• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

xrnzaaas

I'll be honest, I personally don't notice much difference between the two, but I haven't done many challenges since 1.02.

The initial load seems to be the same for me, but the loading times after you've died or when you're repeating a challenge are better. It's not a big difference (maybe up to 20% faster), but it is noticeable.

Anyway if someone was holding out because of the problems with the game I'd say keep waiting for the 1.03 version. ;)

I'm trying to decide between this and Until Dawn on PS4. I know they're vastly different games, but I want something very fun for the Christmas vacation.....Hmmm....

black070

I'm trying to decide between this and Until Dawn on PS4. I know they're vastly different games, but I want something very fun for the Christmas vacation.....Hmmm....

Until Dawn for sure - I'd wait for another big patch or two before picking this one up.

danowat

Banned

Well, JC games are generally the only games that make me physically laugh out loud when playing, so take that how you will.

Just learned last night that I had to hold shift to retract tethers

I wondered why they weren't doing anything before ...

Yeah... that's game-changing to learn.

I've put together my first low-light clip of boring and mundane things that I find at least slightly interesting while playing Just Cause 3. I plan to make this a series where I basically focus on non-explosions (seems like most videos show off a ton of big explosions or 'epic plays') and other silly small details. Youtube link here if you're bored.

GravyButt

Just got it in the mail on the ps4. Im not expecting too much after hearing all the issues but im still assuming im going to have a blast.......;-)

Been playing JC3 on PS4 here and there during the last week. I don't play games much anymore because I hate "walking from here to there".

The last open world game I played was Witcher 3 which totally burned me out on the travelling everywhere being Boring As F just for s few seconds of fun battling something and then move on, I was also too powerful in the witcher which made the combat no fun like it was in the early game.

Anyway this is about JC3 not W3. It's just so much fun to zip around the world that I actually don't mind that the game is quite simple. I like blowing stuff up, I love the game mechanics and especially flying forever from one side of the world to the other with just wing suit, it's hard but it's so much fun to try. I'll probably get bored with it before I finish but for now it's actually providing me with a place to have some fun with. I wish more games were like this because it's actually FUN.

I'm waiting now for uncharted and I'd like to play tomb raider because they're both very linear and action packed.

The biggest problem I have with the game on PS4 is the damn loading times! If my PC was near a TV at the moment I'd have got it there but it's not and so ps4 it is.

I suppose most people would say that I am what is wrong with gaming these days.

What I really want is for some company to hurry the F up and release the OASIS from Ready Player One in real life already.

On PC, was getting 60 fps yesterday, downloaded the patch, now getting around 20. Fucking bullshit. Totally unplayable.

Running a 970m with 6GB of video ram

Plus exiting cause it to crash.

vypek

Driving a car to a garage and after a few KM I am launched out because the car randomly disappeared. WTF? The HUD still thinks I am in a car though. At act 3, this is beginning to get tiresome. Especially with these huge ass, empty spaces and its hard to find anything around here.

Anung

Un Rama
Just started this today and if the load times are this bad now I can't even imagine what they were like before the patch.

I'm enjoying it though. The carnage and wing suit are so much fun. I do think the game keeps trying to get in the way of that fun way too often. Also this game has so much busy work it'd make assassins creed blush. I actually think the map is over-sized.

On PC, was getting 60 fps yesterday, downloaded the patch, now getting around 20. Fucking bullshit. Totally unplayable.

Running a 970m with 6GB of video ram

Plus exiting cause it to crash.
Are your other games affected? I had a similar issue where JC3 had somehow broken my Nvidia driver and all my games ran at 20fps. I redownloaded, reinstalled the driver and everything is back up to 60fps now.

xrnzaaas

Trophy whore confirmed. :)

1116jxxo.jpg

Given a lot of fucks when trying to deliver that boat. First I tried to slide it down the mountain, but its armor is really weak. This method also had a lot of difficulties like the AI vehicles ramming into the truck or (worse case scenario) into the boat.

geomon

1116jxxo.jpg

Given a lot of fucks when trying to deliver that boat. First I tried to slide it down the mountain, but its armor is really weak. This method also had a lot of difficulties like the AI vehicles ramming into the truck or (worse case scenario) into the boat.

I used the Urga Hrom D and all 6 tethers with tether strength II to get that son of bitch barely into the river and then drove it to dock/garage.

1116jxxo.jpg

Did several tries like that with no luck, finally spawned a cargo plane, loaded the boat into the hold and landed the fucker in the sea right next to a garage.

xrnzaaas

Yeah it's great that this trophy can be obtained in my ways. The game should have more "creative" trophies like this one. There's only one other trophy of this kind that's about capturing a base using only tethers, but that one is really easy and it comes down only to finding the easiest base to conquer.

So I finished the "story" a few days ago and have decided I'm probably done with it until the inevitable MP mod arrives on PC. There's so much thats brilliant, the traversal, creative destructions and explosions are first rate and I actually love the gameplay loop of liberating areas. But the world itself lacks any character and its tech always seems to be falling over itself. I would've loved to see what 3 more months of polish would've done.

Question though: Would Mad Max still be worth my time? Both have their similarities, but MM seemed to be far better received. I'd love to hear any opinions from anyone who has played both.

danowat

Banned
So I finished the "story" a few days ago and have decided I'm probably done with it until the inevitable MP mod arrives on PC. There's so much thats brilliant, the traversal, creative destructions and explosions are first rate and I actually love the gameplay loop of liberating areas. But the world itself lacks any character and its tech always seems to be falling over itself. I would've loved to see what 3 more months of polish would've done.

Question though: Would Mad Max still be worth my time? Both have their similarities, but MM seemed to be far better received. I'd love to hear any opinions from anyone who has played both.

Yeah, they missed a trick with the character part, I know the islands are based on the same style of place, but they shouldn't be.

I like the way each set of islands are tied to each act of the game, but all three sets of islands are pretty much exactly the same, there should have been some disparities between them all so it feels like the environments are changing, many of the bases and settlements are basically copy and pastes, and they aren't diverse enough, they missed a trick.

As for MM, I struggle with the car handling, and that is the main form of traversal so I struggled to play it.

Does anyone else have trouble detaching your cabling with a controller on the pc version? Says press B but that doesn't work I have to hit V on the keyboard

Using xb1 controller

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Not that I can tell.

Ya that's the first time I have seen someone report that after the patch. I heard it was pretty much the same sadly.

It is improved.

There's much less random slowdown with nothing going on.

Flying around feels very smooth.

No more slow motion when panning the camera about.

Oneself

PS4 version here. Load times are definitely quicker, never seems to go over a minute except for the initial loading screen.
Streaming seems improved as well, less stuttering... and more stable framerate it seems.

Played for about an hour last night and it's definitely improved. Intentionally failed a few challenges to see the load times and they are way, way better. Didn't notice much slowdown either and I blew up a few of those big radio towers at once. (PS4)

SomTervo

Mad Max is far more simple and very, very different. Good though, and the car handling gets better with upgrades so don't worry about that. Needs a controller though.

There are moments when Mad Max is like an open world Last of Us. But only moments. It couldn't hold my attention that well, certainly not as well as JC3.

It is improved.

There's much less random slowdown with nothing going on.

Flying around feels very smooth.

No more slow motion when panning the camera about.

Have you gone to any of the bigger settlements? Small cities? Those usually caused some pretty big slowdown.

Plan to play some tonight so I will see for myself too.

Mad Max is far more simple and very, very different. Good though, and the car handling gets better with upgrades so don't worry about that. Needs a controller though.

There are moments when Mad Max is like an open world Last of Us. But only moments. It couldn't hold my attention that well, certainly not as well as JC3.

Yeah, Mad Max has an EXCELLENT foundation but also has a hard time holding my interest :/

SJRB

Yeah, Mad Max has an EXCELLENT foundation but also has a hard time holding my interest :/

Literally everything in Mad Max revolves around finding scrap. Later upgrades require so much scrap that looking around started to make me feel like I was having a part-time job.

Once the novelty of the wasteland wears off there really isn't much left underneath. In a sense it's similar to Just Cause 3, I guess.

Literally everything in Mad Max revolves around finding scrap. Later upgrades require so much scrap that looking around started to make me feel like I was having a part-time job.

Once the novelty of the wasteland wears off there really isn't much left underneath. In a sense it's similar to Just Cause 3, I guess.
I vastly prefer the immediacy of Just Cause 3 tho and as said before by others, it's the closest thing to a Mercenaries successor that we've gotten up to this point...

McNum

Well, Medici is blue, Di Ravello is history, and all that's left to do is Daredevil Jumps to get the Monster Truck.

The final battle ended up hilariously anticlimactic.

As I thought, the golden helicopter was the final boss, and since I had one of those, too, I summoned it. Rebel Drop, toss beacon. *beep beep click* And then the battle ended as Di Ravello flew right under the shipping container and took it dead-on the rotorblades, causing him to crash instantly.

Silly General.

Of course, then my golden helicopter popped out on top of him afterwards.

So yeah, fun game overall, but when I get the last few jumps done, I think I'm pretty much done with it for now.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well I got my PS4 back today and it looks like the JC3 crash that killed it definitely wiped my saves. I reinstalled and started it up only to find that i'm back at the beginning. I thought my cloud saves would have kicked in.

Ah well. I was only 10% completed, but those 8 Challenges I 5-starred are going to piss me off again.

EDIT: Ah, I was able to overwrite the new game with the old cloud save after I exited via Application Save Data management. Phew! Back in business.

Well I got my PS4 back today and it looks like the JC3 crash that killed it definitely wiped my saves. I reinstalled and started it up only to find that i'm back at the beginning. I thought my cloud saves would have kicked in.

Ah well. I was only 10% completed, but those 8 Challenges I 5-starred are going to piss me off again.

EDIT: Ah, I was able to overwrite the new game with the old cloud save after I exited via Application Save Data management. Phew! Back in business.

Make sure to get the 1.02 patch

geomon

Well, Medici is blue, Di Ravello is history, and all that's left to do is Daredevil Jumps to get the Monster Truck.

The final battle ended up hilariously anticlimactic.

As I thought, the golden helicopter was the final boss, and since I had one of those, too, I summoned it. Rebel Drop, toss beacon. *beep beep click* And then the battle ended as Di Ravello flew right under the shipping container and took it dead-on the rotorblades, causing him to crash instantly.

Silly General.

Of course, then my golden helicopter popped out on top of him afterwards.

So yeah, fun game overall, but when I get the last few jumps done, I think I'm pretty much done with it for now.

I took him out with one booster rocket, fully upgraded. He flew into the side of the volcano.

It was ridiculously easy.

Top Bottom