• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 9/3 - 9/9 2007

stolin

davepoobond said:
30k wii wtf?

shortages or...?

With two consecutive 400,000+ month for Wii in the US (also big months in Canada) I think it's obvious where the stock is heading lately. Build up that user base BEFORE Christmas and and not during it.

Sharp

There are no shortages dudes. "Back to school" or no, another week with this kind of drop would be pretty telling for Nintendo. I guess five million without games was too much to hope for.

Those are seriously low numbers but this will make for an interesting next week.

toxk_02 said:
Huh.

I guess the "victory" is over and the tide has indeed turned.
The gap is narrowing!

The sudden influx of retarded posters - merely a coincidence?

Lobster

Banned
Nintendo just isn't feeding Japan lately...wheres all the training games?? Its like they just called it off for 07 and said to wait till 08..

Sharp

Phife Dawg said:
Those are seriously low numbers but this will make for an interesting next week.

The gap is narrowing!

The sudden influx of retarded posters - merely a coincidence?
Is Mystery Dungeon coming out next week and will that actually sell DSes? I can't imagine there are that many Pokémon lovers without them at this point. So I think PSP > DS. Will be quite fun.

Evlar

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
So it looks inevitable that PSP will top the charts next week. When was the last time PSP has topped the sales charts for a week?
Just a normal DS week will probably stay ahead of PSP. The question is whether DS can produce a normal week right now.

mutsu

Lobster said:
Nintendo just isn't feeding Japan lately...wheres all the training games?? Its like they just called it off for 07 and said to wait till 08..

They just had Face Training... they are still coming.

As for Brain Training, Dr Kawashima said that he is not going to be doing anymore of them... at least not in the near future.

stolin said:
With two consecutive 400,000+ month for Wii in the US (also big months in Canada) I think it's obvious where the stock is heading lately. Build up that user base BEFORE Christmas and and not during it.
Even if Wii were sold out in Japan, I don't think a dip in Japanese sales starting late August makes for an adequate explanation of big US supply during the July 8 - September 1 period.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sharp said:
Is Mystery Dungeon coming out next week and will that actually sell DSes? I can't imagine there are that many Pokémon lovers without them at this point. So I think PSP > DS. Will be quite fun.

Don't you know? Whenever a Japanese buys a DS game, they buy an extra DS Lite.

Lobster

Banned
mutsu said:
They just had Face Training... they are still coming.

As for Brain Training, Dr Kawashima said that he is not going to be doing anymore of them... at least not in the near future.

Face Training wasn't the big success it was supposed to be though. I guess DS has settled down now after selling Ps2s LTD.

Wii needs more games..now.

Sharp

DS is still selling incredibly well, regardless of whether it hit PS2 LTD or not. By the time PS2 had hit 20 million it was selling... I think about 20k per week? DS is a monster, it's just not selling out like it used to. Give it another few years to really "settle down."

apujanata

perfectchaos007 said:
So it looks inevitable that PSP will top the charts next week. When was the last time PSP has topped the sales charts for a week?

Well, it is 2006, Jan 02-08. PSP was 132,757, while DS was 91,379 and PS2 is 80,886. DS was in shortage at that time, because of the incredible christmas 2005 weeks ( 408,770in the "before christmas week" and 597,628 in the "christmas week", and 390,181 in the "after christmas week").

Interesting tidbit : the 132,757 / week is the second highest (outside of launch week) ever week for PSP. Only Dec 19-25, 2005 has higher # : 161,332.

Izzy

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure about PSP outselling DS next week. Afterall, didn't Pokemon just launch?

What's the next big hitter for Wii in JP?

Izzy said:
I wouldn't be so sure about PSP outselling DS next week. Afterall, didn't Pokemon just launch?

If D/P wasn't a system seller for pokemon fans, I don't think the new dungeon game would be.

AniHawk

Izzy said:

Maybe Mario Strikers. The release list is pretty empty from the 20th through the 25th of October. The week after that, the Japanese start getting the heavy hitters in pretty rapid succession.

Lobster

Banned
Izzy said:

Next big hitters for Wii in JP are Mario Galaxy, NiGHTS and Brawl. Mario Galaxy next month. NiGHTS and Brawl in december.

edit:forgot about strikers..lets see how that goes.

Izzy

Banned
Thanks Lobster and Anihawk.

I think NIGHTS could be big, the first one sold pretty well on Saturn back in the day.

I'm really not sure about Strikers, though.

AniHawk

Izzy said:
Thanks Lobster and Anihawk.

I think NIGHTS could be big, the first one sold pretty well on Saturn back in the day.

I'm really not sure about Strikers, though.

I think NiGHTS is going to see a delay. It looks like it REALLY needs one. Also, the Saturn was a lot kinder to real games than the Wii is. ...Also, NiGHTS was a first party title on Sega's most successful system. Now it's a third-party title on Nintendo's most successful system (in a while).

test_account

XP-39C²
stolin said:

I dont think stocks were moved to the US. Maybe a small part, but not big enough to affect the japanese sales this big. Here are the average weekly sales for Wii in Japan:

June = 67.387
July = 106.562
August = 61.709

Then check the NPD numbers for Wii:

June = 381.8k
July = 425k
August = 403.6k

Eventho Wii sold 425k in July in USA, the sales in Japan was still damn strong. If they moved stocks in a large quantity i dont see how the Japanese sales could be that great.

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think NiGHTS is going to see a delay. It looks like it REALLY needs one. Also, the Saturn was a lot kinder to real games than the Wii is. ...Also, NiGHTS was a first party title on Sega's most successful system. Now it's a third-party title on Nintendo's most successful system (in a while).

Nights was confirmed today to launch on December 13 in Japan.

What the hell happened to DS and Wii in Japan (And indeed the entire industry in Japan!) it's like the whole thing's collapsing in on itself, just how Nintendo predicted (Except that they're stuck in the car compactor along with everyone else!)

Serious alarm bells better be ringing in Nintendo HQ, because the PSP is getting dangerously close to the Wii!!!

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
next week expect HUGE psp numbers. all 77,777 limited edition ff7:CC psp's sold out in one day. add that to the usual 15-25k, and the release of ff7, expect 100k+ psp's. It might actually outsell the DS for a week.

As for the wii, for the last time, it's not because shipping diversions. I just got a wii on sunday at bic camera, and they had PLENTY in stock. It's school time, kids aren't getting the system in droves like before. Also, no big games have come for a while. The line up is a bit too kiddie imho, thus the adults who would buy the wii are waiting for the more hardcore and *insert* training game. Anecdotal evidence ftl, but when I was in bic, getting my wii, all i saw were moms with their kids looking at the wii and its software.

Anyone think Sony will drop PS3's price and introduce the 80gig after TGS?

marc^o^ said:
Japan is facing a serious political crisis, which *could* have repercussions on consumption.

I highly doubt that .Japanese people won't say:"Oh Shinzo Abe retired,don't go out and buy a Wii!" Maybe if they had a lobotomy ... but anything else .

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Izzy said:
Oh dear, looks like my Crisis Core first week prediction is way off.

what was your prediction? I'm guessing 400k first week. And please, if the numbers are low, don't blame low shipments, there are TONS of copies. I'm guessing they shipped close to a mil.

Top Bottom