• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Nameless

The best chance MS has of making a US comeback is convincing the shitload of 360 owners there still are to buy a one -- which, between BC and continuing to revolve their holiday lineup around Halo and/or Gears, is clearly their strategy.

Boke1879

Just now realizing that.........God Of War Remastered didn't chart top 10.

Pretty much expected honestly. Got pretty much no marketing outside of the Playstation Youtube channel. It's just something to fill a void and I would NOT be shocked if it was included in some sort of bundle for the holidays.

I'm sure it didn't even cost them anything to do.

Tapejara

Lego Avengers is early 2016. They do have Lego Dimensions though.

I knew I was forgetting something. Dimensions is a bit pricey compared to something like Disney Infinity/Skylanders, but I'd be surprised if it under-performed. They have a ton of great licenses attached.

EulaCapra

I wonder how Splatoon's marketing momentum is here in the States. I wonder if it just completely stopped 2 weeks after release because them kids might need reminding.

RdN

Did not expect Rory McIlroy to place to high... Game was very disappointing in my opinion, with The Golf Club being a way better option for those who enjoy the sport.

AwRy108

Man, with the crazy deals that Microsoft has been running on the XBone's--especially on their own online store--I thought for sure they take #1 this month. PS4 is just a freight train!

Lego Jurassic Park and PGA Golf just blew my mind this month.

Lego Jurassic Park I really want to play, PGA Golf I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot sand wedge.

Looks like a healthy month.

I wonder if the new Destiny will sell as well as the original next month.

It probably can't, because the fan base that stuck with it are going to buy the digital upgrade for 40USD. The only people buying the physical edition (the only one counted for NPDs) are people that haven't played Destiny yet at all, of the ones you stopped playing Vanilla Destiny and are jumping back in for all the changes, but need all the DLC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It makes me sick that PGA Tour sold that well. The game is an unfinished bugfest. Complete garbage.

Mahonay

Banned
The best chance MS has of making a US comeback is convincing the shitload of 360 owners there still are to buy a one -- which, between BC and continuing to revolve their holiday lineup around Halo and/or Gears, is clearly their strategy.
With a low price point and their holiday game lineup I can see the XB1 picking up a lot of those kids that still have 360s. Seems to be set up perfectly for it.

orochi91

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

Nice ;)

I am surprised the Lego games still sell so well, I feel like those games saturated the market with a yearly release. At this point it may have more games than Assassin Creed, or it does doesn't it?

Lego Star Wars
Lego Star Wars 2
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Star Wars Clone Wars
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Lego Rock Band
Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Lego Lord of the Rings
Lego Hobbit
Lego City Undercover
Lego City Undercover The Chase Begins
Lego Friends
Lego Legends of China Lavals Journey
Lego Ninjago Shadow of Ronin
Lego Ninjago Nindroids
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Lego the Movie the Game
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Mulholland Drive

And many more

Madao

I wonder how Splatoon's marketing momentum is here in the States. I wonder if it just completely stopped 2 weeks after release because them kids might need reminding.

considering how NoA seems to halfass everything and be incredibly penny pinching, i wouldn't be surprised ads stopped.

Melchiah

Surprised to see XBO lead on Destiny sales. Is there any particular reason for it?

“After 21 months, combined Xbox One and PS4 hardware unit sales are close to 50 percent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 after 21 months on the market,” said Callahan.

Yet there still seems to be a persistent belief, that the PS and XB console markets are shrinking.

big_z

Man, with the crazy deals that Microsoft has been running on the XBone's--especially on their own online store--I thought for sure they take #1 this month. PS4 is just a freight train!

Microsoft will take the back portion of the year again by a good amount and they'll make up the ground there. Similar to last year but this year they have a much stronger holiday lineup.

The monthly gap isn't very big anymore either. By next year I wouldn't be surprised to see the consoles bounce back an forth in the monthly sales. NPD Numbers have gotten very boring.

FoneBone

Good year for Warner Bros. Dying Light, Mortal Kombat X, Arkham Knight and now LEGO Jurassic World. What do they have for the rest of the year? LEGO Avengers?

Also, somewhat surprised PS4 was second last for LEGO Jurassic Sales. Guess the 360 is still doing well when it comes to "family" (edit: "family" was the better word choice) software.
WB has Mad Max and LEGO Dimensions for this year. LEGO Avengers was delayed to January.

Alebrije

Lego Star Wars
Lego Star Wars 2
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Star Wars Clone Wars
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Lego Rock Band
Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Lego Lord of the Rings
Lego Hobbit
Lego City Undercover
Lego City Undercover The Chase Begins
Lego Friends
Lego Legends of China Lavals Journey
Lego Ninjago Shadow of Ronin
Lego Ninjago Nindroids
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Lego the Movie the Game
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Mulholland Drive

And many more

I wonder how this represents for Lego company compared to the Lego traditional business , but yea it seems the videogame area is very profitable to them.

Santiako

what if it didn't sell well

guys what if the wii u didn't sell well this month

9m0n7SK.gif

Hawk269

I think that is the whole reason for Phil going after BC. I think Phil realizes like many of us that they need to turn that massive 360 crowd into Xbox One owners and letting them bring over their 360 library with them it would be a big win.

That and the big push for 1st party/exclusive games. I think the more they make games for themselves the better for them. They know that a 3rd party game will, for the most part be a little better on the PS4 due to the hardware differences, but an exclusive game there is no comparison etc.

Vena

85k is fairly comparable to performance in software to Japan, sans the summer vacation bump timing, so its pulling ~21k week on the month which isn't far from Japan's numbers. The bigger difference is that in the NPD, Splatoon isn't moving hardware like it is in MC for Japan. Japan is, however, enjoying continued advertisement and development with/for fans for Splatoon, though the same is still somewhat happening in NA its not to the same degree.

Splatoon, in Japan, is a reason to buy the console and play the game and will potentially synergize really well with SMM (if minecraft is any apriori indication). In NA and, probably, EU, not so much as the game hasn't quite gotten the same sort of "life of its own" evolution which may or may not be simply part of how strength of word of mouth varies between here and there.

De_Legend

Banned
Microsoft will take the back portion of the year again by a good amount and they'll make up the ground there. Similar to last year but this year they have a much stronger holiday lineup.

The monthly gap isn't very big anymore either. By next year I wouldn't be surprised to see the consoles bounce back an forth in the monthly sales.

2016 will probably be the best year of the PS4, I don't think MS will be able to match that, but we'll see.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Surprised to see XBO lead on Destiny sales. Is there any particular reason for it?

Yet there still seems to be a persistent belief, that the PS and XB console markets are shrinking.

I think the issue for me is that the overall Gen 8 totals are currently under even Gen 6. That shows that the core console market is contracting to me because it disregards the Wii. This is a scary chart below. Smartphones/iPads, to me, are eating the console's lunch by far. Sure the top 2 consoles are killing it comparatively, but that's a pretty narrow view.

rxDJw.jpg

Top Bottom