• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CANADA NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I doubt the mass market will distinguish between the old and new model, outside the price and the name......

Ya... nothing like this happened around the launch of the DSL... oh wait

Parl

US July NPD:

If the US:Canada ratio of each system for July is the same as that of June, US July NPD will look like this...

[NDS] 562,600
[Wii] 262,400
[PS2] 260,700
[PS3] 227,900
[360] 192,800
[GBA] 125,200
[PSP] 91,300

As you can see, remarkably high DS, PS2, PS3, 360 and GBA. And remarkably low Wii and PSP. Especially PSP. Still, I doubt US NPD will look like this.

KINGMOKU

driley said:
I'm sure I could get them to sonycowboy at some point. Hang in there, and thanks in advance for being patient.
Well holy crap.

I am gladly eating both my feet right now. SC, hats off, and driley, thank you.

Good things come to those who wait, and crow comes to those who open thier fat face.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Those percentages make no sense to me. What do they mean? The PlayStation 3 had a 130% bump, not a 190%. Wtf?

Parl said:
US July NPD:

If the US:Canada ratio of each system for July is the same as that of June, US July NPD will look like this...

[NDS] 562,600
[Wii] 262,400
[PS2] 260,700
[PS3] 227,900
[360] 192,800
[GBA] 125,200
[PSP] 91,300

As you can see, remarkably high DS, PS2, PS3, 360 and GBA. And remarkably low Wii and PSP. Especially PSP. Still, I doubt US NPD will look like this.

Yeah, that won't happen. I'm surprised that 360 weekly sales are actually up month over month in June and July, given the speculation over the price drop.

Parl said:
US July NPD:

[NDS] 562,600
[Wii] 262,400
[PS2] 260,700
[PS3] 227,900
[360] 192,800
[GBA] 125,200
[PSP] 91,300

You've got to remove Canada Day's affect first before making projections.:D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PSP sales are low because many stores in TO are not ordering more until the new model hits, but that's all for PS3 after a $150 price drop here?

tanod

when is my burrito
ComputerNerd said:
Hey, you're right. It's a 130% jump.

It appears the percentages are based off the actual values from June and not the shown "4-week adjusted" June numbers.

Sony over-estimated the amount of stock they have in the retail channel when they set a release date for the PSP-2000 and initiated the price cut. Woops.

Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with PS3s and run out of 60s before they produce enough stand alone 80s to replace it at $500.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Square2005 said:
Now you're just trying to piss me off. :lol

Lets look at what I posted before
Fuzzy said:
Square2005 said:
JUL / YTD:
NDS - 45,755 / 261,000
PSP - 5,825 / 98,000
I gave you the Q1 total (Jan-Mar) so you have to subtract February.
Subtract 22,870 from the DS and 9,311 from the PSP for those two numbers. You subtracted double those amounts.

Fuzzy said:
Now you're just trying to piss me off. :lol

Lets look at what I posted before
Subtract 22,870 from the DS and 9,311 from the PSP for those two numbers. You subtracted double those amounts.

Try it again, captain!

AlphaSnake said:
Those percentages make no sense to me. What do they mean? The PlayStation 3 had a 130% bump, not a 190%. Wtf?

July had one less week of sales than June

Percentage Change = (July/4)/(June/5) - 1

toxk_02

Black Republican
AlphaSnake said:
The numbers are adjusted for weekly sales. June was a five week period, July a four week period.

PS3: [(July/4) - (June/5)] / (June/5) = 189%

BEATEN

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
July had one less week of sales than June

Percentage Change = (July/4)/(June/5) - 1

sc, any way to explain nearly everyone being up 20-25 percent? that doesn't seem likely, to be honest.

Parl

AlphaSnake said:
I think they're all wrong.

Tanod: I'm confused.
125*July/June - 100

(The extra 25% is because of the 25% bigger month of June compared to July)

Edit: Beaten twice...

Odysseus said:
sc, any way to explain nearly everyone being up 20-25 percent? that doesn't seem likely, to be honest.
Canada Day.

Odysseus said:

Other than additional retail participation, PS3 price drop, PSP shortage / rebound from price drop, and Wii Supply, I can't explain it. And I asked for a confirmation just to be sure. If I find out more I'll let you know. Essentially, the raw numbers for 3 platforms show almost exactly the same numbers, so I'm a bit suspicious.

NPD Canada doesn't seem to follow US purchasing trends very well at all and have a different movement to the market based on both HW & SW sales.

Shepherd said:
How did Pachter come to the conclusion that the 360 would drop in sale in the US when it increased in sales in Canada?
If his guesses were GAF-only I'd be tempted to say the X360 value is a joke... but they're not so I don't know what to make of that.

Firestorm

Square2005 said:
What Canada Day? :lol
So Canada Day may boost U.S. sales instead of Canadian!?

Canadians enjoy nothing more than boosting the economy of their neighbours on their country's birthday!
We're just that nice.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
bud said:
ot, but my predictions for us sales in august.

ps3 - 133k
360 - 180k
wii - 399k
ds - rip
ps2 - 210k
gba - 134k

everything will be back to normal by september, but yeah, rip ds.
You don't think September numbers will be affected by Halo release in any way?

Gadfly

Pureauthor said:
I'm not that greedy.

Also their money is probably stained with the blood of all the goats they murdered. Because Sony is evil like that.
fixed it for you:lol

Gadfly

Marconelly said:
Wow, I remember PS3 was selling like shit here in Canada, for a while even unproportionally worse than PS3 in the US.

If I read the numbers below correctly, in last few months, compared to 360, PS3 has done better proportionally in Canada than US. But looks like the trend was the ratio was approaching US ratio. I don't have the numbers before April but if trend did not reverse itself for some reason, chances are PS3/360 ratio has always been better in Canada than US.
Or you were not comparing to 360 to begin with?

APRIL Canada:
360 - 12,800
PS3 - 7,200
Ratio: 1.78:1

APRIL USA:
360: 174k
PS3: 82k
Ratio: 2.12:1

MAY Canada:
360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
Ratio: 1.89:1

MAY USA:
360 155,932
PS3 81,604
Ratio: 1.91:1

JUNE Canada:
360 - 13,500
PS3 - 6,500
Ratio: 2.08:1

June USA:
360 - 198,000
PS3 - 98,000
Ratio: 2.02:1

spwolf

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I doubt the mass market will distinguish between the old and new model, outside the price and the name......

lol, most stores didnt have psp's in July anymore... deal with it.
I wonder what will happen in August... PSP am doomed...

and then in Sept, we will be hit with... "wow, PSP doing great"

:)

as to PS3 sales :)

Frillen

I thought someone said that NPD Canada used the calendar months? But this clearly shows us they use they same pattern as NPD US (4,4,5,4,4,5,4,4,5,4,4,5).

Frillen said:
I thought someone said that NPD Canada used the calendar months? But this clearly shows us they use they same pattern as NPD US (4,4,5,4,4,5,4,4,5,4,4,5).

Whoever said that had no idea what they were talking about. Happens all the time.

NPD gets it's data from retailers. EVERY RETAILER ON THE PLANET (slight exaggeration) uses a 4-4-5 calendar and have been for a long time. It's the best way to have comparable sales year to year, without having to worry how many weekends fell into a month year to year. Weekends rule retail and using a calendar would cause sales comparisons to swing significantly thus hurting sales and inventory analysis.

It also permeates the accounting of staffing, overhead costs, advertising along with sales and inventory.

So, yes NPD Canada uses the 4-4-5 calendar.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Whoever said that had no idea what they were talking about. Happens all the time.

NPD gets it's data from retailers. EVERY RETAILER ON THE PLANET (slight exaggeration) uses a 4-4-5 calendar and have been for a long time. It's the best way to have comparable sales year to year, without having to worry how many weekends fell into a month year to year. Weekends rule retail and using a calendar would cause sales comparisons to swing significantly thus hurting sales and inventory analysis.

It also permeates the accounting of staffing, overhead costs, advertising along with sales and inventory.

So, yes NPD Canada uses the 4-4-5 calendar.
I thought it was stupid also but people kept saying it and nobody (i.e. you) ever stopped them. That's why I asked it again in this thread but was ignored.

KINGMOKU

Fuzzy said:
I thought it was stupid also but people kept saying it and nobody (i.e. you) ever stopped them. That's why I asked it again in this thread but was ignored.
What happened to your avatar?

:(

RBH

sonycowboy said:
Your wish is my command. Original post edited.

Hardware Jul'07 Jun-07 Adjusted for extra week
Nintendo DS 45,755 45,700 25.15%
Wii 36,419 53,000 -14.11%
PS2 20,278 21,000 20.70%
PS3 15,037 6,500 189.17%
Xbox 360 13,119 13,500 21.47%
GBA 9,750 8,800 38.49%
PSP 5,825 18,500 -60.64%

Pachter's 360 prediction looks even odder to me now after seeing this.

OK,

Who would want to participate in an NPD Canada prediction thread? :lol

We could start to track these a bit more seriously and really get a better handle on our neighbors to the North. They're experiencing 60% sales growth this year and will end up probably close to $1.5B in sales for the year or so. They're larger than most of the regions that we get numbers for with the exception of US, Japan, & the UK.

That, and, they're a decent precursor of potential US sales. Right now, we don't really have enough data to correlate it to US sales yet, but with enough history, we probably can approximate it a bit better than we are currently.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sonycowboy said:
OK,

We could start to track these a bit more seriously and really get a better handle on our neighbors to the North. They're experiencing 60% sales growth this year and will end up probably close to $1.5B in sales for the year or so. They're larger than most of the regions that we get numbers for with the exception of US, Japan, & the UK.

That, and, they're a decent precursor of potential US sales. Right now, we don't really have enough data to correlate it to US sales yet, but with enough history, we probably can approximate it a bit better than we are currently.

I'm in. Canada sales are very interesting- similar enough to the U.S to get a good idea of U.S sales, but enough of its own market to stand on it own.

SRG01

sonycowboy said:
OK,

It depends. Are we going to restrict it to Canadian posters only?

Top Bottom