• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 3: Rules, current draft positions and more inside!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sorry Fifty,but I couldnt go with the f-ing Bills after that last game against you.

I hope no one wants the team I picked :lol I'm bringing it back season 1 style.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Signed in as the Panthers. What is the rule on subbing injured players like He Hate Me and Stephen Davis?

Mrbob

Nah, it's ok. Dskillz gets to pick before me anyway.

I should grab the Pats while I still can...!

I'm going the AFC route for season 3!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Mrbob said:
Nah, it's ok. Dskillz gets to pick before me anyway.

I should grab the Pats while I still can...!

I'm going the AFC route for season 3!

:lol You take the Pats and we all tar and feather you.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wait wait, the draft orders haven't even been finalized yet.

Matrix, can you PM me what team you are taking? I need to know if it's the Falcons since they are my second choice.

It's alright if someone legitimately ahead of me in draft order takes the Pats. That's fair and square. I could still use the Falcons or the Vikes anyhow. I still dunno about the Iggles.

Edit - Bob and I have tied records and he beat me head to head. It would not be fair if he took the Pats first. :|

Slo

no cheetos ladies! that means no double post routes, no manual CB/LB blitzing, no double safety bluff blitzes! if you dont know what the above are, ask for clarification

Ok, so about the "double post routes": I assume that this is *supposed* to mean flag routes from slot receivers? I thought that was what all the bitching has been about, right? Or does this mean that I can't have both a slot receiver and an outside receiver run inside post patterns? What's so hard to stop about inside post patterns? Why is that cheese? For one, in routes run receivers into the heart of the defense so throwing to those receivers means throwing into a lot of traffic. And for two, those types of patterns are usually just run-off routes for a TE underneath or an RB out of the backfield.

Also, we're not allowed to manually move the DE further to the outside to get a better angle on the tackle. Is that correct?

Shadax

Banned
Slo said:
Ok, so about the "double post routes": I assume that this is *supposed* to mean flag routes from slot receivers? I thought that was what all the bitching has been about, right? Or does this mean that I can't have both a slot receiver and an outside receiver run inside post patterns? What's so hard to stop about inside post patterns? Why is that cheese? For one, in routes run receivers into the heart of the defense so throwing to those receivers means throwing into a lot of traffic. And for two, those types of patterns are usually just run-off routes for a TE underneath or an RB out of the backfield.

Also, we're not allowed to manually move the DE further to the outside to get a better angle on the tackle. Is that correct?

IIRC manual movement of the DE is allowed, just no LB/CB movement to blitz. I just use d-line spreads and line crashes and leave my selection icon on a lineman until the snap, but others prefer to move the DE over to get easy pressure.

I agree on the double inside (or outside, or cross) post plays... I don't understand why this is considered a money play. The Redskins playbook has several plays in 2 formations designed with slot receivers as main receivers of inside post passes....am I supposed to not call these plays?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shadax said:
IIRC manual movement of the DE is allowed, just no LB/CB movement to blitz. I just use d-line spreads and line crashes and leave my selection icon on a lineman until the snap, but others prefer to move the DE over to get easy pressure.

I agree on the double inside (or outside, or cross) post plays... I don't understand why this is considered a money play. The Redskins playbook has several plays in 2 formations designed with slot receivers as main receivers of inside post passes....am I supposed to not call these plays?

No, you cannot continue to move the dlineman further out after the spread, or up off the line, which is what I think is meant. Moving one guy further inside should be fine, since the AI will still be able to pick up on him.

Shadax

Banned
Wellington said:
No, you cannot continue to move the dlineman further out after the spread, or up off the line, which is what I think is meant. Moving one guy further inside should be fine, since the AI will still be able to pick up on him.

Ah, OK then, thanks. Are Slo and I the only ones that feel that double inside posts aren't cheese?

Ramirez

I really don't know what play he's talking about...Corner Routes with Slot WRs are what I consider cheesy,but only if you call them all game long,one here or there I don't mind.But like I said Bob was able to come back from like a 21 point defecit because Dan Looker and Kevin Curtis are the gods of running corner routes into double coverage! ;)

Mrbob

Wooo hahahahaha.

You better be ready for our playoff game. I've become much more effective at throwing to holt and bruce. :)

dskillzhtown

Fifty said:
I don't think there is a rule for subbing in injured players. I thought Bob was taking the Panthers :O

Sorry Bob. But it seems like you came out better anyway.

Slo

Ramirez said:
Corner Routes with Slot WRs are what I consider cheesy,but only if you call them all game long,one here or there I don't mind.

I like this. I really dislike the idea of eliminating the route altogether. That basically means that the defense doesn't have to cover that part of the field. Hell, there are certain zones that cover everywhere BUT the deep sidelines (corners play the flats, backers stay in the middle, the sidelines are wide open in front of the safeties). Why not just sit in those zones all game if any play that's not handled by your coverage is illegal?

The route IS very hard for the AI to cover in man to man situations, but it is stopable with certains zones, especially via ninja linebackers. But then again it's also hard to stop Moss on the fly route and Vick on the bootleg, should we completely ban those things too? The problem is not use, it's abuse. And completely eliminating those plays gives the defense an unfair advantage imo.

dskillzhtown

I think the problem was that there was abuse going on when the play was legal. CK had that play down perfect, didn't abuse it, but that play was a guaranteed 25-yard gain, atleast. I would rather not have that play back in the league.

Fifty

The play is stoppable, but it requires a deep zone that is really bad against most other routes. It works even with 3 WRs. Hell, even with 2. As long as 2 guys are on one side, the outside WR distracts the corner(s) and the inside guy runs a flag or a post to the outside. It almost always works, and it's really annoying. I'll call a play, without knowing that route is in there, but I'll see it open and have to decide if I want to exploit the game, or get a 4th down :(

Shadax

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
I think the problem was that there was abuse going on when the play was legal. CK had that play down perfect, didn't abuse it, but that play was a guaranteed 25-yard gain, atleast. I would rather not have that play back in the league.

I'm sorry, but NO play in Madden is guaranteed. I've called Shotgun-Normal-"Corner Threat" dozens of times: Royal goes out on a long corner to the outside, and I've had it INTed or tipped more times than I can count. I've also had Slot WR plays cross over the middle and be INTed or tipped plenty of times. If FMT says, "You can't call *this* specific play in a playbook, I'll abide by it, but I need something more to go on than just "corner routes and slot WR posts are cheese." If I call a close game 3rd down formation/play completely different than those two plays, but due to coverage and bump and run my guys end up running one of those patterns and I complete a wide open pass to them, I don't want to have to argue about the outcome of a game over that in here. FMT, if you could give some more specificity here I'd really appreciate it.

Fifty

It's an odd situation, because the play is such a basic one, therefore it's hard to flat out BAN, because everyone is bound to use it. It's just frustrating that the corner's reaction time is too slow to cover it. Anyway, I've played over 150 games of 2005, and I can't recall that play ever being the game-deciding play. So just don't exploit it. If you guys see someone running it all the time, then we've got a problem. As it stands it's an above average play that is much harder to stop than the average route.

dskillzhtown

This is Mig's rendition of the play and variations in question:

4wide.jpg

Fifty

Yes, and it works the same if just one side of the QB is set up like that. You can call it double posts if you want, but I've seen it work just as often in a 2 or 3 WR set. But yeah, that's it :p

Shadax

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
This is Mig's rendition of the play and variations in question:

4wide.jpg

Yep, that's the Redskins Shotgun Normal (3 WR I believe) "Corner Threat" play exactly. Wellie and FMT can attest to the fact that they've shut me down many times on this play, without much trouble. I really disagree with anyone who says this play is "guaranteed for 25 yards." But if this is the play that can't be called, then I won't call it at all. If it's a "misuse/abuse" issue, then what's the rule? I can't call it on 3rd down at all? Or if it nets me a TD that TD has to be called back?

the only thing that is banned are 4 wide plays where both of the slot receivers run for the sideline. you can call 3-wide with the slot heading to the sideline on that outside post, fine. but when its 2 people it is a bitch to cover because you can only manually cover one of them.

if you see migs diagram play up there in your playbook, just dont use it. simple as that. other than that, play ball

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Nice, I picked the Pats. :D Everyone else pick whoever you want. AFC EAST POWAH.

Also, I've been involved in games where the player called double out posts EVERY TIME. I only stopped it by manually defending it... and then he rolled out to the other side, ugh.

Only Q now is, should I use the Pats playbook, or the Giants one, which I am more familiar with..? Doesn't matter, they'd execute either way. :D

everything is looking good so far, we have 12/18 people signed in. those who haven't signed in are as follows:

1. bog
2. maverick
3. rors
4. slo
5. gunstar
6. hgplayer

sign in at your leisure friends, we wont start season 3 until season 2 playoffs are done anyways.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I just wanted to note that the Lions are crazy good in the hands of a good player. I didn't want to consider them since Ramirez said he would likely take them earlier.

The Bungals are better, I think. ;) The two Johnsons, and TJ Housh.

Slo

I'm eagerly waiting to sign in, but I thought we were going in order. That all seems to have gone to shit though. So should I sign up or not?

dskillzhtown

Slo said:
I'm eagerly waiting to sign in, but I thought we were going in order. That all seems to have gone to shit though. So should I sign up or not?

Yeah, sign up dude

well i said it was up to you if you wanted to sign in, but that if someone who was scheduled to draft ahead of you wanted "your" team, then you would have to sign out and sign back in again.

so go ahead and sign in

Fifty

11588402.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you to the unveiling of Fifty's new team. An epic reunion cast down from the heavens by the Gods...a masterpiece of pure physical brutality.

Starring Ray Lewis

RayLewis1.jpg

Special appearances by

Slash

kordell.jpg

atlas4.jpg

gemini9.jpg

nitro.jpg

tower6.jpg

And of course...

malibu3.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Damn what to do... I wanted the Broncos initially for their insane running game... but I like the Bills for their ridonkulous defense. Only thing that is swaying me right now is what I was able to do with the fuckin Giant's O. Anything just slightly better than that would be a humungous upgrade.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shadax said:
CK went with the Bills? Shocking! :O

I was bluffing the whole time with the Pats so that none of you f00s would take the Broncos. Then Fifty did (Even though he still could end up with a better record than mine). Then I chose the Bills and decided to keep them for reasons which I do not care to divulge.

Fifty

Wellington said:
I was bluffing the whole time with the Pats so that none of you f00s would take the Broncos. Then Fifty did (Even though he still could end up with a better record than mine). Then I chose the Bills and decided to keep them for reasons which I do not care to divulge.

I'd probably have backed down from the Broncs if I knew they were your #1 choice, but you had to pull that Patriot Act. :lol

Top Bottom