• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes January 13th

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Nah.

Incorrect.

yNP4Zl.gif

With the exception of Sports games, taking a percentage of the US market can get you real close to CAN, for like years and years now.

Always goofy in launch years due to HW allocation, and varies based on currency strength.

the currency change last year effectively gave the XB1 a bigger price cut when MS didn't raise the price of their console. PS4 is still at $450 after launching at $400.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Any hint about amiibo this month (in US, let's specify)? :p

Ty4on

While we wait, I'm gonna ask a question. How does NPD/GFK track the leakers?
They could give a suspect forged numbers. Say console x sold 712k, they could tell the suspect it was 713k and see if that number got leaked.

I assume that's one way, I don't know of any official methods :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Canada!

Amazon.ca fooled us, they said the Ouya was the best-selling console.

Bastards.

They could give a suspect forged numbers. Say console x sold 712k, they could tell the suspect it was 713k and see if that number got leaked.

I assume that's one way, I don't know of any official methods :p

the npd group slightly changes some numbers.

so a figure to one client might be 712,834, and a figure to another client might be 712,836.

they don't do significant changes like 712k to 713k.

Ty4on

Edit: ah, that explains the low accuracy. And thanks for the data, didn't know NPD gave full numbers.
What if it's 132,496 and 132,506 though? :p
gfk logs into my gaf account sometimes

you can't tell if i'm joking
Leak away! The ninjas are made up :p

ZhugeEX

Banned

Just out of curiosity, how accurate is NPD. I know that's impossible to answer and NPD is far more accurate than other trackers.

However how much of what they get is hard/primary data and how much is "estimated"?

GhaleonEB

so a figure to one client might be 712,834, and a figure to another client might be 712,836.

This was actually how a GAF leaker was identified many years ago. Someone posted exact figures rather than rounding, and that was that.

ascii42

For some systems that ones digit could be pretty significant.

Chobel

That's interesting, and I suppose the clients have no problem with not getting 100% accurate numbers?

This was actually how a GAF leaker was identified many years ago. Someone posted exact figures rather than rounding, and that was that.

Its a dangerous game. I'm glad NPD isn't something that I talk about, also don't get the exact report so that helps :)

Props to Aqua

Top Bottom