• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

Carl

"Now that we're reporting on games at the title rather than SKU level, it's important to note several that sold well and would have made the top 10 on a SKU unit sales ranking basis. Those include Just Dance 2 on Wii, Killzone 3 on PS3, and Zumba Fitness on Wii."

Accessories

"The number one accessory SKU for March 2011 was the $20 PS3 Network Card, which is the second time since its introduction in June '08 that it has ranked first. This is another indication of digital growth across consoles and how physical retailers are participating."

Good to see Killzone 3 still doing well. Surprised to see PSN money at the top - isn't it usually XBL money at the top?

Snuggler said:
BONEY WAS RIGHT!

So was I! Although my predictions will turn out over-generous all round. I never got why 5 week months seem to sell worse than 4 week months.
Surprised how many people thought the NDS was going to drop like a stone right when Pokemon launched.

V_Arnold

Did the Nintendo 3DS just basically backfired on Nintendo?
I do not mean bomba or "dead console" backfire, but if I am someone who does not know what consoles exactly do and what games they play, I might assume that...

Nintendo DS -> Nintendo 3DS.
One is for normal games, one is for 3d games.
There "should" be no difference between them, right? Like in the movie theaters.

Or is this a totally batshit crazy assumption to make?

Pokemon in the top 2 spots? Wow, I didn't see that coming at all. >_>

In all seriousness, they totally deserve it. Gj, Gamefreak.

Mojojo

"The PSP, Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms each enjoyed a unit sales increase over last March. The PSP benefitted from a $40/unit price reduction which occurred at the beginning of the reporting perio

no mention at all of Wii... bad numbers?

Mrbob

380K for the 3DS then? If the DS is still selling like crazy Nintendo might be fighting against themselves.

Not sure how that one can be spun as a positive, though.

Gravijah

V_Arnold said:
Did the Nintendo 3DS just basically backfired on Nintendo?
I do not mean bomba or "dead console" backfire, but if I am someone who does not know what consoles exactly do and what games they play, I might assume that...

Nintendo DS -> Nintendo 3DS.
One is for normal games, one is for 3d games.
There "should" be no difference between them, right? Like in the movie theaters.

Or is this a totally batshit crazy assumption to make?

No, it's reasonable. I don't see it being a problem after a few months, though.

kswiston

Black Ops sold around 750k last month. Based on Black Ops sales position in March, I am guessing that both Dragon Age 2 and Homefront were somewhere between 500k and 1M.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
<400k sales first week, then for 3DS. we'll see what kind of legs it has.

-Eddman-

SFIV being the 3DS best seller makes me think that Nintendo actually wanted to release weak first party games at launch to encourage third party support. We have literally nothing relevant coming from Nintendo until Zelda. Let's hope the strategy works.

Neki

who is still buying Black Ops? did MW2 and WAW sell this well? (maybe it's the combined format that gives Black Ops good legs though)

Raide

Mrbob said:
380K for the 3DS then? If the DS is still selling like crazy Nintendo might be fighting against themselves.

"The Nintendo DS Family is selling the best in the world!!!"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So is Nintendo going to do something about 3DS demand before they launch their next console? Will there be new software that will set 3DS apart from the rest?

Htown said:

But we've already been told that sales fell off a cliff. Abandon ship, bail out, etc.

3DS needs a price drop and Mario Kart.

antonz

Mrbob said:

Same thing happened with the DS launch. GBA was selling insanely well. Hell GBA was selling insanely well into like 2007.

Nintendo just needs to get their major titles out for the consumer to see the need to migrate.

All in all the debut isnt terrible. DS launched during the holiday season and had 11 days of sales and only managed roughly 100K larger launch

Spiegel

So Capcom stuffed those retail channels again?

Because it doesn't seem like SSFIV is anywhere close to 1M, maybe 500k

Mrbob

20 dollar PSN card as the top selling accesory for the month, interesting. I guess PSN Store is doing alright for itself.

Cday

Banned
Welp, Homefront proves marketing can sell tons of games because I can't imagine the word of mouth for such a piece of shit would be very prevalent.

Alrus

jj984jj said:
So is Nintendo going to do something about 3DS demand before they launch their next console? Will there be new software that will set 3DS apart from the rest?

No, they're gonna forget it existed and stop all future development for it :)

NewFresh

Htown said:
With such a high install base with the DS, some are bound to upgrade as games begin to appear on the newer handheld

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Spiegel said:
So Capcom stuffed those retail channels again?

Because it doesn't seem like SSFIV is anywhere close to 1M, maybe 500k
The only positive thing is that it will have longer legs than usual.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Little dissapointed in 3DS sales, but the DS family sold over 700k units in March? This Holiday season is going to be crazy. 0_0

Elios83

Ouch at 3DS, Iwata will have some explaining to do.
PS3 should be around 350k considering the Sony comment about double digit growth (and assuming it at 10%).

Cruzader

Banned
Wow.

Nintendo with 1,2 punch! 3DS + DS gonna make a killing. 360 keeps on impressing as always and its good to know PS3 sold well since it states all consoles saw small growth? Great numbers overall.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Delriach said:
Wouldn't have been anything else.

Clearly the biggest name for the launch, Nintendogs would've been split into three titles most likely, for each breed.

Also I feel like Nintendo has been kind of bad as far as getting the message out to the public that "THIS IS THE NEXT THING AFTER THE DS". A surprising amount of people figure it's just another hardware revision. Maybe the whole DS->DSLite->DSi->DSiXL revision cycle is coming back to bite Nintendo in the ass.

They may have to put a bullet in the DS, Xbox style, to get the message across.

Having a giant Pokemon title launch in the same month probably didn't help either.

Top Bottom