• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

kswiston

This march was also pretty soft compared to last year when we had Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Pokemon remakes, and Bad Company 2. All of those did over a million in combined formatting. I would imagine that nothing this march sold 1M+ beyond pokemon, so Black Ops is listed higher than it would have been with similar sales last year.

NBA 2K11 sure has some legs in its sales. I can't remember the last time a yearly sports game sold this well at this late of a juncture.

Ouch, ~380k for 3DS. North America should be its strongest territory too. They're pushing 3D hard over here.

Also new NPD sucks :mad: It'd be more fun to just make up numbers and have a thread based on that, at this point.

Kusagari

Gully State said:
NBA 2K11 sure has some legs in its sales. I can't remember the last time a yearly sports game sold this well at this late of a juncture.

Should get another boost this month with the playoffs starting too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I find it also amazing that The Show charted despite the fairly big month for other SW releases. Glad to see that brand thriving more and more.

vicissitudes said:
Ouch, ~380k for 3DS. North America should be its strongest territory too. They're pushing 3D hard over here.

Also new NPD sucks :mad: It'd be more fun to just make up numbers and have a thread based on that, at this point.

Conflicting reports on 3DS numbers. Don't take 380k seriously yet.

donny2112

Gully State said:
Michael Jordan sure has some legs in its sales. I can't remember the last time a Michael Jordan basketball game sold this well at this late of a juncture.

Fixed that for you. Has there even ever been another Michael Jordan basketball game made? Did NBA Live have him in one year?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just want a ranking of the 3DS titles. I know numbers are too much to ask for nowadays.

From my very limited retail musings, I'm guessing:

1. Street Fighter 4
2. Nintendogs + Cats
3. Madden
4. PilotWings
5. Sims 3
6. Asphalt 3D
7. Ridge Racer
8. Steel Diver
9. Ghost Recon
10. Samurai Warriors

Pimpbaa

3DS is expensive and has a limited library (no must have games). Why were you expecting it to sell more? Same thing happened to the DS at first. Although I don't understand the jump in DS hardware sales.

donny2112 said:
Fixed that for you. Has there even ever been another Michael Jordan basketball game made? Did NBA Live have him in one year?
Jordan_vs_Bird_-_One_on_One_Coverart.png

Pimpbaa said:
3DS is expensive and has a limited library (no must have games). Why were you expecting it to sell more? Same thing happened to the DS at first. Although I don't understand the jump in DS hardware sales.

Pokemon-Black-White-DSi-Bundle.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AbsoluteZero said:
Fuck guys, when will you realize that Pokemon, like the Wii, is a fad?
Might be funnier without the lagging Wii sales.

antonz

Despite selling fewer hardware units in its debut month as compared to the DS, more units of 3DS software sold through retail this month than did DS software in November 2004."

This is the kind of thing that is a bright spot for 3rd parties etc. 3DS sold more software then a holiday released DS

Pimpbaa said:

Check the predictions thread. It's not just one or two people. I think the predictions ranged from ~450k to ~1300k.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
allan-bh said:
380K for 3DS sounds kinda low for me.
To be fair, a lot of people I know really want to buy one but they're waiting for the end of April (ie: the end of exams) or when Zelda comes out to get one.

Alrus

Pimpbaa said:

Pokemon.

Xbox 360 - 433,000 (Top Selling Console)
Nintendo 3DS - Slightly Under 400,000

Dear Nintendo.

Two hundred and forty nine us dollars = all aboard the fail train.

Loading times with cartridges, $40 games and an abysmal battery life are not the way to be successful.

Please fix these problems and I, along with millions more, will gladly exchange money with you.

1-D_FTW

Good god. Some people continually downward revise what's "decent" numbers for the 3DS launch. I've been as vocal as anyone about noticing the signs were awful for this thing selling gangbusters at launch. Beat that drum for months. But even I thought they'd have a mediocre March before things got ugly in April and May. Those numbers can't be spun. There was no supply constraint. That's your demand. That's what the masses think of that product, with that software, at those price points.

confuziz said:
I'll happily take a tag with 'I suck my own ****' if the DS outsells the 3DS. It just won't Donny, really.

LOL

Maybe the 380,000 is wrong. It seems impossible to think it bombed that hard.

Anita's analysis is quite interesting. We really can't compare DS to 3DS because of the launch date and price. Waiting until May/June to see how things go, both in Japan and US.

Mario Kart 3DS this holiday season is going to destroy everything though, no doubt about that.

I figured the 3DS was going to be a slow burner until Christmas. Anyone who expected tons of sell-through at this time of year to Nintendo's primary audience is stupid. Add in the price and lack of huge system-selling games and this is hardly surprising or cause for alarm. The transition to 3DS will be similar to the transition from GBA. It will take time, and the old platform has plenty of life left in it.

Nintendo HAS to get big software out in time for the holidays, however. Also, my biggest concern is that Joe Public will see the 3DS as another iteration of the DS line, and not a new platform. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nintendo went to the well once too often on these DS revisions and it might be a big problem for them with 3DS.

Lol Killzone 3. I had hope it would crack the top 10 the following month since Sony loves releasing their games midway or at the end of a month. NOPE! =/

jman2050

jamesinclair said:
Please fix these problems and I, along with millions more, will gladly exchange money with you.

But millions more will be exchanging money with them regardless as the year goes along.

Atomski

Stitch said:
huh i thought homefront bombed

Only scores bombed.. dudebros did not care though. I remember the day after release my local stores only had a couple copies left.

Crazy to see the DS go out with a bang..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sammy Samusu said:
Mario Kart 3DS this holiday season is going to destroy everything though, no doubt about that.

And The Next Holiday Season, And the next, and the one after that, and the two after that.

Top Bottom