Top Bottom