• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

Raven117

I honestly don’t get the reviews. The game is fine. Maybe a few too many crashes but overall, it’s not bad at all. This was a dogpile on EA and Bioware for sure.

It’s not a 9 or anything. But 8/7.5 seems about right.

Mista

Banned
I honestly don’t get the reviews. The game is fine. Maybe a few too many crashes but overall, it’s not bad at all. This was a dogpile on EA and Bioware for sure.

The game is so much fun and now doing the end game stuff while not being bored. Which is something great! Fuck those reviews

Not only that but I've seen some reviewers putting out information that is just flat out wrong. Like being forced to group with everything which is just flat out wrong information. I'm like "wth If you want to you can set the game to private before you launch and go at it solo".

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Agreed. I've got 25 hours into the PC version of the game and I'm having a great time with it. I'm not rushing through the story and I'm taking my time talking to npcs as it expands the lore and you sometimes get a contract to pop up from that conversation.

There's no doubt that the game does have some issues. However, I don't think ANY of them are so bad that they can't be fixed via patch/QOL changes.

It seems like people were just ready to see Bioware burn to the ground and as the game is being distributed by EA, the hate they get doesn't help the game either.

There is definitely a dog pile situation going on here IMO. It's the "cool thing" to hate or be let down with the game. As I've previously said, everyone has an opinion.
I just don't think the game is the dumpster fire that it's being made out to be.

Last edited:
So, the Avenging Herald is a great weapon, and you can get it on Hard.

Right after I got my MC grenade (The Gambit) last night I got a MC assault launcher (Argo's Mace).

This was a game changer for me DPS-wise. I still need MC components to feel good defense-wise on GM2/3.

VertigoOA

Banned
The flight and general movement is great. Playing on hard seems like the way to go to learn abilities eh?

Also turned off all visual post processing effects on pro. Jaggies are a bit more apparent you could say but I can just see enemies better.

Raven117

The game is so much fun and now doing the end game stuff while not being bored. Which is something great! Fuck those reviews
Haven’t gotten that far. But that’s encouraging!
Not only that but I've seen some reviewers putting out information that is just flat out wrong. Like being forced to group with everything which is just flat out wrong information. I'm like "wth If you want to you can set the game to private before you launch and go at it solo".
Yup....so strange....
Agreed. I've got 25 hours into the PC version of the game and I'm having a great time with it. I'm not rushing through the story and I'm taking my time talking to npcs as it expands the lore and you sometimes get a contract to pop up from that conversation.

There's no doubt that the game does have some issues. However, I don't think ANY of them are so bad that they can't be fixed via patch/QOL changes.

It seems like people were just ready to see Bioware burn to the ground and as the game is being distributed by EA, the hate they get doesn't help the game either.

There is definitely a dog pile situation going on here IMO. It's the "cool thing" to hate or be let down with the game. As I've previously said, everyone has an opinion.
I just don't think the game is the dumpster fire that it's being made out to be.
It absolutely isn’t. I can see if you wanted to rush through the game.... it’s going to buckle a little bit on story and lore. Taking my time with it.... there actually seems to be some care taken with the lore and story. The three panels thing when you accept contracts and missions is great as it fleshes out why you are doing it and why it exists in the first place.

Yeah, the loading and inventory is a bit goofy. Menus are weird for a bit (but it makes sense soon enough).

Fort Tarsis, while a bit clunky, isn’t near the flaming dumpster fire it’s made out to be. (You want to go back anyway to pick up more conversations and contracts). Just load up the forge after the mission concludes to pick your new load out.

I’m not saying the game is perfect. It isn’t. But the team gameplay is solid. The world building is getting there. A little more work with the loading into the inventory, and it will be just fine.

Maybe the last two patches really helped the situation and the games reviewers played the older build.... but as of now... day 2 on console: the game is NOT worse than fo76, crackdown.::

This is a vindictive game press who wants to take it to EA (“greedy corporate overlord”) and Bioware (“why didn’t BioWare make the game i think they should make!”).

The game is not getting a fair shake. Moreover, it seems clear that games reviewers have a hard time revieweing the “shlooters” especially in the beginning as it takes awhile to really get in there and lean on the systems.

In any event. I know this sounds like a “defense” and maybe it it. But the game is not a flaming piece of dog turd it’s led to believe.

So I have been playing all morning. I finally got around to finishing up the tomb trials and push the story forward a bit. Been having too much fun in the world.

Game is running pretty good on XOneX still. Graphics are great too. A few things I’d change here and there but I’ve got over 20 hours in this game now and no end in sight yet.
The more I play he more I see how much you'd be missing out if you were rushing through the game. I catch myself just flying around in Freeplay, absorbing the environment, stumbling up hidden caves, and traversing the vertically of the game.im so used to horizontal level layouts, but you're really missing 20-30% of the layout by not exploring up and down. Plus, I'm finding the lore really interesting and attacking the challenges has been a blast.

Mista

Banned
They must fix the bullshit in this game. 90% of the time I’m downed without a reason. Nothing hits me! I’m downed. I evade shots and element attacks, nope, you’ll still get hit and downed.

Last edited:

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
I have the 10 hour free trial. After 5 hours of playing I bought my 2 game of this year. I love it so far

Last edited:

iHaunter

About 16 hours in and I'm incredibly board. It's so hard to only play ONE single Javeline and get good at it because there's so little variation.

The entire map just feels exactly the same. Every time I try to load into the bay from a mission it fails. It's so obnoxious getting one-shot from bum-fuck nowhere. This game does an incredibly terrible job at telling you where the enemies are. Flying would be cool but it lasts like 30 secs before over heating. So many things could be really good, but I can't give this more than a 3/10. Feels like 1/3 of a game. Characters are cringy and corny to boot.

Last edited:
About 16 hours in and I'm incredibly board. It's so hard to only play ONE single Javeline and get good at it because there's so little variation.

The entire map just feels exactly the same. Every time I try to load into the bay from a mission it fails. It's so obnoxious getting one-shot from bum-fuck nowhere.
This game does an incredibly terrible job at telling you where the enemies are. Flying would be cool but it lasts like 30 secs before over heating. So many things could be really good, but I can't give this more than a 3/10. Feels like 1/3 of a game. Characters are cringy and corny to boot.

Yeah, this was one of my complaints during the alpha and demo/beta.

Like in the second room of the first stronghold. The turrets are turrible.

The lock on messages help and it's better as I'm more used to it but not great.

The flying I'll disagree w/ since learning how to keep yourself cool is actually pretty fun imho.

iHaunter

Yeah, this was one of my complaints during the alpha and demo/beta.

Like in the second room of the first stronghold. The turrets are turrible.

The lock on messages help and it's better as I'm more used to it but not great.

The flying I'll disagree w/ since learning how to keep yourself cool is actually pretty fun imho.

There's not always a way to go downward or be near water though. Also who thought it'd be a good idea to to have a message display while you're flying to block your heat... LMAO

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So what happened to cosmetics as loot drops?

As far as I can tell there are none, or at least I haven't seen any (I'm level 16).

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You earn coins. All the customization items in the store can be bought with coins or shards (money).
Ah, so no drops then an it takes forever to earn coin for anything. Kind of lame considering how boring the loot is. It would have really added some excitement to it.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I've watched so many game plays which look fun and I've read so many negative reviews. I'm going through extreme FOMO right now because it looks fun but I'm resisting!

voidenberg

I've watched so many game plays which look fun and I've read so many negative reviews. I'm going through extreme FOMO right now because it looks fun but I'm resisting!

IT IS FUN. But it's also buggy and it lacks content.

The end game consists of three strongholds. Of which one is a recycled story mission. One has a boss that is a regular boss in missions and in world events. Only one stronghold is completely new with a unique boss.

This game will probably be so much better in a year or so.

The question that matters is: If this game is a total flop, will EA keep supporting it?

Xiaoki

Or you could make the decision to play or not play for yourself. Dont let other people dictate what games you like.

Last edited:
wait for a year or so then try it,this game has nothing,same missions over and over,all the weapons look the same,you barely can customize your javelin,you only have available one piece of gear that you can buy and change, lack o vinyls ,there is almost nothing in this game,looks unfinished ,but you will have plenty of load screens

Last edited:

sinnergy

Bought it, to support Bioware, don’t care for EA but they deserve making another game. #supportbioware

They gave me MASS EFFECT last gen, which together with Bioshock brought me back to gaming. In the end, if you don’t buy, you bring down the developer, not the publisher... and I like games made by BioWare, so I like to see new ones from them.

To add , I actually liked what I played on xbox one x, after the day 1 update.

Last edited:
Vanity items from strongholds is coming in the upcoming big patch. I think those items are separate from what's in the mtx shop.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten coins from world event chests and harvest pulls, but the game does a bad job of telling you why you're getting coins.

It can also be because you just completed a challenge that awards coins, but you'll never know that in the moment.

VertigoOA

Banned

The “ham and cheese” got me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m hooked now. I’m not crazy about the loot when it comes to weapons just yet but the build variety is indeed nice.

Are there any cool legendary weapons? I get the feeling there aren’t funky yet awesome exotic tier weapons the caliber of stuff like graviton lance, etc.

Last edited:

CLBridges

Just finished the story, pretty decent. Only level 20 with my ranger and I'm still enjoying the game. I haven't even tried the other javelins. This launch definitely reminds me of vanilla destiny 1. Bioware will be ok.

bilderberg

What's really driving me up the wall is the writing and voice delivery. VO its self is fine, but my god, every other line is delivered in this quirky high pitch tone. And the fucking jokes. Just stop joking. So much forced and cringey banter I can't take it. And the first person dead stare dialogue is creepy. No one breaks eye contact. EVER.

EekTheKat

Pre ordered this on PSN a while back and went through with playing it anyway despite the negative reviews....

And yeah I think I'm tapping out - my playthrough is significantly bugged where multiple entire quest lines are no longer accessible. No idea what caused it, though the frantic disconnects after the day 1 patch probably caused some issues with my progression. A google search shows this issue already posted on EA Answers, hopefully someone at BioWare is working on it.

Might check back in 6 months or a year later, but this progression block pretty much deflated any remaining desire to keep playing this game.

Good luck to you guys willing to soldier through the issues these next few months.

Last edited:

The “ham and cheese” got me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m hooked now. I’m not crazy about the loot when it comes to weapons just yet but the build variety is indeed nice.

Are there any cool legendary weapons? I get the feeling there aren’t funky yet awesome exotic tier weapons the caliber of stuff like graviton lance, etc.

There's nothing extreme. As far as I can tell all masterwork weapons are an upgraded version of a base weapon.

It will have a special proc that the base weapon doesn't have. It will also complete challenges for the base weapon.

Legendaries seem to be bigger and badder versions of the mastercaft.

Kagero

Just finished the story, pretty decent. Only level 20 with my ranger and I'm still enjoying the game. I haven't even tried the other javelins. This launch definitely reminds me of vanilla destiny 1. Bioware will be ok.
Does it have the awesome weapons that Destiny had? I heard the loot in this game is terrible. It's actually a deal breaker for me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This was a game changer for me DPS-wise. I still need MC components to feel good defense-wise on GM2/3.

Purple dailies on gm1 are guaranteed mw component drop. I filled almost every component slot yesterday doing them.

Not really interested in gm2/3 until it starts to make in economic sense.

Last edited:

In your Opinion I'm safe to pick this up just like Metro which received insane bs reviews? Which turned out to be the most gorgeous atmospheric gm I've ever played.

As for Anthem at resetera thread got 500k views and 10k replies, they must REALLY like this gm.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What's really driving me up the wall is the writing and voice delivery. VO its self is fine, but my god, every other line is delivered in this quirky high pitch tone. And the fucking jokes. Just stop joking. So much forced and cringey banter I can't take it. And the first person dead stare dialogue is creepy. No one breaks eye contact. EVER.
YF9ZqyI.jpg

Welcome to the new, Anita Sarkeesian-approved BioWare.

You’ll never have another character like Shepard, Hackett, Garrus, e.g. a character that exudes competence, confidence, and assertiveness. That’s too masculine and patriarchal.

Instead you’ll have all these dorky beta guys who respond to serious situations by making detatched sarcastic quips.

The purpose of all that cringe dialog isn’t actually to be funny or witty. It’s to emasculate the male characters (and perhaps the gamer as well).

Vanity items from strongholds is coming in the upcoming big patch. I think those items are separate from what's in the mtx shop.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten coins from world event chests and harvest pulls, but the game does a bad job of telling you why you're getting coins.

It can also be because you just completed a challenge that awards coins, but you'll never know that in the moment.

I think the game does a bad job telling you a lot of things, unfortunately. Not that the game is necessarily hard to figure out, just that it isn’t the most transparent at times.

I do wish there was a lot more customization and just better loot in general, as well.

lefty1117

YF9ZqyI.jpg

You’ll never have another character like Shepard, Hackett, Garrus, e.g. a character that exudes competence, confidence, and assertiveness. That’s too masculine and patriarchal.

Instead you’ll have all these dorky beta guys who respond to serious situations by making detatched sarcastic quips.

The purpose of all that cringe dialog isn’t actually to be funny or witty. It’s to emasculate the male characters (and perhaps the gamer as well).

Hey dude, pro tip - real men aren't afraid of women.

bilderberg

YF9ZqyI.jpg

It feels like every dialogue encounter is Reddit upvote bait. Imagine Picard and crew sitting around the table discussing battle or diplomatic strategies against an antagonistic alien threat. They have the ability to drop crew members dead at a moments notice, or just nuke the Enterprise into oblivion without hesitation. And Picard says "well I guess they didn't have good parents" and then he just looks around expecting laughter and worf just gives him an equally stupid and out of place joke . A lot of games have this dialogue now, Andromeda was almost equally as bad. Do devs think their audience is so ADD that two people having a normal conversation without sarcasm or quips every other line is going to make the game boring or present their characters as unlikable? It's written like some bad children's cartoon. I would take Destiny 1's dry, over seriousness, over what ever the hell this is.

Last edited:

Bear in mind those chests will only be emotes and vinyls.

Had a blast of a time just freeroaming Bastion last night. Came across what looked like a small puddle, only to dive in and find that it lead to this sort of incredible cave system. I got murdered bad by the inhabitants, but I can't wait to go back there with a buddy later.

So... the game sure has its moments. A lot of the performance issues seem to have been taken care of, so I feel a lot better about this game now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom