• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

PleoMax said:
You dumb retards.

The damm boats coming from China are slow as shit, so there's big time shortages. Not consoles on the shelfs, no consoles to sell. Ps3 did awesome taking into account they only shipped like 100K. That's right, the rest is imports, just so you know how wanted it is.

Pff

What? I can't tell if he's serious or not.

The reason that PS3 isn't doing well is because of the continued success of PS2. Of course Sony can't defeat themselves but when the time comes PS3 will take the crown.

I can't spin this shit. PS3 am fail

Last gen, the ps2 came out 1 year before the xbox and gamecube, and all three had their first price drop at the same time, 18 months after the ps2 launched, 6 months after the xbox & gamecube launched.

Now it seems pretty likely the same will happen this gen, at least with the 360 and ps3 both dropping their price in April (6 months after the ps3 launce, 18 after the 360 launch) due to the ps3's abyssmal preformance and 360 wanting to follow suit.

Bowen_B

Banned
schuelma said:
Is it just me, or aren't the 360 numbers a tad disappointing? By all accounts Crackdown sold a ton, and it barely broke 200K. Am I being too critical? I mean its not a disaster, but it doesn't look like its going to break above 225K anytime soon. Wii's going to catch it by August at this pace..
BAN HIM!!
ban_him.jpg

bud

_leech_ said:
Including PSN games: Motorstorm, Tekken 5, MLB 2K7, Virtua Tennis 3, and Oblivion.

motorstorm is the only title that has the potential (no pun intended
maybe
) to do reasonable numbers imo.

WindyMan

LOcKY said:
Im curious what the developers and publishers think about these numbers.

they cant just keep throwing their Team D at the Wii games unless they dont mind losing out on potential profits.

Well obviously EA got the message. It's pushing its Wii development studios to make good games. Madden and Tiger Woods (and maybe SSX, depending on who you talk to) should be a clear indication of that.

J-Rzez

LukeSmith said:
WOLLAN ARE YOU OK?
POST IF YOU ARE OK

:lol

anyways...

Well, obviously I can't have fun on either the 360 or PS3 if they don't beat out the Wii, especially if they barely beat out it's sales when combined... :p

Just like my PSP... I don't have fun with it on nearly daily basis... but my DS, I have so much fun with it as it has nearly as many dust molecules on it as it does units sold... Just like I'm sure the Halo 3 beta including Crackdown will instantly become more fun after the numbers...

Seriously, Sony and MS won't be able to counter the Ninty Hype for a lil' while yet... the amount of hype it got will last for a while... It's when more and more titles start coming out pushing each of those units in graphics and gameplay is when the Wii is going to settle down off the bullet-train and back on the steam-engine hype train...

I think everyone's still wrapped up in the omg-wii-sports hype... Honestly, I don't really think people know about what's coming for it down the road, or lack there-of? There's less high-profile titles coming for it than even what the PS3 has ahead of itself for this year...

I have no fears in MS delivering titles obviously, and I know Sony is always a slow starter which i'm actually shocked there's this many high-profile titles coming in it's first year, I'll be more than happy with both of these alone...

Sony's in some sort of critical yet strange situation here... Did they expect the really slow death of the PS2 to hold them over until their fanbase decides to jump onto the next Sony rig? It's really something that the last gen machine is still putting up really good numbers...

Even while Home and LBP was a great showing for them, and they got some positive press for it, they need to carry on... The thing crippling them right now is there's not enough compelling software out there... We know it's coming, but there's NO damned media on it... They need to unveil everything they got right now since I don't think they can afford/nor want to do a price-cut on the machine at this time... They need to show off more of Warhawk, more of Uncharted, help Insomniac out anyway possible to get Rachet moving along quicker... same with DMC4, MGS4 (which we haven't seen in a long while, I'm actually expecting something surprising with how it looks next time we see it), WKS, GT5... They need to show more Lair, more Heavenly Sword... They need Killzone to turn out spectacular now... and show some ****ing Socom... Socom would have a decent impact on the scene...

But they have to do something... and quick... I don't think they can hold out until the prior PS2 base starts moving over faster (which won't happen for a couple years, and a couple price-drops)... I don't think they can hold out on waiting until E3 to roll out everything else they got... They need to organize a Sony event, and show their wares... If they're gonna take a hit on something, they need MORE 20Gb models out there... LOT'S more at this time and date... and if they can, knock off $50-100, or include a voucher for a free Sony published game...

This is all IMHO obviously... Many will see it this way, many will not...

LukeSmith said:
WOLLAN ARE YOU OK?
POST IF YOU ARE OK

Dude Where's Raistlin/Onix, he gave me hard time for years during the PS2 versus DC battles on this very board (no I'm not *** ***).

If you go back in time 7 years you can see the beginnings of the end for DC. So basically Sony better be at 2M+ by this fall or they're doing no better than the DC was (in the US at least).

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/basement/ga-archive/peter-moore-dc-sales-09-25-00.htm
http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/basement/ga-archive/mgs2-screens_09-01-00.htm

I think people are overreacting a little bit, it's only Feb. If they don't sell more than 130K per month through the summer, THEN they are in serious trouble in the US. It will become like PC Engine or Saturn, a system very popular in Japan that bombed in the US.

Certainly smart for lots of devs to start up Wii projects, but unfortunately most of them won't hit until 2008. I wonder what's going to happen this fall when it's Wii first party heaven versus PS3 and 360 3rd party heaven. Can Nintendo expand outside of their dedicated and invigorated fanbase? Do they have enough appeal with today's youngsters or will they switch to PS3 and 360 for "red blood" factor (cue Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter history lessons)?

andthebeatgoeson

X26 said:
Well your personal attacks on people are kind of pathetic, it's as if I were to mention the fact that you greatly resemble Entertianment Tonight's very own Steven Cojocaru

cojo.jpg
What is that?

Sonycowboy split the threads. Software in another thread. This would 'of' (snicker) been a huge thread.

LukeSmith said:
love Wollan, I am concerned for his well being.

PLEASE. We are here to discuss and it is not a drama. We are speaking about three companies that make a lot of money behind us. So, discuss is ok. Amusement too and a little bit disappointment too, but there are A LOT OF THING WAY MORE DRAMATIC ON THIS EARTH, so please, don't even begin with this pathetic statements.

No, I'm not joking. Not about these thing. I think that we can ALL understand that being a fan it's ok, but to make appear this a reason to live is just ridiculous !!!

AltogetherAndrews said:
The low numbers of the Ps3 don't bother me half as much as the high numbers for Wii. It's a price point thing, but it's still disturbing that a system like that could be this appealing to people. If this trend continues, say goodbye to advancements in AV and physics technologies, and welcome back Nintendo of old. Sony pushed the envelope and pushed to the market a solidly built and very powerful console, and the price is just too high. But the alternative, budget priced consoles with marginal power gap over the previous generation... ugh, that's a nasty vision of the future of the industry right there.

Hopefully this shit can be turned around with a price drop and good games.

the funny thing is, there's a happy medium between the two extremes that's doing decently well.

splorgenborg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
"Wait till Loco Roco."

"Wait till Killzone 2"

"Wait till LBP."

"Wait till Ken eats his spinach."

Vark

MindCollizion said:
With PS2 selling so well I guess they're really not carign much for PS3 at the moment....

on the other hand...

GO DS! GO Wii! GO NINTENDO!

I'm pretty sure that was the thinking.. letting the PS2 float them until they can get the cost of the PS3 down to something reasonable at which case their fainted intrest they're showing towards the PS2 will dry up.

The problem with this thinking is that publishers have no patience or loyalty.

rage1973

X26 said:
Well your personal attacks on people are kind of pathetic, it's as if I were to mention the fact that you greatly resemble Entertianment Tonight's very own Steven Cojocaru

cojo.jpg
It's not like SDF has never made any attacks towards Luke before I am sure.

J-Rzez said:
there's not enough compelling software out there... We know it's coming, but there's NO damned media on it... They need to unveil everything they got right now
Yeah. Sony's problem is that they haven't released enough screenshots.

xaosslug

oh.my.god... @ this thread. You know, if PS3 ever begins to outsell Wii/X360/PS2, at any point... ever, the resulting thread will be HYSTERICAL and GAF, well...

43c7vyd.gif

2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif

2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif

2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif
2zgdqgk.gif

:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Luke in this thread = Cartman at the end of that episode when he fed that kid his parents.

IMO, the only thing that can save a PS3 is a 50% price drop. Yeah, a $300 PS3 (MS would drop the price of the 360 too....)

I know of at least 4-5 people that would've bought a PS3 already if the price was more feasible.

Vyer

JB1981 said:
Oh, there's drama alright. But you're creating your own little personal drama as well.

He, his coworkers, and his profession get battered here on a regular basis. Usually by vocal fanboys, to boot. It probably is a bit of a stretch for those of us on the board to shake our heads and wag our fingers, hmm?

I think most human beings would probably partake of the drama if given the opportunity. :)

360 CRACKDOWN 427K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 371K
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING 262K
WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 130K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 130K
360 GEARS OF WAR 119K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 113K
360 LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION 111K
WII WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES 109K
360 NBA STREET HOMECOURT 102k

vasuba

Banned
besiktas1 said:
It must be the crack they're hiding in the DS,(must be why I bought my second one :p), because god damn at those numbers.

NPD on a whole for this month, wow at ps3 numbers, but also a wow at ps2, how is it still outselling both next generation consoles...

whatmiyazr2em5.gif

It should be said that it's not just Sony that needs to get on the ball here. The delays of games from 3rd parties like UbiSoft isn't helping matters much.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
In the prediction thread, I nailed the Wii sales to a tee :D Too bad my other predictions were way off base.

lix2k3

schuelma said:
Is it just me, or aren't the 360 numbers a tad disappointing? By all accounts Crackdown sold a ton, and it barely broke 200K. Am I being too critical? I mean its not a disaster, but it doesn't look like its going to break above 225K anytime soon. Wii's going to catch it by August at this pace..

I dont think these exclusives are going to sell systems. But, a low price will. Just ask Nintendo. MS can't compete with thtat. I'm sure they're satisfied with beating their main competitor in the next-gen market. I think they also understand that they'll never beat the PS2 at 299 and 399 when the PS2 can be had for 130 in almost every store imaginable. I think Ms is just trying to stay respectable until Halo drops and they can stand to drop the price.

At this point, nobody can win, IMO. The market is all over the place. Although Sony must be happy that the PS2 is still alive and kicking, they're hurting over the PS3. On the other hand, Nintendo SHOULD be doing well right now. They have the cheapest next-gen console and the brand recognition. Microsoft can't be mad at being outsold by the lower priced machines. And, I bet they're pleasantly surprised that the PS3 is bomba city. Everybody wins for now. In the fall when Halo 3 and GTA 4 drop, I'm interested in seeing how the market responds.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
PLEASE. We are here to discuss and it is not a drama. We are speaking about three companies that make a lot of money behind us. So, discuss is ok. Amusement too and a little bit disappointment too, but there are A LOT OF THING WAY MORE DRAMATIC ON THIS EARTH, so please, don't even begin with this pathetic statements.

No, I'm not joking. Not about these thing. I think that we can ALL understand that being a fan it's ok, but to make appear this a reason to live is just ridiculous !!!

I've said this before but...your posts are awesome.

ziran

kevm3 said:
No great exclusive games on the horizon + high price tag. What did Sony expect? Is there even anything good coming out for PS3 next month that isn't on 360?

The GAMES Sony... Where are the GAMES?

Home and Little Big Planet were nice, but Sony made a stupid move giving all of the media for their upcoming games such as Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted exclusively to print magazines.
Domination regardless because of the awesome power of the Playstation brand?

kallisto76 said:
360 CRACKDOWN 427K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 371K
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING 262K
WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 130K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 130K
360 GEARS OF WAR 119K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 113K
360 LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION 111K
WII WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES 109K
360 NBA STREET HOMECOURT 102k

Real?

djtiesto said:
In the prediction thread, I nailed the Wii sales to a tee :D Too bad my other predictions were way off base.

In another thread i said the Wii would do 400K with the PS3 and 360 doing 200K each. Seems I was a bit high on both the PS3 and Wii, and a little low on the 360.

Top Bottom