• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
354921563_584b539e16_o.png

Revised pic of the Blu Pac man from now on.

Costanza

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
I think Bish said we had until morning.
I think I remember him saying we had till morning if the j-gaf mods weren't on to lock it. Either way, there'll probably be discussion going on in the morning.

also, LOL at full pac man pic

Can a mod or someone please make a write up for the last post of this whole "war" since I and others weren't following it 24/7 as a closure? It'd be a good way to end and archive the thread.

Thanks!

smurfx

get some go again
ah so it has finally come to an end. hopefully paramount and universal announce something soon so all fans of hd movies can unite under one format.

Costanza

Banned
Anyone else still going to buy Beowulf? Ugh I really don't want to buy it now, but I really loved the movie. Hopefully Paramount somehow has it ready for Blu.

ghostmind

Costanza said:
Anyone else still going to buy Beowulf? Ugh I really don't want to buy it now, but I really loved the movie. Hopefully Paramount somehow has it ready for Blu.

Not sure I want to watch it in 2D though...

5:21 - Q&A time!

Three part Q: what was the cause of HD DVD's failure? What is Toshiba doing with its Aomori HD DVD factory? And what about the timing of the announcement?
A: From an objective, fair point of view, we were clearly in a good place until last December and January. So we were very, very surprised by Warner's announcement. As for the Aomori factory, nothing is final at this moment.

Q: Any plans to adopt Blu-ray?
A: No plans at all, not at this moment.
and there you have it. I'm going to sleep now, even though I have to get up in 4.5 hours. :lol

Costanza said:
When WB went Blu I stopped buying HD DVDs even though I REALLY wanted Zodiac.

Argyle

BoboBrazil said:
Toshiba just announced in a q and a at the conference they have no plans to get into blu-ray...

That's OK, their player had some terrible UI - and a wonky implementation of DHCP, too...30 second boot times (before the disc is read!) and 30 minute firmware updates.

Raistlin

Costanza said:

I'm going to be curious how it shapes up versus the Warner BluRay release in the UK. Paramount has a bit of a history with gimping audio, even when there is room on the disc.

The sad thing is that I'll likely be importing a number of Paramount releases from Warner, at least until they get their shit together.

Yeah, Toshiba makes some pretty shitty electronics, but never hurts to have another company releasing players... Maybe even give people that bought hd-dvd players a rebate coupon for $50 or something...

Costanza

Banned
Onix said:
I'm going to be curious how it shapes up versus the Warner BluRay release in the UK. Paramount has a bit of a history with gimping audio, even when there is room on the disc.

The sad thing is that I'll likely be importing a number of Paramount releases from Warner, at least until they get their shit together.
Does Warner region-code? if not can you get me a link to import? :)

Pai Pai Master said:
From High Def Digest member:

:lol
well he's not going to like this:
Q: Is there any risk of a class action lawsuit against Toshiba for the format war?
A: [For early adopters] there will be always be a risk in buying, that is how it works in the US. We are just hardware maker, so our legal risk is relatively low, we believe.

Q: Is there any risk of a class action lawsuit against Toshiba for the format war?
A: [For early adopters] there will be always be a risk in buying, that is how it works in the US. We are just hardware maker, so our legal risk is relatively low, we believe.

Guess people are screwed. Probably mass returns on players tomorrow to stores that were bought within 30 days....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom