• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

KillGore

I'll never understand why Americans (and I guess British too?) people love the 360 so much. Even without exclusive games or exclusive content, even if they raise Live to $100 a year, or even stop selling games altogether, it'll still sell more than the other consoles lol

xHAASx

Banned
I'll never understand why Americans (and I guess British too?) people love the 360 so much. Even without exclusive games or exclusive content, even if they raise Live to $100 a year, or even stop selling games altogether, it'll still sell more than the other consoles lol

No, it wouldn't. It's simply put a gamer's pick. An extensive gaming library accompanied by a first-rate online service.

KillGore

No, it wouldn't. It's simply put a gamer's choice. A broad gaming library accompanied by a terrific online service.

I'm pretty sure it's because the 360 is the "That's where my friends are playing" box and the "Call of duty" box.

Edit: Don't take my comment as saying the 360 does not have quality titles, of course it does, every console does.

xHAASx

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's because the 360 is the "That's where my friends are playing" box and the "Call of duty" box.

Edit: Don't take my comment as saying the 360 does not have quality titles, of course it does, every console does.

You seem to have no knowledge at all about the popularity of Call of Duty on PlayStation.

kswiston

Monthly NPD press releases are getting to be pretty useless... It was bad enough when we got combined SKUs and incomplete numbers for the top 10. Now we are receiving next to know numbers.

Do we know whether MW3 is still ahead of BLOPS after 3 months? Any rough idea of what Skyrim is sitting at LTD?

KillGore

You seem to have no knowledge at all about the popularity of Call of Duty on PlayStation.

So you're saying the first thing most gamers think when someone says Call of Duty is "playstation"? Xbox is definitely the home of COD. COD is sold and bought on any hardware possible but its legs are with Xbox. It's like thinking MGS = Xbox.

kswiston

So you're saying the first thing most gamers think when someone says Call of Duty is "playstation"? Xbox is definitely the home of COD. COD is sold and bought on any hardware possible but its legs are with Xbox. It's like thinking MGS = Xbox.

I'm pretty sure the top 3 best selling games on the PS3 in the US LTD are Call of Duty titles. The games sell better on the 360, but that is partially due to the fact that there are a lot more 360 owners in the US.

Petrae

It's not that huge a drop, 360 fell 84%.
Wii and PS3 are also pretty similar.

That's a correct assumption. It's not uncommon for sales to drop off pretty dramatically from December to January, and combined with a lack of new software (yes, I sound like a broken record) to drive consumers to retail... it's a recipe for disappointment.

xHAASx

Banned

Not precisely. Call of Duty is by far the most prominent and passively played series on PS this generation. It's bigger on the 360, sure, but that doesn't signify that PS3 gamers aren't playing CoD.

There's a name for a giant drop after December: January. For reference, DS's December->January drops:

-80%
-85%
-85%
-90%
-83%
-87%

And I'm lacking last year's numbers.

Petrichor

Microsoft has done a fantastic job of leveling the playing field with the playstation brand this generation (remember at the start of this generation resident evil, grand theft auto, devil may cry, tekken, final fantasy, and metal gear solid were all Playstation exclusives) and was able to offer an afordable next gen experience when Sony launched at $599 with an uninspiring software library.

So it got a head start. Then because of Live, sales may well have become self-perpetuating, but Microsoft had to do something right to get into that position in the first place.

Petrae

Only in the U.S.? That's quite remarkable.

Indeed.

While MW3 combined outsold Skyrim combined last month, individual SKU sales were a different story. Both still bowed to Just Dance 3 on the Wii, though, which is still selling quite well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's cheaper, it had a head start, multiplat ports tend to be equal or favor the 360, and MS has made online gaming a priority this gen since day one. Paying for XBL should be a huge factor but people aren't good with adding up the cost of future scheduled payments.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Microsoft has done a fantastic job of leveling the playing field with the playstation brand this generation (remember at the start of this generation resident evil, grand theft auto, devil may cry, tekken, final fantasy, and metal gear solid were all Playstation exclusives) and was able to offer an afordable next gen experience when Sony launched at $599 with an uninspiring software library.

So it got a head start. Then because of Live, sales may well have become self-perpetuating, but Microsoft had to do something right to get into that position in the first place.

Also, while Microsoft ended up breaking the Sony lock on so many former Playstation exclusives, they in turn sustained the brand popularity of their exclusive Halo franchise, and succeeded in establishing Gears of War as a new exclusive series. Yes, Gears supposedly isn't literally exclusive, but it may as well have been this gen.

Meanwhile, Sony ended up with Gran Turismo delayed for years, and arguably failed to establish significant popularity of new exclusives like Resistance and Killzone. Uncharted has been their biggest success with fresh exclusive IP this gen, I think?

It's cheaper, it had a head start, multiplat ports tend to be equal or favor the 360, and MS has made online gaming a priority this gen since day one. Paying for XBL should be a huge factor but people aren't good with adding up the cost of future scheduled payments.

People like to blame XBL's popularity on people being too dumb to realize they're paying for it. But XBL actually was a more feature packed service from day one, that Sony was stuck playing constant catch up to. XBL enjoyed a lot of deserved hype for being the best online service.

Moving forward, MS does need to stay ahead of the curve, I think, and offer yet more value for the fee. Cloud storage a big one, so that's good.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is going to seem completely random, but does anyone have August 2004 software sales (in dollars), preferably with a citation?

Edit: To be perfectly clear, without PC.

It is the gamers console. Nuff said.

TBH I find it weird that Europeans (and I am one) still cling to the PS3.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Exactly. It's a "No good news, no news at all" policy. Disclosing weak raw numbers would just get the general public talking about Nintendo weakness overall. The company doesn't need any more challenges to deal with, so it's a selective process.

Same can be said for Sony PR, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. On one hand, the PS3 was the #2 best-selling piece of hardware for the month-- but on the other, the number was off considerably from a year ago and Microsoft is still dominating the PS3 here in the US.

Just one question:

About "49% of total" mentioned in Microsoft PR, can you confirm they meant consoles (and not the total spent on 360 platform)?

Petrae

Just one question:

About "49% of total" mentioned in Microsoft PR, can you confirm they meant consoles (and not the total spent on 360 platform)?

Extrapolation of unit sales based on that 51% number would be wrong. PS3 & Wii accounted for more than 340K combined. Unfortunately, that's as specific as I can be.

thirty

Banned
They raise prices again I'll stick to xbla and waiting for games to hit between $20 and $40 like I have been already. No reason to pay full price at all this late in the game. I haven't bought saints row 3 yet for this reason. It's been what 6 months? And it's still $60? F that.

Kusagari

They raise prices again I'll stick to xbla and waiting for games to hit between $20 and $40 like I have been already. No reason to pay full price at all this late in the game. I haven't bought saints row 3 yet for this reason. It's been what 6 months? And it's still $60? F that.

Saints Row has been on sale for $30-40 multiple times already. If you don't check sales that's your fault. And Saints Row came out in November.

Monthly NPD press releases are getting to be pretty useless... It was bad enough when we got combined SKUs and incomplete numbers for the top 10. Now we are receiving next to know numbers.

Do we know whether MW3 is still ahead of BLOPS after 3 months? Any rough idea of what Skyrim is sitting at LTD?
dunno about PC (neither retail nor steam); but it sold roughly 11.5m in the last year on HD consoles(US)

Do we actually know that's the case? Or did I miss something other than a random blog?
missed something; seems PS3 has only dropped 28% YoY

There's a name for a giant drop after December: January. For reference, DS's December->January drops:

-80%
-85%
-85%
-90%
-83%
-87%

And I'm lacking last year's numbers.

Um everyone knows this? Like you showed it happens every year. Now can you tell us what's the name for 34% drop yoy?

fernoca

If the 28% drop is true, that puts the PS3 around 192k (267k on Jan/2011).
Which added to the aprox. 340k units combined (between PS3 and Wii), then that puts the Wii at around 148k (did 319k on Jan/2011).

So, the overall aprox. numbers are something like:

360: 270k (confirmed)
PS3: 192k (28% drop from same month last year)
3DS: 150k (Nintendo info saying that it's at "more than 4.25 million", last month was at "more than 4.1 million")
Wii: 148k (over 340k [PS3+Wii] - over 192k [PS3] = over 148k])

With 3DS and Wii probably alternating positions and give or take few extra thousands.

Which added to the aprox. 340k units combined (between PS3 and Wii), then that puts the Wii at around 148k (did 319k on Jan/2011).

S the overall aprox. numbers are something like:

360: 270k
PS3: 192k
3DS: 150k
Wii: 148k

With 3DS and Wii probably alternating positions and give or take few extra thousands.

how did you get 340K?

maybe I am wrong, but shouldn't PS3+Wii be ~270K?

Xbox 360: 270K (-29%) - 49% Console Hardware Sales Share

Yeah but I thought the 28% came from the random blog
well, yes, but he turned out to be a gaffer and seems he said they are the real numbers; I think in few pages ago he posted

Petrae

3DS: 150k (Nintendo info saying that it's at "more than 4.25 million", last month was at "more than 4.1 million")

Pretty much, except for 3DS, which is a bit underdone.

Yoona

Banned

RIP gaming

Petrae

RIP gaming

That's a grave overreaction for one month. Before we start digging the grave, it's important that we see what February brings. There are new software releases (including SoulCalibur V and Final Fantasy XIII-2, which will be counted for February) and we have the Vita wild card.

Let's give it the rest of Q1 and monitor trends first. If we keep seeing such severe double-digit declines, then we can talk about price cuts, new platforms, or... "RIP gaming", as you stated.

fernoca

Pretty much, except for 3DS, which is a bit underdone.
More interesting then. :p Some slow months ahead, but no biggie.

Wii at over 50% over last year, while low...is expected. And goes around the expectations of it probably ending with 50% decline from 2011 -worldwide-; which is around 5 million or so for the entire 2012.

Still, that puts the Wii ending 2012 with 100 million units worldwide; which is not bad at all.

RIP gaming
You for got your signature "DCX".. :p
But, no biggie. January is usually slow even more after such big numbers a month prior.

Kazerei

Banned

Just wondering, where did the 4.1 number come from? I heard it mentioned somewhere else too, but Nintendo's PR only said "more than 4 million"

Don't know about others but I bought it because of the exclusives and the low price. I don't subscribe to XBL and couldn't care less.

Petrae

December was down considerably yoy aswell, numbers not such as big as previously.

The Wii factor cannot be overstated. Those comparisons drag down the rest of the market. Console units sales were down overall in 2011 versus 2010, but up for PS3 and Xbox 360. That's an important point of reference.

Yes, everyone was down in December 2011 versus 2010, but the drops were more pronounced because Wii had reached mass market saturation. Even if Nintendo were to cut the price of the Wii to $100 (which I can see as a possibility), how many are really going to buy? It's not like the PS2 and its DVD functionality, where buying a second unit for a different room of the house added some purpose. True, the Wii has Netflix, but then you have to factor in the internet connectivity variable.

January did present bigger drops than anyone anticipated. I stand by my assertion that it's at least in part due to a lack of new software releases to get consumers interested and buying.

The Wii factor cannot be overstated. Those comparisons drag down the rest of the market. Console units sales were down overall in 2011 versus 2010, but up for PS3 and Xbox 360. That's an important point of reference.

Yes, everyone was down in December 2011 versus 2010, but the drops were more pronounced because Wii had reached mass market saturation. Even if Nintendo were to cut the price of the Wii to $100 (which I can see as a possibility), how many are really going to buy? It's not like the PS2 and its DVD functionality, where buying a second unit for a different room of the house added some purpose. True, the Wii has Netflix, but then you have to factor in the internet connectivity variable.

January did present bigger drops than anyone anticipated. I stand by my assertion that it's at least in part due to a lack of new software releases to get consumers interested and buying.

If Wii is cut swiftly to 99 dollars I could see it doing very well this year unfortunately I don't think it'll be cut til April, I wouldn't actually be surprised if that cut was planned for xmas just gone but had to be shelved cos of the 3ds cut

Petrae

If Wii is cut swiftly to 99 dollars I could see it doing very well this year unfortunately I don't think it'll be cut til April, I wouldn't actually be surprised if that cut was planned for xmas just gone but had to be shelved cos of the 3ds cut

April or May makes sense. We saw last year's drop announced in early May, as a point of reference.

I'd like to see more games get the Wii Select budget treatment. Get lower-priced software into the channel, mix it up with a couple of new releases, and see how that affects hardware sales.

LuchaShaq

Banned
People like to blame XBL's popularity on people being too dumb to realize they're paying for it. But XBL actually was a more feature packed service from day one, that Sony was stuck playing constant catch up to. XBL enjoyed a lot of deserved hype for being the best online service.

Moving forward, MS does need to stay ahead of the curve, I think, and offer yet more value for the fee. Cloud storage a big one, so that's good.

This, also I've never payed more than 25$ for live.

MS points being on sale constantly saved me more than I spent on live since XBLA is my favorite platform for exclusives this generation (even more so if you don't count PC ports that came 3-6 months later).

The xbla lineup, the controller (enormous factor for me), and consistency of live (despite being called a liar in multiple threads me and many other people have had issues downloading large files on psn) all matter a ton to me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This, also I've never payed more than 25$ for live.

I forgot this too. One year, I got a 12 month gold card for $15 bucks, WOO.

Never paid full price for a subscription either. Almost every person I know who uses XBL gold gets discounted 12 month cards from retailers like Amazon during the very frequent sales.

Meanwhile, on the subject of next gen prices... publishers have grumbled about games being too cheap already, in part to try and help justify subscription services like COD Elite. I feel it's mostly just marketing diversion than indication of a serious plan to charge $70 as the new base price for software.

But, I do have a bad feeling that we could see a stealth price raise for big releases in the form of the "special" edition having more and more of what should be the base content of the game for $69.95. The $59.95 "standard" edition would become more and more gimped.

Hell, we've already seen that this gen. Several key titles have more or less had an unreasonable amount of basic content locked to a special edition. Dragon Age II comes to mind.

On the other hand, the "season pass" concept could become more the standard. FYI, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing. Generally, it guarantees you're paying for content that hasn't been created yet. It also offers a roadmap of how the game will be supported after launch. And a few of the season passes this gen have been pretty good deals for the amount of content you get over time.

Top Bottom