• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They never explained why the Tooth Fairy targeted the houses, right?

It was clear that they wanted to spend two seasons, because the division is way too clear.

What happened to Hanni's sister?
Why did Bedelia let herself get caught?
Why did The Red Dragon shoot Hannibal through the window?
Why did they decide to follow him to a random house and wait for him?
Why did the ending have them fall?
Who was going to taste the food at the end?
Why did they finally do a reveal of some kind of love interest between them at this point? (It was clear from the start?)
Why did Will have a family for like a second? (Yes, I know, but there was really no reason in this season. I wish they would have changed that.)
Why did the lesbians happen? (Was not expecting that trippy 60/70s kaleidoscope scene at all.)
Why was Alana even hired by the Vergers?
Why did we waste all that time?

It was clear that they wanted to spend two seasons, because the division is way too clear.

What happened to Hanni's sister?
Why did Bedelia let herself get caught?
Why did The Red Dragon shoot Hannibal through the window?
Why did they decide to follow him to a random house and wait for him?
Why did the ending have them fall?
Who was going to taste the food at the end?
Why did they finally do a reveal of some kind of love interest between them at this point? (It was clear from the start?)
Why did Will have a family for like a second? (Yes, I know, but there was really no reason in this season. I wish they would have changed that.)
Why did the lesbians happen? (Was not expecting that trippy 60/70s kaleidoscope scene at all.)
Why was Alana even hired by the Vergers?
Why did we waste all that time?

So many of these questions don't need to answered or have been answered already.

What happened to Hanni's sister? He ate her
Why did Bedelia let herself get caught? To play the victim which she had planned all along and continue her freedom
Why did The Red Dragon shoot Hannibal through the window? So he could set up his filming and enjoy his kill
Why did they decide to follow him to a random house and wait for him? See above
Why did the ending have them fall? Will loved Hannibal but knew that even if they did survive their injuries, he couldnt live a normal life with Hannibal since he would want to continue to kill innocents
Who was going to taste the food at the end? Its a hint that Hannibal survived.
Why did they finally do a reveal of some kind of love interest between them at this point? (It was clear from the start?) Because Will hadnt come to that conclusion himself yet, through his journey with Hannibal and from talking to Bedelia he realised his true feelings
Why did Will have a family for like a second? (Yes, I know, but there was really no reason in this season. I wish they would have changed that.) Because he had 'moved' on from Hannibal, yet when he got the chance to be with him again he realised that he meant more to him than his new family did
Why did the lesbians happen? (Was not expecting that trippy 60/70s kaleidoscope scene at all.) Because why not? Margo was a lesbian in the books i believe and there is such a thing as some people being gay/bi.
Why was Alana even hired by the Vergers? She had insight into Hannibals personality and could advise them on how best to track him down through her knowledge of his behavious
Why did we waste all that time?We didnt? Not sure where you are going with this but to tell a story you need to actually tell it and not skip through a lot of important details that add depth to it.
Answers above.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Overall consensus?

Well, only speaking for myself I thought it was mostly good, but easily the weakest of the three seasons.

The second half of the season is much better than the first half.

The first half was the worst stretch of the series. It recovered well once Hannibal was arrested.

Still, this show is starting to get long in the tooth for me. The style is really inconsistent now. In the first half all the stuff with Chiyo was all over the place and way over the top. Then the stuff between the Red Dragon and Reba seemed very reserved and almost plain.

The best stuff is always between Hannibal and Will, they blend in the surrealism and menace perfectly in terms of the sound and visual design.

From Fuller (Grantland):

You look at broadcast television — when we moved to Saturdays [in the U.S.] but were still airing on Thursdays in Canada, we kept our audience numbers the first week, and then the second week they dropped by half, because the audience realized that they could BitTorrent it after Thursday night and watch it then.

Is that true? Did the US have to watch this show on Saturday? So dumb to split the audience like that. And BT is a major factor here for sure.

-griffy-

Banned
Is that true? Did the US have to watch this show on Saturday? So dumb to split the audience like that. And BT is a major factor here for sure.

Yes, once NBC cancelled the show, and local markets were complaining about the low ratings as a lead-in to their news broadcasts, NBC dumped it to Saturday. They also stopped airing promos for the next episode during the credits.

Blader

lol, is "Why did the ending have them fall?" really a question? Because there was a cliff, and an easy enough way to ambiguously kill off your leads is to knock them over said cliff.

-griffy-

Banned
Scully confirmed for commentary:
Recording commentary for @NBCHannibal S3 DVD. Lucky me to watch with @BryanFuller in my ear.
COFIcpkVAAA64Vg.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im a little late with this but the ending was fantastic. It wasnt quite as high as S2 season finale but im completely satisfied. Final scene was cool. i was really hoping that Bedelia would make it out. Shes the perfect candidate to try and take out Hannibal via Mithradatism. Well, besides Will.

Love the show. Hope theres more. Will Day 1 the DVD/Blu-ray release of S3 (im taking that its happening because of Anderson doing commentary).

bebop242

I'm hoping for a full Bluray collection of the 3 seasons. Already have season 1 on dvd and season 2 on bluray. Would buy a full collection day one.

Bloodrage

Banned
So am I the only one who interpreted the ending as
Bedelia removing her leg as a peace offering for Hannibal's unfortunate return into her life, which was for nothing, kept waiting at the table, since Will and Hannibal killed themselves?

So am I the only one who interpreted the ending as
Bedelia removing her leg as a peace offering for Hannibal's unfortunate return into her life, which was for nothing, kept waiting at the table, since Will and Hannibal killed themselves?
That's how I originally interpreted it, and I'm sticking with it.

Bryan Fuller and his big mouth be damned
lol.gif

To be fair, Fuller didn't confirm that
it's Will and Hannibal, did he? He also joked that it could be Hannibal's infamous uncle and how much fun it would be to reveal that David Bowie (who he wanted for his uncle) was serving the dish.

Blader

To be fair, Fuller didn't confirm that
it's Will and Hannibal, did he? He also joked that it could be Hannibal's infamous uncle and how much fun it would be to reveal that David Bowie (who he wanted for his uncle) was serving the dish.

Is
Hannibal's uncle an actual thing? I thought he was just tossing out "oh it could be his crazy uncle, oh it could be David Bowie" as a way of taking the piss for thinking it's anyone but Hannibal/Will. :lol

This was one of the best TV seasons I had the pleasure to watch. It's pretty much... flawless. And I rarely think that of a series. Every single element just clicked for me. And that ending was easily the best since Six Feet Under.

After three (!) stressful, life-shortening weeks I finally got to see the last two episodes. They were about what I expected, I think, save a few especially gory moments. I think the wait was worse than the watching, honestly. The massive Hannigram fanbase definitely had a huge reaction, and those were the ones I kept seeing ripple across the internet, so I had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen (at least in some respect). Grats, you jerks :p I'm glad there weren't any ladies that got needlessly fridged, and that Alana & Margo's beautiful, affluent, stylish fam got to safety before anything happened to them. Whew!

I like hearing about the "fanfiction" aspect of the series, from fans and Fuller alike, since it lends well to discussion and overall malleable interpretation of what we're shown. It's awesome. It also makes it sting a little less :\ I'm really gonna miss that.

In any case, a pretty perfect, on-point ending to a lovingly crafted, artistic show. I'm hoping we'll see more of the cast
coughdancycough
in Fuller's future projects <3

Bryan Fuller talks season 4, sexual fluidity, and how Will became Clarice Starling

Bryan Fuller explains Bedelia's end said:
I was surprised that everybody, or at least a faction of the audience, assumed that Bedelia chopped off her own leg and was cooking it! [laughs] For me, that was: Hannibal survived. The whole point of that tag is to suggest that Hannibal has lived, and there's three place settings at the dinner table, so interpret that how you will.

Bryan Fuller about Clarice Starling said:
I still would like to tell the story of Clarice Starling in this universe, and so I didn't want to rob Clarice to pay Will, but I also felt that there was a lot of things that could be done with Clarice to distinguish herself from Will, in that romantic regard. Clarice never, until the end of Hannibal, submitted to that romance, whereas Will seemed to be on a slippery slope right from the beginning, so there's a contrast to be drawn between them.

Bryan Fuller about Alana's sexuality said:
I definitely wanted to do that with Alana and Margot because I feel that sexuality can be fluid, and there are so many stopping points on the spectrum that it seemed perfectly natural for Alana to be bisexual, and not make a thing of it, it's just who she is. She didn't have to explain it or rationalise it, and I think there was some criticism like 'Oh, now she's a lesbian just because you want her to be a lesbian'. No, she's bisexual, she's always been bisexual, and stop being so narrow in your perception of sexuality. There's this prejudice against bisexuality that I think just stems from narcissism, because people can't accept that someone could think or behave differently than they do, and that's pathological when it comes right down to it.

Bryan Fuller about plans for Alana and Margot said:
I had big plans for them in the fourth season, where they were going to essentially reform Verger slaughterhouses and make them all humane and decrease the processing of meat, I had a whole vegan agenda with what the ladies were going to be up to, and I'm shaking my fist at the cancellation gods at not being able to pull that off. To have the power lesbians accomplishing great things, and undoing all of the horrors of the Verger family and name, and being able to have a larger discussion about meat in America and how we process it, how we consume it, what it is, how it is treated before it becomes meat.

Bryan Fuller the future of Chilton said:
He was going to go back to running the institution, because since Hannibal had escaped, Alana would no longer need to make sure he was under lock and key. He would have burn wounds and this slightly marred face, but he'd continue on as chipper as he's ever been in the show. I love the idea of Raúl Esparza, underneath this trauma, still being Raúl Esparza.

Raúl has such facility with language, and the cadence of his speech is so much fun that I would have bent over backwards to keep him alive. I also find it very, very, very amusing to put him through those paces &#8211; all of the hardships that have befallen Frederick Chilton are representative of just how dark the comedy is on this show, and I wanted to make sure that you have permission to laugh at his circumstances! So he would have had to keep his spirits up.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Is
Hannibal's uncle an actual thing? I thought he was just tossing out "oh it could be his crazy uncle, oh it could be David Bowie" as a way of taking the piss for thinking it's anyone but Hannibal/Will. :lol

i dont know but i dont care. i want that.

-griffy-

Banned
Is

He's definitely talked about wanting to cast David Bowie on the show in past seasons (see this interview from June 2014), and it seemed like they checked schedules for season 3 but it obviously didn't work out.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone on Earth could die and Chilton would be the last man alive, even if he was just a head in a jar.

Fevaweva

I'd love to know how Bryan planned the end of the entire show if it was allowed to continue for the full 8 seasons or so.

Would Hannibal be killed? And would it be Will killing him or some no name thereby robbing will of the gratification from revenge.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I totally assumed Bedelia did that (the last frame of the series) to herself. I took it to be that Hannibal had gotten inside her mind and won over her even without continued contact, much like the Japanese girl guarding the prisoner.

I guess I don't want any clues that Hannibal
survived
at the end, if the show is over. Obviously if the show were renewed, Hannibal would have
survived.
But if not, I just want to assume Will and Hannibal
in each others' arms in the abyss
for all time.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, it's not the interpretation that Fuller intended, but I like it better, even if it leaves Bedelia as the subject of dark comedy. But dark comedy is what the series is good at, so it's a fine conclusion to have Bedelia in that tragic state of having cut off her own leg for the sake of appeasing the monster that might never come.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can someone fill me in on what happened post-credit? I must have missed it.
The last shot of the series is
Bedelia, now missing a leg, sitting alone at a set up dinner table, with her roasted leg presented as the meal.

I assumed she did that to herself. Fuller meant to imply it was Hannibal.

Zaph

Finally got caught up. What an incredible finale.

Watching Hannibal and Will kill together felt like such a majestic pay-off built up over three brilliant seasons. Pretty sure I became a slightly worse person by such a horrific scene feeling so euphoric.

That final embrace has to solidify Hannibal and Will's place in the top 3 TV relationships of all time, right?

Okay, so in the flaming, emotional train wreck of the last two episodes, I realized the first murder in the first episode of the first season was never re-addressed. I remember reading it was the Red Dragon somewhere, but I thought they were going to bring it up and they never did :\ Did I miss something or was it just a little aside meant to be trivia rather than an actual plot point? Kind of a bummer, I was curious about it :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Okay, so in the flaming, emotional train wreck of the last two episodes, I realized the first murder in the first episode of the first season was never re-addressed. I remember reading it was the Red Dragon somewhere, but I thought they were going to bring it up and they never did : Did I miss something or was it just a little aside meant to be trivia rather than an actual plot point? Kind of a bummer, I was curious about it :(

I think it was just a little trivia. I was hoping it would be brought up as well, since Will would obviously be able to make the connection. If I had to guess, maybe they didn't bring it up because you would have Will figuring out the modus operandi of the Red Dragon way too early.

I think it was just a little trivia. I was hoping it would be brought up as well, since Will would obviously be able to make the connection. If I had to guess, maybe they didn't bring it up because you would have Will figuring out the modus operandi of the Red Dragon way too early.

I've read a statement from Fuller recently (if I find it I'll provide the source) that they originally planed to reference it. Unfortunately, while breaking up the season, they realized that it didn't fit anywhere in the story anymore. My guess is that it would mean that Dolarhide has been murdering since 5-6 years. Then it would rise some sticky questions: why hasn't FBI caught him in that time period? Or if he hasn't killed anyone in-between the Marlows and the Jacobis, why? The story in S3 simply flows better if those Chicago and Buffalo murders are one of his firsts.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
For all we know it's Hannibal knowing and pushing the Red Dragon into his actions (and manipulating Will into not immediately seeing through copycat killers) from S1E1.

I don't know if I actually read this somewhere or am just speculating, but I always thought that first kill (from S1) was supposed to be Dolarhyde in his serial killer "infancy", where he was just initially trying to figure himself out.

I thought they were going to bill the moment where he sees the Red Dragon painting/magazine as him finally realizing why he had the urges to kill, and that's when it becomes a regular thing.

Anyway, hindsight and all that, but I do wish they had found a way to connect them. Not a huge deal, though.

kirblar

I don't know if I actually read this somewhere or am just speculating, but I always thought that first kill (from S1) was supposed to be Dolarhyde in his serial killer "infancy", where he was just initially trying to figure himself out.

I thought they were going to bill the moment where he sees the Red Dragon painting/magazine as him finally realizing why he had the urges to kill, and that's when it becomes a regular thing.

Anyway, hindsight and all that, but I do wish they had found a way to connect them. Not a huge deal, though.
They really needed to make bolder adaptation choices with the material. It was played too straight and didn't mesh with the rest of the material.

Epcott

I still don't get the after credits scene. Are we to believe
this takes place months later, as Hannibal survived and had dinner with Bedelia, or did she cut her own leg off in a sick twist of Stockholm Syndrome? I don't think he had the time to cook her leg and show up to take on Dragon with Will (leaving Bedelia without a host). And did Will survive since we don't see bodies?

If it's left to be a great big "Who knows" I'm fine with that, since I really doubt they'll get the permission to cover Lambs or pull Fuller away from American Gods when it's in full swing. I'd just like to know if I missed something obvious.

Monocle

I still don't get the after credits scene. Are we to believe
this takes place months later, as Hannibal survived and had dinner with Bedelia, or did she cut her own leg off in a sick twist of Stockholm Syndrome? I don't think he had the time to cook her leg and show up to take on Dragon with Will (leaving Bedelia without a host). And did Will survive since we don't see bodies?

If it's left to be a great big "Who knows" I'm fine with that, since I really doubt they'll get the permission to cover Lambs or pull Fuller away from American Gods when it's in full swing. I'd just like to know if I missed something obvious.
Fuller said it's meant to imply that Hannibal survived. He also pointed out that there are three place settings...

For all we know it's Hannibal knowing and pushing the Red Dragon into his actions (and manipulating Will into not immediately seeing through copycat killers) from S1E1.

That would've been pretty insane, damn :\

Oh well :\ I figured since it just kind of faded away that it probably wasn't going to happen, but I was still curious.

-griffy-

Banned
David Slade, director and executive producer on Hannibal, is joining American Gods as...a director and executive producer! Looks like this is turning more into the unofficial Hannibal follow-up. Now to get some of the cast to come over too...

Deadline has the news.

Top Bottom