• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Bishop please end this thread with a nice picture. :D

bluewin.gif

Well it's been a great joureny folks. Good for some, not so good for others, but we can now concentrate on looking forward to a healthy future for HDM and a lot more movies on the way from ALL movie studios.

It's been fun watching all this play out in the short term but we certainly couldn't see this going on any longer than it has. It would only hurt HDM in the long run.

It's sad to see this thread come to a close now. I always looked forward to coming home (especially on Fridays for the Nielsons) and reading this thread, so I shed a little tear for that. But look forward to the future and what it means for Blu.

Good riddance HD DVD.

mabuza

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Well it's been a great joureny folks. Good for some, not so good for others, but we can now concentrate on looking forward to a healthy future for HDM and a lot more movies on the way from ALL movie studios.

It's been fun watching all this play out in the short term but we certainly couldn't see this going on any longer than it has. It would only hurt HDM in the long run.

It's sad to see this thread come to a close now. I always looked forward to coming home (especially on Fridays for the Nielsons) and reading this thread, so I shed a little tear for that. But look forward to the future and what it means for Blu.

Good riddance HD DVD.
dude your av is too big

painey said:
hooray. Nothing more satisfying than backing a winner from the start.

Amen to that.

I saw the writing all over the wall when 300 BD outsold 300 HD (with extras).

I think that was the start of my gut feeling that BD was eventually going to come through.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Cold-Steel said:
Haven't you heard? It's all about BD vs Digital Downloads (apparently)
fucking retards actually believe this shit

It's always been a nightmare scenario for me, so it will probably happen. Who needs quality when you can have... pseudo-ownership? Fuck DD. :(

CoG

iapetus said:
13:15, 16th Feb 2008 xxxxxx Thread title (original 'Hi-Def Media Lovefest: HD-DVD Seppuku watch as Pac Man rises to heaven') changed

Anyway you can post the full title change history (if it's kept)? Would be interesting in retrospect.

KZObsessed

YES! It's over baby! Embrace me Snah! Embrace me! haha

Wow, what an awesome thread this has been ;_;

Can't wait til Uni and Para come over to Blu, and it tickles me that HD-DVD is now a bigger failure than Betamax.

EDIT: :lol :lol at last few pages

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Haven't read through the last couple pages, but I was without internet this whole weekend (56k last night to try to catch up).

Anyway, didn't want the thread to end without at least posting and saying "it's been fun". And yeah, I mean that, seeing as how I am the top poster in this epic, epic thread. I don't think there are any hard feelings left for me. I don't even have anybody on ignore anymore. To all the people (and admins) I pissed off, no hard feelings.

To kolgar, I got your pm and I'm glad you didn't get banned. I agree with what you said, and see you in the HD movie thread.

To all the true HD movie fans, see you in the HD movie thread. To everyone else, good riddance but I know you guys will be fine so long as there's sales age on the gaming side.

Besides all the format war garbage, I actually learned a ton in this thread. About audio (I'm now slowly upgrading my speakers and then going for an Onkyo hdmi receiver), about video, and about studios and movies in general. So I leave this thread knowing that, while I wasted a ton of work time on it, it wasn't a complete, total waste.

Viva Blu, Viva HD Discs
:D

KZObsessed

Toshiba said:
Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP

Don't they ever learn...

and:

Toshiba said:
Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

So much for 1 million players in the US. 730,000 including 360 add ons and recorders. That's really poor.

JB1981

BenjaminBirdie said:
Does anyone know if an outfit like Criterion will be forced to use those horrifying Blu-Ray cases in their award winning packaging design?
doubtful, close encounters/blade runner special editions don't use them.

OmniGamer

Glad the war is finally over and we finally have one single hi-def movie format.

I'm surprised at the HD DVD hardware numbers and ratio though, but as mentioned, it does explain some of the rabid "hate" from the red side to the blue side.

JB1981

after seeing those hd-dvd hw numbers, there is absolutely no doubt the ps3 made blu-ray the victor here. not a doubt.

fortune favors the bold

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, they are not pulling stock from shelves?

I thought that was a bit drastic :lol

Finally, thank you to all the dedicated news posters, and commentators.

Are we going to have a weekly Blu-ray release thread now?

If nobody plans to, I might start putting something together.

VanMardigan said:
Haven't read through the last couple pages, but I was without internet this whole weekend (56k last night to try to catch up).

Anyway, didn't want the thread to end without at least posting and saying "it's been fun". And yeah, I mean that, seeing as how I am the top poster in this epic, epic thread. I don't think there are any hard feelings left for me. I don't even have anybody on ignore anymore. To all the people (and admins) I pissed off, no hard feelings.

To kolgar, I got your pm and I'm glad you didn't get banned. I agree with what you said, and see you in the HD movie thread.

To all the true HD movie fans, see you in the HD movie thread. To everyone else, good riddance but I know you guys will be fine so long as there's sales age on the gaming side.

Besides all the format war garbage, I actually learned a ton in this thread. About audio (I'm now slowly upgrading my speakers and then going for an Onkyo hdmi receiver), about video, and about studios and movies in general. So I leave this thread knowing that, while I wasted a ton of work time on it, it wasn't a complete, total waste.

Viva Blu, Viva HD Discs
:D

Even though I lurked here a lot more than I actually posted, ("Only" 140 posts or so...) I do want to say thanks for your participation in this thread, and thanks to ALL the more-rational regulars here. The regular posters here, even when sometimes infuriating, always kept it fun, interesting, and sometimes informative.

This thread was always a hell of a lot better than a news site or google search when you wanted to quickly grab all the latest news and gossip, and for that, I thank ALL the posters who came in with interesting news, rumors, and rational viewpoints, regardless of Blu or Red leanings.

<3

Now, as Gordon Ramsay would say, let's all prepare to "f*** off out of this kitchen" and get on to a new thread where ALL of us HD movie fans can finally talk about the releases for our one, unified format.

2wn1zyf.jpg

That's it for me...I'm outta here. See you guys in the "new releases and news" thread!

dTau

Banned
Toshiba PR said:
Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

Toshiba to make box for Microsoft's download service and Universal and Paramount to drop physical formats all together (at least for HD media).

That would suck. :/

Ponn

Banned
avaya said:
Already posted?

Toshiba Considered Suing Time-Warner
Interestingly, it's being reported by Nikkei this morning (registration required) that some Toshiba executives actually considered suing Warner last month in response to what they considered the studio's betrayal. However (according to the article text):

But the firm realized that such action was impossible "without preparing for the worst, considering Hollywood's overwhelming influence on the U.S. industry," said one executive. America is Toshiba's main market for core operations like computer chips and nuclear power. A misstep there could easily cost a huge amount of business.

Who is that executive? It's either Katzenberg, Alan Bell or Graffeo. I think it's Katzenberg.

Wait, so a Toshiba exec actually read a HD-DVD fanboys rant email and considered it? No wonder this format war took a couple months to end, they really were listening to the crazies we were quoting and laughing at:lol

KZObsessed

herod said:
how many betamax systems were sold in the end?

Some 2.3 million Betamax machines were sold worldwide in its peak year, 1984

A total of 18 million Betamax machines were sold around the world, but no new ones will be made after the end of 2002.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/2220972.stm

They were used in the recording industry so they made Sony a tidy profit. HD-DVD unfortunately lost Toshiba hundreds of millions for nothing.

Remy

One more meltdown before we go...

YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF _____ SUPPORTING CORRUPTION, PAYOLA and ELIMINATION OF CONSUMER PROTECTION.

READ ABOUT THE 1948 PARAMOUNT DECREE.

YOU JUST VOTED THE MPAA TO RUN YOUR HOME MEDIA.

YOU JUST SUPPORTED WHAT FIDEL CASTRO USED TO DO, PAY OFF EVERYONE.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE THAT THE ANNOUNCEMENT COMES AT THE SAME TIME OF FIDEL's DEMISE. (yes Im exaggerating)

THE DEATH OF ONE COMMUNISM, STARTS ANOTHER WITH THIS STUDIO COLLUSION.

I LOVE YOU MPAA!

Why do so many people support Blu-Ray as if it was a better technology?

Im amazed.

I can understand if i owned a company, and got paid off by Sony to tell the world that I love Blu_Ray

but for a consumer to SUPPORT Blu-Ray AS IF THEY WERE PAID by Sony is Mind boggling!

They love HD movies but yet support an inferior format which will cost them more and they support Regions and DRM from the MPAA.

I mean are people just dumb???? Are they going by the love of the color Blue? or by the name Blu-Ray does it sounds better to you? What is it? Scratch free discs? 50GB? Seriously????? You reward payola because you want 50GB scratch free disks to play on outdated 1.0 players that came out 6 months ago?

What is it!!!!!! I want to know! Serious Question!

I marvel at the die hard Blu-Ray CONSUMER Supporters. I really do.

I know they have over $300 to $1000++ tied to their PS3 machines and still paying it off but man o' man talk about being dumb and stubborn that they reward illegal activities that stopped consumers from deciding what they want!

Its amazing. Really Amazing how much Americans get bought like sheep or think like one too many times.

I cant wait for more PAYOLA and 1 Hard Drive maker, 1 Video Game console, 1 Netflix, 1 everything!

I dont want to hear anything from you Blu-Ray lovers when markets start to close into monopolies and consumers are not allowed to decide what is best for them.

consumers were robbed today

and

I marvel at the ones who loved it but whats really scary,
ARE THOSE BR Lovers who dont understand how they were robbed as consumers.

I'm going to miss this little war of ours.

Thanks to everyone who's been contributing for the past year in this thread, it has been much easier to follow than the mess that is AVS or HDD.

I'm sad to see it go, but, it's time.

shutitdown.png

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sounds like Toshiba is now going to put the bulk of their effort towards DD - this war will never be over!

This thread was something else.

Doc Evils

FFObsessed said:
YES! It's over baby! Embrace me Snah! Embrace me! haha

Wow, what an awesome thread this has been ;_;

Can't wait til Uni and Para come over to Blu, and it tickles me that HD-DVD is now a bigger failure than Betamax.

EDIT: :lol :lol at last few pages

and to rub it in further, supported by MS.:D

nom nom nom.

PnCIa

I really need to buy a HD-DVD before they disappear forever.
Great thread title btw, totally sums up my feelings about this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
PnCIa said:
I really need to buy a HD-DVD before they disappear forever.

I just picked one up this morning on Ebay. $90 shipped. This will be useful when I get my Onkyo receiver since the 360 add-on can't output anything past DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

Remy said:
One more meltdown before we go...

I'm going to miss this little war of ours.

Thanks to everyone who's been contributing for the past year in this thread, it has been much easier to follow than the mess that is AVS or HDD.

I'm sad to see it go, but, it's time.

shutitdown.png
the 1948 Paramount Decree?
1940s

In 1940, Paramount agreed to a government-instituted consent decree: block booking and "pre-selling" (the practice of collecting up-front money for films not yet in production) would end. Immediately Paramount cut back on production, from sixty-plus pictures to a more modest twenty annually in the war years. Still, with more new stars (like Bob Hope, Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Paulette Goddard, and Betty Hutton), and with war-time attendance at astronomical numbers, Paramount and the other integrated studio-theatre combines made more money than ever. At this, the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department decided to reopen their case against the five integrated studios. Paramount also had a monopoly over Detroit movie theaters through subsidiary company United Detroit Theaters as well [6]. This led to the Supreme Court decision of 1948 that broke up Adolph Zukor's amazing creation and effectively brought an end to the classic Hollywood studio system.
wth does that have to do with Blu-Ray? ah, it was an anti-trust case.

The sales info is interesting. Maybe they were pulling a Sony? Shipped instead of sold?

Siltis

Banned
So in the end, the format with more support, more disc space and better sales ended up winning. Not too bad. So glad the war is over, time for peace now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom