• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

Pejo

There is literally no way to do this movie practically. And that's simply the way it is for characters like ant man who regularly travel to fantastical worlds that defy all laws of science and physics.

I can see the cgi complaint when you're talking grounded stuff but thats just not what ant man is or ever was.
tzWjXB6.png
lz5YVBQ.jpg
You realize I don't mean find 1500 pound ants right? You can absolutely do this with practical effects opposed to CGI. Animatronics have made huge leaps and bounds over the stuff everybody is familiar with in the 90s, it's just probably cheaper and quicker to make a CG scene. Even if it's only a mix of both, it'd be better than a bunch of actors wearing dot suits in front of a green screen for 80% of a movie. A scene looks totally different when the majority of it is CG vs a real set with CG mixed in or used to make up for parts that wouldn't work.

Toons

You realize I don't mean find 1500 pound ants right? You can absolutely do this with practical effects opposed to CGI. Animatronics have made huge leaps and bounds over the stuff everybody is familiar with in the 90s, it's just probably cheaper and quicker to make a CG scene. Even if it's only a mix of both, it'd be better than a bunch of actors wearing dot suits in front of a green screen for 80% of a movie. A scene looks totally different when the majority of it is CG vs a real set with CG mixed in or used to make up for parts that wouldn't work.

Im mostly talking about the backgrounds here, which were always going to be digitally created. Not to spoil the movie but no, animatronic ants also would not be possible in this one it just wouldn't be feasible to do.

Finally all of the actors are in real suits and have been for the entirety of phase 4 and 5 and previous. You can see set photos with them wearing tangible suits. Save for Iron man and the iron spider suit obviously

GymWolf

A lot of the early stuff was also bad. Really the main great ones were Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity whatever, Guardians 1, Thor Ragnarok. Having 5 good movies is a lot. They never had 20 great movies. Iron Man 1 was also pretty enjoyable.

As for the new stuff, I made myself sit through all of Shang Chi on Disney + and I was pretty much done at that point with all of it. I watched 20 minutes of the Eternals. I watched 2 episodes of Loki and bailed on it. I made it through about 35 seconds of the Moon Knight trailer and then shut that off.

X-Men will get everyone's attention, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll be good or worth watching. Pretty difficult to top Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart casting. Everyone else was never cast that well in the past movies.
Yeah, it's always funny to see marvel history revisionism and a parallel reality where all the marvel movies were bangers instead of the actual reality where they have less than 10 decent movies...and i'm being generous.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Seems to have the same massive problems as earlier phase 4 movies(MoM, WF, TL&T) and the jokes seem even worse.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh another bland MCU movie who could have seen this coming!

Watch it still make like 800 million because Marvel

Yeah, it's always funny to see marvel history revisionism and a parallel reality where all the marvel movies were bangers instead of the actual reality where they have less than 10 decent movies...and i'm being generous.

This is true, though I think franchise fatigue wasn't as strong then and we DID get some decent ones from time to time, as opposed to now (personally haven't liked any MCU movie since Infinity War).

Just out of it, it felt like a mediocre episode of Rick and Morty. Jonathan Majors is a good villain, but the film feels like a setup for a payoff we won't get for about two years.

Warnen

Can he swing from a thread? Take a look overhead / Hey, there, there goes the Spider-Man
Just saw it besides Modok being to fucking silly Best marvel movie since the 3rd Thor movie.

skneogaf

I thought it was great, I'm okay with ant man having humour, especially in the quantum relm as it was pretty much Rick and morty down there.

Best marvel movie I've seen in that isn't spiderman no way home since end game.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I saw it tonight. It wasn't good, but I enjoyed it more than Wakanda Forever. Some serious problems with it.

Disneys writers have no sense of scale or world building. The Quantum Realm felt like such a wasted setting. MODOK got done super dirty. And Kang is basically a chihuahua. All bark and nothing to back it up. Dont get me wrong, the actor has the gravitas for the performance, but having the shittiest avenger beat him sucked. This movie should have been much more of a pyrric victory. The council of ricks revelation was lame too

Not looking good for MCU

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I've grown extremely tired of Marvel movies to the point I watch spoiler reviews cause by the time I watch it (if I do) I'll forget most of what I heard.

With that said I'll never forget a certain cgi face in this film 🤣

No idea why the reviews are extra low compared to the other Marvel films.
I am getting tired of the Disney formula and this is just that. It’s not much worse than the last Thor. I myself enjoyed this more as I never cared for the more mainstream Marvel characters such as Thor, while this film had MODOK and Bill Murray. Lol

Tieno

Saw it in the cinema yesterday. At no point was I invested or engaged in the story. The movie feels like a Disney ride that you've taken way too many times, the way the story progresses. They played it so safe with the ending.
Did not like it, it felt creatively bankrupt.

Last edited:
No idea why the reviews are extra low compared to the other Marvel films.
I am getting tired of the Disney formula and this is just that. It’s not much worse than the last Thor.
It would be like releasing yet another military shooter video game in the year 2012 on Xbox 360. On it's own the game might be good, play well, look graphically solid, and perform well, but considering the context of the time period and the amount of military shooters that released before 2012 on the Xbox 360, you're going to have a really tough time convincing people why they should buy your specific military shooter.

Now, the way to get around this would be to find something fun and unique to make your Xbox 360 shooter stand out. Like maybe taking members of the rap group G-Unit and making them hunt for a Crystal Skull in the middle east. Or maybe you play as a Sniper and every bullet you shoot goes into a slo-mo Mortal Kombat-esque killcam. Or maybe their game suddenly has dinosaurs show up partly into the game and you've turned from mercenary to dinosaur hunter.

Your patience for this just happened to run out faster than others, the same way I knew some of the harsher reviewers were already tired of Xbox 360 shooters after Modern Warfare 2 in 2009. Lately with Marvel I've been on the ledge. We've reached a point where people aren't saying 'this is a good film' and they're instead saying 'this is good for a Marvel film' which reminds me of the days where people would say 'this looks good for a Wii game' as a sort of a nice pat on the head for Nintendo trying their best graphically with a library of games that could easily be ported to the PS Vita.

Bwesh

I saw it tonight. It wasn't good, but I enjoyed it more than Wakanda Forever. Some serious problems with it.

Disneys writers have no sense of scale or world building. The Quantum Realm felt like such a wasted setting. MODOK got done super dirty. And Kang is basically a chihuahua. All bark and nothing to back it up. Dont get me wrong, the actor has the gravitas for the performance, but having the shittiest avenger beat him sucked. This movie should have been much more of a pyrric victory. The council of ricks revelation was lame too

Not looking good for MCU
This was my thought too. It was basically a bad rick and morty episode. A character who's supposed to be this phase's big bad losing to ant man makes him look very weak.

SkylineRKR

This movie is horrible. I zoned out constantly for the first hour or so. I didn't care about the bad green screen Star Wars wannabe stuff. Seriously I was thinking I am watching a sort of retake on Phantom Menace. Only, Phantom Menace was actually better with better world building. This world looks so uninteresting and badly generated, I don't give a shit what Kang is going to plan. They all talk pretentious gibberish. The only redeeming factor in this movie is Michelle Pfeiffer, who stole every scene she was in. And good old Douglas is fun as well. But the guy playing Antman, his daughter and the Wasp are all trash. The CG was fucking terrible. Just look at how they've done MODOK. But also the settings... it looked god awful.

And about Kang, he's a joke (ending and after credits spoilers).

I want to destroy worlds because you don't understand. I am protecting the universe against myself. And then in the AC you see a full stadium of Kangs, even a Pharaoh Kang. Its stupid and hilarious. Its the same as all the Lokis, where the whole parralel versions of characters started.

I've been out of the MCU for a good while. And this one didn't convince me to go watch the X amount of series and films I skipped. Give me DC any day of the week. Sure there is absolute trash, but also great movies like The Batman and I hope Shazam 2 will be as fun as the first.

Remember the early MCU days? Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier.. I would actually rewatch those. But at some point in time the franchise just became throwaway CG fests and I've never rewatched a MCU movie since Endgame. And yeah, it does seem they are creatively bankrupt. Love and Thunder isn't better by the way, they're both the same trash within the same whatever settings. Then I actually respect Eternals more, which was absolutely boring, and yes you could say it was woke, but it dared to take a different approach and it even mentioned DC heroes.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Is it me or was there no Marvel intro this time around? Kept waiting for one and about 3/4 of the movie I realized it wasn't coming (or I missed it somehow).

FireFly

Just got out

Critics are smoking. I dont think I've ever disagreed with a score from them more.

Look folks if you already hate the MCU, this won't change your mind. But this is in no way shape or form a bad movie. Its a ton of fun and Kang is done extremely well. Definitely some goofy stuff as to be expected.

No way is thor 2 scored better than this lol
It's not an offensively bad movie. It just doesn't have any meaningful character development or do much to make you care about the throwaway CGI cast. As a way to kill a couple of hours, it's fine, but if it didn't exist I don't see what would have been lost. Especially since Kang was already setup by Loki season 1, and season 2 looks to continue this.

Toons

It's not an offensively bad movie. It just doesn't have any meaningful character development or do much to make you care about the throwaway CGI cast. As a way to kill a couple of hours, it's fine, but if it didn't exist I don't see what would have been lost. Especially since Kang was already setup by Loki season 1, and season 2 looks to continue this.
Season 1 of loki showed you a fairly benevolent version of Kang who was warning about guys like this, this movie shows off what he was warning about with just one example. So this one Kang was pretty dangerous and built an empire in the quantum realm and there are many more like him.

I think Scott will be the guy that esrns the other heroes about Kang when he reappears

FireFly

Season 1 of loki showed you a fairly benevolent version of Kang who was warning about guys like this, this movie shows off what he was warning about with just one example. So this one Kang was pretty dangerous and built an empire in the quantum realm and there are many more like him.

I think Scott will be the guy that esrns the other heroes about Kang when he reappears
Right but season 2 of Loki is presumably not going to feature the same benevolent version.

ReBurn

There was an intro, you must have got to the movie a couple minutes late
Yeah I recall seeing the Disney+ teen Ms. Marvel being conspicuously lighted and accented in the two seconds she was visible toward the end and it left me looking for clues about her during the movie. But I didn't see any.

Toons

Yeah I recall seeing the Disney+ teen Ms. Marvel being conspicuously lighted and accented in the two seconds she was visible toward the end and it left me looking for clues about her during the movie. But I didn't see any.

They updated the entire logo to show some of the newer characters interspersed with the classics. I didnt notice any particular one standing out but I definitely saw some of the TV show characters

Trilobit

Too bad. That was the vibes I got from the trailers. Too much green screen and not enough heart. I loved the first one and really liked the second one so I'm quite disappointed. Might watch when it hits streaming.

Overall I'm getting evermore frustrated with Marvel movies. The last Spider-Man was a hot mess and cheapened the characters from the Raimi movies. I long for the day we no longer get these multiverse/dimension escapades and instead get good stories.

Nope. I read the spoilers and was not disappointed qith my decision for not giving Disney money.
i am not talking about this movie. Disney/MCU has some no secret assets they will used to make even more money than with avatar 1/2 combined...and you will be there

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Kang seemed well liked in terms of engaging with the heroes, he has a different level of abilities but I liked Thanos better.

The ant man’s bread and butter is the new quantum realm just because I have never seen those people and worlds before.

Flying Away Ant Man GIF by Marvel Studios

Top Bottom