• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

avaya said:
These were irreconcilable differences. If the BDA had chosen HDi there is a strong possibility Microsoft would never have gotten involved and Toshiba wouldn't have someone whispering in their ear to actually go ahead and launch. BusinessWeek articles from 2005 indicated they were ready to just call it quits.

Wait ... Tosh actually did look at the competition, and was about to give up ... but was convinced by MS to go on?!!?

WOW. Did not know that.

mollipen

Goodbye HD-DVD... I'm glad you're gone, and I won't miss you, but at the same time, I never hated you or had any hard feelings for you. You were simply the side that was holding my choice for winner back, and I wanted the war to be over quickly.

Goodbye thread... I'm glad we can move on to bigger and better things, but I'll miss the excitement and epic megatons that came along with you. It was a hell of a ride.

How rude of me, wishing the thread farewell and not the regulars.

Bye all-- Van, Onix, Oookie, DJK, Chemo, stooge, djk, captive, TME... fun when it didn't get too intense!

KGKK

Banned
I lurked here since the beginning secretly support Blu-Ray. Now I will finally post at the end just to be part of this legendary thread.:D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Oni Jazar said:
I don't like the way Toshiba worded their PR at all. Their focus on DVD and Digital Downloads sound like very sour grapes to me. I pray that Universal and Paramount don't have the same sour grapes and release some BD movies soon.

well same with sony back in the 80s , but Sony eventually join the VHS and became one of the biggest VHS player and cassette makers in the world .

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
Which should've been the end of it, and would've meant that MS would NOT have put out an HD DVD drive (or at least not JUST an HD DVD drive). Without MS support, this war wouldn't have lasted this long. All things considered, it was still relatively short.

Corporate politics were involved at ever step of this, which is what's so disappointing for consumers. It's a good thing it ended as quickly as it did, and I think WB should be commended for their choice.

Ahhh ... the battle rages on.

We went over this quite a bit a few weeks ago, and their were very logical reasons why it was turned down.

Corporate politics? More like sound business for the parties involved.

Raistlin

captive said:
This thread was great, thanks to all the regulars, Onix, DJK, Van, Ignatz, and everyone else, enjoy the movies I'll see you in the hd thread. :D

Yep ... see you all in the HD thread! :)

FnordChan

While I was only a lurker, I want to thank all the regulars for helping provide the latest HD media news in service of the format war. While I haven't jumped in to the pool yet myself, I spent the past year reading this thread regularly in preparation for the move to high definition. Looks like I'll be investing in a HDTV and a PS3 sometime later this year. Congrats to Blu-Ray and, again, thanks to GAF for keeping me entertained and informed!

FnordChan

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:
How rude of me, wishing the thread farewell and not the regulars.

Bye all-- Van, Onix, Oookie, DJK, Chemo, stooge, djk, captive, TME... fun when it didn't get too intense!

Its been pretty awesome ... hasn't it? :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This thread is still open? Well, it's been fun. I'm reading up on Engadget now...
holygrailknight-440-hd-dvd-blu.jpg

:lol

dankir

maynerd said:
Any good ideas on how to dump my HD-DVDs and my Xbox add on and get some decent value out of it?

Honestly I wouldn't expect much everything is going for pretty cheap, your probably better off just stocking up on cheap HD DVDs

maynerd said:
Any good ideas on how to dump my HD-DVDs and my Xbox add on and get some decent value out of it?
Buy lots of cheap HD-DVDs when the fire sales begin . . . that is my plan. (I've got both players.)

But if you really want to dump your stuff & sell some HD-DVDs cheap, PM me.

So who's buying American Gangster today? Pretty disappointing Universal kinda half assed it, but I've waited all this time to see it in HD. Thought it was pretty funny how Best Buy said that would be reccomending BR, but on half of the TVs in their add they have AG screens with available on DVD and HD-DVD on the screens. I will probably pick up Con-Air too since it's only $15, even though I already own the DVD...

So half the HD-DVD sold were actually the 360's?

That really puts things in perspective and explains a lot of the irrational resentment of all things touched by Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some Stringer comments, to WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120343622985476997.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

"The so-called format war had created confusion in the marketplace, and people have been unclear which way to go," said Howard Stringer in an interview. "Our goal now is to educate the consumer about the advantages of high-definition... Then we've got to show them that this is a great experience," he said. Mr. Stringer spoke to The Wall Street Journal after Toshiba Corp. said it would end the HD DVD business at the end of March.

Some analysts believe that the high-definition DVD market might soon be usurped by online video downloading, making the benefits of the Blu-ray victory short-lived. But Mr. Stringer said he believed that was unlikely to happen for awhile.

"Nothing is as ever as fast as anyone thinks, and even if you look around now, VHS sales have only just ground to a halt. I think there's a long life of packaged goods, particularly if we do a good job of making it attractive in high-definition," he said.

Also, Sony's US shares were up 5% on the news, and analyst predictions of improved PS3 marketshare as a result.

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNews/idUSN1925691620080219

"We believe Blu-ray's victory could drive market share gains for the PS3, as we believe consumers will now be more willing to pay up (versus 360) for the standard Blu-ray player," William Blair analyst Ralph Shackart wrote in a note to clients, referring to Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) rival Xbox 360 game device.

Sony U.S. shares rose to a session high of $47.07 in early trade on the New York Stock Exchange before easing to $46.30, up $1.52, or 3.4 percent from the Friday close. On Monday, markets were closed due to the U.S. President's Day holiday.

Argyle

According to this - MS may be moving away from supporting VC-1:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13156254#post13156254

(Kris Deering writes for a respected HT site, I think some of the other staff on that site are MS employees)

As was pointed out later in that thread - it doesn't mean VC-1 is going away, it just means that MS may be done with their professional encoder. The spec is out there now so other companies can pick it up and write their own encoding tools...

SlaughterX said:
So who's buying American Gangster today? Pretty disappointing Universal kinda half assed it, but I've waited all this time to see it in HD. Thought it was pretty funny how Best Buy said that would be reccomending BR, but on half of the TVs in their add they have AG screens with available on DVD and HD-DVD on the screens. I will probably pick up Con-Air too since it's only $15, even though I already own the DVD...
maybe because ads are printed weeks in advance and the decision was a recent one? I dunno, think about it instead next time.

Raistlin

Good to hear the the BDA will plans to do a lot of advertising and education. Definitely the right way to go.

BTW - My SNE stock ain't doing too bad today :p

MechDX

Onix said:
Wait ... Tosh actually did look at the competition, and was about to give up ... but was convinced by MS to go on?!!?

WOW. Did not know that.

It was all speculation and no evidence ever appeared.

Doc Evils

Argyle said:

(Kris Deering writes for a respected HT site, I think some of the other staff on that site are MS employees)

As was pointed out later in that thread - it doesn't mean VC-1 is going away, it just means that MS may be done with their professional encoder. The spec is out there now so other companies can pick it up and write their own encoding tools...

AVC is the way to go.

Madman

Gary Whitta said:
Did Nicodimas ever come back or is he still in hiding/dead?
He came back, and said this:
Nicodimas said:
Forced to purple

Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. HD-DVD was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce format. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, HD-DVD was murdered, by a syndicate of companies bent on higher profit. The Blu ray group does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to it's memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries that we all lose by this move. Competition is always better for the consumer, but worse for the companies. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship have been formed and we are all closer. Remember that, and HD-DVD will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a Format who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end.

No amounts of wishing can reawaken the dead, People. I trust you all know that. Dark and difficult times lie ahead! Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.

/flicks lighter is silence

Xisiqomelir

Argyle said:

I guess without bandwidth constraints, there's no reason not to use AVC?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Argyle said:

Awesome :)

"While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom