• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

So, I'm getting an infuriating bug in legendary bounties.

The entire squad is getting the mission reset on the way to the next waypoint.

Happened twice in row both times after fighting a pair of legendary ash titans on GM1. :messenger_pouting:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Anyone else wish there was a navigation system in freeroam? It is annoying trying to find the right path to places.

Dev1lXYZ

I have enjoyed my time with the game. I’ve got a couple of tombs left to open and have to find some players to res and some more world events to complete. It really does some things that I was hoping that Destiny 2 would have done and it also feels like a step back in some areas that Destiny covered day one- namely loot.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It feels like every dialogue encounter is Reddit upvote bait. Imagine Picard and crew sitting around the table discussing battle or diplomatic strategies against an antagonistic alien threat. They have the ability to drop crew members dead at a moments notice, or just nuke the Enterprise into oblivion without hesitation. And Picard says "well I guess they didn't have good parents" and then he just looks around expecting laughter and worf just gives him an equally stupid and out of place joke . A lot of games have this dialogue now, Andromeda was almost equally as bad. Do devs think their audience is so ADD that two people having a normal conversation without sarcasm or quips every other line is going to make the game boring or present their characters as unlikable? It's written like some bad children's cartoon. I would take Destiny 1's dry, over seriousness, over what ever the hell this is.
Reminds me of the all the mood-killing humor in Marvel movies. Except those movies can get away with it because (unlike Anthem) it’s sometimes genuinely funny or witty.

EA is clearly trying to emulate that safe, crowd-pleasing Hollywood blockbuster formula.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed my time with the game. I’ve got a couple of tombs left to open and have to find some players to res and some more world events to complete. It really does some things that I was hoping that Destiny 2 would have done and it also feels like a step back in some areas that Destiny covered day one- namely loot.

The sentinels you can res during world events and bounties count too.

Just launched a mission, and my javelin loads without a head or gun. And in freeplay, the damned bug that makes enemies disappear is still there. I think I'll come back to this game in a couple of months, if it's still alive.

I just can't believe they are trying to pass this off as an official release. I love the gameplay and maybe it will be a great game after x amount of patches, but at this point this deserves the critical flogging it's receiving.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’ve had a fairly smooth ride on the pro. Two disconnects and both were post mission so nothing too annoying. Performance seems solid too. I’ve turned off all post processing effects and it feels like it improves overall image clarity; no idea if it affects performance but I wouldn’t be surprised.

At level 18.

So... when should I try a stronghold on hard difficulty? Mostly been doing the side missions and currently on that tomb grind.

Is there a reason to approach a build for raw damage/blast damage vs combos?

Experiencing the game’s movement and iron man flight is definitely one of a kind and really, really awesome. It seems like most playing are enjoying it to eh?

Last edited:
I've been playing it solo so far. I've had some awful crashes on PS4. I've had multiple disconnects from the server. It has crashed during missions and I've had some events where it would disconnect then reconnect every 3-4 minutes. I made it to where you're doing all those quests for the tombs.

The saving grace was it keeping my spot in the session and I could finish the mission when I reconnected. I'm having a blast, but these servers suck at the moment.

ESO servers sucked too. Even with a 100 Mbps connection.

Last edited:

bati

ESO servers sucked too. Even with a 100 Mbps connection.

Unless your internet speed is below 1 mbps it has no impact on the quality of connection to the target server. Routing, server load, etc - there are dozens of other factors that impact the end user experience.

So i started with a Colussus and a Storm. Ditched the Storm and went full Colussus up until around lvl 12.

Then, as a result of the weird, kinda broken experience i had getting to that point, i thought, heck ill just start anew, and go Ranger, cos the game seemed smoother now etc,

So, deleted old save, started afresh, did the opening stuff, got to Tarsis and.... could only choose from Colossus and Storm.

This is on me, though, and i accept that, as i think they make that transparent when you're picking your first javelin.

But i'm hoping i get my new javelin so i can pick Ranger once i level this new pilot back up to lvl 8.

I think that's how it works. :/

I think ~20 is fine for Hard for the first two strongholds but maybe not Heart of Rage.

I've fooled around a bit with a blast build. Combos seem too good at least w/ the gear options I have.

But with MCs and Legendaries, it seems you start getting hybrid gear, so not sure it'll matter long-term.

Hah. BioWare can't even do serve shutdown messages right. :messenger_beaming:

On PC, the warning is 2 hours early and it's appearing onscreen every minute.

voidenberg

Had "error loading pilot data" 4 times in a row. Had to play through a stronghold mission without working sound.
You have a plethora of technical issues on top of odd design choices.

I wonder who is to blame here. Maybe frostbite just isn't a good engine for this kind of game.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Started playing this today. I love it. The fact that this game scored a 62% baffles me and shows me I that can no longer take reviews from "games journalists" too seriously.

So i started with a Colussus and a Storm. Ditched the Storm and went full Colussus up until around lvl 12.

Then, as a result of the weird, kinda broken experience i had getting to that point, i thought, heck ill just start anew, and go Ranger, cos the game seemed smoother now etc,

So, deleted old save, started afresh, did the opening stuff, got to Tarsis and.... could only choose from Colossus and Storm.

This is on me, though, and i accept that, as i think they make that transparent when you're picking your first javelin.

But i'm hoping i get my new javelin so i can pick Ranger once i level this new pilot back up to lvl 8.

I think that's how it works. :/
There's a warning right before you pick your first javelin that the choice sticks. No idea if the second choice sticks too. Getting to 3 Javelins is pretty easy anyway, got to to 18 in one weekend and that's with me wasting most of my time picking colors and talking to NPCs instead of doing missions.

Started playing this today. I love it. The fact that this game scored a 62% baffles me and shows me I that can no longer take reviews from "games journalists" too seriously.
You just started playing and already have an opinion!!,play over 20 hours and then after all the bugs and glitches,all the loading screens ,the weak story,lack of loot and weapon diversity,wrong attributes on weapons ,I mean the skill of a masterwork"the last shot reduces recoil" wtf!!!,hard reset of my PS4pro,fuck.., in this state this game is between 4-5 as a score,maybe it will become better,but right after 5-6 years in development this is all they can offer!!THIS IS BIOWARE.

Last edited:

Typhares

I guess I am one of the lucky ones: 15 hours in and no crash/disconnect or major bugs. Playing on PC with ssd the loadings are fine.
I am starting to see how loot should be improved a bit in terms of drops but I'm enjoying the story and talking to NPC, seeing the fort becoming more and more alive, the fountain is now clean!

Hendrick's

I wish more of the GaaS titles would look to a game that came out nearly 20 years ago for some loot inspiration. How did PSO get it so right way back then and how did Anthem get it so wrong?

Last edited:
I got that yesterday and it annoyed the hell out of me. Turns out it’s not a full server shutdown, just the freeplay instance you are in. If you quit that freeplay and join a new one it goes away.

Ahh. OK. Didn't realize it was just that instance. Still, a 2-hour advance notice. Hehe.

For most players, the shine doesn’t wear off until after the story and/or into the endgame. It makes a great first impression.

Typhares

For most players, the shine doesn’t wear off until after the story and/or into the endgame. It makes a great first impression.

I could see that, even so that means I got 30 hours of good entertainment so that's more than most game for me these days.

Hendrick's

So am I the only one who didn't realize there was an event going on yesterday? I completely missed it...would have been nice if the game communicated this in some way.

Typhares

So am I the only one who didn't realize there was an event going on yesterday? I completely missed it...would have been nice if the game communicated this in some way.

I think it was in one of the messages (news) you get when you get in the game but after that is is burried in the cortex challenges.
But no worries that event is coming back regularly.

Last edited:

renzolama

It feels like every dialogue encounter is Reddit upvote bait. Imagine Picard and crew sitting around the table discussing battle or diplomatic strategies against an antagonistic alien threat. They have the ability to drop crew members dead at a moments notice, or just nuke the Enterprise into oblivion without hesitation. And Picard says "well I guess they didn't have good parents" and then he just looks around expecting laughter and worf just gives him an equally stupid and out of place joke . A lot of games have this dialogue now, Andromeda was almost equally as bad. Do devs think their audience is so ADD that two people having a normal conversation without sarcasm or quips every other line is going to make the game boring or present their characters as unlikable? It's written like some bad children's cartoon. I would take Destiny 1's dry, over seriousness, over what ever the hell this is.

D1's vanilla dialogue delivered by dinklebot was the unexpected high point for loot shooters so far - it was campy, sure, but it was also just weird and mysterious enough to convey a unique atmosphere versus the generic saturday morning cartoon flavor they all use now.

Edit: The Division isn't terrible either, at least in conveying a unique atmosphere for that specific game - the random npc chatter is pretty awful though (my back is all fucked up guy and the obnoxious dj come to mind immediately)

Last edited:

bilderberg

D1's vanilla dialogue delivered by dinklebot was the unexpected high point for loot shooters so far - it was campy, sure, but it was also just weird and mysterious enough to convey a unique atmosphere versus the generic saturday morning cartoon flavor they all use now.

Edit: The Division isn't terrible either, at least in conveying a unique atmosphere for that specific game - the random npc chatter is pretty awful though (my back is all fucked up guy and the obnoxious dj come to mind immediately)

It still pains me that they replaced Dinklage with a cartoon sounding Nolan North. They didn't even need to add that stupid robotic voice filter, either. When will developers learn that the majority of people playing their games are fucking stupid and give bad advice. "He sounds so bored" ughh just stfu you ADHD child.

I'm not sure Dinkleage was the high point for looter shooters.

I mean that has to be Handsome Jack, right?

But I actually never minded Dinkleage.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned

Dinklage was great but I blame GAF for the change with the bullshit elitist criticisms. Instead now we have some generic c3po knock. North-bot is trash

Last edited:

ultrazilla

The 4 Titans in the Freeplay map. As a PS4 player, I didn't even bother. I play too slow to gear up fast enough to even dent them.

Yeah and the bummer is that it had actual "loot" exclusive to the event. A vinyl for your Javelin. As was mentioned, the event was buried in the cortex when you first boot
into the game. It was VERY easy to miss if you didn't wait to just skip/back out of the screen and head in game.

Bioware needs to have in game event banners that pop up that exclusively talk about said event like Destiny does.

Xiaoki

It's kind of crazy that the game is getting hammered for lack of content and Bioware doesn't bother to announce a live event, but instead buries it in menus.
Buries it in menus? What are you talking about?

It's on the log-in splash screen. The thing you look at every single time you get in the game.

If you don't bother to read it then that's on you, not the game.

Hendrick's

Buries it in menus? What are you talking about?

It's on the log-in splash screen. The thing you look at every single time you get in the game.

If you don't bother to read it then that's on you, not the game.
I never saw it.

There's a warning right before you pick your first javelin that the choice sticks. No idea if the second choice sticks too. Getting to 3 Javelins is pretty easy anyway, got to to 18 in one weekend and that's with me wasting most of my time picking colors and talking to NPCs instead of doing missions.

Yep just unlocked the Ranger last night as my 3rd, and started the story over. Game seems a bit more stable now as far as performance (for me anyway) and I like the maneuverability of the Ranger compared to the Colossus, so i'll stick with it. Having a blast now after a rocky start.

Stuart360

Is it just me or have they added some new content to the game?. I have been a way for a couple of days, and i just loaded the game and there was another 4gb patch. I have had 2 side missions that i havent had before in 28 hours, seen a new enemy (with some kind of shotgun), and some of the areas look different.
Also turning on HBAO Plus makes the game look a ton better, unless they updated the graphics with the patch as well.

Top Bottom