• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Doc Evils

Niks said:
fq5.jpg

fq7.jpg

Ingame.
credit MrJollyLivesNextDoor for the pics.

DUUUUDE IT'S CGI!

m0dus

Banned
Akira said:
I wonder how GT5 is able to do this? Besides PD being gods in their craft of course. Has PD ever divulged anything about their physics engine? Turn 10 seems proud of their 360 FPS refresh rate of their physics engine, suggesting perhaps that their competition isn't doing the same.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but do all the GT5 cars now have damage modelling, or only race/rally vehicles?

People are saying GT has more cars on track, as correct as that is the payoff is less polygons for the circuit graphics, some of forza 3's tracks look amazing and should be lovely for photo mode.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Y2Kev said:
He didn't say that. Can you read?

Maybe you should stop rolling your eyes and focus them on the moonspeak characters that display themselves on the monitor in front of which you have so graciously sat.

I still made my point, which you clearly take with some sting.

Jostifer

beast786 said:
So How did GT5 win?
Details Please
1080p native vs 720p native
1000cars vs 400cars
Polyphony modeling standard (future proofed) vs lower T10 modeling standard
16cars on track vs 8cars
Godly Polyphony lightning engine
WRC & Nascar licenses
Rally racing
G25/27 wheel support
Head tracking

Interfectum

Jostifer said:
1000cars vs 400cars
16cars on track vs 8cars
WRC & Nascar licenses
Rally racing
Head tracking

This.

m0dus

Banned
Doc Evils said:
DUUUUDE IT'S CGI!

nah, it's a photo taken off the TV, It tends to enhance color/contrast in a way which tends to make the shots look more 'real'.

case and point,

256vllu.jpg

if it's taken off a TV screen, it's probably not representative.

KHarvey16 said:
Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel is better than the G25 or the G27 and only $20 more than the latter. You can use it on PC, XBox360 or PS3.

You can even keep your G25 pedals.

The compatibility on the PS3 is very spotty. (based on their support section on Fanatec.com) Still prefer the feel of the G25 over the Fanatec. G25 is coming down in price now because of the G27 release.

phil_t

Banned
jett said:
GT5 running in a higher resolution and displaying double the amount of cars than Forza 3 are facts.

I think T10 spend their consoles resource differently..

The draw distance/scenery so far looks very epic..

The rear view mirror/side view mirrors show full detail including tyre smoke.

The cars leave tyre marks when traction breaks

The cars can have massive user liveries

The cars are massively upgradeable

The cars all have deformation damage...

The shadows are very clean (one or two low res ones are present)

The larger reflections are 60fps with high detail, even looking at an AI car in your rear view mirror shows the same high res 60fps reflections in their bonnets.

These are also all facts..

You can make up any facts you want to suit your own cause..

For the record, I can think of many things GT5 does very well also, but since I can imagine this thread is going to be predominantly GT fans (not fanboys) it's nice to be on the underdog's side..

edit, and in case you hadn't heard, they even model the Lugnuts... ;)

Shads

Damn, GT5 looks so impressive, definitely graphically better than Forza 3. The problem for me is what kind of features are going to be in it and how many more years is this game going to take to come out?

LiK

m0dus said:
nah, it's a photo taken off the TV, It tends to enhance color/contrast in a way which tends to make the shots look more 'real'.

case and point,

http://i38.tinypic.com/256vllu.jpg

if it's taken off a TV screen, it's probably not representative.[/QUOTE]

listen to this man.

Doc Evils

m0dus said:

case and point,

256vllu.jpg

if it's taken off a TV screen, it's probably not representative.

It was sarcasm

KHarvey16

gutterboy44 said:
The compatibility on the PS3 is very spotty. Still prefer the feel of the G25 over the Fanatec. G25 is coming down in price now because of the G27 release.

Just be aware you are in a large minority before throwing out the emoticons.

i hope the head tracking is well implemented so that it gives a true 3D effect rather than just giving me easier control of looking around using the in car view.

Will GT finally have the ability to do burnouts, 360s, skid marks that stay, proper collision physics? Will it finally lose its rubberband AI and finally be a racing simulator and not just a driving one? Will 1000 cars really matter when 300 of them are clones?

Sure GT looks great, but thats all the fans really have. F3 looks comparable but GT5 has it beat. But what else does GT5 have for being a game with such a long development time and being a game dating back to the PS1? NOTHING!!! Forza has it beat where it really matters. Gameplay.

Prove me wrong.

Jostifer said:
1000cars vs 400cars
16cars on track vs 8cars
WRC & Nascar licenses
Rally racing
Head tracking

Even though I'm a big fan of GT5, you have to agree that Forza has done alot of shit that is going to be brilliant.

Vehicle damage for all cars with rolling
Livery Editor with unlimited possibilities
Better online system/infrastructure (compared to GT5P, ofcourse. Hopefully, it's improved for GT5)
Track resolution higher than GT5
Rewind mode (not a big fan of it but alot of people are looking forward to it)

Ofcourse, there are the things that I know about Forza, and I haven't even been following Forza's modes.

Benson

The real comparison is obviously all about how difficult the names are to pronounce.

Gran Turismo 5: Some people will still say grand and turismo could be mispronounced.
Forza Motorsport 3: Nobody really knows how to say forza

GT5 wins!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
plagiarize said:
i hope the head tracking is well implemented so that it gives a true 3D effect rather than just giving me easier control of looking around using the in car view.

You should have added something like "and Forza 3 doesn't have it" to stay on topic.

Melfice7

m0dus said:
I'm a bit out of the loop, but do all the GT5 cars now have damage modelling, or only race/rally vehicles?

only on race cars, which are probably half of forza's total car number :p

Akira

shinnn said:
No, it's not. Even worse. I never seen this in prologue.

2cx6kw8.gif

Is that a new long model of the Evo? :lol

It seems like the car model changed after it disappeared behind the Subaru. Probably a bug or someone edited the gif.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't realize the Evo was there already just behind the Subaru. And the oncoming car fused with the Evo. :lol

FFChris

GT5 ~5 years in development.
FM2 ~2.5 years in development.

I'd be surprised if GT5 wasn't the better featured game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Are we likely to get any real in game shots for GT5 in the next couple of days or so? Sure, these cgi/in game engine high resolution bullshot renders look nice and all but they are not going to be representative of the actual driving experience.
From what i've seen. The some of the FM3 look to be more in game realistic.

SpacLock

Benson said:
The real comparison is obviously all about how difficult the names are to pronounce.

Gran Turismo 5: Some people will still say grand and turismo could be mispronounced.
Forza Motorsport 3: Nobody really knows how to say forza

GT5 wins!

I prefer the Peter Moore pronunciation. Fort-zuh

TTP said:
You should have added something like "and Forza 3 doesn't have it" to stay on topic.
good point.

head tracking Gran Turismo 5 will clearly be better than the head tracking in Forza Motorsport 3 even if it doesn't provide a 3D effect.

dejay

Banned
skyfinch said:
Too late.
txgmgt5tokyosubaruimpre.gif

Ooh, haven't seen that one. Still, it could be off an earlier build.

(edit)

shinnn said:
No, it's not. Even worse. I never seen this in prologue.

2cx6kw8.gif

I skim the GT5 thread fairly regularly but I haven't seen that one either. Nasty. Hopefully things have picked up.

D'ultimate said:
Will GT finally have the ability to do burnouts, 360s, skid marks that stay, proper collision physics? Will it finally lose its rubberband AI and finally be a racing simulator and not just a driving one? Will 1000 cars really matter when 300 of them are clones?

Sure GT looks great, but thats all the fans really have. F3 looks comparable but GT5 has it beat. But what else does GT5 have for being a game with such a long development time and being a game dating back to the PS1? NOTHING!!! Forza has it beat where it really matters. Gameplay.

Prove me wrong.

What do burnouts, 360s, or skid marks have to do with gameplay? And looking at videos of F3's collision physics, "proper" isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe it.

I'll take more cars on the track to wrangle with over all that stuff.

Jostifer

FFChris said:
GT5 ~5 years in development.
FM2 ~2.5 years in development.

I'd be surprised if GT5 wasn't the better featured game.
You're not including development time for Tourist Trophy and GT PSP.

And somehow Forza 2 development isn't counted but GT5p development time is.

Cheeto

Confidence Man said:
What do burnouts, 360s, or skid marks have to do with gameplay? And looking at videos of F3's collision physics, "proper" isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe it.
The physics engine maybe?

Top Bottom