• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Onix said:
Hey ... I posted links and everything >_<

:p

I think he was just too lazy to quote you. :D

I really hope Uni and Paramount will have a quick switch. Oh an now I don't have to worry about No Country for Old Men on BD YAY!

ManaByte

Xater said:
I think he was just too lazy to quote you. :D

I really hope Uni and Paramount will have a quick switch. Oh an now I don't have to worry about No Country for Old Men on BD YAY!

Huh? No Country was always BRD exclusive.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Raistlin

smurfx said:
it changed a few days ago.

Somehow I didn't notice it after the sepuku change ... of course that's probably because this thread is automatically loaded into one of my firefox tabs :lol

Costanza

Banned
Onix said:
Just messing around ... I was wondering if my avatar swap threw you off :lol
15rf5fl.jpg
should I use that? :p

Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives
Doesn't that mean there were some exaggerated numbers given before Christmas?

avaya

Shamelessly stolen and edited from blu-ray.com

A Brief History of The Format War

Just thought this was a interesting read... I knew a lot of the stuff, but not all, and its nice to see that Blu-ray was actually first to be designed, and that Sony did try to prevent the war... If this was already posted, sorry - I searched but didn't find anything.

October 5-- Sony and Pioneer unveil DVR Blue at Japan's CEATEC show. The format would go on to form the basis for first-generation Blu-ray Disc BD-RE.

November 1-- Sony announces the development of Ultra Density Optical (UDO), a blue-laser optical disc format proposed to replace magneto-optical discs.

February 19-- Led by Sony, nine of the world's largest electronics companies unveil plans for Blu-ray Disc.

August 29-- Toshiba and NEC propose to the DVD Forum the next-generation optical disc format that will become HD DVD.

October 1-- Prototypes of both formats are unveiled at Japan's CEATEC exhibition. Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer and JVC showed prototype Blu-ray Disc recorders while Toshiba showed a prototype under the name Advanced Optical Disc (AOD).

February 13-- Licensing of Blu-ray Disc begins. Player makers pay US$20,000 to license Blu-ray while the content-protection system license carries a $120,000 annual fee and additional charge of $0.10 per player. Media makers pay $8,000 annually and $0.02 per disc for the copy protection system.

April 7-- Sony announces its Blu-ray Disc-based Professional Disc format for data archiving applications.

April 10-- Sony puts on sale in Japan the world's first Blu-ray Disc recorder, the BDZ-S77. It's based on a 23G-byte cartridge version of the BD-RE disc and costs 165,450,000 yen (US$3,815 at the time). The machine and a later model from Panasonic lack support for pre-recorded movies that will launch later and prove an expensive early step into next-generation video.

May 28-- Mitsubishi Electric joins the Blu-ray Disc group.

January 7-- Toshiba unveils its first prototype HD DVD player at CES. The player includes backwards compatibility with DVD.

January 12- Hewlett-Packard and Dell put their support behind Blu-ray Disc.

June 10-- The first commercial version of HD DVD-ROM is approved by the DVD Forum.

September 21-- Sony announces the PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray Disc.

November 29-- Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, HBO and New Line Cinema announce support for HD DVD.

December 9-- Disney announces support for Blu-ray Disc.

January 7-- Backers of both formats promise players and movies in North America by the end of the year-- something that never materialized.

March 24-- Talk and hope of a common format as Ryoji Chubachi, then Sony's president-elect, says: "Listening to the voice of the consumers, having two rival formats is disappointing and we haven't totally given up on the possibility of integration or compromise."

April 21-- Sony and Toshiba begin discussions on the possibility of a single format. The talks ultimately go nowhere.

August 18-- Lions Gate Home Entertainment and Universal Music Group decide to back Blu-ray Disc.

September 27-- Microsoft Corp. and Intel Corp. put their weight behind HD DVD.

October 3-- Paramount Home Entertainment says it will offer movies on both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

October 20-- Warner Home Video says it will offer movies on both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

December 16-- Hewlett-Packard decides to drop exclusive support for Blu-ray Disc and back both formats.

January 4-- Bill Gates announces at CES that Microsoft will offer an add-on HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360 console.

March 10-- Blu-ray Disc-supporter LG Electronics surprises the industry with news that it's developing an HD DVD drive.

March 31-- Toshiba launches the world's first HD DVD player, the HD-XA1. It cost 165,110,000yen (US$936 at the time) in Japan.

November 11-- Sony's PlayStation 3, which packs a Blu-ray Disc drive, goes on sale in Japan.

November 17-- The PS3 debuts in the US

December 29-- Hackers report success in breaking through part of the AACS copy protection that's on both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

January 7-- Seeking to end the battle, LG Electronics unveils a dual-format player, while Warner Bros. shows a prototype disc that holds both an HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc layer so is compatible with players for both formats.

April 17-- Sales of HD DVD players in North America hit 100,000 since launch.

August 1-- Microsoft cuts the price of its HD DVD player for the Xbox 360 from US$199 to US$179 and starts offering five free movies.

August 20-- Paramount and DreamWorks Animation both drop Blu-ray Disc in favour of HD DVD.

September 13-- Sony says it will use Blu-ray Disc in all high-def video recorders in Japan.

November-- The price of Toshiba HD DVD players drops to US$100 with rebates as the holiday shopping season begins.

November 11-- Sony begins selling a lower cost version of the PlayStation 3.

January 4-- Warner Bros. drops its bombshell: it will stop issuing HD DVD movies in the coming months and rely exclusively on Blu-ray Disc. In response the HD DVD Promotion Group cancels its CES news conference.

January 6-- Akio Ozaka, head of Toshiba America Consumer Products, says at CES: "We remain firm in the belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of consumers." In response Sony CEO Howard Stringer, with a grin on his face, says "All of us at Sony are feeling blue today."

January 14-- Toshiba cuts the price of HD DVD players with the HD-A3 seeing a retail price of US$150.

February 11-- NetFlix and BestBuy say they will phase out HD DVD.

February 15-- Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, says it will phase out HD DVD by June.

February 16-- Japanese public broadcaster NHK reports Toshiba has halted production of HD DVD players. Several additional local media reports confirm and The Nikkei business daily says Toshiba has decided to stop developing the format any further.

The Final Countdown: The 47-day Domino Effect

01-04-08 Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-04-08 HD-DVD CES 2008 Press Conference Cancelled.
01-05-08 New Line goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-10-08 HBO goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-11-08 Constantin Film goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-16-08 Senator Entertainment go Blu-ray exclusive.
01-20-08 R&B Films goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-22-08 Grant's Appliances go Blu-ray exclusive.
01-28-08 Woolworths Retail Outlet (UK) goes Blu-ray exclusive in store.
01-29-08 Saturn (Germany) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-30-08 Sonic Solutions Scenarist Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-30-08 EMI (Japan) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-30-08 National Geographic Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
01-31-08 Highlight Video (Germany) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-01-08 Imation stops HD-DVD-R/RW media, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-01-08 ADV Films to go Blu-ray exclusive in 2008.
02-04-08 Manga Films Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-04-08 BAC Films (France) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-05-08 OVA Films goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-06-08 MK2, distributor (France), Blu-ray exclusive.
02-07-08 Filmax Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-07-08 Scanbox (Sweden) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-07-08 SF Films (Sweden) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-11-08 Netflix Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-11-08 Best Buy to promote & recommend Blu-ray.

02-12-08 Tripictures (Spain) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-12-08 Hi-Fi Klubben (Scandinavia) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-14-08 Cameo (Spain) Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-14-08 Niveus Goes Blu-ray exclusive.
02-14-08 WALMART Goes Blu-ray exclusive!
02-15-08 Digital Playground Goes Blu-ray exclusive
02-16-08 Films from Michael Bay Blu-ray exclusive
02-19-08 TOSHIBA CALLS IT QUITS - HD-DVD IS DEAD.
02-19-08 PARAMOUNT AND UNIVERSAL RELEASED FROM HD-DVD DOOM!

Raistlin

BoboBrazil said:
WTF so they only sold 600k players and HALF of those were 360 drives? :lol

And now things come into crystal clarity.

No fucking wonder this has been as bad as the console war in basically every forum I've visited. Half the people actually were console war fanboys :lol

At least now the Sony-hate makes sense. :p

avaya

J. M. Romeo said:
Are those figures for the USA only or worldwide?

A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

avaya said:
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

So the 1 million number, the standalone domination meme, ect...

All lies?

Oh, boy...this thread just got interesting right before it gets killed.

Xater

avaya said:

Bu-bu-bu cheap players will make us win...:lol

YYZ

Onix said:
And now things come into crystal clarity.

No fucking wonder this has been as bad as the console war in basically every forum I've visited. Half the people actually were console war fanboys :lol

At least now the Sony-hate makes sense. :p
yea really, and the 360 HD-DVD addon is fucking loud too. So almost half of the HD-DVD owners IN THE WORLD are 360 owners. Who knows how many of them have Sony on their "to do" list.

20kxfrl.png

They really need to update the look of their current players.

So glad it's finally over, CES is what made it happen so fast.

Thank god for Warner!!

YYZ said:
yea really, and the 360 HD-DVD addon is fucking loud too. So almost half of the HD-DVD owners IN THE WORLD are 360 owners. Who knows how many of them have Sony on their "to do" list.

That is why they were all pushing digital downloads too, because they can download that crap on their live accounts:lol

This format war was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, I thought things were going to drag on for years.... I just wish real wars were this short.

PS2 KID

avaya said:

Wow, I feel more special now owning one of those relics.

avaya

Already posted?

Toshiba Considered Suing Time-Warner

Interestingly, it's being reported by Nikkei this morning (registration required) that some Toshiba executives actually considered suing Warner last month in response to what they considered the studio's betrayal. However (according to the article text):

But the firm realized that such action was impossible "without preparing for the worst, considering Hollywood's overwhelming influence on the U.S. industry," said one executive. America is Toshiba's main market for core operations like computer chips and nuclear power. A misstep there could easily cost a huge amount of business.

The piece also confirmed that as early as February 4th, Paramount was still willing to stick with Toshiba and HD-DVD, but a "sense of crisis grew" at Toshiba nonetheless. From the text:

In visits to U.S. firms in the HD-DVD camp and listening to what was being said between the lines, the executive sensed that things had changed.

Not surprisingly, the position now being adopted by at least one company executive is that "The new generation of DVD will be short-lived. There will be no winner." We imagine that said exec would be singing a slightly different tune were Toshiba in Sony's position this morning. In any case, now that HD-DVD is done, one would expect that Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal will announce their official change of heart soon.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Who is that executive? It's either Katzenberg, Alan Bell or Graffeo. I think it's Katzenberg.

YYZ said:

Complaints about the noise aside, (I don't have an HD DVD add-on for my 360 as I didn't support that format, so I can't comment) I can sorta see the point you guys are making.

Yeah, the depth of the hate does really kinda makes sense now. I never ever imagined the 360 add-on crowd was that significant a percentage of HD DVD supporters. A lot of the really hardcore guys in that group probably would have never given Blu-ray a chance anyway because of Sony's involvement.

Pristine_Condition said:
Complaints about the noise aside, (I don't have an HD DVD add-on for my 360 as I didn't support that format, so I can't comment) I can sorta see the point you guys are making.

Yeah, the depth of the hate does really kinda makes sense now. I never ever imagined the 360 add-on crowd was that significant a percentage of HD DVD supporters. A lot of the really hardcore guys in that group probably would have never given Blu-ray a chance anyway because of Sony's involvement.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that HD movie enthusiasts could be into something as pointless as system wars. I have like 12 HD DVDS and 10 Blu-Rays and the only advantage that HD DVD had for me was being region free and now I've found out that many BDs are region free too, so it was all about the PQ and that used to be the same over the board.
Anyway, the add-on wasn't that noisy, but the 360 itself its a jet plane taking off. That was a bit of a nuisance when watching, say, 2001. Not so much on Children of Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom