• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/3 - 9/9 2007

Jokeropia

Haleon said:
I've been out of the loop on MC threads for a good long while. What happened to Wii sales? Back when I was following MC, they would average high 50s to low 60s every week. Now they are sub 30s? Any particular reason? Diverting shipments to the US?
Note that pretty much all systems are down 50% or more compared to about a month ago. It seems we're just in a very slow period at the moment.

Izzy

Banned
Oh let me add just few more things:

350k sold on day one is the new record for the handheld Final Fantasy game.

So, Crisis Core is the new record holder - not too shabby for a mere spin-off.

Next week is going to be huge for Crisis Core as well - new Slim launch is going to give it a nice push. Especially if something I heard about the amount of units ready for re-launch comes true.

Oh, and for something Pokemon related - first shipment was allegedly 1m.

Izzy

Banned
jarrod said:
To be fair, they're all ports, remakes or mere spin-offs. :lol

But not for long. Handhelds are becoming so much more popular than consoles in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me to see FFVII-2 for PSP, or FFXIV for DS' successor. :lol

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Does that number include bundles?

Edit: I wonder if we will start receiving PSP-Slim(PSPS) numbers seperate from PSP-Phat(hereby PSPP), like DS/DSL?

Laguna

Banned
My bad. But I´m sure that by CCFFVII announcement no one thought that a game like MH2p would trounce it - atleast for it´s first day. Everyone knows how frontloaded FF sales are. FF7CC did well so far but it is far under prior (2004/2005/2006) expectations even for it´s first day and no where near it´s tacked on savior status.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Laguna said:
My bad. But I´m sure that by CCFFVII announcement no one thought that a game like MH2p would trounce it - atleast for it´s first day. Everyone knows how frontloaded FF sales are. FF7CC did well so far but it is far under prior (2004/2005/2006) expectations even for it´s first day and no where near it´s tacked on savior status.
There could be a variety of reasons for that.

The best being that a new PSP model is launching next week that people might want to buy the game with.

Laguna

Banned
Sage00 said:
There could be a variety of reasons for that.

The best being that a new PSP model is launching next week that people might want to buy the game with.

For sure there will be people waiting for next weeks PSPslim edition release but there is the possibility that most FFfans who are that crazy willing to buy a new system especially for this game are going to buy the special edition. I know it´s limited but it seems that it didn´t sell out it´s first day. And of course there are also fans - already owning the system.

jarrod

Banned
More appropriately, how well did the other FF7 titles do first day? Crisis Core obviously seems like more effort was put into it, but it's also on a far less popular platform (versus PS2 or DVD).

Laguna

Banned
Crazy fanboys for instance :)
I remember old debates all to well. How CCFFVII would lead the PSP to the top - stuff like that. or Tabris turning tights and so on :lol:

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Did we ever get a first day number for Dirge? I remember it sold about 400k in the first week.

ziran

Izzy said:
But not for long. Handhelds are becoming so much more popular than consoles in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me to see FFVII-2 for PSP, or FFXIV for DS' successor. :lol
I agree to an extent, in the sense more people are buying handheld games on DS than ever before, matching home console levels, but PSP sw sales are still terrible and have been since launch.

People are buying more handheld hw than ever before, but it's not necessarily for original games. With the gulf in sw sales and development costs between PSP and DS, I don't think the future is particularly bright for Sony's handheld and most Japanese 3rd parties.

It is unfortunate to see such a previously dominant manufacture decline to such a level they have no new(ish) systems selling anything like healthy amounts of sw, but Sony really has brought it on themselves.

Laguna said:
Are there really people aside from tabris who think that PSP can somehow turn it around? And in Japan no less? Even if it does end up doing a million or more it won't help the cause of "saving" the PSP. Hardware's still doing good numbers but PSP won't overtake DS because of CC in the long run, just as CC won't help drive other software sales.

Laguna

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Are there really people aside from tabris who think that PSP can somehow turn it around? And in Japan no less? Even if it does end up doing a million or more it won't help the cause of "saving" the PSP. Hardware's still doing good numbers but PSP won't overtake DS because of CC in the long run, just as CC won't help drive other software sales.

My statement was based on expectations in the past. The only reason I mentioned Tabris was that even now there are some lunatics in the world that think otherwise and his recent posts were just too over the top. Thanks to common sense the number of people thinking that way is getting smaller and smaller day by day.

Defuser

Laguna said:
My statement was based on expectations in the past. The only reason I mentioned Tabris was that even now there are some lunatics in the world that think otherwise and his recent posts were just too over the top. Thanks to common sense the number of people thinking that way is getting smaller and smaller day by day.
Don't tell me you actually take Tabris seriously :lol

Laguna

Banned
I know, here in the forum are people well known for their ironic posts - Tabris most likely is not one of them. I say it with other words, he´s SDF Kafka ;)

botticus

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but apparently Play-Asia and YesAsia have the Crisis Core PSP in stock. So it looks like they may have only sold about 77,700 of them.

Edit: Just noticed the post on last page that said 60k bundles sold first day. So I guess they're still out there.

Tabris is a strange beast. He knows that the things he says are sometimes out there, and he plays it up because of that. At his core though, he does believe what he's saying.

I absolutely adore him. He is my sweet prince, though our love is forbidden. ~~<3

tanod

when is my burrito
botticus said:
Not sure if anyone has noticed, but apparently Play-Asia and YesAsia have the Crisis Core PSP in stock. So it looks like they may have only sold about 77,700 of them.

Edit: Just noticed the post on last page that said 60k bundles sold first day. So I guess they're still out there.

Apparently on Amazon.co.jp, there is a guy who purchased over a 1,000 copies of the LE bundle and is scalping it for 49980 yen. There was a thread about it earlier today but I don't know if other sales-agers caught it.

Saitou

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Tabris is a strange beast. He knows that the things he says are sometimes out there, and he plays it up because of that. At his core though, he does believe what he's saying.

I absolutely adore him. He is my sweet prince, though our love is forbidden. ~~<3
You are dead to me.

1-D_FTW

DeaconKnowledge said:
So is there any explanation for the (comparatively) low Wii sales yet?

Lack of NEW compelling software. Kobun's blog (He's in Japan for TGS) stated Wiis are readily available.... so it's not a supply thing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So with the release of Crisis Core, does the psp have a chance at being the number one seller? It will most likely beat the Wii but can it beat the DS?

Windu said:
So with the release of Crisis Core, does the psp have a chance at being the number one seller? It will most likely beat the Wii but can it beat the DS?
I'd say it has a good shot. Crisis Core + a weaker than usual DS.

Jokeropia

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah, but why? Is there any empirical evidence that points to something like this in years past?
Well apart from school starting again I don't know why sales are down but it's not like there needs to be an explanation for Wii in particular. (Apart perhaps from no significant releases in a while.) Maybe the market just needs a breather, 2007 is still by far the biggest year on record and even in weekly sales it's well above every year but 2006 for this period.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Moor-Angol said:
Pokemon will help DS sales...

I personally don't think that a spin off like Mistery Dungeon 2 can drive DS' sales at this point in the console's life as any pokemon fan out there has already bought a DS for diamond/pearl: the fews that didn't get one are unlikely to do it now for a spin off (as great as it may turn out to be).

jjgames

Jokeropia said:
Well apart from school starting again I don't know why sales are down but it's not like there needs to be an explanation for Wii in particular. (Apart perhaps from no significant releases in a while.) Maybe the market just needs a breather, 2007 is still by far the biggest year on record and even in weekly sales it's well above every year but 2006 for this period.

According to joshuaslone's graphs (above), every year but 2006 the consoles sales start dropping around the beginning of Sept in Japan. It isn't too much of a surprise that sales would be dropping now too. For Wii and for everything else.

mclem

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah, but why? Is there any empirical evidence that points to something like this in years past?
I reckon this is simply the usual summer sales lull, which for most of the summer has been masked by the Wii *still* dealing with launch demand. Now the launch demand is finally out of the way, the weekly sales for a gentle summer look to be about 30k.

apujanata

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd say it has a good shot. Crisis Core + a weaker than usual DS.

Nintendo should release Crimson/Black last week, to counter PSP Slim + Crisis Core. If Crisis Core + PSP Slim can not even get above DSL No New Color + Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, then PSP is "dead".

sphinx

the piano man
apujanata said:
.... then PSP is "dead".

:lol I think the PSP is beyond that point. I'd say is the best example of an "undead" console, it's been long dead but it still goes on.

You can only kill it with fire or casting cure on it. :lol

The PSP's place in the market has settled by now, I'd say. It will never, ever, ever be market leader or even really compete with the DS, but it has carved out a pretty strong userbase for itself. Its major titles sell decently well, but the problem is (and has been for a while) that anything other than the major titles sell like super ca-ca. It's Gamecubesque (cough, Wii-esque, cough) in that respect.

Top Bottom