• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NPD Estimate) Next Gen Consoles Break 3M in December (Wii > 360??)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
:lol
It seems my prediction of Wii > both 360 and PS2 was right.
And some of the xbots are very funny, they never fail to amuse me.

John Harker said:
Yea well, its not like Wii > X360 means Wii $$$ > Xbox360 $$$

In case everyone forgot, the 360 costs a bit more money

Yeah, but doesn't Nintendo make more money off each system than Microsoft does?

John Harker said:

Really? I haven't thought of that.....

I would be surprised if the Wii outsells everything else. If so, the demand must be ridiculously high, because there haven't been systems available for weeks now.

Striek

Razoric said:
I guess I missed a gaf memo... why is it a surprise that a brand new system that was the hot item last christmas outsells a year old system if the supply is good??
Precedent.

starship said:
No.

starship said:
:lol
And some of the xbots are very funny, they never fail to amuse me.

Let's keep this civil lest the hammer falls and wipes folks before out the actual discussion Thursday night / Friday morning.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, you guys didn't see this coming? I should bring you all to Nintendo World on a field trip.
I'd predicted 1.2m Wii and 1.3m 360, because I thought the Wii would be in tighter supply. I figured they'd be close.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:
I didn't say that. I said it's a FACTOR. Saying price is a factor, along with the games, the launch hype, the holidays and the good supply is not spin. Price is a factor in every thing, and the Wii has an advantage there. I'm not saying it's the main factor, just one of several. And that's not spin, it's trying to understand reasons behind the excellent sales. :\

I didnt actually want to address that particular comment at you, just other people who seem to already be making excuses. Price is a factor sure, but this is also Christmas.

ToxicAdam said:
How many times does it need to be said, the only December NPD that matters is 2007.

Until you convince all of GAF? It definitely matters for everybody. Will it decide the console race? No. Does it give some data to make some determinations about market conditions? Absolutely.

Magicpaint said:
That's true. Unfortunately, I think the Wii will drop significantly behind both PS3 and 360 in the coming months because of its terrible Q1 line up. Nintendo systems do well in december, so I wouldn't be surprised if it beat 360. We'll see on thursday. :)

Not this f**king nonsense again

RaijinFY

norinrad21 said:
Not this f**king nonsense again

Why is it nonsense? It has been always the case heh...

EDIT:

But if the 1.3M figure is confirmed for only December, then wow... :eek:'
Looks like Wii will become the number one very soon and for long.

Tieno

DefectiveReject said:
Being the cheapest console last gen REALLY REALLY REALLY helped the GC!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
DefectiveReject
Retard Defense Force: Captain Retard
(Today, 03:56 PM)

DefectiveReject said:
Being the cheapest console last gen REALLY REALLY REALLY helped the GC!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tieno said:
DefectiveReject
Retard Defense Force: Captain Retard
(Today, 03:56 PM)

Vangellis said:
I dont understand what the big deal with the wii selling that much. It should sell the most imo, its the cheapest of the three, .

:lol :lol :lol

IF the Wii's attach rate is 2.5 and the sales for Dec were 1.2 mil, wouldn't that mean around 3 million software sales. I presume that they don't count Wii sports, so you would think that Red steel or something had a very good month? they can't sell so much more zeldas than consoles right :D

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
APerfectCircle said:
IF the Wii's attach rate is 2.5 and the sales for Dec were 1.2 mil, wouldn't that mean around 3 million software sales. I presume that they don't count Wii sports, so you would think that Red steel or something had a very good month? they can't sell so much more zeldas than consoles right :D
They expected 1.3m sales for Wii so its even more than 3m.
Zelda sales will be huge for sure, but I guess all games enjoy great sales, especially Red Steel, Madden, Rayman, Call of Duty and Super Monkey Ball.

APerfectCircle said:

The attach rate isnt 2.5. Thats the ratio that wii sold to ps3. 2.5 wiis for every ps3.

Does anyone have gamecube launch numbers?

This is just a prediction as everyone has been trying to say. Just hold your horses.

However, I do have to say this is very amusing. Not a single person in prior threads (November NPD etc., I believe) expected the Wii to outsell the 360. I remember some individuals touting the fact that the 360 outsold the Wii in November and declaring the end of the system wars.

Now everyone flips and feigns indifference to this possible news of the opposite occurring. Don't worry. I see through the ploy; you're all pitiful steaming vats of anger underneath your internetted veneer. :lol

Meier

Anyone acting like they expected this is full of shit. Practically no one thought, given the supply issues of recent console launches, that the Wii would be able to get enough product on the shelves to outsell the 360 with its ample supply, great deals and Gears of War hype.

I never saw a Wii post-launch... anywhere... so I was thinking Nintendo would be lucky to even get a million sold in December, let alone more than the 360. This is a complete surprise and to say otherwise is to downplay reality.

hadareud

The Translator
Rancid Mildew said:
This is just a prediction as everyone has been trying to say. Just hold your horses.

However, I do have to say this is very amusing. Not a single person in prior threads (November NPD etc., I believe) expected the Wii to outsell the 360. I remember some individuals touting the fact that the 360 outsold the Wii in November and declaring the end of the system wars.

Now everyone flips and feigns indifference to this possible news of the opposite occurring. Don't worry. I see through the ploy; you're all pitiful steaming vats of anger underneath your internetted veneer. :lol
I didn't think that Nintendo could get enough units out there either, I should have known better (they obviously do not have any manufacturing issues). Still I can't get a bleeding wii in the UK.

I don't remember anyone declaring 360 victory in November though. Glad you are happy though!

Vangellis

DefectiveReject said:

:lol :lol :lol

Hmm you sort of chopped the other things I said out of the quote. The wii didnt sell the most because it was the cheapest. There isnt just one factor driving its great sales... and there are certainly more reasons why it did well other than the few I said.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
DigitalA1chemy said:
Yeah, but doesn't Nintendo make more money off each system than Microsoft does?

yea, but it depends what we're talking about...
Microsft, im sure, in these reports have a higher gross portion of overall industry revenue than Nintendo.

But hell, what do I care? I own both anywhere, and software charts are far more interesting.

Saoh

John Harker said:

i thought the 360 was still causing loss to MS. and the Wii was making even.

if Wii > 360 then Jan 11th is going to be hella fun! :lol cant wait for the insults and massive bans :D

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
hmm aren't these numbers always over estimated...atleast that was the case of the Xbox 360 numbers the last year. It´s like hey 360 sold 700k units...numbers come out...oh suppose it was 450k. Kinda makes you think what the real PS3 numbers will be.....legendary thread it will be that´s for sure!

Nameless

I have a plethora of GIFS to unleash come thursday... here is a sneak preview:

If 360 is #1

1158703133985bp0.gif

If Wii does worse than expected:
drunkspinfallts5.gif

If PS3 actually breaks a million:
f6d9e835d4f2bb2077e99ebe53d6.gif

If thursday is really the end of GAF, it will be such an end worthy of remembrance.

farnham

Banned
WMS is michael pachter right..???

i think he was wrong once with the 360.. but that was an overestimation.. lets see if he underestimated the 360 this time..

hadareud said:
I didn't think that Nintendo could get enough units out there either, I should have known better (they obviously do not have any manufacturing issues). Still I can't get a bleeding wii in the UK.

I don't remember anyone declaring 360 victory in November though. Glad you are happy though!

Yeah. I'm really surprised Nintendo successfully got this many out there. Good luck of getting a Wii!

I remember the names of the people who posted but I won't call them out. They know who they are. I'm really happy that unexpected stuff happens and forces people to eat their impassioned words.

quetz67

Banned
Haunted_One said:
Please do. The amount of crow eating on GAF would be insane. :lol
Wii has still to prove it's momentum can last longer than GC's. 360 still needs to sell more than what the xbox did for Microsoft to be a success and Sony still has to deliver lots of units and sell them at the price before we can declare new kings or before the big crow eating can begin. Right now these are good but mostly expected numbers for all consoles.

Xellotah

quetz67 said:
Wii has still to prove it's momentum can last longer than GC's. 360 still needs to sell more than what the xbox did for Microsoft to be a success and Sony still has to deliver lots of units and sell them at the price before we can declare new kings or before the big crow eating can begin. Right now these are good but mostly expected numbers for all consoles.

The Wii still needs to sell 75m to prove itself.

quetz67

Banned
Xellotah said:
The Wii still needs to sell 75m to prove itself.
I dont think the Wii has to prove anything. It is more like MS/Sony have to prove themselves.

Nintendo makes money off their consoles so they can be happy with whatever they sell, it is just that many are expecting Nintendo to be the new/old king, but right now we just have good launch sales plus a GC like drought coming.

I personally dont care because I have a PC and will get a PS3 too, but for many the Wii has to prove it can be a good choice for their hardcore gamer needs.

birdchili

Jammy said:
What the hell have PS3 owners been buying in the past month? That attach rate sure shot up.

pretty-much what everyone was expecting, right? the whole terrible early attach rate was widely attributed to the "buying it to flip on ebay" phenom. now that people who actually are interested in gaming have the system and they're getting games to play - not many early adopters are going to be content with just one game, so some of the substandard stuff is selling.

wii>360 would be awfully good for its momentum though... it's already been reveling in universally good press, another nice wii headline this would be.

it does sound like this whole video game business is doing alright though - that's good to hear in the general.

Top Bottom