• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin |OT| Bath Kyodais

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It seems really hard to make money in this compared to the previous Yakuza games. I just got the 2nd letter to pay off another 20 ryo for Haruka's home but I only have 10 right now and no idea how to quickly make more (without doing any exploits).

Without the exploits, the other big mini game (raiding the mines) you unlock some chapters in gets you a bunch of Ryo's for completing the harder difficulty chapters each time, they can be repeated as many times.

But, honestly, just do the chicken races exploit. It's very well worth it.

Where/how the hell can I get back to my farm?

A new boat and person gets added to the very south of the market in Fushimi at the dock.

SkylineRKR

Another Life is also a decent source of money. I decided to finish it up before I went to the end. Good thing the game directs you to it, and lets you decide.

Its worth it. Another life is really chill. With all the virtue upgrades it nets you tons of virtue too, so in a short time I had the farm and house maxed. And you are farming vegetables, cooking, going to the fish market, grocery and fishing. I finally found out where Udon flour is for, and Honey is used for one recipe I think.

I didn't fish much yet, but now I catched about everything there is. Including the 10 star Oarfish (didn't see orders for those yet). You need to do all this if you want to complete the menu. I cooked everything, including the hidden recipe from Gion, but you get nothing for that. Some however stop you from heat depletion, so they're worth it.

Money starts to rake in after a while, perhaps it has to do with Haruka's level? But a Ginseng order nets me 3 Ryo, Pepper, garlic etc 1-2 Ryo per order too. If you have tons of those, you can do them repeatedly.

xrnzaaas

Yes Another Life is a legit money-making method. It can become very profitable, but you have to keep investing in Virtue upgrades, level up the farm and harvest a lot of different plants. After that you can start making at least several Ryo from each short visit to the farm (selling fruits and vegetables is the quickest way).
I'm only disappointed there wasn't a bigger conclusing to Haruka's story. I wished for something more than a short conversation. I would also add a pond or river/sea access to the farm instead of having to return to Kyo to fish.

Last edited:

Vyse

Finished Hogwarts yesterday and jumping into Ishin. Up to the second chapter and loving it so far.

adamsapple

Yes Another Life is a legit money-making method. It can become very profitable, but you have to keep investing in Virtue upgrades, level up the farm and harvest a lot of different plants. After that you can start making at least several Ryo from each short visit to the farm (selling fruits and vegetables is the quickest way).
I'm only disappointed there wasn't a bigger conclusing to Haruka's story. I wished for something more than a short conversation. I would also add a pond or river/sea access to the farm instead of having to return to Kyo to fish.

Yeah, would have been nice if Haruka had more involvement in things outside the farm.

The scenes with her for reaching the relationship milestones are adorable.

For others who are going for the 100% completion, I made a short guide/playthrough of the Asura difficulty Courtesan Game Sensual Healing. Hope it helps!

Anyone who had concerns that they wouldn't make the game as wacky since it's set in a more serious era, rest assured. All the RGG zaniness is present and accounted for.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

True, Another Life just kind of ends. You never need to pay the debt, but if you do you get a short scene and a trophy I think.

And Holy shit they did it!!

Pledge of Demon plays against Ito, which uses the likeness of my boi Kuze. Ito isn't nearly as bad ass, he's a fucking weasel, but I was glad the theme played anyway. The ending was okay, but I hated the typical dragged out monologue against Yodo. And ofcourse, Takechi gets forgiven.

I was also constantly thinking Toshi is based on Mine, I looked it up and he is.

I think if you played Y0 onward, you can pretty much guess everyone's roles by their faces alone.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Started the game and I'm currently at chapter 2. Story seems damn interesting, but I'm struggling to keep track of the character's new names. Akiyama for me is still Akiyama :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Combat is not Lost Judgment tier, but I like it. The 1 on 1 sword fights are cool, but the gun + sword style is busted.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beat the game! Side content was hit and miss for me, didn't really enjoyed the friendship ones. Main story was kino tho, and overall I enjoyed this game a lot, but I wouldn't put it among the best which for me are 5, 0 and Lost Judgment.

NanaMiku

It's coming back in RGG8!
Really? Nice!!!
Happy Way To Go GIF by SEGA

Nankatsu

Please tell me there's a fast evade mechanic for swordsman down the road. I prefer to play with swordman style rather wild style but damn, the evade mechanic in swordsman is so fucking slow in comparison.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Holy fuck Saejima's theme went from okay to a banger when going from 4 to Ishin, damn.

adamsapple

Please tell me there's a fast evade mechanic for swordsman down the road. I prefer to play with swordman style rather wild style but damn, the evade mechanic in swordsman is so fucking slow in comparison.

No, but there are skills to improve the dodging in Wild Dancer tho, lol. Probably not what you wanted to read I guess.

adamsapple

They got me first time with that karaoke song.

I started laughing at how sneaky they were by using real women and completely missed most notes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It completely caught me by surprise lol, I didn't keep track of enough pre-release material stuff to know that they had real FMV women in there.

Nankatsu

Why isn't the roll dodge permanent in swordman style? I mean, sometimes I managed to dodge roll but it doesn't work like previous Yakuza games. Feels so damn weird.

NanaMiku

Why isn't the roll dodge permanent in swordman style? I mean, sometimes I managed to dodge roll but it doesn't work like previous Yakuza games. Feels so damn weird.
I'm not sure about this, but is it possible the dodge roll in swordman style is the same as brawler? you need to press evade twice to dodge roll

TwinB242

Im about 35 hours in and while its a solid game I wouldn't say its among my favorites in the series. I feel like there's too many mini games and content in general focused around the combat. You've got the

-Scarecrow Chateau
-The Arena
-The Bounties
-The Trooper Dungeons (these are mind numbingly repetitive)

On top of all the standard combat encounters you'd normally get into. This is also not helped by the fact that the combat progression seems incredibly slow? I feel like by now in most of the other games I would have unlocked most of the skills for each of the combat styles. But here Im barely half way through any of the skill trees. Also I'd go as far as to say that there's really only 3 styles because the Brawler is so weak you're putting yourself at a huge advantage by using it.

So yeah with the questionable design choices I think this is a solid 8/10 game but definitely not on the level of recent entries like Y7 or Lost Judgement.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Im about 35 hours in and while its a solid game I wouldn't say its among my favorites in the series. I feel like there's too many mini games and content in general focused around the combat. You've got the

-Scarecrow Chateau
-The Arena
-The Bounties
-The Trooper Dungeons (these are mind numbingly repetitive)

On top of all the standard combat encounters you'd normally get into. This is also not helped by the fact that the combat progression seems incredibly slow? I feel like by now in most of the other games I would have unlocked most of the skills for each of the combat styles. But here Im barely half way through any of the skill trees. Also I'd go as far as to say that there's really only 3 styles because the Brawler is so weak you're putting yourself at a huge advantage by using it.

So yeah with the questionable design choices I think this is a solid 8/10 game but definitely not on the level of recent entries like Y7 or Lost Judgement.

To the point of combat, I actually appreciated how fast the random fights can do. With a decently leveled up Swordfighter style, I was mopping up regular mobs in single digit seconds.

My way of playing is probably different than most folks but I completely min-maxed the sword fighting style from the start, which led me to other complications when doing things like Komaki's hand to hand training, but it made basically any fight which didn't force a specific style, a cake-walk.

Nankatsu

The game has it's charm, specially considering the setting, and I'm digging it, but damn, Lost Judgment combat really is peak RGG combat and makes it hard to truly embrace the combat in Ishin, at least for me.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Man the cucumber and perfurme side quest are damn funny. Typical Yakuza nonsense and I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG
Top Bottom