• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

I liked the movie but I have got to say that the:
Kang is supposed to be the next gen Thanos, the villain that is supposed to take on the avengers, a villain that has even killed the avengers countless times. Yet this lone Kang that is said might have been the most dangerous, and we have to assume smart, thought he could take out all other Kangs with an army of weakling mobs. For the love of God how ridiculous. I expected Kang to have better tech and escape the quantum universe, but he was easily overwhelmed by ant-man alone.

If this one of the most dangerous Kangs can't even deal with ant-man how are we supposed to believe he can actually handle the rest of far stronger avengers? Also, was this Kang entirely deluded or was he right whe he thought a small ship with a handful of ultra weak mobs was enough to take down all the other kangs?

Again the writers completely failed on this one. Kang and his technology was portrayed as super weak and by virtue of this one Kang believing he could take down all the other Kangs, it cast doubts on the competence of the entire collection of Kangs. Again we should be presented with what seems like a real threat, not another villain of the week.

Bridges

Eh I thought it was better than the reviews let on. I liked it more than Ant-Man 2 but definitely not as much as Ant-Man 1.

A few too many scenes of the mom standing in front of a green screen giving exposition imo.

Doom85

I liked the movie but I have got to say that the:
Kang is supposed to be the next gen Thanos, the villain that is supposed to take on the avengers, a villain that has even killed the avengers countless times. Yet this lone Kang that is said might have been the most dangerous, and we have to assume smart, thought he could take out all other Kangs with an army of weakling mobs. For the love of God how ridiculous. I expected Kang to have better tech and escape the quantum universe, but he was easily overwhelmed by ant-man alone.

If this one of the most dangerous Kangs can't even deal with ant-man how are we supposed to believe he can actually handle the rest of far stronger avengers? Also, was this Kang entirely deluded or was he right whe he thought a small ship with a handful of ultra weak mobs was enough to take down all the other kangs?

Again the writers completely failed on this one. Kang and his technology was portrayed as super weak and by virtue of this one Kang believing he could take down all the other Kangs, it cast doubts on the competence of the entire collection of Kangs. Again we should be presented with what seems like a real threat, not another villain of the week.

Because Kang DIDN’T have all his usual tech and armies. He was forced to utilize what he could find in the Quantum Realm as opposed to having access to a multiverse’s worth of technology, resources, and soldiers. It should be obvious the empire he built was a pale comparison to what he previously ruled.

Also, what makes you believe he could take down all the other Kangs by himself? Are you forgetting it was the other Kangs themselves who exiled him?

Doom85

I liked it more when it was called Tron Legacy. Quantumania was the same story, no Daft Punk.

Yeah, except in this film I could actually take the main villain seriously, and the other side villain who had uncanny valley CGI was done intentionally to be goofy. Tron Legacy combined both and the result was:

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Tron Legacy is still great, but the gap between them isn’t that much IMHO.

NahaNago

The movie for the most part was just meh/mediocre. If not for it's budget it would just be a cheap sci fi channel movie.

I kind of feel like it should have been like a mini series. That way we could have learned more about the quantum realm. It could have been a show more about the journey and spending time with their family. I enoyed Kang at the beginning but he just slowly gets worse as the movie progresses. I really hated when the cg blurred the landscape when they were traveling a bit fast. Like I want to clearly see the world. Try not to think too much about the story since you will find a lot of plot holes. I swear I get more annoyed the more I mused over the movie's story.

Because Kang DIDN’T have all his usual tech and armies. He was forced to utilize what he could find in the Quantum Realm as opposed to having access to a multiverse’s worth of technology, resources, and soldiers. It should be obvious the empire he built was a pale comparison to what he previously ruled.

Also, what makes you believe he could take down all the other Kangs by himself? Are you forgetting it was the other Kangs themselves who exiled him?
What makes me believe he could take the other Kangs out? Because he basically says so, that he's taking that piss poor weak mob tiny army he's built to kill all the other Kangs that exiled him? That entire robot army was the weakest shizzat I've ever seen, he might as well have only left with his chair, the tiny robot army is entirely useless trying to take it out of the quantum realm was a waste of time.

Last edited:

Doom85

What makes me believe he could take the other Kangs out? Because he basically says so, that he's taking that piss poor weak mob tiny army he's built to kill all the other Kangs that exiled him? That entire robot army was the weakest shizzat I've ever seen, he might as well have only left with his chair, the tiny robot army is entirely useless trying to take it out of the quantum realm was a waste of time.

I mean, he was obviously going to raise a far superior army once he was out, but even so, why NOT take the forces he already has as well? Not taking them would just be a waste.

Also, we only have his word that he could take on all the other Kangs. A villain showing overconfidence is hardly new, I don’t know why this instance should be seen any differently. I’m not saying it’s inconceivable he could figure a way how to do it, but we do know for sure the one time they did clash, he lost. THAT is what you should be taking as fact, not Conqueror Kang’s plans that never got to see the light of day.

ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo I had the notification that you quoted me but when I checked there was nothing. I'm assuming you typed something bad enough for the mods to feel that it shouldn't have happened. To bring the conversation down a different path, I'll state that the only movie I see doing a billion plus(by combining disney fans, anime fans, and video game fans) would be an actual adaptation of Kingdom Hearts to the big screen. Whether live action, CGI, or animated, it would be a big red button movie that would guarantee ticket sales because it would be Disney's version of Infinity War.

Disneyliveaction-kh-sora.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Vyse

Just got out, don’t believe the reviews. Was a lot of fun, and makes me excited for the next couple of phases.

I never listen to reviews anyway, but was a bit worried seeing the ton of negativity surrounding the film.
This. Really enjoyed it as well.

ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo I had the notification that you quoted me but when I checked there was nothing. I'm assuming you typed something bad enough for the mods to feel that it shouldn't have happened. To bring the conversation down a different path, I'll state that the only movie I see doing a billion plus(by combining disney fans, anime fans, and video game fans) would be an actual adaptation of Kingdom Hearts to the big screen. Whether live action, CGI, or animated, it would be a big red-button movie that would guarantee ticket sales because it would be Disney's version of Infinity War.

Disneyliveaction-kh-sora.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
really? wow.

I am just talking about the MCU.(kingdom hearts is cringe AF)

once they incorporate The X-Men. pfffff

you want to see unprecedented succes?!

wolverine vs hulk. and shit like that.

we could see a sneak peak of this potential with deadpool 3

Krathoon

I want to see the return of Pizza Poppa.

I have no idea where they are going with this Kang and the multiverse stuff. The Loki series seems to be the key part of this.

really? wow.
Absolutely
I am just talking about the MCU.(kingdom hearts is cringe AF)
How it's received on a personal level doesn't matter. It would be like saying that you feel Sonic/Sonic fans are cringe and we all know how well those movies did.
once they incorporate The X-Men.

you want to see unprecedented succes?!

wolverine vs hulk. and shit like that.

we could see a sneak peak of this potential with deadpool 3
I agree with X-men being a heavy hitter. However, Kingdom Hearts has the luxury of possibly having cringeworthy dialogue and getting away with it. The way Marvel currently is, they can’t put their writers on something like X-men until they get it together.

The writers have been the ones dropping the ball constantly as of late and this is why I worry about the state of X-men. We’ve already suffered through 4-5 bad X-men movies under Fox and the series ended on a bad note. Under Disney it should be priority number 1 to not make the X-men movie bad or boring.

I mean, he was obviously going to raise a far superior army once he was out, but even so, why NOT take the forces he already has as well? Not taking them would just be a waste.

Also, we only have his word that he could take on all the other Kangs. A villain showing overconfidence is hardly new, I don’t know why this instance should be seen any differently. I’m not saying it’s inconceivable he could figure a way how to do it, but we do know for sure the one time they did clash, he lost. THAT is what you should be taking as fact, not Conqueror Kang’s plans that never got to see the light of day.
Yeah I guess he could've been overconfident, and it is true he lost once. But one would imagine he learnt from his loss and has prepared for a win knowing what the other kangs are capable of now. The tiny army was just way too small and way too pathetic, they seemed like they could be beaten by just about anyone. Maybe if he'd suggested he was gonna build more or do more once outside than we could say yeah that's not enough to take on the kangs. But the way its portrayed in the movie is like he thinks that small battalion is enough to conquer the multiverse and all the other kangs.

The fact that the exiled kang which seems to hint at him being one of the more powerful kangs was thoroughly beaten by ant-man is just not a good start.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm about the biggest Marvel stan here but this...wasn't good. It just does not work. Jonathan Majors is completely wasted and is almost a joke. He has none of the gravitas and importance he should have had. MODOK was funny though.

Ulysses 31

I'm about the biggest Marvel stan here but this...wasn't good. It just does not work. Jonathan Majors is completely wasted and is almost a joke. He has none of the gravitas and importance he should have had. MODOK was funny though.
And this is supposed to be the launch of phase 5...

iu

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well, do you expect The Marvels having the same magic as seeing the Avengers assemble for the first like Feige is telling people? :messenger_winking_tongue:
I suppose I will have to see for myself. I have no disdain for Captain Marvel and found it very enjoyable. This however...it just doesn't work. It fucking blows frankly.

YukiOnna

That was really bad... now the burnout is setting in for me.

That didn't really feel like an Ant-Man movie at all, outside of the Quantum Realm, you could have thrown any hero title on there and it'd fit. I wasn't happy with how much Scott and Hank took a backseat in this one. Ant-Man 2's handling of the stinger was way better.
Also, I don't like the direction they took with Kang at all. What a waste of a character.

gatti-man

Movie was great. Idk what people want if they think this is bad marvel. It’s the best out of phase 4/5. Compared to earlier films it would be middle of the pack. Still great. And gives Kang a nice intro.

People saying kang was under powered or didn’t have gravitas like what? Did you even watch the film? They showed him destroying worlds and civilizations. He gets beat by antman bc he’s totally cut off and unprepared. Even then it took everything they had plus change to beat 1 under prepared and cut off kang. Like what did you actually want out of this? The movie had to have that ending. Kang took antman apart 1 on 1 and almost killed him with his bare hands.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Kinda sad to see the MCU becoming this. The D+ series were quite good I thought. What happened to the movies? The last MCU movie I saw was BP2 on D+, somewhat enjoyed it because it had less stupid jokes. I'll be waiting for this Quantumania to hit D+ too.

Toons

I hope this is the beginning of the end of super hero movies. Worst phase in cinema since there are movies.

I don't get this sentiment. Jts not like other movies aren't getting made. This sort of thing is like hoping pop music "ends ". Sure you may have to look a little harder but there's a lot of other movies out there with the asvent if streaming platforms.

If you dislike superhero films they are ridiculously easy to ignore.

Doom85

I don't get this sentiment. Jts not like other movies aren't getting made. This sort of thing is like hoping pop music "ends ". Sure you may have to look a little harder but there's a lot of other movies out there with the asvent if streaming platforms.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

pramod

Havent watched this but sounds like theres enuf heroes in here to call it the Ant-vengers vs Kang.

Old Antman
New Antman
Kid Antman
Wasp
Wasp 2

DKehoe

Didn't really work for me. The vast majority of the humour fell flat for me and the amount of CGI made it feel weightless. Not as bad as Love & Thunder but that's not saying much.

Batiman

Ya the hate is weird. Watch something else. A lot of great non-cape movies came out recently

This movie is horrible. I zoned out constantly for the first hour or so. I didn't care about the bad green screen Star Wars wannabe stuff. Seriously I was thinking I am watching a sort of retake on Phantom Menace. Only, Phantom Menace was actually better with better world building. This world looks so uninteresting and badly generated, I don't give a shit what Kang is going to plan. They all talk pretentious gibberish. The only redeeming factor in this movie is Michelle Pfeiffer, who stole every scene she was in. And good old Douglas is fun as well. But the guy playing Antman, his daughter and the Wasp are all trash. The CG was fucking terrible. Just look at how they've done MODOK. But also the settings... it looked god awful.

And about Kang, he's a joke (ending and after credits spoilers).

I want to destroy worlds because you don't understand. I am protecting the universe against myself. And then in the AC you see a full stadium of Kangs, even a Pharaoh Kang. Its stupid and hilarious. Its the same as all the Lokis, where the whole parralel versions of characters started.

I've been out of the MCU for a good while. And this one didn't convince me to go watch the X amount of series and films I skipped. Give me DC any day of the week. Sure there is absolute trash, but also great movies like The Batman and I hope Shazam 2 will be as fun as the first.

Remember the early MCU days? Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier.. I would actually rewatch those. But at some point in time the franchise just became throwaway CG fests and I've never rewatched a MCU movie since Endgame. And yeah, it does seem they are creatively bankrupt. Love and Thunder isn't better by the way, they're both the same trash within the same whatever settings. Then I actually respect Eternals more, which was absolutely boring, and yes you could say it was woke, but it dared to take a different approach and it even mentioned DC heroes.
Omg, literally "Kangz n' shit" Lmao.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
A lot of the same people lamenting about phase 4 hated everything about the previous phases... All because it's "capeshit"

Top Bottom