• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

gothmog

Marvel just needs a team movie tying some of these things together. Phase one wasn't great either, but you knew it was heading towards the Avengers. They probably should have ignored the Avengers for a phase and introduced the FF or X-Men slowly. They could have circled back and started some New Avengers hype. I hope that Feige is learning that the magic of the first few Marvel phases was mostly around the end credit scenes. Now that the novelty wore off it's time to try something new.

gothmog

Spoiler free review. Some quotes:

“Kang is the defibrillator of the movie when he finally shows up”
“People who hated how overly comedic Thor: Love and Thunder was will not like this movie”
“Kang, like Gorr from the latest Thor movie, is too serious for this movie and deserves to be in a better one.”
“Discarded plot points for laughs”
“It’s enjoyable enough…on a Disney Plus level”
“Waited a day before posting the review to see if they disliked the movie as much as they did. After sleeping on it, they did, and refunded their second viewing tickets.”
“If Marvel continues down this path, the James Gunn DCU will blindside them with better quality content and they will laugh if things flip to where the new DCU becomes the favored one”

James Gunn and the DCU will unfortunately be a victim of the superhero movie backlash that has been brewing. I also have my doubts that they'll even be good. Gunn is one of those people who humored up the MCU and everyone seems to hate that now.

Ant-Man 3 [OT] Kang Marvel be saved?
Ant-Man 3[OT] He Is Kang N' Shit

I don't like to be a snob about things like movies, music and TV. We all like different things and I don't see why once genre (classical music, for example) should be regarded as better than another (like heavy metal).

However, I think it's time that the hold comic book movies have over Hollywood dies off. It's not that I don't like the genre (I don't but that's neither here nor there) it's the fact that it has so completely dominated movie making for so long and strangled all the creativity out of it.

I like 1 on 1 fighting games but if that's all that got made I'd get bored of video games pretty quickly.
Comic book movies are the modern day equivalent of westerns. Remember in the 50s and 60s and even seventies, all it was was fucking westerns and it was annoying as fuck back then the way it's annoying now that it's comic book movies.

wondermega

I really enjoyed the first Ant-Man, 2nd was a slog... cannot understand how they took what I consider the 2nd most charismatic character they had next to RDJ as Iron Man and somehow fuck that up.
Agree, first Ant-Man was a (relative) breath of fresh air. They have a good gimmick and there is still a whole ton of potential with it. If they went real hard and did something crazy I would be there Day 1, it's not even hard to imagine the possibilities (the example I like to think of is two 80-story guys just duking it out in the middle of a crowded metropolis). That would be incredible! But prohibitively expensive, I am sure, so not something we will get to see for a very, very long time, sadly.

Anyway, 2nd Ant-Man was a pretty big letdown across the board, felt super-phoned in, so my expectations have bottomed out at this point. I will catch it on D+ at this point I suppose, but I am past the point of watching Marvel films just because there's a new one out. Still looking forward to Guardians however. Also whenever Loki S2 shows up (is that this year?)

Last edited:
The only positive of this movie is the return of Dr Evil.

dr_evil.jpg

Futaleufu

Some people thought the MCU gravy train would never stop.

Even westerns had a golden, silver and end (acid) era, a good run lasting almost 40 years. 15 years isn't bad at all for the MCU.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone got any links with the plot summary ?

I can't be arsed enough to go to a cinema to watch this.

FunkMiller

James Gunn and the DCU will unfortunately be a victim of the superhero movie backlash that has been brewing. I also have my doubts that they'll even be good. Gunn is one of those people who humored up the MCU and everyone seems to hate that now.

It is fucking stupid to continue chasing the shared universe model. But Zaslav is a moron, and Gunn is doing what he's told. So we'll get yet another soft reboot of the DCEU, which will do less successfully at the box office than Joker 2 and The Batman 2. Then there will be another post-mortem on why it all failed again... and hopefully at that point someone will actually realise that the cinematic universe bullshit is now tired, over-played and dull.

Batiman

This is disappointing. Love Ant Man and the first movie is weirdly one of my favourite MCU films. I know it’s not that great but something about it makes it a fun rewatch. The second was decent.

This trailer did look like CGI overdose from the beginning though. I liked wakanda forever and Shang chi. But most of the recent output has been disappointing.

Toons

Kang is one of my favorite villains in the marvel u. If they do him well I can be very forgiving to this movie.

Last edited:

Toons

That gif looks more like what he should look like IMO. I thought the original image was someone being funny. If it's real then that is pretty...pretty poor and unimaginative.

I mean that guy has a wierd face but there wss really no other way this ess going to go. It's an inherently ridiculous design and the movie version is pretty close.
psseRKZ.jpg
xGmfdoO.jpg
0Y2NK0j.jpg

I'll take this over some CW tier dude in a cheap rubber suit.

diffusionx

Marvel just needs a team movie tying some of these things together. Phase one wasn't great either, but you knew it was heading towards the Avengers. They probably should have ignored the Avengers for a phase and introduced the FF or X-Men slowly. They could have circled back and started some New Avengers hype. I hope that Feige is learning that the magic of the first few Marvel phases was mostly around the end credit scenes. Now that the novelty wore off it's time to try something new.
The "novelty" is the entire concept of a capeshit universe, and yea it has worn off. People aren't going to get that invested in a decade of movies again. In a way it's miraculous they pulled it off but when they tried to restart it with worse characters, worse movies, diversity initiatives, and crummy TV shows it had no chance.

Lunarorbit

Paul rudd and Johnathan majors haven't been bad in anything I can think of so I'm in. Someone said Michael Pena isn't in this one and if turn that's a big hit. He was a star in the first two

I mean that guy has a wierd face but there wss really no other way this ess going to go. It's an inherently ridiculous design and the movie version is pretty close.
psseRKZ.jpg
xGmfdoO.jpg
0Y2NK0j.jpg

I'll take this over some CW tier dude in a cheap rubber suit.

Or...They could have used a CG character. 🤷‍♂️

A lot of the early stuff was also bad. Really the main great ones were Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity whatever, Guardians 1, Thor Ragnarok. Having 5 good movies is a lot. They never had 20 great movies. Iron Man 1 was also pretty enjoyable.

As for the new stuff, I made myself sit through all of Shang Chi on Disney + and I was pretty much done at that point with all of it. I watched 20 minutes of the Eternals. I watched 2 episodes of Loki and bailed on it. I made it through about 35 seconds of the Moon Knight trailer and then shut that off.

X-Men will get everyone's attention, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll be good or worth watching. Pretty difficult to top Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart casting. Everyone else was never cast that well in the past movies.

Nico_D

Indeed.

All their output post Endgame has been absolutely garbage with the exception of Loki.

I think you meant "except Doctor Strange". Loki was horrendous if only for sidelining the main character and making him a bore. Of tv offerings Moon Knight was the only good one, mostly because of Oscar Isaac.

Marvel don't seen to be able to get back into the game. Ugly mess.

killatopak

For those that watched it, is Kang good?

For some reason I just don't feel intimidated by him. Like he seems more like mid boss or a joke enemy.

Maybe it's the way he was presented in Loki that makes me feel this. He lacks the presence Thanos had.

Certinty

It's a shame what the MCU has become.

Post-Endgame I thought Far From Home, Shang Chi and Black Widow were good whilst No Way Home was amazing.

But recently with Eternals, Love and Thunder, Multiverse of Madness and Wakanda Forever, the less I say the better. What a steep downfall.

Iceternal

For those that watched it, is Kang good?

For some reason I just don't feel intimidated by him. Like he seems more like mid boss or a joke enemy.

Maybe it's the way he was presented in Loki that makes me feel this. He lacks the presence Thanos had.

Jonathan Majors is very charismatic and the best thing about the movie. But Kang himself... Idk...

I don't see how you can consider him a Thanos-worthy threat after this film.

Ok, how is Kang any different from Thanos?

Btw, why did they make Kang look like a human?

The first 15 to 25ish minutes can explain Kang better than I can. His story is really intriguing and I still feel that he could have had his own full length movie based on how much there is to him.

Billbofet

The first 15 to 25ish minutes can explain Kang better than I can. His story is really intriguing and I still feel that he could have had his own full length movie based on how much there is to him.
That's actually a really interesting idea to give a villain their own movie minus the heroes. At this point, the formula for MCU is so played out, something like this would be refreshing as hell. Worked for the Joker.

That's actually a really interesting idea to give a villain their own movie minus the heroes. At this point, the formula for MCU is so played out, something like this would be refreshing as hell. Worked for the Joker.
It would have worked regardless, because Kang can be his own hero, anti-hero, side character, mentor, and villain. If MCU drops the ball on the concept of Kang it would be horrible to see.

He looks nothing like what he looks like in the comics to me (and that doesn’t look human):
There are a lot of misconceptions about Kang and a big one is what people think he is supposed to look like. I suggest searching for what Kang looked like as a kid.

I was hoping that Top Gun: Maverick's success would inch us back towards practical effects a bit more, but...well...
This movie was probably filmed 3-ish years ago. To see any movies inspired by Top Gun Maverick, you'll have to wait until at least 2026.

Doczu

Indeed.

All their output post Endgame has been absolutely garbage with the exception of Loki.
Hey, WandaVision was also ok. Original and fun to watch. Doctor Strange afterwards was a bit of a let down and since then i just couldn't take in more marvel. I'm at my limit and i didn't even watch all the movies up to Doctor Strange... Spidey was fun at least

There are a lot of misconceptions about Kang and a big one is what people think he is supposed to look like. I suggest searching for what Kang looked like as a kid.
I’m sure he didn’t look like the actor did as a kid anyway but I am talking about when he’s grown up. He looks nothing like in the comics from what I am seeing.

pramod

I dont think its as much as MCU fatigue as the fact that people just dont care about these D-list characters anymore. After GotG they thought they can put any obscure characters on screen and make a billion dollars but its not working anymore without riding the coattails of the A listers like Iron Man and Cap and the Infinity Saga.

Spiderman movies will still do well but i dunno about the future of the MCU at this point.....it seems like a slow death...until they bring in the X-Men.

This is just my own fan theory but i think that Secret Wars will trigger a reset of the MCU. Then we will have brand new Iron Man and Cap and Avengers as well as the X-Men and FF4 all at the same time.

Last edited:
I dont think its as much as MCU fatigue as the fact that people just dont care about these D-list characters anymore. After GotG they thought they can put any obscure characters on screen and make a billion dollars but its not working anymore without riding the coattails of the A listers like Iron Man and Cap and the Infinity Saga.

Spiderman movies will still do well but i dunno about the future of the MCU at this point.....it seems like a slow death...until they bring in the X-men.

This is just my own fan theory but i think that Secret.Wars will trigger a reset of the MCU. Then we will have brand new Iron Man and Cap and Avengers as well as the X-men and FF4 all at the same time.
X-men will indeed rejuvenate the MCU, but as of late, everything feels a bit stale. Bring on the video game era.

Toons

Just got out

Critics are smoking. I dont think I've ever disagreed with a score from them more.

Look folks if you already hate the MCU, this won't change your mind. But this is in no way shape or form a bad movie. Its a ton of fun and Kang is done extremely well. Definitely some goofy stuff as to be expected.

No way is thor 2 scored better than this lol

Toons

I was hoping that Top Gun: Maverick's success would inch us back towards practical effects a bit more, but...well...

There is literally no way to do this movie practically. And that's simply the way it is for characters like ant man who regularly travel to fantastical worlds that defy all laws of science and physics.

I can see the cgi complaint when you're talking grounded stuff but thats just not what ant man is or ever was.
tzWjXB6.png
lz5YVBQ.jpg

After GotG they thought they can put any obscure characters on screen and make a billion dollars but its not working anymore without riding the coattails of the
They still could if they hired better writers and gave the CGI artists more time to perfect their craft. You only need to hire people who are extremely passionate about making sure that a specific obscure character looks as good as possible on screen. The passion isn't really there and a lot of these newer acts are being used as placeholders instead of main attractions.

A listers like Iron Man
Iron Man was not an A-lister in the 80s and 90s. We all know that X-men and Spiderman were the heavy hitters and that Iron Man was a C-lister before the MCU came around. X-men/Spiderman received all of the cool comics, the cool toys, the cool video games, and the cool movies. Iron Man was elevated to an A-lister thanks to passionate creators and people with a dream and a vision.

If they don't fix their creative issues, it won't matter if the character is deemed as 'A-lister' or not because they will end up screwing over precious favorites like X-men anyway.

Edit: A decent example of this is Shang-Chi. We all know compared to Iron Fist(the character), he is a D-list character. However, while the movie has it's flaws(like the final battle), it felt way more creative and unique because the cast and crew were attempting to do their own thing, tell their own story, and not rely too much on other Marvel elements to carry it. I would put it on the same level as Phase 1 movies like Thor 1, Captain America 1, etc where the movies were a little rough around the edges but still had heart.

Last edited:
Top Bottom