• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NPD Estimate) Next Gen Consoles Break 3M in December (Wii > 360??)

farnham

Banned
quetz67 said:
I dont think the Wii has to prove anything. It is more like MS/Sony have to prove themselves.

Nintendo makes money off their consoles so they can be happy with whatever they sell, it is just that many are expecting Nintendo to be the new/old king, but right now we just have good launch sales plus a GC like drought coming.

I personally dont care because I have a PC and will get a PS3 too, but for many the Wii has to prove it can be a good choice for their hardcore gamer needs.

just out of curiosity... what exciting great titles is the PS3 receiving in this period..?

farnham said:
just out of curiosity... what exciting great titles is the PS3 receiving in this period..?

You're going to start a list war. But, the next 3 months+ have a large number of anticipated PS3 titles, IMO. Assuming they actually get released accoroing to the current released dates.

Motorstorm, LAIR, Heavenly Sword, VF5, Oblivion, Rainbow Six, GRAW 2, Mercenaries 2, & Assassin's Creed

+ some library support in

NBA Street, MOH: Airborne, Splinter Cell, FEAR, Armored Core 4, Virtua Tennis.

MS already shipped 10.4 m consoles plus their quarterly report for months of Oct-Nov-Dec should have the same/similar number.

NPD now is useless. Quarterly numbers from company financials are better.

quetz67

Banned
farnham said:
Sorry, I dont care, I can get one before march, and I already said I dont care anyway because I dont have to depend on one console.

cartoon_soldier said:
MS already shipped 10.4 m consoles plus their quarterly report for months of Oct-Nov-Dec should have the same/similar number.

Run, run while you still can!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
cartoon_soldier said:

:lol :lol :lol

JB1981

sonycowboy said:
You're going to start a list war. But, the next 3 months+ have a large number of anticipated PS3 titles, IMO. Assuming they actually get released accoroing to the current released dates.

Motorstorm, LAIR, Heavenly Sword, VF5, Oblivion, Rainbow Six, GRAW 2, Mercenaries 2, & Assassin's Creed

Hot damn, that's an impressive list. It won't happen but PS3 could really use it.

sonycowboy said:

Jan, Feb, March?

Live in your world, play in your world.

In my world the PS3 is not getting all those games in the next 3 months.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
cartoon_soldier said:
Jan, Feb, March?

He said "3 months+" which, to be fair, includes infinitude.

cartoon_soldier said:
Jan, Feb, March?

As I stated, 3+ months (from today), I was basically going through the end of April. Again, some dates are placeholders as I alluded to.

In any case, my point was merely that there's more than a decent number of titles coming out in the near future that is better than most post launch windows.

Parl

Even though Wii is obviously disrupting the market and is unlikely to not sell more than the other 2, Xbox 360 is also disrupting the high-end sector, a sector that is now, by default, a market of high-end niche technology hubs. Xbox 360 is cheap for and considered on par (bar software) by many consumers who this kinda product appeals to.

PS3 is being displaced and disrupted. Its market is now minimised by alternatives. Instead of having competion from simply a weaker similar style of gaming entertainment (GC and Xbox) and the typical cinema, book reading, watching TV (etc), it has the Wii as a new alternative paradigm of entertainment. One which has mass apeal and has disrupted the market.

It's NES all over again. Sony can win over MS with software, Blu-ray (if it get's an significant momentum going) and brand strength/promotion (among other more minor things). Xbox 360 has momentum coming this year with lots of software that appeals to masses of their smaller disrupted market (thanks to Nintendo), has a lower price point, and already has an installed base and great third party momentum. If MS pulls a good year, and PS3 doesn't have a forecased boost for 2008 from Blu-ray adopters (that also NEED to be interested in buying games), a lowered price, or upcoming titles that can make it win over 360, then Sony will have little chance of turning it around and will thus lose the console war (unless, of course, the market changes significantly for whatever reason; like our culture changes to being lots of core gamers and tech savvy people who find 360 and PS3 technology and its uses as seemless - unlikely, however).

This year is very interesting. This will likely be Wii's second smallest year (behind 2006) for a long time to come (until the cycle is disrupted by new formats). Also potentially PS3's biggest year, or close enough (yet still not a big year). Same with 360.

empanada

cartoon_soldier said:

I sense fear in this one.

sonycowboy said:
As I stated, 3+ months (from today), I was basically going through the end of April. Again, some dates are placeholders as I alluded to.

In the UK on our main game retailers have MArio Galaxy, Metroid and SSBB out as Q1 2007!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Parl said:
Even though Wii is obviously disrupting the market and is unlikely to not sell more than the other 2, Xbox 360 is also disrupting the high-end sector, a sector that is now, by default, a market of high-end niche technology hubs. Xbox 360 is cheap for and considered on par (bar software) by many consumers who this kinda product appeals to.

PS3 is being displaced and disrupted. Its market is now minimised by alternatives. Instead of having competion from simply a weaker similar style of gaming entertainment (GC and Xbox) and the typical cinema, book reading, watching TV (etc), it has the Wii as a new alternative paradigm of entertainment. One which has mass apeal and has disrupted the market.

It's NES all over again. Sony can win over MS with software, Blu-ray (if it get's an significant momentum going) and brand strength/promotion (among other more minor things). Xbox 360 has momentum coming this year with lots of software that appeals to masses of their smaller disrupted market (thanks to Nintendo), has a lower price point, and already has an installed base and great third party momentum. If MS pulls a good year, and PS3 doesn't have a forecased boost for 2008 from Blu-ray adopters (that also NEED to be interested in buying games), a lowered price, or upcoming titles that can make it win over 360, then Sony will have little chance of turning it around and will thus lose the console war (unless, of course, the market changes significantly for whatever reason; like our culture changes to being lots of core gamers and tech savvy people who find 360 and PS3 technology and its uses as seemless - unlikely, however).

This year is very interesting. This will likely be Wii's second smallest year (behind 2006) for a long time to come (until the cycle is disrupted by new formats). Also potentially PS3's biggest year, or close enough (yet still not a big year). Same with 360.

Lapsed is better. Let lapsed do it.

And nobody expected the Wii to outsell the 360....do I really need to go into the NPD predictions thread and pull up the predictions of 95% of gaf? It's a big deal if the Wii, which was so supply limited, outsells the 360 with its first truly blockbuster game.

And I won't be even looking at the implications that would have for Sony, which would be extremely bad.

gth

Neo Member
Sony will win anyway...the PS2 will sell more than any next gen console!

PS2 to outsell 360 every month until PS3 does. :D

Arsenal

I'd be pretty surprised if Nintendo was actually able to ship that many consoles out, but kudos to them if they can. Hopefully they will set a positive example of how to do a successful global rollout that MS and Sony will learn from!

A 2.5 attach rate for PS3 would be even more surprising though all things considered.

This is Patcher though, I think he just throws darts at a board with random estimates on them and then publishes his results. I think time has proven one thing here - patcher sucks at darts.

Liquid

Banned
a newer console thats $150 cheaper with a 20 year old fanbase outselling a consoles thats been out a year, $150 more expensive and a 5 year old fanbase? OMG!!!! :lol The only shocker about nintendo outselling MS would be the fact that i never ONCE saw a wii on shelves thru december. I'm sure many here agree. I mean we all knew they were selling out FAST but you think you'd see em every now and then.

Liquid said:
a newer console thats $150 cheaper with a 20 year old fanbase outselling a consoles thats been out a year, $150 more expensive and a 5 year old fanbase? OMG!!!! :lol The only shocker about nintendo outselling MS would be the fact that i never ONCE saw a wii on shelves thru december. I'm sure many here agree. I mean we all knew they were selling out FAST but you think you'd see em every now and then.

Yes but the funny thing is not only the hardcore gamers are buying the Wii, i actually heard a girl today say i want to buy a Wii..like WTF?

goldenpp72

Im more surprised that they were able to ship that many, considering ive not seen a wii on store shelves but see plenty of ps3s nowadays.

Kafel

Banned
Same with PS2 and Dreamcast please.

Charts with bright colors and stunning flash animations if possible.

Liquid

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Im more surprised that they were able to ship that many, considering ive not seen a wii on store shelves but see plenty of ps3s nowadays.

exactly. wii sections were completely ravished and ramshacked at target everytime i'd go there.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Liquid said:

By your logic the GC should have outsold the Xbox and it didn't. Try again.

J-Rzez

sonycowboy said:

Well that's an impressive list, no doubt... I'd have to pick up about 10 of those games... Too bad I'll be away for 6 months in training, no videogames allowed :( ... Only plus side is, when I'm out, those titles plus more should be out as well... I'm going to have a hell of a backlog with these, and some 360 titles...

But do these numbers really tell anything yet to be honest? I mean, you're going to have the fanbase from last gen still purchasing systems at this point, it's hard to pick out who's going to be breaking new ground, and who isn't at this point... It's going to have to be MS and Ninty getting new customers, and to see how much Sony can retain of it's fanbase...

Liquid

Banned
duderon said:
By your logic the GC should have outsold the Xbox and it didn't. Try again.

when was the GC $150 cheaper? :lol TRY AGAIN. i mean dont get it wrong. I'm a part of the wii60 movment myself. I just find this odd since since launch day when i picked up mine i have NEVER seen a wii in stores. ANYWHERE. ps3? numerous times. wii? Besides ads in the paper a couple weeks after launch where people lined up....not a wii, not a nunchuck, not a wiimote...NOTHING.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Liquid said:

OMG uamsorite :lol :lol

when was the GC $150 cheaper

It was 67% of that! Not after May of that year, but it was.

unomas

Banned
I've seen this before, a Nintendo console sells well at Christmas (kids/family) go figure. Who would have thunk that? The 360 sells less than the original Xbox at the same time in it's console life shows that price is a factor.

After the Wii drought fades in the next 2 months lets see what sales are like at that point. Gamecube sales throughout the year besides Christmas were never that great, I think Wii sales will follow a similar path starting in March. And we wait......

Ceb

sonycowboy said:

Assassin's Creed was pushed forward to sometime next fiscal year (meaning it could just as well hit in early March 08 :D).

For the doubters, the only other uncertain games on sonycowboy's list are Mercenaries 2, Armored Core 4 and (I guess, since we have heard so little about it recently) Heavenly Sword.

More from Mr Pachter. Notice the estimated decline in PSP SW sales...

The company also notes that the current-gen PlayStation 2 hardware, which outsold the 360 in November, likely sold around 1 million units." Overall, according to their estimates, U.S. hardware installed base currently stands at 18 million next generation consoles (including handhelds) as of the end of November 2006 (up from 8 million at year end 2005).

The company's forecasts reflect only a slight decline for PS2 software sales (-3%), as "that console continues to sell through extremely well." It forecasts a much more considerable decline for GameCube software (-67%) and for Xbox software (-63%), as "these platforms have all but been abandoned by their respective manufacturers."

It's also mentioned: "We expect a dramatic year-over-year increase in sales for Xbox 360 software (not coincidentally, up 360%), a substantial increase for DS software (up 68%), and a very slight decline in sales for PSP software (-2%)."

KINGMOKU

Oh lord. I hope this turns out true, becuase I got alot of shit for my predictions about the Wii outselling the 360.

BTW, a HUGE thing when considering the success of the Wii in december need to think about this;

If the 1.3million number holds up, it would be higher then any single month the gamecube had in any country.

If 1.3million holds up, it will be a higher month then the DS has ever had in the United States (Excluding this December of course)

This number also matches the highest month ever in the U.S. for the SNES wich went on to sell 22illion units in the U.S.

1.3million marks a return of Nintendo consoles in the U.S. to be sure. I wnder how many Wii's they could have sold had thier been no supply issues. The highest the N64 hit was 1.9million in a month.

We shall see though.

3rdman

unomas said:
I've seen this before, a Nintendo console sells well at Christmas (kids/family) go figure. Who would have thunk that? The 360 sells less than the original Xbox at the same time in it's console life shows that price is a factor.

After the Wii drought fades in the next 2 months lets see what sales are like at that point. Gamecube sales throughout the year besides Christmas were never that great, I think Wii sales will follow a similar path starting in March. And we wait......

I agree...but even though there will be a drop-off, I expect it to sell in very solid numbers throughout the year. Kids have birthdays all year long, after all. :p January and February are going to be a much better gauge as to what to expect down the line. My stab-in-the-dark guess is that it'll sell at about 60% - 70% compared to 360 sales thoughout 2007.

unomas said:

I swear the notion that Nintendo underperforms compared to the rest of the industry post Christmas was disproven by several graphs in prior threads.

Regardless, the Wii outselling the 360 in December was almost universally unexpected and would be a major achievement considering how supply constrained it is.

3rdman said:
I agree...but even though there will be a drop-off, I expect it to sell in very solid numbers throughout the year. Kids have birthdays all year long, after all. :p January and February are going to be a much better gauge as to what to expect down the line. My stab-in-the-dark guess is that it'll sell at about 60% - 70% compared to 360 sales thoughout 2007.

I'm fairly certain that a demographic beyond kids will try to grab a Wii as well.

Liquid

Banned
moku said:
Oh lord. I hope this turns out true, becuase I got alot of shit for my predictions about the Wii outselling the 360.

BTW, a HUGE thing when considering the success of the Wii in december need to think about this;

If the 1.3million number holds up, it would be higher then any single month the gamecube had in any country.

If 1.3million holds up, it will be a higher month then the DS has ever had in the United States (Excluding this December of course)

This number also matches the highest month ever in the U.S. for the SNES wich went on to sell 22illion units in the U.S.

1.3million marks a return of Nintendo consoles in the U.S. to be sure. I wnder how many Wii's they could have sold had thier been no supply issues. The highest the N64 hit was 1.9million in a month.

We shall see though.

lets see how this holds up thru the traditional post launch nintendo drought which is coming. definately a good time to own BOTH consoles in the coming months.

3rdman

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm fairly certain that a demographic beyond kids will try to grab a Wii as well.

I was joking...didn't you see my ":p"? In any case, I know you're right...but I still think that my estimate is pretty good.

Rancid Mildew said:
I swear the notion that Nintendo underperforms compared to the rest of the industry post Christmas was disproven by several graphs in prior threads.

Regardless, the Wii outselling the 360 in December was almost universally unexpected and would be a major achievement considering how supply constrained it is.

Actually the only thead that I saw the calculations indeed showed that Nintendo consoles (Dont know about handhelds) did indeed have the largest post December drop in sales.

sonycowboy said:
More from Mr Pachter. Notice the estimated decline in PSP SW sales...

A decrease in software in its second year on the market...?

Afaik even in Japan PSP software sales in 2006 are substantially higher than in 2005.

Grecco

Liquid said:
lets see how this holds up thru the traditional post launch nintendo drought which is coming. definately a good time to own BOTH consoles in the coming months.

Theres at least one title per month on Wii Jan-Feb-March that will sell well. This drought is overrated

Impressive Wii numbers if it is true. But the problem is that in Q1 the Wii has only Wario Ware and Mario Party 8. I only hope that Third parties will deliver some good software for the Wii relativity soon.

KINGMOKU

Grecco said:
Theres at least one title per month on Wii Jan-Feb-March that will sell well. This drought is overrated
Yup, and I'll tell you right now;

All those people who went out and bought a Wii(Non-gamers, parents, grandfolk) will go nuts over wiiplay.

That game will keep the Wii rolling more then anyone could have ever imagined.

2million+ in the States, at least.

Not to mention the fact that it comes with a controller.

Top Bottom