• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Chobel

Wanna know how monster is GTAV? Well...
YeWqoMA.png

EIMLU6y.png

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/631972336934223872

NolbertoS

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

Satire posts are a dime a dozen. You gotta try harder, man. Make me believe :p

And it's NPD time :D. Can't wait for those cream pies :)

Wow at Destiny charting. The way some people on GAF talked about it you'd think it was a flop on the level of Titanfall (which wasn't a flop either, but that's the narrative)...

Boke1879

2016 will probably be the best year of the PS4, I don't think MS will be able to match that, but we'll see.

Very possible the One Beats PS4 this holiday but some act like the PS4 either won't sell or won't have a plan going into the holiday.

PS4 has options. 2 BIG bundles and if they wanted they could drop the price. I don't think they will though. Just have a bundle with COD and battlefront and maybe toss in another game for the holiday. Sony is more interested in their bottom line PS4 will sell well this holiday.

Next year I agree. If Uncharted, SFV and Ratchet launch early next year thats a tough set of games to go against. Also we could potentially see Horizon and FF15 next year as well.

Melchiah

Theres a belief that overall console market is shrinking and that't true. Don't know why some people excludes Nintendo.

Because the PS4 and XBO are selling better than their predecessors, which means the market that Nintendo lost didn't affect them. At least so far.

Hawk269

Glad to see ESO continue to sell well. This makes things better for the community as there is a fresh batch of new people joining all the time and gives Zenimax to really focus on delivering the DLC they have announced and continue to improve the game.

impact

Banned
Wow at Destiny charting. The way some people on GAF talked about it you'd think it was a flop on the level of Titanfall (which wasn't a flop either, but that's the narrative)...

Never seen anyone say this, most of the time Destiny gets ripped it's for the actual game and how repetitive the gameplay is.

Lego on PS4 selling 2nd worst is really odd.

Also top platform for Destiny and ESO (again) are Xbox One. Weird charts.

I think it's just the crowd, when I look at my friends list on Xbox one the most commonly played titles are multiplayer games so it doesn't shock me

The Taken King hype seems to be getting tons of people back on board with Destiny.

Everything they've said sounds so damn good. Pls deliver Bungie

De_Legend

Banned
Very possible the One Beats PS4 this holiday but some act like the PS4 either won't sell or won't have a plan going into the holiday.

PS4 has options. 2 BIG bundles and if they wanted they could drop the price. I don't think they will though. Just have a bundle with COD and battlefront and maybe toss in another game for the holiday. Sony is more interested in their bottom line PS4 will sell well this holiday.

Next year I agree. If Uncharted, SFV and Ratchet launch early next year thats a tough set of games to go against. Also we could potentially see Horizon and FF15 next year as well.

Yeah, it's possible for MS this holiday. But then again if the PS4 got a price drop, it will be very hard for the competition, and if not they at least got a few bundles that will do miracles.

Early 2016 will be big for Sony though with all the games you mentionned, 3rd party stuff + maybe a price drop if it does not happen this holiday.

Boke1879

When Xbone has chance to beat PS4 in NPD's? November or December? At this rate it won't be until then.

Halo launches later October and has a limited edition console bundle. I feel that's the best chance it has to beat the PS4 until Nov. Dec.

Also I'm wondering how big this best buy sale will help the Xbox 1 this month.

I like how people compare USA sales being similar to Japan for splatoon. There is a huge difference in market size. Splatoon is a huge hit in Japan for a console game, while in the USA it's selling just good enough for a console game.

GTSweet

Neo Member
When Xbone has chance to beat PS4 in NPD's? November or December? At this rate it won't be until then.

I'd say they have a shot in August, no shot in September.

August has Rare Replay, Gears Remastered (w/bundle), Madden (w/bundle) and this Best Buy TV deal that seems to be doing very well.

Not guaranteed... but definitely possible with no major PS4 releases and Batman inevitably dropping.

vin-buc

I wonder what PS4/CoD Dlc/marketing/bundle does for new gen converts. Although Xbox has those nostalgic games and some BC titles - losing one of the biggest sellers of the year has to be a deep thorn to Xbox's side. Especially when that association was there. Interesting times ahead.

Lego Star Wars
Lego Star Wars 2
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Star Wars Clone Wars
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Lego Rock Band
Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7
Lego Lord of the Rings
Lego Hobbit
Lego City Undercover
Lego City Undercover The Chase Begins
Lego Friends
Lego Legends of China Lavals Journey
Lego Ninjago Shadow of Ronin
Lego Ninjago Nindroids
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Lego the Movie the Game
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Mulholland Drive

And many more

Yep. Jesus.

Boke1879

Yeah, it's possible for MS this holiday. But then again if the PS4 got a price drop, it will be very hard for the competition, and if not they at least got a few bundles that will do miracles.

Early 2016 will be big for Sony though with all the games you mentionned, 3rd party stuff + maybe a price drop if it does not happen this holiday.

Something tells me they won't drop this price this holiday. Batman Bundle seems to be doing well for them and I'm sure with MGSV and the TKK bundle in sept. they'll take that month pretty convincingly.

With bundles doing so well for them and them selling so well. They most likely won't drop the price.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Minecraft man. hollyshit.

Witcher 3 should have been up there.

I wonder what PS4/CoD Dlc/marketing/bundle does for new gen converts. Although Xbox has those nostalgic games and some BC titles - losing one of the biggest sellers of the year has to be a deep thorn to Xbox's side. Especially when that association was there. Interesting times ahead.

COD is associated with Xbox, years of marketing and money has been spent on that. Just because its market on PS4 is not going to make everything turn. It will sell great on both hardware.

same thing for MGS V. if Microsoft had marketing rights for MGS V, it would 't make that much of a difference.

oSoLucky

Never seen anyone say this, most of the time Destiny gets ripped it's for the actual game and how repetitive the gameplay is.

There were people painting the narrative that it was a disappointment since Activision never released numbers. That seems to have mostly died down recently though.

Welfare

Halo 5 comes out in October but at the end. Uncharted Trilogy comes out in the beginning of October.
So it's possible it can go either way, Uncharted has more time though.

Uncharted, let alone a collection of old Uncharted's, won't do much in the US for hardware sales.

Melchiah

I think the issue for me is that the overall Gen 8 totals are currently under even Gen 6. That shows that the core console market is contracting to me because it disregards the Wii. This is a scary chart below. Smartphones/iPads, to me, are eating the console's lunch by far. Sure the top 2 consoles are killing it comparatively, but that's a pretty narrow view.

rxDJw.jpg

The forecast seems be on par with gen 6 though, and I don't think there would have been such a rise from gen 6 to gen 7 without the new Wii audience. Based on the current gen hardware sales, the PS and XB platforms have remained unscathed by the market shrinking, unlike Nintendo.

It's more the overall market shrinking due to how poorly the WiiU is doing compared to its predecessor.

That's why I find it misleading, that its misfortunes are applied to the market as a whole, eventhough the two other platforms' sales paint a different picture.

The forecast seems be on par with gen 6 though, and I don't think there would have been such a rise from gen 6 to gen 7 without the new Wii audience. Based on the current gen hardware sales, the PS and XB platforms have remained unscathed by the market shrinking, unlike Nintendo.

That's why I find it misleading, that its misfortunes are applied to the market as a whole, eventhough the two other platforms' sales paint a different picture.
except gen 8 is down its first three years when compared to gen 6?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

Note that Dreamcast isn't in that chart, so that hurts this gen too.

WinFonda

By next year I wouldn't be surprised to see the consoles bounce back an forth in the monthly sales. NPD Numbers have gotten very boring.
I dun think so. PS4 will dominate even more from where I'm sitting; with a price drop, morpheus, and their first real commercial game line up all coalescing. And to add to that, PS4 has established so much staying power with its huge 3rd party marketing deals. It's literally going to take small miracles for Microsoft to get the upperhand on any of that.

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.
Had this one typed up in advance, huh?

Mooreberg

Kind of a predictable month. Interesting to see Destiny back in there. Came out six months before Battlefield Hardline, but it is sticking around longer. I wonder if more people are migrating to co-op shooters after years of multiplayer. GTA V seems like it is going to hang around forever.

Melchiah

except gen 8 is down its first three years when compared to gen 6?

And gen 7 was down from gen 6 during the first three years as well.

EDIT:
Note that Dreamcast isn't in that chart, so that hurts this gen too.

Dunno about that, as I'd wager most DC owners bought another system when it was discontinued. I could be wrong, but I have a faint recollection of ZhugeEX saying something similar.

AniHawk

microsoft and sony aren't going to sell as much hardware this gen as they did in gen 7. they might do a combined effort for gen 6, maybe. gen 6 and 7 saw growth for all parties involved (except sega in gen 7 for obvious reasons) though.

Top Bottom