• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin |OT| Bath Kyodais

Nankatsu

Nope, you have to walk around and find them yourself.

Wait, really?

shocked mr bean GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wait, really?

shocked mr bean GIF
Well, when in the middle of a substory you'll get a map marker (!) to know where to go next.

But in order to start them, you have to find them yourself. This has always been kind of inconsistent in the Yakuza games, for example 5 I think showed them on the map, but not 0 nor 6.

That said, NPCs that have a sidequest kind of stand out, so it's not that hard to find them but still easy to miss some.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
donald-glover-good.gif

I like it better that way, it makes the sub-stories feel more organic. The Yakuza maps are small enough not to need any of that Ubisoft map vomit.
Yeah I like it better too. Otherwise I would go from one map marker to the next in a kinda compulsive way, instead of just finding them along the way.

protonion

After the intro section I spent a couple of hours doing side quests and maximizing bonds.

It is what I love in these games. A tiny map crammed with things to do.

Also I feel this has the best battle system in the series.

SkylineRKR

I do prefer the Dragon Engine Yakuza and Judgment games but Ishin is novel for being playable in English finally. I do like it though some things are jarring such as load times and 30fps cutscenes. The game does get better after a slow start.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, I liked LaD but it feels great to play a straight forward revenge story with Kiryu/Ryoma as a 'lone warrior'.

adamsapple

Yo, they're giving away a very powerful sword (for at least chapter 2) as free DLC lol.

Its attack is 380 compared to just 80 of the sword you start with.

Arsic

So question . I got to chapter 5 a few days ago where you get all the captains and missions etc so the combat really opens up.

I got a prompt a little later that the clown guy back at the kitchen at my apartment I’m renting was giving out free legendary captains of what seemed to be various streamers. I’ve claimed every item from him but they weren’t in there. I did get the tiger, dog, icchiban, etc legendaries but not what seemed like a v tuber and cohhcarnage and a few others ?

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong ?

Also I can’t claim one set of items from him. Think it’s item 3 or 4. It says I’ll exceed my limit. Like… exceed or tell me what I’m over on so I can put it in storage or sell some of ?

TwinB242

So question . I got to chapter 5 a few days ago where you get all the captains and missions etc so the combat really opens up.

I got a prompt a little later that the clown guy back at the kitchen at my apartment I’m renting was giving out free legendary captains of what seemed to be various streamers. I’ve claimed every item from him but they weren’t in there. I did get the tiger, dog, icchiban, etc legendaries but not what seemed like a v tuber and cohhcarnage and a few others ?

Also I can’t claim one set of items from him. Think it’s item 3 or 4. It says I’ll exceed my limit. Like… exceed or tell me what I’m over on so I can put it in storage or sell some of ?

You pretty much have to empty your entire inventory into storage in order to be able to accept that DLC pack. Its a big batch of items that take up most of your inventory.

Last edited:

PsyEd

Been playing it early due to pre-ordering...gotta support RGG studio so they give future PC ports more TLC. Love the official English translation, Baka Mitai for Ishin and minor cosmetic/character changes here and there. But frankly this UE sucks....their own DE was a WAY better choice IMHO. Like the main reason to go with UE was the game has many scenes at night...yet the game is filled with lights and sparks/effects flying everywhere that lights up everything...so why is it on UE again !?!?! And in PC the cut-scene has no reason to be neutered to 30fps...guess it was done so certain console edition doesn't look that pale when compared. Also the "consumable one time DLC" content was a scummy move.

Anyways...so far on PC the controls/gameplay are solid...here's a sample fight for those who crave high voltage Samurai action...

Completed on hard and now doing the hardest Ishin mode to get my money's worth.
Playing this game in easy mode is...Shamefur Dispray!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I gave the demo a try but I just couldn't seem to get the hang of the combat. I think the RPG gameplay of Like a Dragon would probably be a better fit for me. Is the new Yakuza 8 going to be like this one or like an RPG?

Arsic

I gave the demo a try but I just couldn't seem to get the hang of the combat. I think the RPG gameplay of Like a Dragon would probably be a better fit for me. Is the new Yakuza 8 going to be like this one or like an RPG?

I remember reading a while back the mainline Yakuza games would now be RPG turn based, and the other games like this and Judgement would be action combat.

Labadal

I won't try to convince you to get the game, but the demo does a terrible job of introducing new players to the series.

The actual game does it the right way, by slowly introducing you to combat, and different styles. They should have just released the first chapter as a demo.

Theres also a limit on recruits you can have at a time

adamsapple

This fuckin' chicken racing minigame is way more complicated than it has any right to be lol.

God bless save scumming.

adamsapple

The demo/combat is only 1/3rd of the game package, the rest of the adventure stuff, wacky sub quests and the compelling main narrative make up the bulk and is well worth getting into the game alone, IMO.

And this is a standalone story so you don't have the extra baggage of previous games plot to content with.

SkylineRKR

This game is being held back by PS3 quirks a bit, it feels less immersive than the Dragon Engine game and it flows a bit worse, but I think Ishin has the best combat in the franchise otherwise. It takes some time to unlock a chunk of skills, but there are parries, iai strikes, multi lock on gun attacks etc. Just put in those training orbs, and pick a fun move.

Spyxos

I am 5-6 hours in. Still running around with starter weapons. I hope that a blacksmith is not my only option for better weapons? this upgrade tree looks very annoying.

adamsapple

7~ hours in. Still in the first story objective of chapter 3. I can't stop running back and forth finishing Bond quests lol.

I am 5-6 hours in. Still running around with starter weapons. I hope that a blacksmith is not my only option for better weapons? this upgrade tree looks very annoying.
The swords you get from signing up for Sega’s newsletter on the Ishin page are very strong at around 700-800 damage rating. One has wind element to knock enemies around and the other can break guards.

Max damage from the crafting tree looked to be around 1000 so the newsletter swords could probably take you through most of the game in a breeze.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The swords you get from signing up for Sega’s newsletter on the Ishin page are very strong at around 700-800 damage rating. One has wind element to knock enemies around and the other can break guards.

Max damage from the crafting tree looked to be around 1000 so the newsletter swords could probably take you through most of the game in a breeze.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Will try before playing the game next time.

TintoConCasera

This game has much more side-content than I thought it would, being an spin-off title and all that.

Played a lot yesterday. I think the only thing I don't like so far is that there are many sidestories that are about becoming friends with someone. Some of those are cool but others feel kinda uninspired.
I also did the courtesan minigames, which were way more fun than I expected them to be, while also doing a lot of sidestories and minigames. And by lot I mean A LOT. I don't know how, but 3 hours into yesterday's session I realized I didn't do anything story-related.

Managed to end up doing some story stuff tho, and man are story segments great.

So far I'm quite happy with the game. I don't feel like using the trooper cards outside of the dungeon tho, hope that doesn't gimp me by a lot.

adamsapple

FYI I signed up for the newsletter yesterday but still haven't received the code for the weapons :(

How long did it take you to get the code ?

xrnzaaas

This game has much more side-content than I thought it would, being an spin-off title and all that.

Played a lot yesterday. I think the only thing I don't like so far is that there are many sidestories that are about becoming friends with someone. Some of those are cool but others feel kinda uninspired.
I also did the courtesan minigames, which were way more fun than I expected them to be, while also doing a lot of sidestories and minigames. And by lot I mean A LOT. I don't know how, but 3 hours into yesterday's session I realized I didn't do anything story-related.

Managed to end up doing some story stuff tho, and man are story segments great.

So far I'm quite happy with the game. I don't feel like using the trooper cards outside of the dungeon tho, hope that doesn't gimp me by a lot.
Yeah too many substories just to start a bond. At least the substories with actual stories for most part are cool.

And yeah, it's a Yakuza game, I'm around 30 hours in and only in chapter 5 so far. ;)

NanaMiku

How do you guys use the training orb? Just use it when you get it or keep it for later?

Huh, Turned out I already subscribe to Sega newsletter. Will I get the code?

TintoConCasera

How do you guys use the training orb? Just use it when you get it or keep it for later?
I'm not 100% sure of how that works, so I just dump all the colored orbs replacing the gray orbs, then proceed to dump all the gray orbs.

adamsapple

I'm not 100% sure of how that works, so I just dump all the colored orbs replacing the gray orbs, then proceed to dump all the gray orbs.

Yeah the training orbs are universal and I replace them with colored ones if available so I can use the training ones elsewhere.

Essentially, the training orbs can be used in any class, but the colored orbs can only be used in the specific class they're for. The idea is that you replace the training orbs with the class specific orbs when you get a chance, that frees up the universal orbs that you can use anywhere you want to.

I've been focusing mainly on the sword fighting style and that has led me to a real choke point in the Komaki training's final challenge. My brawler style is for shit right now lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom