• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CANADA NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Firewire

Banned
Psychotext said:
Could be people waiting for the new model. I certainly wouldn't buy one now when I knew the new one was just around the corner.

I'm waiting!
I was talking to the manager at my local EB, he said Sony shouldn't have announced anything about the new PSP, because it killed off the originals momentum from the earlier price drop.

Good news for the PS3 though.

sakuragi

Banned
Psychotext said:
I don't know if you didn't get the memo... but the shock would have been the PS3 not outselling the 360 after the chunky price cut. Just like next month will be a shock if the 360 doesn't outsell the PS3.

Not really because the shock factor is still there because the price drop STILL makes it more expensive than the Xbox 360, while previous price drops would make the console in question priced lower than its competition.

SRG01

titiklabingapat said:
Number 2 never really mattered much. Software sales are dismal, bordering on non-existant, almost worldwide.

It's probably supply though.

It could be supply, yeah. There was a week or two where I didn't see any PSPs anywhere, but that was prior to E3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jon_Danger said:
Wii sales down in canada?

Slightly down week to week, but honestly last month was so insanely high its to be expected.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
SRG01 said:
Holy crap. PSP sales just imploded.

Could it be due to the PSP-lite announcement? I doubt it...
Fuzzy said:
Really? FS/BB here in Toronto have had signs up for a while about the PSP being discontinued and the new model would be in stores late August/September.
Like I said earlier, I haven't seen a PSP in stores in Toronto (Scarborough) in about two months.

Link

The Autumn Wind
sakuragi said:
Not really because the shock factor is still there because the price drop STILL makes it more expensive than the Xbox 360, while previous price drops would make the console in question priced lower than its competition.
I think next month will be more telling than this month. You're going to have a lot of people that were on the fence at $600 (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is) that took the plunge at $500. We need to see what sustained sales are like to see how the general public reacts to this, not just the hardcore.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
How did Pachter come to the conclusion that the 360 would drop in sale in the US when it increased in sales in Canada?

Haunted

Wii and DS destroying the rest, but it looks like we'll get our entertainment from the race for 4th (overall), respectively 2nd (next-gen consoles) place.

Anyway: more controversy -> more posts -> more meltdowns -> more entertainment. GAF wins! :lol

driley said:
I'm working with Sonycowboy on a regular basis and will work to have "hard" numbers to you all very soon. U.S. numbers will be "hard" and I'll try to get those to you all early Thursday eve.

A special thanks to Sonycowboy for being patient and working with me on this.
Thank you.

Jammy

Banned
Nintendo really needs to get more Wiis out there. Didn't June have one more week in it, though? I guess the drop off isn't too bad, especially considering there wasn't any real games for the system in July as opposed to the several that came out the month before.

PSP dropped like a rock for some reason.

sakuragi said:
The price drop was always going to suck in a chunk of on the shelf buyers, but the real question is where the sales level out again. People seem to forget that we're talking about the follow on console to the monster that was the PS2.

There's plenty of people waiting to jump on at the right price points I'm sure.

Oh, and someone always does it... who is going to be the first to give us predicted US numbers based on last month's Canada to US ratios? :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Psychotext said:
Oh, and someone always does it... who is going to be the first to give us predicted US numbers based on last month's Canada to US ratios? :D

I gave up doing that because they never seem to match up all that close..at least for Wii.

SRG01

schuelma said:
I gave up doing that because they never seem to match up all that close..at least for Wii.

Canada is Nintendoland! :lol

Actually, I think it may have to do with us having less disposable income than the US... we're just more frugal with entertainment. :p

Fuzzy

driley said:
Thank you. I've been a gaf reader and supporter for awhile now, I just don't post that often.
Do you think you could get us the Canadian LTD HW sales for everything?

GBA
DS
GCN
Wii
PS2
PS3
PSP
Xbox
Xbox 360

Fuzzy

Square2005 said:
anyone have GBA Canada sales back to Feb or Jan?
I don't have monthly data for Jan-Feb for the GBA but I know that they were ~27,200 combined.

Fuzzy said:
I don't have monthly data for Jan-Feb for the GBA but I know that they were ~27,200 combined.
Thanks that helps. How about Mar, Apr, May?
Do you have combined DS or PSP sales for Jan-Feb 'cos I have only Feb. sales for DS & PSP?

Firestorm

Fuzzy said:
Do you think you could get us the Canadian LTD HW sales for everything?

GBA
DS
GCN
Wii
PS2
PS3
PSP
Xbox
Xbox 360

Yes, settle the LTD GCN vs LTD Xbox debate once and for all please.

And Fuzzy's right about PSP stock I think. My friend was looking for one. I think he said that only a few retailers had it, and the only ones they had were the hard to hack ones. So he figured he'd just wait until a slim seeing as the current ones were too hard to hack anyway.

Fuzzy

Square2005 said:
Thanks that helps. How about Mar, APr, May?
Do you have combined DS or PSP sales for Jan-Feb 'cos I have only Feb. sales for DS & PSP?
Sorry, that number I gave you for the GBA was Jan-Mar.

Jan-Mar
DS = ~75,700
PSP = ~37,300

Square2005 said:
Thanks that helps. How about Mar, Apr, May?

Never got any March stuff for anything...

April:
Hardware:
Wii - 42,100
NDS - 34,900
PS2 - 18,000
360 - 12,000
PSP - 12,100
GBA - 7,900
PS3 - 7,200

May:
Hardware:
Wii - 37,300
NDS - 35,900
PS2 - 18,200
PSP - 15,000
360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
GBA - 6,100

FrankT

Well I'm go to say Pachter 360 numbers are most certainly off now. Those numbers are much closer than I thought after his predictions. With that said August will be much more telling, can't wait.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Your wish is my command. Original post edited.

Hardware Jul'07 Jun-07 Adjusted for extra week
Nintendo DS 45,755 45,700 25.15%
Wii 36,419 53,000 -14.11%
PS2 20,278 21,000 20.70%
PS3 15,037 6,500 189.17%
Xbox 360 13,119 13,500 21.47%
GBA 9,750 8,800 38.49%
PSP 5,825 18,500 -60.64%

something about that just seems off. weekly averages are up uniformly 20-25% or more across the board, except for wii, ps3, and psp, and we can explain the latter two. are we sure about the way canada npd is tracked? it seems as if, from these numbers, there's no extra week reported in june. why would july be up so sharply?

lochnesssnowman said:
Never got any March stuff for anything...

April:
Hardware:
Wii - 42,100
NDS - 34,900
PS2 - 18,000
360 - 12,000
PSP - 12,100
GBA - 7,900
PS3 - 7,200

May:
Hardware:
Wii - 37,300
NDS - 35,900
PS2 - 18,200
PSP - 15,000
360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
GBA - 6,100

Thanks!

Fuzzy

Square2005 said:
Do you have Jan-Mar for home consoles? I have Jan & Feb next-gen.
No, the only number I have that you don't is Wii's March number (~26,500). I asked earlier in this thread for all the Canadian March HW numbers but didn't get a response.

GhaleonEB

Very impressive jump for the PS3. Maybe it will be a precurser to the US sales and bioshock us all! Especially Odysseus. :lol

Fuzzy

Odysseus said:
something about that just seems off. weekly averages are up uniformly 20-25% or more across the board, except for wii, ps3, and psp, and we can explain the latter two. are we sure about the way canada npd is tracked? it seems as if, from these numbers, there's no extra week reported in june. why would july be up so sharply?
Canada Day!

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Very impressive jump for the PS3. Maybe it will be a precurser to the US sales and bioshock us all! Especially Odysseus. :lol

i will one day make a ban bet that i actually plan to lose

Fuzzy said:
No, the only number I have that you don't is Wii's March number (~26,500). I asked earlier in this thread for all the Canadian March HW numbers but didn't get a response.
Well this is what I have so far for 2007:

JAN
Wii - 34,000
PS2 - 27,000
x360 - 14,400
PS3 - 6,800

FEB
Wii - 28,556
PS2 - 23,191
DS - 22,870
x360 - 12,390
PSP - 9,311
PS3 - 6,084

MAR
Wii - 26,500

APR
Wii - 42,100
NDS - 34,900
PS2 - 18,000
x360 - 12,000
PSP - 12,100
GBA - 7,900
PS3 - 7,200

MAY
Wii - 37,300
NDS - 35,900
PS2 - 18,200
PSP - 15,000
x360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
GBA - 6,100

JUN
Wii - 53,000
NDS - 45,700
PS2 - 21,000
PSP - 18,500
x360 - 13,500
GBA - 8,800
PS3 - 6,500

JUL / YTD:
NDS - 45,755 / 238,000
Wii - 36,419 / 258,000
PS2 - 20,278 / 128,000 (missing MAR)
PS3 - 15,037 / 48,000 (missing MAR)
x360 - 13,119 / 79,000 (missing MAR)
GBA - 9,750 / 60,000
PSP - 5,825 / 89,000

Can anyone fill the gaps?

Fuzzy

Square2005 said:
Can anyone fill the gaps?
PS2
Jan - 27,000
Feb - 23,191

Subtract your Feb numbers for the DS and PSP from the Jan-Mar numbers I gave you and add them to Apr-July and you'll have the complete YTD for those two.

Xisiqomelir

driley said:
I'm working with Sonycowboy on a regular basis and will work to have "hard" numbers to you all very soon. U.S. numbers will be "hard" and I'll try to get those to you all early Thursday eve.

A special thanks to Sonycowboy for being patient and working with me on this.

You are awesome.

tanod

when is my burrito
Odysseus said:

I'm gonna guess that the price drop on the PS3 got at least a few more people into stores and they left with other systems instead. Isn't July THE slowest time of the year in retail?

phez

Banned
Best Buy had a big deal with a PS3+TV in July iirc, and I think that people that were on the edge of a PS3 purchase used that to take the dive. They're having a similar sale right now too I think.

ps3 #'s are up in july, but i think that's going to be it. heavily marketed 360 price drop + more bundles are going to drive 360 #'s way up, not to mention bioshock.

Brak

Xisiqomelir said:
You are awesome.
That NPD relationship is finally paying off.

Sony appears to have really bungled the changeover for the PSP, since we had reports of the PSP being out of stock in the US too.

Fuzzy said:
PS2
Jan - 27,000
Feb - 23,191

Subtract your Feb numbers for the DS and PSP from the Jan-Mar numbers I gave you and add them to Apr-July and you'll have the complete YTD for those two.

done.

Top Bottom