• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War Z - Available April 16.

Codes 208

I didn’t even realize friendly fire was on until I beat the first chapter. I got the achievement for no friendly fire and just kinda shrugged.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The only feature you need is the ability to launch the game....

Some of you act like you play the fucking launcher. I have never used any of steams "features" other than its server/matchmaking stuff that some games use.

No, it's not. Cloud saving for example is a massive feature that's missing.

FYI on Very Hard or Extreme (due to lack of friendly fire mitigation)

People are joining in missions in progress and just downing people with heavy weapon right away.

It’s actually a form of powerleveling

From Reddit

Some of these people are doing it deliberately as a form of power leveling. If you join a game in progress and immediately kill everybody you still get the loser XP even though you just joined the game. It is the fastest XP per minute you can get.

They need to shift more of the experience to the performance bonus, or they need to make it where you lose half of your experience when you kill somebody. as of right now there is an actual incentive for people to troll your games

I have firsthand experience. Something needs to be done.

Last edited:
I’m surprised so many are comparing this to Left 4 Dead

The more appropriate comparison is Operation Raccoon City (ORC)

And it’s a far better functioning ORC

Very enjoyable game so far

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
FYI on Very Hard or Extreme (due to lack of friendly fire mitigation)

People are joining in missions in progress and just downing people with heavy weapon right away.

It’s actually a form of powerleveling

From Reddit

I have firsthand experience. Something needs to be done.

People really are the worst.

voidenberg

Played for a couple of hours and it's really a souless left 4 dead rip off. Look at the armored zombie. L4D2 had them. And if i recall correctly they even have the same weak spot (their backs) . They just added the charger special zombie mechanics.
The creeper is a hunter without the hoodie.
The hazmat zombie (L4D2 also had them) is a mix of boomer/smoker/spitter.
It’s very unpolished as well. You can see zombies spawning out of thin air.
The fov is too narrow. It lacks a fov slider. Graphical options are too bare bones.
It’s kind of fun. But it's no L4D3. I still think vermintide is the true L4D2 sequel.

cryptoadam

Banned
Game is decent but its no L4D3.

Map design fails it here. The maps are fun but to small and too linear. L4D2's maps were often wide open spaces that gave you different lanes to take on the Zombies. Not to mention there was often lots of verticality in the levels.

Jerusalem level 2 is a good example. Where you have to get the car parts. Its a small space, while in L4D you had similar mission goals but the level area was much larger. Think of the mall where you have to fill up the car. You have 3 (or 4) levels of verticality and a much bigger space.

Seeing 100's of Zombies pour into an area is really neat, but the trick gets a bit old when most of the time you are basically shooting them from really far and all you are really left with is a couple of straglers that might get up close.

For 35$ its decent fun. Hopefully the audience will stay there because already I can tell there is some issues with finding games and I seem to always end up on the Russian missions with quick play.

I would rank KF2 ahead of this game as far as horde shooters, but at the price point its still decent enough. It does some things right like the leveling and the defending aspects, but misses the mark overall.

Biggest pet peeve is the melee. I guess since its 3rd person you can't really have a melee character, but KF2 and L4D its fun to go melee. Here its pretty much R1 auto target.

Overall would of perfered 1st person and the level design needed some work, but again 35$.

demigod

Holy hell 65 average right now on metacritic, this explains why the reveals aren’t day 1. User average was pretty high but its dropped down to 69.

Guess i’ll wait til it hits steam. If its a year exclusive i’ll probably just pass on it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell 65 average right now on metacritic, this explains why the reveals aren’t day 1. User average was pretty high but its dropped down to 69.

Guess i’ll wait til it hits steam. If its a year exclusive i’ll probably just pass on it.

Definitely lower than it deserves IMO. I'd say it's more 70-75. Those critic reviews are all from nobody outlets I've never even heard of it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Dude, never trust Metacritic... its worst that a Sin.

Try the game and tell us what you think.

At least this game should be better than the pathetic Days Gone.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
WWZroadmap.jpg

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-update

Last edited:

Saber

Not sure I like the reset and re-leveling. But those updates sure looks nice. I just wish they someday make a local co-op update.

Esca

I was always interested in this game but never got around to giving it a shake. Too late now for me, I wonder what the population is like. Wasn't it free on epic at one time?

PresetError

Neophyte
I remember being surprised by the quality of the hordes AI when this came out but never jumped on it. Crossplay is always good for the playerbase health of a game.

Saber

I really like this game. It's just too bad the AI allies are useless numbskulls.

I think it has to do with those stupid updates.
I get enought of my digital version and end buying the physical one. Feels a lot better playing the vanilla game without all those needless changes and it feels like AI behaviour sounds alot better. Even though some changes were for the better, I still rather prefer the clean one.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This will never get a Steam release, right?

It has been more than a year

Probably not, and it's even less important now there's cross play for the community.

Should have grabbed it while it was given away from free. I bought it on release

Top Bottom