• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin |OT| Bath Kyodais

SkylineRKR

I crafted the poison sword, the one after Jizu Maru. Its fairly powerful. It seems that for the higher tear weapons you only need a bronze of silver hammer for the best quality, as they already come in blue. Silver Hammers? I just buy them from the gambling den. You exploit chickens? You have Silver Hammers.

I just need some good orbs, these can be dismantled from blades but also dropped from those Sneaks... I don't have much yet. What I have is like brawler attack bonus, yeah that helps. Brawler damage sucks ass.

I am in chapter 6 so probably kinda OP considering I also have the Golden Gun and other crafted guns that are reasonable strong in the 300 range.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I crafted the poison sword, the one after Jizu Maru. Its fairly powerful. It seems that for the higher tear weapons you only need a bronze of silver hammer for the best quality, as they already come in blue. Silver Hammers? I just buy them from the gambling den. You exploit chickens? You have Silver Hammers.

I just need some good orbs, these can be dismantled from blades but also dropped from those Sneaks... I don't have much yet. What I have is like brawler attack bonus, yeah that helps. Brawler damage sucks ass.

I am in chapter 6 so probably kinda OP considering I also have the Golden Gun and other crafted guns that are reasonable strong in the 300 range.

Sick, but, still, do you know what the elements do? What do Fire, Lightning, Light, etc. do? Wind seems to knock people down (OP af, considering Heat moves) but what does the rest? Why would I want to a Fire Sword over a Lightning one, for instance? And what is Light?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SkylineRKR

Sick, but, still, do you know what the elements do? What do Fire, Lightning, Light, etc. do? Wind seems to knock people down (OP af, considering Heat moves) but what does the rest? Why would I want to a Fire Sword over a Lightning one, for instance? And what is Light?
Light stuns enemies. I think the one you can buy in the deserted place had this effect, I've used it for a while. Enemies stand in dizzy state.

Thunder stuns enemies and keeps them shocked even after hitting them. Its what the spear weapon in the demo did.

Fire I don't really know. Does extra damage and knocks down enemies weak to it?

Yeah, finished. 40% completion list and 38h on Hard. Don't really see a reason to play again.
The ending is very weird. I would put this game above Y4 and Y3 only. Y5, Y0, Kiwami 1 and 2 or even Y6 is better. Also the gameplay is an large step down from Lost Judgment.
Graphics are +or- nothing amazing. Same for OST. I can listen to this day 0's OST a lot but not this game.

I would give an 7/10.

• Thoughtful

Spainkiller

Light stuns enemies. I think the one you can buy in the deserted place had this effect, I've used it for a while. Enemies stand in dizzy state.

Thunder stuns enemies and keeps them shocked even after hitting them.

So... Thunder is a better version of Light?

Why would anyone want to craft a Light sword if they could craft a Thunder one?

SkylineRKR

There is a lot I love about this game, like the Trooper system, the bandit caves side games, etc. The fact its a Samurai action RPG with an engaging story and characters itself.

But the PS3 stuff is jarring. Controls, camera, density of the city, load screens, 30fps cutscenes, battle transitions... Dragon Engine looked like a minor upgrade at first but holy shit is it superior in every way. Battles start instantly, and continue in shops, which you can walk in and out without load screens, lighting, density, verticality, controls.. all is superior. Especially since this gen runs them at 60fps.

Y6? Its my number one Yakuza game of all, followed by 0/7 and Kiwami 2.

But I think both Judgments are my favourites, I like the modern and detective vibe of those a lot. Lost Judgment was my GOTY, I did all including the whole school story arc which was a game on itself. Interesting bullying theme overlapping the entire package.

So... Thunder is a better version of Light?

Why would anyone want to craft a Light sword if they could craft a Thunder one?

Good question. I don't know. Though perhaps some enemies might be resistant to thunder and not light?

Personally I don't really mind elements in Yakuza. In 7 it was ofcourse mandatory since its a turn based RPG with weaknesses. But I'd be down with just swordplay.

Last edited:

Spainkiller

Cheers, that makes sense.

Do enemies even have elemental weaknesses or resistances in this game, though? I've only seem armour so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've only used 2 elemental weapons, the wind sword you get from the news letter. That was very OP and would send enemies flying everywhere after a few hits.

The second one is the flame sword, doesn't send enemies flying around everywhere, but it does make them fall down quick and keep them writing on the ground for a few seconds.

Flame also completely obliterates enemy armor in 1, 2 hits.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Did that one yesterday, probably my favorite chapter so far.

Ryoma is truly a bad ass.

Picture in spoiler tags:

3-2-2023_2-47-28_pm-fbyidr.png

3-2-2023_2-47-29_pm-k00elp.png

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
adamsapple adamsapple I think you missed the spoiler tags my dude.

And yeah! Absolute chad, even more than Kiryu... maybe.

adamsapple

adamsapple adamsapple I think you missed the spoiler tags my dude.

And yeah! Absolute chad, even more than Kiryu... maybe.

Using the [ i ] version of the tag which blurs it, but i'll put them under the regular old tags.

And to your second point, it really does feel a lot like going to Big Boss in MGS3 after playing as Solid Snake, and BB being a bigger bad ass in many regards.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Using the [ i ] version of the tag which blurs it, but i'll put them under the regular old tags.

And to your second point, it really does feel a lot like going to Big Boss in MGS3 after playing as Solid Snake, and BB being a bigger bad ass in many regards.
I think you nailed it.

Man, can't wait to keep playing. Do we know how many chapters the story has? I don't want it to end.

Spainkiller

What’s everyone tactic against enemy with power armor and that break your combos? Also: the gun guys in the arena are messing me up, even with gear equipped that let me block shots.

xrnzaaas

I've finished it and really liked the ending, this is Yakuza so I'm kinda used to the fact that in general less people die than you'd expect (because of plot armor and other stuff like that). I think I'd give it an 8.5/10 - I really liked the setting and Kyo as a city, combat styles were fun, Another Life was a really cool minigame (or rather maxigame) and main story was interesting to follow. The graphics should be better and too many substories are just about unlocking new friendships instead of throwing wacky storylines at you. Oh, and they went overboard with the double identities for MULTIPLE characters (on top of having to remember their "new" Ishin names).

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Yeah, finished. 40% completion list and 38h on Hard. Don't really see a reason to play again.
The ending is very weird. I would put this game above Y4 and Y3 only. Y5, Y0, Kiwami 1 and 2 or even Y6 is better. Also the gameplay is an large step down from Lost Judgment.
Graphics are +or- nothing amazing. Same for OST. I can listen to this day 0's OST a lot but not this game.

I would give an 7/10.
After playing it a while, it feels like they didn't do a full remake for Ishin. I think they did a similar thing to Xenoblade DE, upgrading the graphic but still the same gameplay

RNG

New patch just dropped:

PC version
  • Stuttering when effects are first loaded
  • Crashes on startup (on rare occasions)
  • The display of some UI elements being out of position on ultra-wide displays
  • Improvements to monitor selection and resolution settings displayed in a multi-monitor environment

All platforms
  • Enemies unexpectedly teleporting in rare cases when activating a heat action near a door
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the use of special turrets placed on the stage
  • Crash bug when using the abilities of the Toranosuke and Yama-goroshi cards in certain Wanted Men mission
  • Fixed a bug that caused the progression to become impossible when bringing back a deserter from Mukurogai
  • Changes in heat gauge reduction behavior that is dependent on FPS
  • Issue of Health Gauge not increasing even if the player unlocks "Health Increase 1" on the Gunman skill
  • Other stability improvements and bug fixes

Gameplay Adjustments
  • The number of repeated button presses required while performing 'Ichizu Samurai (Truehearted Samurai!)' at the Singing Bar, have been reduced

adamsapple

New patch just dropped:

My experience with the game has been almost perfect so far. Outside of one case where my quick resume state failed to load, no bugs. There is, however, some notable texture pop-in on character models every now and then.

Comandr

God damn the new patch is flat out magic. On desktop the game was flawless but on steam deck I was regularly sub 30fps on low with a shitload of stutters. Now it’s basically locked 60 on ultra at native res only dropping in the heavier shopping districts.

adamsapple

Chapter 11

Oh my god are they going to make me fight the fucking shogun of Japan ?!?

edit: YEP !!!

boy-that-escalated-quickly-ron-burgundy.gif

THIS.FUCKING.GAME !!

Last edited:

Spainkiller

I have that one but haven't had success using it, how do you trigger it ?

Just press Triangle before someone shoots you. You'll know when to do it when the Heat icon (the blue flame in the top left of the screen) flashes. It doesn't seem to work when blocking, though, so it's risky. But the window was just big enough for me to pull it off consistently.

Spainkiller

OK, finally managed to defeat everyone in the arena. Having the Swordsman Heat move that cuts guys down who attack from behind was crucial for effortlessly dealing with the Odachi guy in the Blades group, as nothing else I did would knock him down.

One question, though: is there a list of all my moves and their names somewhere? I need to do certain moves a number of time to unlock revelations, but I have no idea which moves those actually are, LOL.

NanaMiku

OK, finally managed to defeat everyone in the arena. Having the Swordsman Heat move that cuts guys down who attack from behind was crucial for effortlessly dealing with the Odachi guy in the Blades group, as nothing else I did would knock him down.

One question, though: is there a list of all my moves and their names somewhere? I need to do certain moves a number of time to unlock revelations, but I have no idea which moves those actually are, LOL.
IIRC, you open the abilities menu and then press... I forgot what button. It's displayed under the orb

adamsapple

Yeah, on Xbox you can press the Y button in the Abilities menu, if you look at the bottom left, it says the button to open the abilities/moves list.

SkylineRKR

At some point I stopped investing in Gun and Wild Dancer (Brawler I never invested in to begin with). I think sword is simply the best, it has fastest TTK. Wild Dancer might be decent for crowd control but its damage is ass. Sword gets pretty damn powerful once you can pull of heat moves when someone back stabs you, or slice bullets in half. The R2 extender is pretty good too.

I am all about heat gauge, so I use the Masamune and the armor with heat gauge perks. On my way to finish it up. Didn't feel like doing everything in this game.

Also special weapons, whats their point? They're weak as fuck and they don't hand out style points. I never got the items for the last tiers so I stopped bothering altogether lol.

Yeah, on Xbox you can press the Y button in the Abilities menu, if you look at the bottom left, it says the button to open the abilities/moves list.

The movelist is a bit weird. And it also lists moves you don't have.

Spainkiller

Unlocked the Tiger Drop for Brawler and...

200.gif

The damage output is so bad compared to the other games.

It's weird how immensely unviable Brawler is compared to the rest. At first I thought people were overreacting slightly, but turns out I was wearing the cloth that raised Brawler attack power!! And even if that the damage output was laughable.

Insult to injury is that the dojo guy that fights the same way actually does have crazy damage output. It was the only fight in the game for which I had to lower the difficulty, even.

adamsapple

It's weird how immensely unviable Brawler is compared to the rest. At first I thought people were overreacting slightly, but turns out I was wearing the cloth that raised Brawler attack power!! And even if that the damage output was laughable.

Insult to injury is that the dojo guy that fights the same way actually does have crazy damage output. It was the only fight in the game for which I had to lower the difficulty, even.

You can fight Komaki in the arena with all of your weapons, and I derived a lot of pleasure burning his old ass with my fire sword for all the forced brawler training.

Brawler really is pretty terrible in this.

Spainkiller

You can fight Komaki in the arena with all of your weapons, and I derived a lot of pleasure burning his old ass with my fire sword for all the forced brawler training.

Brawler really is pretty terrible in this.

Yeah, that was very cathartic.

It's a shame that Brawler's so shit; I was really looking forward to parrying the crap out of everything. It was over once I unlocked that for Wild Dancer.

I also read that this version completely effed up the in-game economy? Apparently getting all the weapons was waaaaaay cheaper and easier in the OG version.

adamsapple

Yeah, that was very cathartic.

It's a shame that Brawler's so shit; I was really looking forward to parrying the crap out of everything. It was over once I unlocked that for Wild Dancer.

I also read that this version completely effed up the in-game economy? Apparently getting all the weapons was waaaaaay cheaper and easier in the OG version.

Never got a chance to play the original so can't comment on the last line, but at least the chicken racing exploit still seems to be there as of the patch on PS5 a day or two ago. That's what I used, cause I ain't about to spend all the ungodly amount of time grinding for the 100's of Ryos or the 100k points for the golden gun lol.

Is it 'cheating'? Yes, but who the fuck cares, it's greatly increased my enjoyment of the game.

NanaMiku

Just realized that are helmet that will display substory/enemies/increase virtue/get money while walking that you can craft. Pretty expensive though. Thank God for the chicken race exploit

adamsapple

Just realized that are helmet that will display substory/enemies/increase virtue/get money while walking that you can craft. Pretty expensive though. Thank God for the chicken race exploit

Yeah, I got one of those helmets that generates money when you walk, but the generation rate is so low that it might as well not even be there, especially if you know the chicken race exploit. The helmet which shows substories on the map is pretty nice tho, cause unlike the more recent Yakuza games, there's no markers on how to trigger substories outside of running into them blindly.

RNG

What is the helmet called? I need it!

NanaMiku

What is the helmet called? I need it!
I forgot the name. You just go to the smithing and choose the helmet category. You scroll down and then you see several helmet without any tree. Just check each one and press triangle to check the helmet skill.

Reactions: RNG

Spainkiller

Never got a chance to play the original so can't comment on the last line, but at least the chicken racing exploit still seems to be there as of the patch on PS5 a day or two ago. That's what I used, cause I ain't about to spend all the ungodly amount of time grinding for the 100's of Ryos or the 100k points for the golden gun lol.

Is it 'cheating'? Yes, but who the fuck cares, it's greatly increased my enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, it's great, but it doesn't fix the main problem if you want to platinum the game, which is the INSANE grind one needs to do to get all the materials necessary to craft everything.

I've gone through all the dungeon levels (all 40 of 'em) and they only gave 2 of an item that I need 20 of just to make ONE sword.

Fuck this plat, LOL.

TwinB242

It seems really hard to make money in this compared to the previous Yakuza games. I just got the 2nd letter to pay off another 20 ryo for Haruka's home but I only have 10 right now and no idea how to quickly make more (without doing any exploits).

Where/how the hell can I get back to my farm?

From the inn just take a right and keep following the river in that direction. You'll see a few short piers with some boats, the guy who takes you is right there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom