• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

TreIII

Iga builds a castle and turns it into an entertainment ride for backers to enjoy first.
You get to storm Iga's castle and fight dracula with a whip.

I'd back at a higher tier, if I was guaranteed to come out of the experience having learned how to Double Jump!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Anyone know how to back twice? I got the $100 version (PS4), but I also want to get a copy for Wii U at the $60 version.

From the FAQ:

Can I add-on multiple tiers?

Yes! Simply select the highest tier you want, and then add any lower tiers to your pledge total. For example, if you want the collectors box ($250) plus an extra physical copy ($60), you should pledge $310. Also add the shipping cost of each tier if outside the United States.

During the survey process (which will happen after the Kickstarter is complete) you'll be allowed to apply your funds to specific tiers.

Theonik

Anyone know how to back twice? I got the $100 version (PS4), but I also want to get a copy for Wii U at the $60 version.
Back $160 and select the $100 reward, note the extra reward in the comments.
Also they will be sending you a survey for add-ons after the funding is done I think.

Edit: There we go.

I'd back at a higher tier, if I was guaranteed to come out of the experience having learned how to Double Jump!
Of course!

And we're still around $1,400,000 short that we have to raise in 5 days to get to $5,000,000.

If Bloodstained actually pulls this off it'll be nothing short of amazing.

Welp, it's not on fire just yet today after all... I think $4 millions is a lock, but $5 millions will be very tough.

Oh, maybe I should back this thing. <_<

Redtale

Neo Member
I imagine $4 million is doable but unless the goal for $5 million is really amazing I doubt it will go that high.

It will definitely reach $4 million. It just needs to average $75k for the next 5 days for that to happen. With the surge at the end and the additional money coming in from PayPal it should be no problem.

Vitacat

Just stepped up and pledged $300. So happy to see the spirit of Castlevania live on.

My wife convinced me to go for it. Gotta love her. =)

Vitacat

I'd tell you to put a ring on her. But you already did.

LOL! I just told her your post and she said "this is from the wife currently in her billionth hour of Dragon Age." She is obsessed with Dragon Age. But she also does play Tekken and classic arcade games with me.

Marry a gamer girl is all I gotta say. =)

Syder

I always back Kickstarters towards the end of their run and I only just realised how much they're asking for this... God, I love Castlevania and Igarashi but.. ughh.. It's just too much.

I can always buy it when it's on Steam.

Moofers

I don't look at this like I'm just buying the game for my $60. I look at it like I'm helping to secure the things I want it to be. Wii U and Vita support, Orchestrated tracks, local co-op, etc. as far as I'm concerned, this project is worth the small amount of money even though the game is two years out. If you don't love Vania enough for that, it's totally understandable. Kickstarter is only for the crazy fans who really really get passionate about specific projects. No shame in waiting for the release to buy in.

One thing I hope they clarify, if PS4 and Vita are cross-save compatible, does that mean if I get one "Kickstarter edition" and another at launch, that transferring a save from the "Kickstarter edition" with the Sword-whip in inventory to the regular edition would unlock all the bonuses onto that version? It seems like a pretty important piece of information to detail, as failing to allow extra equipment and certain extra locations to be brought over to a "regular edition" with this cross-save comparability would be a pretty big error, I think. I understand they might not want to clarify before funding is over so that people might spend more money to make sure to get two "Kickstarter editions", but at least between Vita and PS4, they should logically be able to share the bonuses from one version to another.

Istaerion

I always back Kickstarters towards the end of their run and I only just realised how much they're asking for this... God, I love Castlevania and Igarashi but.. ughh.. It's just too much.

Do keep in mind that it's bound to release at a higher price than what they're asking for on Kickstarter. Now, if you're not all that interested in pledging in the first place and would rather wait on actual release or a sale, then more power to ya.

Is the Vita physical copy exclusive to the kickstarter, or will it be available at retail?

There will be a retail release for all platforms as far as I'm aware judging by the language in their FAQ. Wii U, Vita, and PC, however, are in an interesting spot due to their presence levels.

I imagine it'll be a very limited retail release for those platforms come 2017 as all three are already fairly undesirable in retail stores.

Redtale

Neo Member

If you're okay with not getting the swordwhip and extra boss, $28 is a pretty good price. I doubt the game will be that cheap when it releases.

Do keep in mind that in Divinity: Original Sin's Kickstarter, the smallest donation-tier that would net you a digital copy (not counting the early bird special) was also $28. D:OS was officially released at $40.

Bloodstained may not turn out the same way, mind you. But by pledging now, you'll certainly receive a much better deal than when it gets released. You could also wait for a sale, but you might be waiting even longer than 2017. Steam seems to have gotten into the habit of employing a lot of 33% off sales before venturing into 50% off territory.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Makes me a bit sad that someone who says they "love Castlevania and Igarashi" doesn't think a new game in the same vein is worth $28. =/ I guess Steam sales will do that to you.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me a bit sad that someone who says they "love Castlevania and Igarashi" doesn't think a new game in the same vein is worth $28. =/ I guess Steam sales will do that to you.

Everyone loves their hobbies to varying degrees. I loved Mega Man enough to fund MN9 for $25. Castlevania enough for $125 and maybe more. No need to judge others, it's all a matter of preference after all.

Rymuth

Everyone loves their hobbies to varying degrees. I loved Mega Man enough to fund MN9 for $25. Castlevania enough for $125 and maybe more. No need to judge others, it's all a matter of preference after all.
I dont think posters have a problem with preferances, it's just the 'too much' label that raised a few eyebrows.

Too much compared to what? MN9, Divinity, Yooka Laylee are all asking the same price.

Sesha

The game definitely sounds like it's worth it with the amount of content they're promising. For me, while I love Castlevania and Iga's work on the franchise, I literally can't afford it. If it was like $15 I'd have backed it in less a heartbeat. But as a package the apparent value of the game definitely exceeds $28, just going by the stretch goals alone.

Fisico

Too much compared to what? MN9, Divinity, Yooka Laylee are all asking the same price.

No they aren't/weren't

MN9 : 20$
Yooka Laylee : 10/15£
Divinity : 25/28$

In fact Bloodstained proved that now big KS can ask for more money if you want to "preorder" the game, it remains to be seen if that's a good thing or not.

Not to mention that if you live in Euroland the exchange rate is crap now

Dice

In for $60 Digital for GOG.

In fact Bloodstained proved that now big KS can ask for more money if you want to "preorder" the game, it remains to be seen if that's a good thing or not.
I'm not sure I would do this for any other game. Maybe if it was a Hideo Kojima game with Platinum. I mean, Iga is a fucking legend. SotN is the greatest 2D game ever made. Inti Creates has completely proven themselves time and time again. This is a project I trust completely.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
The game definitely sounds like it's worth it with the amount of content they're promising. For me, while I love Castlevania and Iga's work on the franchise, I literally can't afford it. If it was like $15 I'd have backed it in less a heartbeat. But as a package the apparent value of the game definitely exceeds $28, just going by the stretch goals alone.

It can't be helped if you can't afford it. At least you see potential value. I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder though. Just makes me wonder what they're comparing this to.

Rymuth

No they aren't/weren't

MN9 : 20$
Yooka Laylee : 10/15£
Divinity : 25/28$

Not to mention that if you live in Euroland the exchange rate is crap now

Yooka Laylee lists the console version for $24 dollars
Bloodstained for $28
Divinity $28

Your move.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn, i'm kinda struck with the "handheld games should be cheaper" syndrome now. I want to get a physical Vita version, but for some reason, i want it to be cheaper. Its kinda strange because the content should be exactly the same across the board, so the price should also then in theory be the same. Its also more expencive to produce a cart compared to a disc.

I'm also curious if the Kickstarter version will have the extra stuff integrated or if its just a standard version of the game with DLC code included. I would assume the latter.

Astral Dog

It can't be helped if you can't afford it. At least you see potential value. I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder though. Just makes me wonder what they're comparing this to.

$30 is what your typical IGAvania costs, its not asking much, thats why there are different contribution goals, i see it as a reasonable price point to start, but of course different economic situation or a bit less love of the genre/hobby whatever, sometimes just another priority.

Some people may give $300 or more because they love the games and can afford it, others want to support it but will struggle to give $28.

.edit: and im going from digital to physical over again! cant decide

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, if I want two digital copies (on different platforms), but I want the backer-exclusive content for both, I guess I'm supposed to pledge $120 ($60+$60), is that right? Seems kind of a poor value to be honest.
Does the extra digital copy in the $125 tier also include the backer-exclusive content?

Too bad my next pay's in 2 weeks. Otherwise I'd back for the PC KS physical copy. Castlevania SOTN was amazing (haven't played the handheld games. Just don't like playing on handhelds).

Crocodile

So, if I want two digital copies (on different platforms), but I want the backer-exclusive content for both, I guess I'm supposed to pledge $120 ($60+$60), is that right? Seems kind of a poor value to be honest.
Does the extra digital copy in the $125 tier also include the backer-exclusive content?

In the FAQ:

"Is special edition content available for the digital download version?

We've added a digital $60 tier with the bonus boss and Swordwhip, so all digital versions in the $60, $125, $175, and $250+ tiers include the bonus content."

Two $60 pledges also get you two soundtracks and two PDF booklets but I dunno if those have any value to you

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In the FAQ:

We've added a digital $60 tier with the bonus boss and Swordwhip, so all digital versions in the $60, $125, $175, and $250+ tiers include the bonus content."

Two $60 pledges also get you two soundtracks and two PDF booklets but I dunno if those have any value to you
Thanks, must have missed that.

Audette

I just wanted to say that one of my favourite songs on the SotN OST is Final Toccata.

Absolutely fantastic track.
hope to hear something close in the new game.

edit: "House of Sacred Remains", from LoI is another similar styled track. Wonderful atmosphere in songs like these. Hope we get something like them in this new title.

Sou Da

In the FAQ:

Seems like a huge fuck you to the $28 backers.

Vitacat

So what formats are people planning to ask for?

I funded at $300, and if I understood correctly that will include a 2 copies of the game, plus all the goodies and signed stuff etc. So I will be able to request 2 format versions of the game when it's ready; one will be a physical copy and the other digital.

I'm thinking the PC version will be the "best." Although I'm sure all the console versions will be solid, though I wonder how the Wii U and Vita will fare?

I'm thinking maybe the PC version or PS4, and Vita since it would be cool to have it handheld as well. Not sure which to ask for as a physical copy.

RedZaraki

Banned
So what formats are people planning to ask for?

I funded at $300, and if I understood correctly that will include a 2 copies of the game: a physical copy and a digital copy (plus all the goodies and signed stuff etc.). So I will be able to request 2 format versions of the game when it's ready; one will be a physical copy and the other digital.

I'm thinking the PC version will be the "best." Although I'm sure all the console versions will be solid, though I wonder how the Wii U and Vita will fare?

Honestly I'm a bit torn because I enjoy all those platforms and would like a physical copy for them all!

I've gone in at the $100 tier and am choosing a PS4 physical copy, myself. I enjoy the Dualshock 4 controller and get nostalgic of remembering PS1 SOTN. Those aren't very solid reasons but there ya go.

Vitacat

I've gone in at the $100 tier and am choosing a PS4 physical copy, myself. I enjoy the Dualshock 4 controller and get nostalgic of remembering PS1 SOTN. Those aren't very solid reasons but there ya go.

That makes perfect sense, actually. It's all about the platform that gives you the experience you enjoy most.

For me, I have a PC inside a sit down arcade cabinet with nice Japanese controls, and I get a kick out of playing 2D games on it. And I also have a Surface. So the PC version would mean a lot of versatility for me.

Eusis

This is my logic too. I do see CV as a Nintendo franchise, but this isn't CV, and what it's following spiritually has its roots in PS1, and more of a TG16 connection really, with I think two enemies from CV4 and... many more sprits recycled from Rondo of Blood.

Nevermind if we get a best case scenario and a repeat of the retail version of MN9 with a complimentary Vita download, which seems likely even if the MN9 Kickstarter doesn't do this given Deep Silver's in on it from the start so it's probably going to be worked out at an earlier point and happen.

I'm buying the PS4 physical version to play, and the digital PC version for dem betas. 2 years is a long time, so being able to play the game, even in its early stages and being able to somewhat help in how it'll turn out at launch is just too good of an opportunity to pass up on aha.

Top Bottom