• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Shadders

What are the chances that the service is overloaded on day 1 like sim city?
If the servers have problems does that mean nobody can play games?

I'm not sure how these things work. :(

I imagine they'll cope with day 1, as the install base will be so low, but a year on and the first Halo or CoD launch they'll probably go pop.

Quentyn

lol people are sending nasty mails to Game Informer.

BkCTdvi.png

watership

Internet: WTF! FIX THIS MICROSOFT! YOU CUNTS!
Microsoft: HOLY FUCK! WE HAVEN'T ANNOUNCED A SINGLE FUCKING THING! WTF ADAM!?

How keeping quiet, for once, is fucking over MS.

Arthur's passive aggressive innate Microsoft defense tweets are so predictable now, they are almost cute. I enjoy them with my morning coffee.

Demon Ice

Banned
It's like saying that a recipe calls for tofu and you instantly pissing on it because you hate the very idea of tofu even though you don't know what else is in the dish and why it calls for tofu..

My god. They never should have dropped analogies from the SAT. That's just bad. Good lord.

Good god, every time I come back, there's a few more pages.

Serious discussion, though: I don't know whether Microsoft will or won't do this, but I'm having a difficult time understand why they would do it.

The only two reasons I can think of to require a console to be always online are 1) to fight piracy, and 2) to stop used game sales. As far as I know, piracy hasn't been much of a problem for the 360, so I assume they wouldn't require a system to be online for that. Which leaves used games. Theoretically, used games hurt both the people making the games and the console manufacturer (I don't necessarily agree - hence "theoretically"), so the reasoning would be that stopping used sales would earn Microsoft more money and would keep publishers happier, and they'd be more likely to do more exclusives for Microsoft.

The problem, though, is that publishers go where the largest audience is - look at the Vita and WiiU. By requiring an online connection, Microsoft would be immediately excluding a significant portion of the population from buying the system. Maybe they wouldn't have bought one anyway, but now you're ensuring they won't. Also, you're excluding people who won't buy the console on principle, which may or may not be a significant portion of the population. Lastly, if your console doesn't allow used games and Sony's does, that will definitely be a selling point for Sony, and while Sony probably wouldn't brag about it out of fear of angering publishers, the word would get out in social media, so people that purchase a lot of used games would be excluded. Also GameStop would probably advertise the hell out of the PS4 and not the Durango.

So, I come back to my original question: why would Microsoft do it? Are they really willing to gamble on publishers backing them exclusively and on people feeling loyalty to Xbox as a gaming platform?

I'll go ahead and throw my internet situation onto the pile.

I have HughesNet, which for those of you who don't know, is basically broadband delivered via satellite.

We recently upgraded our equipment and plan (at the cost of hundreds of dollars and a new 2-year contract), and here's what we have now:

- Monthly Data Cap of 10 GB. This amounts to about 300 MB per day. The allowance drains with every click and stream, and resets at the beginning of every month.

- Max download speeds of 15 Mbps. Tested myself and have found the average to be between 6-9 Mbps.

- Frequent connection losses due to the unstable nature of satellite technology in a rural area with many obstructions (weather, landscape, etc.)

We pay $65 per month for this. Just before we upgraded, we were paying the same thing for MAX SPEEDS OF 1 MBPS AND DAILY CAPS OF 250 MB.

This, and services that are literally identical, are our only options. The connections are not conducive to games consoles. They are slow, inconsistent, and restricted in terms of bandwidth.

How goddamn hard is it for people to realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations. This is the reality of our world. Not everyone is always connected.

People. Come on.

Why would you live there?

god damnit its too bad apple just beat ms for the worst company in america on the consumerist, before this news went live.

I don't think internet rumors and one jackass tweeting is cause for putting them at the top, that would make The Consumerist look silly.

They can put them at the top of the list if they actually acknowledge or ship an online-only console.

UberTag

ibvNIqDS8dzT91.jpg

No way this guy isn't on MS's payroll.

This is amazing.
For his sake, I hope he IS on MS's payroll. He seems to really hate his current job being a review monkey at Polygon.

Don't see why Polygon doesn't just cut him loose so Arthur is free to spread his wings and be free to take on that Microsoft/EA job he so desperately covets.
They're obviously holding him back. The poor guy is clearly miserable.

Perhaps he can land Andy's old job.

I guess I am don't see an issue with this until I know the whole story with the next Xbox.

It's like saying that a recipe calls for tofu and you instantly pissing on it because you hate the very idea of tofu even though you don't know what else is in the dish and why it calls for tofu.

Maybe people should withhold judgment until the Xbox is presented. Microsoft is moving towards a software as a service company and we are viewing this through the traditional lens of $60 game discs. Maybe that isn't what they have in mind.

So did Adam come to you for the analogies or did you just happily suggest them?

DaBuddaDa

I think the number one thing the young men at Polygon need to learn is perception is reality, and there is only so much you can do to change that.

Crawl

I don't think internet rumors and one jackass tweeting is cause for putting them at the top, that would make The Consumerist look silly.

They can put them at the top of the list if they actually acknowledge or ship an online-only console.

Come on man EA won last year!

Globox_82

Banned
Yeah, I think people are kind of misreading what he means there. He's not an arrogant idiot-- he's just saying vote with your wallet. Don't like what Microsoft has planned for you? Support the other guy. That hurts them infinitely more than vulgar words on the internet will.

it's the way he wrote it. Was "so what?" necessary? No! Guy is pretentious and annoying.
He will buy nextbox no matter what. While the rest of us "special kids" can go and buy That other system...for special outdated people...

I was really interested, and still am, in the next XBox but the arrogance of those tweets really have made me start leaning towards the PS4. Just have to wait and see but does it seem like Microsoft has the same 'high' opinion of themselves like Sony had when making the PS3?

<NeoGAF posters> If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, I won't buy it! I'll buy a PS4.
<Arthur Gies> If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, don't buy it. Buy a PS4.
<NeoGAF posters> What a condescending jackass.

Fun true facts: You can make an obvious choice like the above and still care about the issue and its impact on the industry, and find it worth discussing.

One would think this especially applies to alleged video game journalists.

Game Guru

Agreed. This always online thing had to have the support of major third party publishers, and cutting the requirement could damage that relationship.

What are major third-parties going to do if Microsoft did that? Sony and Nintendo are not going with always online for their systems. There is no other choice where publishers can get always online as far as consoles are concerned.

Czigga

For his sake, I hope he IS on MS's payroll. He seems to really hate his current job being a review monkey at Polygon.

Don't see why Polygon doesn't just cut him loose so Arthur is free to spread his wings and be free to take on that Microsoft/EA job he so desperately covets.
They're obviously holding him back. The poor guy is clearly miserable.

At this point I feel like no big corps he would want a job at would touch him with a 10-foot pole. He's lost all credibility among the gaming masses.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well now I have another reason to not get a nextbox.

I don't like supporting people like that guy. He is making really bad assumptions that are not consumer friendly at all. Those tweets have now become associated with my perception of Microsoft Game Studios and they will forever be anti consumer in my eyes now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What are major third-parties going to do if Microsoft did that? Sony and Nintendo are not going with always online for their systems. There is no other choice where publishers can get always online.

I didn't say they wouldn't make games for the system. It could, however, damage exclusive DLC, release dates, etc.

Yeah, I think people are kind of misreading what he means there. He's not an arrogant idiot-- he's just saying vote with your wallet. Don't like what Microsoft has planned for you? Support the other guy. That hurts them infinitely more than vulgar words on the internet will.

Indeed. I thought it was pretty clear.

it's the way he wrote it. Was "so what?" necessary? No! Guy is pretentious and annoying.
He will buy nextbox no matter what. While the rest of us "special kids" can go and buy That other system...for special outdated people...

You're reading far too much into his comments. Attributing meaning where there is none. Perhaps calm down a little?

Glad this shit is still going on. So fun.

Wonder if this mass negative response could delay the Durango in case they decide to scrap the idea (if it is true).

Good god, every time I come back, there's a few more pages.

Serious discussion, though: I don't know whether Microsoft will or won't do this, but I'm having a difficult time understand why they would do it.

The only two reasons I can think of to require a console to be always online are 1) to fight piracy, and 2) to stop used game sales. As far as I know, piracy hasn't been much of a problem for the 360, so I assume they wouldn't require a system to be online for that. Which leaves used games. Theoretically, used games hurt both the people making the games and the console manufacturer (I don't necessarily agree - hence "theoretically"), so the reasoning would be that stopping used sales would earn Microsoft more money and would keep publishers happier, and they'd be more likely to do more exclusives for Microsoft.

The problem, though, is that publishers go where the largest audience is - look at the Vita and WiiU. By requiring an online connection, Microsoft would be immediately excluding a significant portion of the population from buying the system. Maybe they wouldn't have bought one anyway, but now you're ensuring they won't. Also, you're excluding people who won't buy the console on principle, which may or may not be a significant portion of the population. Lastly, if your console doesn't allow used games and Sony's does, that will definitely be a selling point for Sony, and while Sony probably wouldn't brag about it out of fear of angering publishers, the word would get out in social media, so people that purchase a lot of used games would be excluded. Also GameStop would probably advertise the hell out of the PS4 and not the Durango.

So, I come back to my original question: why would Microsoft do it? Are they really willing to gamble on publishers backing them exclusively and on people feeling loyalty to Xbox as a gaming platform?

My thinking is additional ad revenue from targeted ads based upon what you use your xbox for, maybe processing for the kinect (like google now?), can't think of any other reasons tbh

Well now I have another reason to not get a nextbox.

I don't like supporting people like that guy. He is making really bad assumptions that are not consumer friendly at all. Those tweets have now become associated with my perception of Microsoft Game Studios and they will forever be anti consumer in my eyes now.

I'm about as pro-Sony as they come... but REALLY? You can't at least wait until the system is unveiled and the details are official?

he's getting fired for tooting the company horn. right. let's go fire that guy criticizing Facebook Home, now.

The company horn is actually "we don't comment on rumors".
Not only did he implicitly do that, he made fun of people who don't leave in cities.
Create your own private twitter if you want to be a dick online.

He and Jeff Bell will be having a beer together real soon.

jbug617

Banned
I don't get the hate for the Aegies recent tweets now. All he said don't buy Microsoft if you don't like what they are doing.

ibvNIqDS8dzT91.jpg

So basically Gies is saying #dealwithit

WHAT A SURPRISE ARTHUR GEESE.

This guy is a fucking genius. Like there haven't been a ton of us saying that that's exactly what we'll do. If he's attempting to tell us to stop discussing it on a message board, he can go fuck himself. If I want to discuss what shape and color I want Durango to be, I'll do it all day fucking long. Thanks, though.

WHAT? He is telling you to buy a PS4 if the next Xbox is online. By not buying the next Xbox you wouldn't be "dealing with it" you would be actively taking a stand.

I really don't understand the hate for Aegies. He has done nothing but quote his opinion and attempt to give information on the next Xbox (which by his own admittance knew more about than the next PS4) to consumers (us).

This is just ridiculous blind hate. You are the very definition of what it means to be a moving goal post.

Ad hominem is an ignorant way to make an argument. Rise above it.

That's not ad hominem. Rise above repeating terms you saw someone else use and didn't understand.

Top Bottom