• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan (27M) is being abusive at work

22•22

Doesnt need recognition
Dan, if you read this, keeping doing you.

Mash Up Good Job GIF

Smokken

Thank God we don't have any women at my workplace. We get shit done, without any of this drama.
To those who don't believe this is real, you have clearly not worked with crazy women before.

MilkLizard

I do. The technical subs are ok. But the social aspects are basically like Ree. And since they're splashed on the front page before login, they can't easily be avoided.
I just have a different experience. My front-page is just subs I follow and "social aspects" are all over the place.
their up/down vote mechanic means there is no such thing.

Even the Tim Dillon subreddit is full of soys lmao.
I don´t even know, or care, who that is. Same goes for people that still use "soy" to belittle people.

Smiggs

I don't know for many posts I've read online over the years that criticize men for being creepy or inappropriate towards women, and is often followed up with responses about "how hard is it for men to not treat women with respect??!!!".

So here's an example of our homeboy Dan, being super professional, not showing any "toxic masculinity", and still gets the fire from his female, sorry -- women coworkers, and it still makes them feel weird.

Some people can't win, man. Or some people are just never happy. Fuck if I know anymore.

This is exactly what happens to me in a way. I am shy with women and barely talk with them at work because I did not feel like talking with them, because I fear there could be problems with miscommunication (to be in a position like that story). Then after time knowing I could open up and talk more.

Now the interesting part, still keeping it professional (like this guy), but more open to talking about different things (but only at work, with a lot of people to avoid issues). I knew some of them talked to me because they wanted something more "friendly" (you know what I mean), but I keep ignoring it.

Most of the time it ended in the same situation over time:

Why are you not getting a GF? Why not her (co-worker)? Do you like this type of girl? She is single, why not go with her? You are weird. Are you gay? You are gay.....add insults and blah blah blah.

I was not interested in any of them, and would never be. And truth be told, there is nothing women hate more than being "ignored" like this guy and I did. I bet they want this guy, and since he ignores them, they are pissed off.

Literally:

Glenn Close GIF

WoJ

Dan sounds like a cool guy. These chicks sound like bitches. In a me too world I avoid interaction with women at work as much as possible.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This is exactly what happens to me in a way. I am shy with women and barely talk with them at work because I did not feel like talking with them, because I fear there could be problems with miscommunication (to be in a position like that story). Then after time knowing I could open up and talk more.

Now the interesting part, still keeping it professional (like this guy), but more open to talking about different things (but only at work, with a lot of people to avoid issues). I knew some of them talked to me because they wanted something more "friendly" (you know what I mean), but I keep ignoring it.

Most of the time it ended in the same situation over time:

Why are you not getting a GF? Why not her (co-worker)? Do you like this type of girl? She is single, why not go with her? You are weird. Are you gay? You are gay.....add insults and blah blah blah.

I was not interested in any of them, and would never be. And truth be told, there is nothing women hate more than being "ignored" like this guy and I did. I bet they want this guy, and since he ignores them, they are pissed off.

Literally:

Glenn Close GIF
There's a chick at work that has a bunch of badges from anime conventions. Instead of hitting on her, I just ask if she's a furry all the time.

Jsisto

I want to be friends with Dan. Sounds like he’s a real hit with the other guys at the office! He probably doesn’t exist, though.
Anyway, I wish women thirsted for my attention so much that they threatened to call HR. That would actually be kinda sick.

Ryllix_

Dan is making the only viable choice. I make it a habit to just not socialize much with women at work. It's not worth the risk of anyone even slightly taking a joke the wrong way or making shit up in their head because they misunderstood something you said. It's better to just do my job and go home.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't know for many posts I've read online over the years that criticize men for being creepy or inappropriate towards women, and is often followed up with responses about "how hard is it for men to not treat women with respect??!!!".

So here's an example of our homeboy Dan, being super professional, not showing any "toxic masculinity", and still gets the fire from his female, sorry -- women coworkers, and it still makes them feel weird.

Some people can't win, man. Or some people are just never happy. Fuck if I know anymore.
It's womyn u misogynist pig

Cyberpunkd

I do. The technical subs are ok. But the social aspects are basically like Ree. And since they're splashed on the front page before login, they can't easily be avoided.
This, Reddit is terrible for peddling stuff to recommend to you, the algorithm is also dumb AF: “hey, you scrolled through this one post, here’s any other 10 from the same community, do you want to join it?”.

ahtlas7

Dan is in a hurry to get home and check out those pics he took with his hidden camera placed in the girls not male bathroom, obviously.

Jennings

Dan is in a hurry to get home and check out those pics he took with his hidden camera placed in the girls not male bathroom, obviously.
If everybody's answers in this thread were some form of projection, your answer would be concerning.

Women playing matchmaker. "The only thing you guys have in common is that you are single."
At least I changed jobs to a place full of guys(tech related).....for a while...there are 3 girls now, but since I am married and working from home there is no need to interact with anyone XD

AJUMP23

Wasn't expecting a living example of "treat em mean, keep em keen".

Dan should go to HR.
HR is probably run by a woman, and HRs job is to protect the company, and since women are a protected class in corporate entities, HR will bend over backwards to make the woman feel "seen". Dan should clearly go talk to the HR rep first and see if they want to eat lunch.

HR is probably run by a woman, and HRs job is to protect the company, and since women are a protected class in corporate entities, HR will bend over backwards to make the woman feel "seen". Dan should clearly go talk to the HR rep first and see if they want to eat lunch.

Indeed, strictly a business lunch. Dan is all business.

It's not so different from things I've had happen at work, including the HR part.
I witnessed one or two disagreeable HR reports myself. That said, I have never seen anybody getting reported for an offence on the level this, where the accused is merely not interested in non-professional interaction. This just seems fictional and I have a hard time believing you've seen anything remotely as unjustified. I work in one of the most progressive places you could possibly envision.

Outlier

I will keep saying this. The sexes should be separated in the work place, where there is a sizable number of employees.

People like the women complaining about Dan are what ruin work cultures. Dan is doing everything right. He is socializing with the people he relates to and remains professional with those he doesn't.

I witnessed one or two disagreeable HR reports myself. That said, I have never seen anybody getting reported for an offence on the level this, where the accused is merely not interested in non-professional interaction. This just seems fictional and I have a hard time believing you've seen anything remotely as unjustified. I work in one of the most progressive places you could possibly envision.
I'm a teacher and they threatened to fire me because I don't ask children questions about their personal lives. My direct supervisor at the time was extremely interested in forming emotional relationships with children; he said repeatedly that it's the purpose of a school. To keep my job, I had to promise to make myself more effeminate--to raise the pitch of my voice, use more words to say the same thing or just to talk for the sake of using words rather than to convey information, etc--like he himself did.

If you don't think that's not "anything remotely as unjustified," then okay.

Jennings

I will keep saying this. The sexes should be separated in the work place, where there is a sizable number of employees.

People like the women complaining about Dan are what ruin work cultures. Dan is doing everything right. He is socializing with the people he relates to and remains professional with those he doesn't.
This is an interesting take. Have you or your cabal written any sort of manifesto yet?

I'm a teacher and they threatened to fire me because I don't ask children questions about their personal lives. My direct supervisor at the time was extremely interested in forming emotional relationships with children; he said repeatedly that it's the purpose of a school. To keep my job, I had to promise to make myself more effeminate--to raise the pitch of my voice, use more words to say the same thing or just to talk for the sake of using words rather than to convey information, etc--like he himself did.

If you don't think that's not "anything remotely as unjustified," then okay.
I agree it would be unjustified if your story was true

Outlier

Have you or your cabal written any sort of manifesto yet?
No offense, but what kind of nonsense question is that?

My point is that if there is trend of drama between the sexes in workplaces (with many employees), then they should work separately, to avoid those issues from occurring.

Revoh

And truth be told, there is nothing women hate more than being "ignored" like this guy and I did. I bet they want this guy, and since he ignores them, they are pissed off.

They actually love it when they feel ignored by the guy they are attracted to, they might say they hate it but it makes them *feel* something, and by doing that you win. Women == emotions

Top Bottom