• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your predictions for The Big Three at the end of The Next Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Bias, thread full of bias.

1.Nintendo
2.Sony
3.Microsoft

PC will be alive and well, and dedicated gaming portable will be dead, unless they learn some new tricks.

Acheron

Banned
Microsoft.

New Kinect will crush a relatively uninteresting touchscreen with casuals. It might even have core game uses due to being a pack-in. Sony is a broken shell of a company that wouldn't even go into this generation as a platform owner if it had any sense.

Spinluck

Microsoft.

New Kinect will crush a relatively uninteresting touchscreen with casuals. It might even have core game uses due to being a pack-in. Sony is a broken shell of a company that wouldn't even go into this generation as a platform owner if it had any sense.

Mario alone will crush Kinect.

i can't believe so many people think so poorly of sony's chances.

the only big negative for them is that they might stop making handhelds. if that's the case, they'll just be focusing all their studios and energy on one console again.

It's really hard to have faith in a company that concluded Vita was a good idea. Nintendo and MS have launched consumer products that have been sensations (Wii & Kinect), while Sony seems lost. Although, I think they will have some success, it's hard to feel too optimistic.

EDIT-

Mario alone will crush Kinect.

Mario is the greatest gaming IP in the world, but he couldn't save the GameCube.

Not saying WiiU will sell worse than the GC, but you have to be realistic.

hachi

Banned
Except it doesn't replace a handheld. It's only usable within a short range of the physical Wii U. That won't replace those who play PSPs, or 3DSs on the trains going to work and school.

I said it's a hybrid of home and handheld gaming "conventions," and was deliberately avoiding the language of features or capabilities. I absolutely agree that it's not a substitute, but it does have the potential to unify the increasingly dominant portable experience (private screen, accessible, touch-centric) with that of the TV set.

I fear for Sony. I'm leaning towards going with PS4 next gen even though I was 360 this one, mainly because they have made PS+ really attractive. That could change when the hardware is actually revealed obviously. But, ultimately, I'm afraid of them not surviving.

I don't know what will happen to Nintendo, especially when the Nextbox and PS4 come out and they're way more powerful than the WiiU. They'll always have those classics to sell the systems, so I guess they'll be alright. But, I'm afraid they'll be left behind by third parties, or get shit downgraded ports.

Psi

I don't see how MS can dominate when they are weak in two territories. only Nintendo and Sony can.

Japan is probably a lost cause, but I expect Sony to do something to lose their lead in Europe. Probably at least partially related to the removal of BC for physical and digital games.

I'm not going to try and guess worldwide, but I'm almost positive MS will be 1st in the U.S.

The community that forms around Xbox Live is extremely powerful - we've seen this through purchase history and accoount renewels. Once a couple of your friends jump to the new box, chances are you will jump to so you can keep playing with them.

For the casual crowd, the new kinect and the promise of a all-in-one media box is more than enough to get them on board once again.

Spinluck

Mario is the great gaming IP in the world, but he couldn't save the GameCube.

Not saying WiiU will sell worse than the GC, but you have to be realistic.

Nintendo is a different company now, than they were then.

Plus, there was no PS2 this gen, and we won't see a console that dominant next gen either.

EDIT: Their marketing is also much better, and it's most likely the Wii-U will be the most cost friend and family friendly console. It's also carrying the name of Nintendo's most successful home console to date...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
In the world of Consoles.

Microsoft: I can see microsoft solidifying its 2nd position, trying to use it to leverage western 3rd party exclusives.

Sony: Sony can either be second or third, but the console will likely be home to the unique titles that is home on the PS3 (ie: Atelier franchise, Hyperdimension Neptunia, etc.)

Nintendo: Being released first, Nintendo will dominate the next generation. Nintendo will try to build relationships and secure many exclusive mid-level titles from the Japanese development world. They will likely hit 10 million first and the momentum of first release will mean that the console will get the 3rd party support that the Wii never had.

In the world of handheld consoles.

Nintendo: The 3DS will sell very well, but it will never reach the highs of the DS due to the changing western market.

Sony: The PS Vita will be Sony's last console in the world of handheld consoles and much of Sony's portable efforts will go to building the xperia gaming brand. Depending on Sony's actions the console will have a shelf life of 3 years at minimum, or have a very healthy life like the PSP (in Japan).

Zeal

Banned
1. MICROSOFT. (Powerhouse system with hardhitting IPs geared towards the hardcore. Reclaimer Trilogy remains strong, most IPs are cutting-edge and plentiful and in an amazing move geared towards the core and hardcore base. Go big green, baby. I ain't even hiding it.)

2. Nintendo (although far less success than Wii. 1st party IPs keep them afloat only, as usual)

3. Sony (Unless PS4 offers a major revelation of ease of development, solid and redeveloped from the groud up online gaming network, this will be Sony's last system. Period.)

4. Handheld gaming continues to only be relevant in Japan. Japan's game development studios further fall into irrelevance. Last Guardian and VersusXIII still not out, along with zero news.

Woof, the Sony is doomed stuff in here is depressing. Especially when Sony is the only one that will end their current console with strong support (Last of Us, Beyond, GOW:A, and more) and begin the next with strong first party support.

Quote me on this if required in 2 or 3 years time... but I think the Wii U is going to struggle medium to long term. I think it'll do well out of the gate, but I think it's going to die on its arse as soon as the PS4 and Xbox 3 launch.

Precisely? It's not going to do more than 2/3ds what the Wii managed in the first couple of years. Not a chance.

Mlatador

Banned
The market is big enough. All of them will sell decent amounts of consoles. The question is, who will make the most profit.

I'm not sure about kinect 2. Even if they end up making it not have any lag, it's just like another version of the Eye Toy.

I've tried Kinect several times, but I would never buy it. The technology is impressive, but it gets boring pretty fast.

Nintendo is a different company now, than they were then.

Plus, there was no PS2 this gen, and we won't see a console that dominant next gen either.

EDIT: Their marketing is also much better, and it's most likely the Wii-U will be the most cost friend and family friendly console. It's also carrying the name of Nintendo's most successful home console to date...

I don't know if that is true. The 3DS has been a disappointment for Nintendo. Given what we've seen from the WiiU and the relative lack of buzz, I'm a little surprised how bullish GAF is on Nintendo.

That said, we have so little info it's tough to make predictions.

Takao

Banned
I won't predict anything for Microsoft, and Sony since we literally know nothing of their next platforms so I'd be basing an opinion on nothing. As for the Wii U, I don't think it'll be as doomed as some of the internet likes to think it will be. There's no way it does worse than the Gamecube, but there's also no way it does as well as the Wii. It'll have decent Japanese third party support that'll be shared with PS3 or Vita (assuming the latter two are even on the market in the coming years) but western third party support will be laughable. The hardcore Nintendo faithful will be happy as Nintendo gets a bit hungry and makes some games that aren't guaranteed 10+ million sellers.

Haliela

Sony will become number 1 again by the end of next gen.

SPjM8.png

1) Nintendo
2) Microsoft
3) Sony

I see no reason why it would change from the way it is presently.

Yea i know npd but i mean the other regions. It's all fake numbers since it's hard to get numbers for EU and JP.

Well, overall 360 still lead Sony even with a completely failed japan. All they have to do is do better than a complete failure in japan and theyre pretty much in the lead next gen.

Woof, the Sony is doomed stuff in here is depressing. Especially when Sony is the only one that will end their current console with strong support (Last of Us, Beyond, GOW:A, and more) and begin the next with strong first party support.

Looking at their current financials and not some fanboy shit, one can only conclude that they are in trouble and are the most likely ones that will get out of the game business.

I for one hope they hit a homerun with the PS4 as they've shown they will always bring every type of software to the consumer and not just the one that is a definite millions seller which has been market tested to death and barely has any creativity left for anyone to recognize/enjoy.

Which companies will rise, and which will fall?

None of them fall, but all three of them retool the ways in which they communicate with the consumer and how they sell hardware. Nintendo will continue to be the odd man out in terms of hardware with Sony, MS and the PC dominating multiplatform gaming.

Microsoft>Sony>Nintendo

In terms of sales, but none of them pass the 75 million mark and Nintendo's thinner margins coupled with lower software sales across the board make it a hollow victory. Sales are extremely close together at this point with no one having a clear sales advantage.The Wii U once again fizzles out after 3 years and remains a zombie until year five when rumors of a new Nintendo console arise. MS and Sony once again plant their feet firmly for a slightly longer generation, but their new next next consoles are shown at their sixth E3 in order to avoid the rise of big alternative offerings like iOS/mobile/facebook that cemented themselves as the PS3/360 became stale.

Nintendo

From the most recent E3, where are each of the companies going? Who are their respective markets? Their usual targets which includes core Nintendo fans, Wii "casuals" that left for iOS, mobile phones, etc. They say they want "core" gamers that more or less funded 360/PS3 development after the Wii fizzled out, but they never really follow through since their software offerings lack the range and expertise for those particular types of games(action, FPS, TPS, etc.). Third parties remain skeptical of the Wii U even after Zombie U becomes a small success. Only third parties like Ubisoft and mid/high tier Japanese devs see major success on the Wii U thanks to Japanese markets and early(Zombie U and it's sequel) attempts at releasing software for the Wii U audience.

What went wrong this generation, will they address the lessons learned? They attracted a gigantic userbase, but didn't prepare the Wii for the long haul at all. This resulted in few multiplatform games and a cripped online infrastructure. They'll somewhat address the problem of online infrastructure, but the hardware will once again put them in an awkward spot once the 720/PS4/Steambox arrives. Hardcores in particular flock towards other platforms due to the weak hardware and Nintendo's insistence on keeping all their software secret until 3-4 months before release. The 3DS will continue to steamroll the Vita, but it won't attain numbers like those of the DS.

How will developing trends like iOS, Android and Facebook games affect the big three? Nintendo will find it's handheld market squeezed by these three, but not to the extent that they will need to bow out of handhelds. They'll have enough room for price cuts down the road which will help keep the 3DS competitive, but software sales will suffer slightly. They'll find themselves in an awkward spot when their evergreen titles(MK, NSMB, etc.) fail to sell as well as those on the original DS. Many people overseas and in Japan will continue to flock towards new markets since the Wii U's tablet won't offer enough to truly interest people like the Wii-mote did. The Wii U is the one major home console stuck in an awkward spot between current gen, next gen and mobile technology that quickly approaches Nintendo's efforts graphically.

How much money does each company have to risk? Have they proven to be adaptable to quickly changing markets, or are they stuck in their old ways? Nintendo has proven to be very careful in it's expenditure, but it results in hardware that is quickly left in the dust. The UI and online infrastructure is flexible enough to handle many expansions and upgrades, but it still lags greatly behind just about all other networks ranging from Apple to Microsoft's offerings.

What rumours are circulating, and which of them seem likely? Rumors of a new Donkey Kong game, some outsourced Star Fox and another safe Animal crossing. Their boldest changes come in Zelda when Nintendo allows closer development with Retro. Mario Kart releases with a wide range of online options making it the standout online racer on the Wii U. MK8 sells a ton of copies.

Microsoft

From the most recent E3, where are each of the companies going? Who are their respective markets? Microsoft continues to push multimedia functionality at the expense of gaming. They pretend to still be all about the "hardcore" gamer, but they really use the 720 as a front for W8 and casual Kinect+ offerings.

What went wrong this generation, will they address the lessons learned? Their first party efforts are paltry compared to those of their competition and their first generation 360 models were a joke. The XBL subscription service also discouraged many people from buying into the Xbox 360. They continue to rely on third parties to push their hardware and they continue to charge for XBL. Their hardware quality is improved immensely in order to dispel consumer anxiety from launch period onwards. They don't really learn to develop more first party games outside of more well known titles(Forza, Halo, etc.) and some exclusive third party games that eventually become open to other systems. The 720 is still a powerful machine that continues down the path set by the 360.

How will developing trends like iOS, Android and Facebook games affect the big three? Microsoft sees a hit, but not as much as Sony or Nintendo. Their goal is mostly related to being the center of the living room with W8, not handheld gaming or gaming in general. Their biggest problems lie in making people buy into the XBL service and the W8 platform which both happen to be unpopular. They feel more pressure from Sony and Steam than anyone else, but they are far past the beginning(OG Xbox) phase of taking over the living room and continue to push forward with contract Xbox/XBL offerings.

How much money does each company have to risk? Have they proven to be adaptable to quickly changing markets, or are they stuck in their old ways? Microsoft is more fiscally restrained than in the two previous generations, but still have more money to throw around than Sony or Nintendo. Microsoft firmly plants itself in preparation for a war of attrition much like they were with the original Xbox. Their main goal is to push their OS into the living room which does leave them vulnerable and somewhat inflexible. They still push forward with sales similar to those of the 360, but not as high as those of Nintendo or Sony. This is only the middle of their plan to take the living room.

What rumours are circulating, and which of them seem likely? Multi year contract for XBL services in order to lock their users in for a longer time, Halo 5 and they experiment with some F2P games that are locked behind the XBL paywall at no cost beyond XBL(free software locked behind closed doors). Rumors about console streaming technology float around as Halo 5 is teased. We see more contract based hardware as Microsoft attempts to lock users in with deceptively cheap 2+ year offerings.

Sony

From the most recent E3, where are each of the companies going? Who are their respective markets? Sony continues to push hardcore gaming as their major focus along with lukewarm attempts at grabbing casual audiences. They eventually scale back their handheld development in the US and the Vita becomes a Europe/Asia handheld.

What went wrong this generation, will they address the lessons learned? They become arrogant and didn't consider third parties or their consumers when they developed the PS3. They also blundered greatly in their network security, pricing strategies and the allocation of resources for software/hardware. Their biggest rule for the new generation is to develop hardware and software with reasonable budgets and shorter dev time. Their PS4 is certainly a beastly machine packing 3GB of RAM and a very powerful graphics card, but it's overall price is $400-$300 with the cheapest model containing only 120GB. Their SEN is greatly improved compared to PSN by better chat functions, UI, messaging services and the expansion of PSN+ offers at a lower price than XBL. Online multiplayer and crossgame groupchat stay free for all users.

How will developing trends like iOS, Android and Facebook games affect the big three? Their home console sector is not greatly damaged by the development of these alternative offerings, but this pressure paired with Nintendo's handheld forces Sony to slowly phase the Vita out of the Western hemisphere and into an Euro/Asia handheld. Sony no longer banks on the high tech approach for handhelds and opts for cheaper sub $180 handheld releases with better BC and an improved digital storefront paired with scaled back cinematic games. No more insanely priced proprietary hardware or $40+ Vita games from them.

How much money does each company have to risk? Have they proven to be adaptable to quickly changing markets, or are they stuck in their old ways? Sony has the least money compared to Nintendo or Microsoft and acts accordingly. Exotic hardware and long term game development are a thing of the past with them. They no longer fund half decade long projects(LOL@Last Guardian) and focus more on their studios that can release games yearly or every two years. We continue to see many small artsy type games as Sony SEN exclusives. Sony attempts to push their Japanese devs in this direction as a way to release these smaller Japanese efforts worldwide through SEN even though the Vita is no longer sold in the US.

What rumours are circulating, and which of them seem likely? Rumors about a cheaper Sony handheld designed around multimedia and handheld(not mini console) gaming circulate. We also hear rumors about a new Sony controller to replace the dualshock. Many people believe Sony will attempt to push forward with a redesigned MOVE and hardcore controller in the same box. We also hear rumors of an Uncharted 4 by Naughty Dog that surpasses nearly any game before it graphically.

I don't know if that is true. The 3DS has been a disappointment for Nintendo. Given what we've seen from the WiiU and the relative lack of buzz, I'm a little surprised how bullish GAF is on Nintendo.

That said, we have so little info it's tough to make predictions.

I thought it was outselling the DS, or am I making shit up?

Is Sony really that far out in deep end? Unless they fuck up as massively as they did at the PS3's launch, I think they'll be OK.

MS seems to going for a mediabox approach which does sound interesting. As long as the games don't suffer.

Nintendo, no idea. Looking forward to the WiiU though!

Sony back on top baby!

The same thing will happen with the Wii U that happened with the Wii - open big, then dry up as third party support abandons ship, leaving hardcore gamers desperate for the drip feed of ancient IPs like Zelda and Metroid.

MS are clearly focused on media center stuff we don't care about, and the only huge games apart from Halo will be third party.

I'm calling it.

I thought it was outselling the DS, or am I making shit up?

They had to drastically reduce the 3DS price and their CEO says it's under-performing. Also, the DS sales were slow initially. The 3DS is fine now, but it's hardly a smashing success and I seriously doubt it will reach the numbers of the DS.

Sony tries the $599 console thing again and ends up killing their gaming division outright. Their IPs are bought by EA for a song and they proceed to kill them like everything else they get their hands on.

A smart price point and Kinect 2 put MS at the head of the pack in the next generation and, after Sony's untimely demise, they earn an exclusive deal for the COD franchise, which is somehow even more popular than it was last cycle, ensuring that MS will grab most of Sony's old playerbase.

WiiU ends up bombing due to poor customer education early on, followed by it getting outclassed by the neXBox soon after. Nintendo is relegated back to GCN-era console sales, but this time without the strong portable division to back them up, as smart phones cut further and further into the 3DS's sales, and, due to that, it's successor ends up a Vita-level flop, even with a great price point. Going in to the following generation, Nintendo is placed into a do-or-die situation of properly replicating the Wii's success, going third party or just straight up killing themselves.

The dumb asses that make up the general public blindly buy Windows 8 without knowing what it entails, leading to Windows 9 being a completely closed off OS. MS refuses to allow a Steam app to be sold in order for it not to interfere with their own gaming projects, leading to the death of PC gaming.

mgcastro

My crystall ball says MS and Sony will struggle at the beggining of next gen, but will stabalize and save their furniture by mid-end of the generation.

Sony will go balls out with their console, the most powerful one of all three, will recieve praise from hardcores. Sony will bleed money, but they shall be brave and prideful for delivering what gamers want.

MS will get some hardcore apathy due to them heading towards a more casual crowd, nevertheless they will balance it with their traditional AAA1st and 3rd party offerings. Kinect 2.0 won't get much support besides the usual casual games.

My crystall ball predicts a stable generation for Nintendo. Revival of old classics, more 3rd party support, sales will be decent but not Wii-level.

Haha, this is fun.

BlackJace

Same as this gen.

And as much as I prefer Nintendo, either Sony or Microsoft dropping out would be devastating. It wouldn't feel right with two consoles, or god forbid, one.

And if anything, I think Nintendo would most likely merge with Sony, seeing as they were together at one point somewhat.

goomba

Banned
Microsoft: 2nd worldwide . a kinect 2 enabled set top box that also plays games (mostly available on other consoles or PC)

Sony: 3rd but will Release and last longer due To supporting 4k resolution and a cloud gaming service. Vita connectivity and move + will try but fail to capture attention. Will have some killer system sellers (but not enough to sell more consoles than the others).

Nintendo: 1st but not the same extent as Wii was. iPad and kinect will compete in casual market , wii u will compete stronger in core gaming due to improved 3rd party support. The tablet controller and social gaming network will set a new standard for consoles going forward. Games playable on the TV and/or the controller screen will be popular especially in Japan. Smart glass for 360 and vita connectivity will try to emulate but will not capture the market, much like Move and Kinect.

Haliela

The amount of Microsoft and Xbox hate is hilarious on this board. Good lord people... you'd think they sacrificed your first born.

Sony fumbled the ball. It sucks I know. The PS2 was fantastic but let it go. Microsoft took advantage of Sony self destructing and destroyed them at the marketplace this gen. With Sony's constant stream of terrible business decisions, it's laughable at this point to be putting them ahead of anyone. The blind bias going on in this thread is pungent enough to choke a donkey.

Sony isn't the OMG HARDCORE GAMERZ WHITE KNIGHT. SOOOOO HARDCORE.

Grakl

Same as this gen.

And as much as I prefer Nintendo, either Sony or Microsoft dropping out would be devastating. It wouldn't feel right with two consoles, or god forbid, one.

And if anything, I think Nintendo would most likely merge with Sony, seeing as they were together at one point somewhat.

Nope.

ffdgh

Same as this gen.

The thought of them merging is somewhat....scary and possibly insane.

microsoft makes something that works pretty well with windows 8, wanting to keep up with steam, but still keeps charging for online gamingand they stop being the most used console online service by a wide margin..

Wii U falls short halfway in the generation and by the end of it, only first party titles come out, with a few exceptions (sports games, relatively indie developers,etc).

Sony loses their objective yet again by doing pointless dribbles within the generation, but their online platform matches XBL in the aspects many wanted, minus the paywall.

Regarding games, I see pretty much what happened this generation, minus the meltdowns of exclusives going multiplat since they'll be multiplat from the very announcement. There's no more "favorite" candidate anymore.

Regarding sales... I think the gap between consoles will not be greater than 15 million, unless the wii u either A) does what wii did in terms of hype. B) flops because people dislike what nintendo did with the wii after all, and believe that wii u will follow the same path... i would raise the difference to 20 million.

The amount of Microsoft and Xbox hate is hilarious on this board. Good lord people... you'd think they sacrificed your first born.

Sony fumbled the ball. It sucks I know. The PS2 was fantastic but let it go. Microsoft took advantage of Sony self destructing and destroyed them at the marketplace this gen. With Sony's constant stream of terrible business decisions, it's laughable at this point to be putting them ahead of anyone. The blind bias going on in this thread is pungent enough to choke a donkey.

Where did this post come from? Most have Sony going out of business, doesn't get much harsher than that.

RM8

That'd be so weird. I've gone Nintendo+Sony since the PS1/N64 days, but it'd still feel wrong. And no, please don't ever let Sony touch Nintendo's handhelds.

I mean worldwide overall. That link is talking about this year and up to that point. Remember next time is a fresh start with no headstart and price advantage.

He was talking about worldwide overall in that link to the press conference at E3. Also, the 360 has an ASP higher than the PS3 so there is no price advantage.

He was talking about worldwide overall in that link to the press conference at E3. Also, the 360 has an ASP higher than the PS3 so there is no price advantage.

Yea but that is for this year not the total since the gen started. Wii is still ahead there. And for the price advantage i mean when they first both released. Asp might be higher but consumers that are "normal" see the $199 cheaper console and go for that too.

Sony isn't the OMG HARDCORE GAMERZ WHITE KNIGHT. SOOOOO HARDCORE.

What the shit are you on about? Most of this thread is people saying they are concerned for Sony's gaming future.

danwarb

Microsoft will have the strongest hardware. Nintendo will get big sales initially but fade much faster than with Wii.

Nintendo/Microsoft.
Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom