• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

So I guess theres no chance of Toshiba releasing a dual format player huh.... shit. Well I got my Blu Rays time to stock up on DIRT CHEAP HD DVDs!!!!!

Zaptruder

Banned
Haha. Die in a fire Toshiba. Fucking bitter assholes that started this whole thing in the first place.

They deserved every bit of their comeuppance, plunging HD media into so much bullshit over the last two years.

To be fair, they fought hard. Stupidly, but hard. And in the end, it just wasn't good enough to surmount the odds. Oh well.

With all the other CE developers at the table, whether or not Toshiba develops for Blu-ray or not, none but the biggest die-hard Toshiba fans will care. Indeed, I'm not aware of that many Toshiba fanboys myself... HD-DVD plenty, Sony haters plenty... but no one has ever professed this sort of deep feel and support for Toshiba; and if they started developing for BR tomorrow, I don't think their HD-DVD fanboys would follow suit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hopefully Toshiba announces a BD player or dual format player by this fall. I didn't expect them to announce a BD player today.

DJ_Tet

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Hopefully Toshiba announces a BD player or dual format player by this fall. I didn't expect them to announce a BD player today.

Yeah I agree, it would be shocking to see that announcement today.

Which hd-dvd player did you get on ebay btw?

Do you or anyone have a list of players and which one is considered the best?

MaX_PL

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Haha. Die in a fire Toshiba. Fucking bitter assholes that started this whole thing in the first place.

They deserved every bit of their comeuppance, plunging HD media into so much bullshit over the last two years.

To be fair, they fought hard. Stupidly, but hard. And in the end, it just wasn't good enough to surmount the odds. Oh well.

With all the other CE developers at the table, whether or not Toshiba develops for Blu-ray or not, none but the biggest die-hard Toshiba fans will care. Indeed, I'm not aware of that many Toshiba fanboys myself... HD-DVD plenty, Sony haters plenty... but no one has ever professed this sort of deep feel and support for Toshiba; and if they started developing for BR tomorrow, I don't think their HD-DVD fanboys would follow suit.

started what? HD DVD was out first dumbass.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
BenjaminBirdie said:
Does anyone know if an outfit like Criterion will be forced to use those horrifying Blu-Ray cases in their award winning packaging design?

Criterion won't be going high-def any time soon, but I'd imagine they'll use a low-cost custom option instead of the standard (and ugly) Blu cases, like clear ones.

I'm surprised there aren't clear or black replacement cases available yet, actually. I'd buy a pile of them for my current and future Blu purchases.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DJ_Tet said:
Yeah I agree, it would be shocking to see that announcement today.

Which hd-dvd player did you get on ebay btw?

I picked up the A3, since my tv can deinterlace 1080i properly. The top of the line model is the Xa2 for HD DVD players. Of the 3rd gen models, the A35 is the best one, with analog audio outs. For me, I plan to get an HDMI receiver, so that wasn't a big deal, and neither was 1080p/24, since my tv doesn't work with that. So, I chose what was best for me, and it just happened to be the cheapest option. :D

Obviously, this will be my first and only HD DVD standalone. From here, I'll either go to a dual format standalone if they fix those, or to a cheap BD standalone for my second tv.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I hope this announcement leads to lower prices on Blu-rays very soon. I still think the $29.99 and $34.99 price tags at retailers are still a deterrent. In addition, Netflix better get on the ball and start actively increasing their inventories. I have 12 Blu-ray movies in my queue and only 1 is available now.

MaX_PL said:
out first? sure. made first?
October 5-- Sony and Pioneer unveil DVR Blue at Japan's CEATEC show. The format would go on to form the basis for first-generation Blu-ray Disc BD-RE.

November 1-- Sony announces the development of Ultra Density Optical (UDO), a blue-laser optical disc format proposed to replace magneto-optical discs.

February 19-- Led by Sony, nine of the world's largest electronics companies unveil plans for Blu-ray Disc.

August 29-- Toshiba and NEC propose to the DVD Forum the next-generation optical disc format that will become HD DVD.
Blu-Ray was first, even if it wasn't first out the gate. and attacks at the end of the thread? come on now.

and I wonder if we'll ever know why HD-DVD and Blu-Ray didn't merge back when they had the chance. I know there are hints as to what happened but that's all I know. I wonder if Stringer could have been able to affect a change if he had been in charge at the time/sooner?

It's been rad. Peter had fun:

2h7m3df.jpg

avaya

bune duggy said:
I wonder if we'll ever know why HD-DVD and Blu-Ray didn't merge back when they had the chance. I know there are hints as to what happened but that's all I know. I wonder if Stringer could have been able to affect a change if he had been in charge at the time/sooner?

They would have never merged, actually they could have prevented Toshiba ever getting to market, that's about it.

Blu-ray was attractive to so many because the new disc structure and accompanying technical specification allowed a new patent pool, better than DVD (dominated by Toshiba and Time-Warner) for a majority of companies.

At unification meetings in 2005, Toshiba's main DVD architect didn't want to change disc structure because that would be equivalent to not doing HD-DVD, there was no incentive. The official PR response was that Toshiba’s Mr. Fuji asked Sony and Matsushita for proof that 0.1mm would work, none was given, this formed the basis of the “50GB is science fiction” meme from Wintel. Meanwhile Sony was being cheeky in the DVD-Forum proposing DVD-18, a 4-layer DVD disc holding 18GB. This was never approved and you can guess why…

Their IP was based in disc structure. Toshiba proposed HD-DVD disc structure with Blu-ray software platform, for the CEs on the BDA this was pointless. Not much different from DVD. The BDA proposed Blu-ray structure with HD-DVD software platform, for Toshiba this was pointless, they didn't own any of that software.

These were irreconcilable differences. If the BDA had chosen HDi there is a strong possibility Microsoft would never have gotten involved and Toshiba wouldn't have someone whispering in their ear to actually go ahead and launch. BusinessWeek articles from 2005 indicated they were ready to just call it quits.

avaya said:
They would have never merged, actually they could have prevented Toshiba ever getting to market, that's about it.

Blu-ray was attractive to so many because the new disc structure and accompanying technical specification allowed a new patent pool, better than DVD (dominated by Toshiba and Time-Warner) for a majority of companies.

At unification meetings in 2005, Toshiba's main DVD architect didn't want to change disc structure because that would be equivalent to not doing HD-DVD, there was no incentive. The official PR response was that Toshiba’s Mr. Fuji asked Sony and Matsushita for proof that 0.1mm would work, none was given, this formed the basis of the “50GB is science fiction” meme from Wintel. Meanwhile Sony was being cheeky in the DVD-Forum proposing DVD-18, a 4-layer DVD disc holding 18GB. This was never approved and you can guess why…

Their IP was based in disc structure. Toshiba proposed HD-DVD disc structure with Blu-ray software platform, for the CEs on the BDA this was pointless. Not much different from DVD. The BDA proposed Blu-ray structure with HD-DVD software platform, for Toshiba this was pointless, they didn't own any of that software.

These were irreconcilable differences. If the BDA had chosen HDi there is a strong possibility Microsoft would never have gotten involved and Toshiba wouldn't have someone whispering in their ear to actually go ahead and launch. BusinessWeek articles from 2005 indicated they were ready to just call it quits.
interesting. and is it true that the BDA did choose HDi but the vote was overturned? I think I read that in this thread.

avaya

I found this thread useful for the same reasons as Pristine_Condition mentioned, it was much easier to get the latest news from both sides with their own unique twists here than from any other source on the net.

Hopefully the HD Movie Thread will fill the same purpose.

bune duggy said:
interesting. and is it true that the BDA did choose HDi but the vote was overturned? I think I read that in this thread.

I think their technical committee recommended it but Sun lobbied hard on the basis that Java was open and no one had control so the BDA Director companies voted it down or vetoed it. IIRC Sony and Disney were for HDi, Matsushita wasn't.

SRG01

avaya said:
I found this thread useful for the same reasons as Pristine_Condition mentioned, it was much easier to get the latest news from both sides with their own unique twists here than from any other source on the net.

Hopefully the HD Movie Thread will fill the same purpose.

I think their technical committee recommended it but Sun lobbied hard on the basis that Java was open and no one had control so the BDA Director companies voted it down or vetoed it. IIRC Sony and Disney were for HDi, Matsushita wasn't.

What? Really?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
just came home with my first HD movies

Spider-man 3
Ratatouille
Troy

and an internal LG HD-DVD + Blu-Ray PC drive

i wasn't lying when i said i'd jump in when there's only one choice

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I hope this announcement leads to lower prices on Blu-rays very soon. I still think the $29.99 and $34.99 price tags at retailers are still a deterrent. In addition, Netflix better get on the ball and start actively increasing their inventories. I have 12 Blu-ray movies in my queue and only 1 is available now.
seriously? ever blu-ray movie i que up, i get a few days later. never had to wait (weird).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
avaya said:
I think their technical committee recommended it

Which should've been the end of it, and would've meant that MS would NOT have put out an HD DVD drive (or at least not JUST an HD DVD drive). Without MS support, this war wouldn't have lasted this long. All things considered, it was still relatively short.

Corporate politics were involved at ever step of this, which is what's so disappointing for consumers. It's a good thing it ended as quickly as it did, and I think WB should be commended for their choice.

seriously? ever blu-ray movie i que up, i get a few days later. never had to wait (weird).

Older titles, sure. But newer movies, no way that is true.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bune duggy said:
I'm sure someone will have a pithy remark about how well that worked out for them...
Lemme have a whack at it.

Max_PL said:
so HD DVD was out first meaning the first format available to consumers.
And now they'll be first to become unavailable to customers. Because being first is all that matters, amirite?

avaya

SRG01 said:
What? Really?

Disney co-created HDi. Sony didn't mind either way, if it appeases Microsoft and Disney they were OK. Read about the behind the scenes shit that went down between Microsoft and Sony here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm

Matsushita and other directors, probably Sharp, Hitachi and Mitsubishi as well as Apple (who even tabled a motion in late 2005 to remove VC-1 from the spec :lol) were opposed.

I find it interesting Disney abandoned their own creation HDi and stayed Blu-ray. Time-Warner cut the lifeline of their own creation HD-DVD and went with Blu-ray (well they were appeased with BD-9, bringing in some of Time-Warner's red-laser DVD patent pool into the Blu-ray spec)

Xisiqomelir

avaya said:
Matsushita and other directors, probably Sharp, Hitachi and Mitsubishi as well as Apple (who even tabled a motion in late 2005 to remove VC-1 from the spec :lol) were opposed.

Goddamn, Steve Jobs is a baller :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was catching up on what i missed last night, but i wanted to post before this thread gets locked.

Im really surprised at some of the blatent bias against sony ive seen in recent days by places like TWiT, im really amazed that so called professional journalists that are paid to right about products like hd dvd and blu-ray, can hold such a grudge against a company and then talk and write about it. Its shamefull really.

This thread was great, thanks to all the regulars, Onix, DJK, Van, Ignatz, and everyone else, enjoy the movies I'll see you in the hd thread. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
Perhaps it is a new release effect. I do have Michael Clayton on its way and I was able to get Becoming Jane and Across the Universe relatively easy as well.

jjasper

:lol Apple.

Anyway I think at this point both Apple and Microsoft are fighting their own separate battle and little will have anything to do with Blu Ray at this point.

Raistlin

DJ_Tet said:
It's bullshit that Toshiba won't support their customers with a dual format player, quite frankly.

Simple business. There is no way they would make money off of such an endeavor. As a matter of fact, they would just end up losing more.

Well it's been fun.

Now you all stop bitching and start talking about movies.

Personally, I'm more interested to hear Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks future plans at the moment.

DopeyFish said:
just came home with my first HD movies

Spider-man 3
Ratatouille
Troy

and an internal LG HD-DVD + Blu-Ray PC drive

i wasn't lying when i said i'd jump in when there's only one choice

How much did it cost you?

Raistlin

herod said:
how many betamax systems were sold in the end?

Millions iirc ... , but the real difference is that the format actually thrived in the pro community.

Betamax was never really a 'failed' format, it a was a failed consumer format.

DJ_Tet said:

XA2

Replicant

avaya said:
Disney co-created HDi. Sony didn't mind either way, if it appeases Microsoft and Disney they were OK. Read about the behind the scenes shit that went down between Microsoft and Sony here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005106_9074_tc024.htm

This is why I find it amusing when HD-DVD fans spreading FUD about how Sony is out to take over the world. After all, it's Matsushita aka Panasonic who decided to break away from it. It's laughable when they say that they're going to choose Panasonic player out of spite for Sony.

Raistlin

MaX_PL said:

>_< Wow ... glad you paid attention to history.

That doesn't mean it was started first ... or that they weren't aware of what support the competition had before launch ... etc.

Why dig into this now anyway?

The Main Event said:
Well it's been fun.

Now you all stop bitching and start talking about movies.

Personally, I'm more interested to hear Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks future plans at the moment.

How much did it cost you?

More interested because really this is old news that leaked last Friday--- It's just now with 100% more official.

I doubt Universal will jump on the bandwagon anytime soon though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
captive said:
This thread was great, thanks to all the regulars, Onix, DJK, Van, Ignatz, and everyone else, enjoy the movies I'll see you in the hd thread. :D

Caught me off guard for two reasons:
1. I'm the only HD DVD guy you mention
2. You were on my ignore list for the longest time

I'm just glad we were able to move on and I will see you in the HD movie thread.

Oni Jazar

I don't like the way Toshiba worded their PR at all. Their focus on DVD and Digital Downloads sound like very sour grapes to me. I pray that Universal and Paramount don't have the same sour grapes and release some BD movies soon.

Xisiqomelir

krypt0nian said:
Did SONY respond to Toshiba;s announcement yet? I await the goodness.

http://play.tm/story/16237

Sony pleased by Blu-ray breakthrough

Platform holder gloats over format success

* by Luke Guttridge
* 19 february 2008

With Toshiba having now given up hope of success with the HD-DVD format, the firm today announcing the end of the next-gen format, Sony have been unsurprisingly ungraceful in victory - hinting they had known Blu-ray would win out all along - attacking Microsoft's stance in the process.

"It's unfortunate that Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer," Sony Computer Entertainment America's David Karraker smirked.

"Sony realizes that to truly take gaming into the next generation requires a larger data format for both games and movies. PS3 uses the Blu-ray format for gaming, giving developers 50 GB of high-definition storage on a single disc, while Microsoft's 9 GB DVD gaming format is an obstacle for storing HD content.

"Furthermore, Microsoft's announced HD games patch is really just a compatibility feature - upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p), something that PS3 can do out of the box," he beamed.

Warner Bros. decision to side with Blu-ray has been sighted as the major reason behind HD-DVD's failure, although Sony's inclusion of the technology within their next-gen console has also been credited with helping the firm build market share and increase their clout with film studios and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom