• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

You can also build ender chests with 1 ender pearl and then you can access the contents from any other ender chest.

Also you can make an enchanting table with diamonds.

Keep in mind that the chest will be destroyed when picked up, unless you use a Silk Touch pickaxe.

Silk Touch Pickaxe + Ender Chest = Extra Inventory Space. Never leave home without it...unless you're going to the Nether.

Krilekk

Banned
Yeah I'm near that too, having trouble getting ender pearls though, killed 5 endermen and not one dropped a pearl.

I felt your pain. Took me about fifteen nights in a desert biome to get enough pearls (I needed ten). Today I finally got the last one, went to the End and ended up on a platform away from the actual End. Didn't have any blocks on me and had to kill myself. But I think as long as the Dragon lives the End is a one-way trip anyways. So only go there with a bow and arrows.

MattyG

Banned
I just built a Nether Portal. Only been in the Nether in creative, so I don't know how it works. Someone needs to prep me. What do I do there? What do I bring? What happens if I die? Any things I should avoid doing at all costs?

I just built a Nether Portal. Only been in the Nether in creative, so I don't know how it works. Someone needs to prep me. What do I do there? What do I bring? What happens if I die? Any things I should avoid doing at all costs?

Well for one thing, don't try to sleep in a bed in the Nether lol.

If your Nether Portal is fairly exposed on the dark side, you might want to build up a cobblestone wall around it otherwise it could get put out of commission by ghasts. Oh and don't hit zombie pigmen unless you feel like being swarmed.

What do I do there?
It's another realm for you to explore and fight new enemies. There are some blocks and items you can only get in the Nether.

What do I bring?
Basic iron armor/weapons, bow and arrows. Flint and Steel in case a Ghast shoots the portal and closes it.

What happens if I die?
Same thing that happens when you normally die in Minecraft.

Any things I should avoid doing at all costs?
Chances are you will die a fiery death and you don't want to make the mistake of suiting up in diamond gear before that happens (Like I did my first time ;_;). Don't attack zombie pigmen either unless you're feeling particularly brave...

What I normally do on my first Nether run is locate a fortress ASAP to get blaze rods, Nether wart and soul sand. Blaze rods are dropped by blazes and Nether wart is found growing in rooms. Once you get these things (get a couple of each) head back and start making potions. Fire resistance potions are a must on every future Nether visit. You can grow Nether wart by planting it in soul sand.

MattyG

Banned
Well for one thing, don't try to sleep in a bed in the Nether lol.

If your Nether Portal is fairly exposed on the dark side, you might want to build up a cobblestone wall around it otherwise it could get put out of commission by ghasts. Oh and don't hit zombie pigmen unless you feel like being swarmed.
By the dark side, do you mean in the Nether? What if it gets destroyed while I'm in there?

Daffy Duck

Take a Flint and steel to relight the portal if it goes out from being attacked.

I take cobblestone to encase my portal to make entry safe so I don't get attacked and also build a shelter there if you want but don't place a bed down.

Don't atrack zombie pigmen, they won't attack you.

Magma cream from magma cubes is useful for potions and blazes drop blaze rods which make the brewing stand and can be crafted into blaze powder to make other things.

You can also get nether wart which is again used for brewing.

watxh out for ghasts (big white things flying around) they are annoying as hell.

If you die you spawn back at your bed, better hurry back to get you stuff before it disappears.

GulAtiCa

Wait, you have to build a second portal when you want to go back? Doesn't a portal automatically spawn when you enter, and going through it brings you back to the one you built in the overworld?

Yeah, a portal and ground will be spawned on the other side. Also, seems that if your exit portal is damaged/things in the way, a new portal will be spawned nearby. That is what happened to me oddly.

So my main portals go like this (1 = overworld, 2 = nether). A1 -> B2. B2 -> B1. A2 is dormant and does nothing. I'll try to reactivate A2 later on and do what I did with B2 and surround it with nether brick. I luckily am right next to a nether fortress bottom side, so I gutted it a little haha

Welp, I finally gave up on pacifism, went to the nether with a diamond sword, built a cobblestone room around a blaze spawn point that happened to be near my nether portal, killed a shitton of blazes to reach level 30, enchanted my diamond sword and got looting III for it.

Now to find some Ender motherfuckers.

Noobcraft

Welp, I finally gave up on pacifism, went to the nether with a diamond sword, built a cobblestone room around a blaze spawn point that happened to be near my nether portal, killed a shitton of blazes to reach level 30, enchanted my diamond sword and got looting III for it.

Playing online? I'll help lol I just finished the Xbox one version 100% and now I want to plat the ps4 version.

*also I'm lucky. Got 4 ender pearls in a row with no enchantments

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, a portal and ground will be spawned on the other side. Also, seems that if your exit portal is damaged/things in the way, a new portal will be spawned nearby. That is what happened to me oddly.

So my main portals go like this (1 = overworld, 2 = nether). A1 -> B2. B2 -> B1. A2 is dormant and does nothing. I'll try to reactivate A2 later on and do what I did with B2 and surround it with nether brick. I luckily am right next to a nether fortress bottom side, so I gutted it a little haha
Oh ok, I think I kind of understand it now.

I still haven't gone to the Nether yet because I'm paranoid that I'll screw something up (either I'll get stuck in there somehow or will end up somewhere strange in the overworld and not be able to find my stuff).

Are diamond swords worth crafting?
Thanks for the advice!

GulAtiCa

Oh ok, I think I kind of understand it now.

I still haven't gone to the Nether yet because I'm paranoid that I'll screw something up (either I'll get stuck in there somehow or will end up somewhere strange in the overworld and not be able to find my stuff).

Be careful, the portal itself can go out on the other side if hit by the ghasts, so be sure to keep your flint and steel (used to open the portal) handy.

TouchTiltGames

Neo Member
RIP Minecraft...Minesoft? Microcraft? Of course everyone is hoping they'll stick to their word and not ruin it. The Xbox One version is great, my son loves it - still don't get why it's not as feature-packed as the PC version though.

By the dark side, do you mean in the Nether? What if it gets destroyed while I'm in there?

Yeah in the Nether. If the portal gets messed up then you have to fix it IIRC. So basically anytime I build a new Nether portal and make the transition, first thing I look at is whether the portal is safe or not.

Playing online? I'll help lol I just finished the Xbox one version 100% and now I want to plat the ps4 version.

*also I'm lucky. Got 4 ender pearls in a row with no enchantments

I'm still playing it on PS3. Seeing how annoying getting to the end is, I'm waiting until I've done that before I migrate my stuff to PS4. The 2 end trophies are the only ones I'm lacking so I'll soldier on a bit on PS3 before moving on. But thanks for the offer. I'm at 6 pearls after 2 Endermen. These guys keep fleeing.

Are diamond swords worth crafting?
I guess it depends on how much diamond you have. I'd argue a diamond pickaxe and maybe an enchanting table are more worthwhile.

That sword is very durable though.

MattyG

Banned
Oh goddamn it. I went to throw a bone or something into lava and out of my inventory to make room for the shitton of obsidian I found, thumb slipped, hit O... I was holding my diamond pickaxe.

EDIT: I just spent the last few hours exploring the MASSIVE cave system I found (it's connected to my house, actually). I finally reached a huge underground ravine with waterfalls and lava flows. I decided I'd head back the way I came, hope I didn't get lost, and lay signs along the way. Figured it would be about an hour to get back. Just as I was leaving, I noticed a waterfall that opened up into the seabed. I used the water elevator and BOOM, surfaced in a cove across the lake from my house. I built a huge pillar with torched on it to mark the spot, and plan on making it into a tube so the water can't get in and with a ladder. Can't get over how many cave systems connect in perfect ways and how many cool opportunities it opens up.

Okay, I got my Ender pearls.It turned out my awesome enchanted sword was too awesome for these guys to handle: on top of looting, the sword has a fire effect and that's what made them run away all the time. I eventually devised a strategy where I'd hit them 5-6 times with a regular sword and would only use my Sword of Awesomeness for the final blow. Got 7 pearls killing 2 of these guys. So Looting III does work wonders. You just have to hope you don't get a fire enchantment along it.

I managed to remember the fortress with the End portal in it and proceeded to open said portal. It's when I came face to face with the dragon that it hit me:

ROyWHFb.jpg

So I fumbled around, didn't make a dent, realized I didn't have on me a tenth of the resources I'd be needing and the next thing I knew, I was gloriously fleeing that epic fight to plan and regroup.

IJ9E6mm.jpg

Dragon 1 - Palette Swap 0.
Fuck you, Dragon.

Oh goddamn it. I went to throw a bone or something into lava and out of my inventory to make room for the shitton of obsidian I found, thumb slipped, hit O... I was holding my diamond pickaxe.

EDIT: I just spent the last few hours exploring the MASSIVE cave system I found (it's connected to my house, actually). I finally reached a huge underground ravine with waterfalls and lava flows. I decided I'd head back the way I came, hope I didn't get lost, and lay signs along the way. Figured it would be about an hour to get back. Just as I was leaving, I noticed a waterfall that opened up into the seabed. I used the water elevator and BOOM, surfaced in a cove across the lake from my house. I built a huge pillar with torched on it to mark the spot, and plan on making it into a tube so the water can't get in and with a ladder. Can't get over how many cave systems connect in perfect ways and how many cool opportunities it opens up.
Yeah, these are my favorite exploration moments. These are also the ones that lead to checking the hour and it's 2 in the morning.

Daffy Duck

I need to level up again then to get another sword which hopefully has looting added to it, got my library to boost it, just needs 30 levels again.

I have a diamond sword of sharpness IV and knockback ii

Ferr986

Speaking of maps, I really wish maps placed in item frames would fill the whole block like it does on the PC version. One of my favorite things is filling up a wall with maps of the area surrounding my place.

1lP1E0v.png

Just to be sure, this cant be done on PS4, right? I placed four maps in the wall but It just show the last one I placed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it just me, or is the UI sound, especially the 'select' sound about 30x louder than any other sound?

It is do goddamn loud I need to turn down my stereo to the point where I can barely hear the environment sounds. Ugh.

I hope they fix this

I noticed some really annoying glitches, animals moving through fences, dogs and cats spawning outside my nether gate when I come back that kind of stuff

Yeah, I've seen some weird behavior on my PS4 game. I imported 2 separate PS3 worlds where I had tamed maybe 5-6 wolves in each. When I load my save, I have now something like 10 wolves around.

Switching to manual saves is kind of problematic too. There are times when the progress between the last autosave and the manual save seems to have disappeared, except the time of the day (and I assume the complete world state) has been saved.

A tip that has helped me a bunch in finding my way home while mining: only place torches on the right side of the cave wall. That way you can follow the torches on the left side as you're making your way home. It's way cheaper than signs and is a quick visual aid to see whether or not you're heading deeper into a mine or ascending.

Just to be sure, this cant be done on PS4, right? I placed four maps in the wall but It just show the last one I placed.

Unfortunately not :( You should be able to place maps but it doesn't fill the whole frame. It'll end up looking like this:

Definitely not as nice looking.

MouldyK

A tip that has helped me a bunch in finding my way home while mining: only place torches on the right side of the cave wall. That way you can follow the torches on the left side as you're making your way home. It's way cheaper than signs and is a quick visual aid to see whether or not you're heading deeper into a mine or ascending.

Unfortunately not :( You should be able to place maps but it doesn't fill the whole frame. It'll end up looking like this:

Is that the size on the Xbox One/PS4 version? o_O Looks bigger than i thought.

Calderc

I cannot for the life of me find diamonds. I have mine down at about levels 13-8 but no diamonds no matter where I look.

Also, hi Gaf, first post!

MouldyK

I think that screenshot is from the PC version before it updated. It looks like it's actually a pretty small area though since the map is zoomed in all the way.

Ah. I want someone to tell me the size in map pieces of the New Gen consoles lol. Someday i'll make the trek.

So, that PS3 -> PS4 save bug is apparently common and I realize it's going to be exploited to hell.

Whenever you save (on PS4) on a PS3 imported world:
- the world state does save: time of the day, blocks, contents of chests are all updated.
- character state remains the same as at the time of the import: in particular, position and inventory don't change.

This has duping written all over it.

Ferr986

Thanks. I though so. It would be useful to have all your worldmap in your wall

Ah. I want someone to tell me the size in map pieces of the New Gen consoles lol. Someday i'll make the trek.

25 maps on the largest world on PS4/XO.

GulAtiCa

Finally did it! I connected my new ocean rail from my current mining area with my mountain stop. It took a whole map worth of straight wood blocks/railway tracks to get there. And I'm not even done still! I'm currently adding glass blocks all around. At least now I can start transferring some of my new stuff there. Including about 50 gold bars (had to use a lot of them to make powered rails haha), a LOT of iron bars (at least 6 full sets), at least 6 full set of coal.

I'll have to take a picture tonight, the completed glass parts look nice, esp the parts underwater. At night you can clearly see it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone explain how maps work?

From what I've read online, if you create a new map, and then put it in your hand, it will start mapping from the point you are in the game.

Well, I did that, and the second map was a carbon copy of the first map, and my "cursor" was still off to the side because I was outside the map's extents.

How do I create a new map that shows my current position?

MouldyK

Can someone explain how maps work?

From what I've read online, if you create a new map, and then put it in your hand, it will start mapping from the point you are in the game.

Well, I did that, and the second map was a carbon copy of the first map, and my "cursor" was still off to the side because I was outside the map's extents.

How do I create a new map that shows my current position?

I've read that since Console Versions are different, we have to go to the point of the end of our first map, then make the map there.

Previously, in order to map a new area, the map had to be crafted in that area (rather than carrying a previously-crafted map to the new area). The point where a map is crafted becomes its permanent center, and could never be changed.

That is on the Minecraft Wiki. Maybe 4J ain't put this in yet.

Ferr986

Previously, in order to map a new area, the map had to be crafted in that area (rather than carrying a previously-crafted map to the new area). The point where a map is crafted becomes its permanent center, and could never be changed.

Thats not the case on the PS4 version.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've read that since Console Versions are different, we have to go to the point of the end of our first map, then make the map there.

what is the "point of the end"? I was clearly off the bottom edge of my original map, then I put the new map in my hand. It showed the exact same thing as the original map. Both maps looked exactly the same.

Krilekk

Banned
I actually prefer it that way because it makes creating huge maps much easier. On PC you have to count blocks, then create the next map etc. to create perfectly fitting maps.

I killed the Enderdragon today. It was much easier than I thought (playing on Hard), took 80 or so arrows but I never got into any trouble. Got 71 levels from killing him, enchanted two pickaxes and got unbreaking/efficiency/silk touch on one and unbreaking/efficiency/fortune 3 on the other. Quite lucky. With that I got 120 diamonds just today. It's time to change from mining and doing challenges to building. But I might as well stop until hoppers come to console. I don't wanna build huge farms without them anymore.

Looking back I have experienced quite an adventure in this map and about thirty hours. Got seriously lost, build a library only to have it blown up by a creeper, found my first End portal/stronghold. Did my first brewings. Right now I get to level 30 whenever I mine and then return to get a new tool and put my treasure away. I'm missing a real challenge, I think I died five times total. Beds and the good visibility at night made the game too easy. I'm only scared of the Nether. Maybe I should build there but I love a nice vista.

I actually prefer it that way because it makes creating huge maps much easier. On PC you have to count blocks, then create the next map etc. to create perfectly fitting maps.

No you don't. You just walk off the current map and create a new one. It automatically aligns it to fit.

Krilekk

Banned
what is the "point of the end"? I was clearly off the bottom edge of my original map, then I put the new map in my hand. It showed the exact same thing as the original map. Both maps looked exactly the same.

You have to craft it when you're off the border, it won't work if you craft it and only look at it across the border. Maps show the area they are crafted in on console.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You have to craft it when you're off the border, it won't work if you craft it and only look at it across the border. Maps show the area they are crafted in on console.

That's not what happened to me.

I was sailing along, and made sure I was very far from the southern border. Probably a good 1/4 of a map length south of the southern map border.

I then put the new map in my hand, and it showed the exact same thing as the previous one.

MouldyK

That's not what happened to me.

I was sailing along, and made sure I was very far from the southern border. Probably a good 1/4 of a map length south of the southern map border.

I then put the new map in my hand, and it showed the exact same thing as the previous one.

You have to have a crafting table with you and CRAFT the map at that point, not just put it in your hand.

GulAtiCa

Took over 1000 glass blocks, a whole lot of wood, and good bit of railway tracks to complete this diagonal segment! Looking good I think.

While this part is done, still got a lot left to do, mainly the other tracks. I noticed when you are far enough away, any furnace you have running will pause until you get close enough. Also explored the map a little near my cave system and found a desert village and got 2 music disks via getting the skeleton to kill the creeper method.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I played an absolute ton of Minecraft when it was an unknown game in Alpha and my coworkers would laugh at me for playing "that shitty block game".

Anyways, I pretty much burned out on it after going non-stop at it for about two months. I hadn't really touched it since.

Now, playing the "complete" version, I'm completely sucked in again. Being able to establish a base, sleep-spawn at it with a bed, and have a map that fills in as you explore is a total blast. The reward of finding temples and other random stuff in the world as you explore is awesome.

I love being able to play this on my couch as well.

That said, why the hell isn't there surround sound in the PS4 version?! Is this a bug?

Top Bottom