• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

farnham

Banned
not related to NPDs but due to the dragon quest x and hori yuji comments : is armor project completely 100% independant from square enix ?

AniHawk

Beer Monkey said:
Looking at the overall drop in sales I'm definitely thinking that next-gen starts in 2012. Which means this gen lasted 7 years before a succeeding gen's hardware launched, which is still longer than the PS1/Saturn/N64 gen or the PS2/Xbox/GCN gen.

PS2/Xbox/GCN gen started in 1998 because it's the DC/PS2/Xbox/GCN gen.

So... 7 years there too.

farnham said:
not related to NPDs but due to the dragon quest x and hori yuji comments : is armor project completely 100% independant from square enix ?
Yes and no. Horii owns the company, but they have an exclusive contract with Enix that goes back to the Famicom days.

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes and no. Horii owns the company, but they have an exclusive contract with Enix that goes back to the Famicom days.
well that means he (i assume armor project is just hori yuji) is only contractually obligated but owns the IP fully. maybe he will have to pay some money if he breeches the publishing contract and goes to sega or whatever (like that poster suggested) but he is still free to do so.

farnham said:
well that means he (i assume armor project is just hori yuji) is only contractually obligated but owns the IP fully. maybe he will have to pay some money if he breeches the publishing contract and goes to sega or whatever (like that poster suggested) but he is still free to do so.
The thing is, it's a ridiculous what-if scenario. Neither Horii nor SE are at all unhappy with their working relationship. Both parties benefit massively from the deal and I can't imagine anything souring them at this point.

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
The thing is, it's a ridiculous what-if scenario. Neither Horii nor SE are at all unhappy with their working relationship. Both parties benefit massively from the deal and I can't imagine anything souring them at this point.
yes of course it is. i just wanted to check the power balance.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
farnham said:
What are you even suggesting ?

AniHawk

So what if Square Enix stole the Almanac and traveled back to 1955 to give it to a younger version of themselves. Would they be able to put DQX on any system they wanted then?

NeonZ

EAD 1 (Mario Kart, Nintendogs): Mario Kart 3DS, Nintendogs + Cats
EAD 2 (Animal Crossing, Wii Sports): Animal Crossing 3DS, Pilotwings Resort
EAD 3 (Zelda series): Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time 3DS
EAD 4 (NSMB series): Pikmin 3
EAD 5 (Wii Fit series): Wii Relax?
Comprehensive Software Development (Pac-Man vs., SM64 DS): Star Fox 64 3DS, Steel Diver
Intelligent Systems: Paper Mario
Project Sora: Kid Icarus
Retro Studios and SPD 3: Donkey Kong Country Returns

EAD Tokyo, Monolith, Nd Cube, parts of Intelligent Systems, and SPD 1 are total guesses. SPD 2, NST, and Brownie Brown are pretty much handheld-only teams.

That still would leave open, based on your own list:

EAD Tokyo
Monolith
Nd Cube
Intelligent Systems
SPD1

And I'd add EAD 4 too. Last time we heard about Pikmin 3, wasn't there only three people working on it? That sounds like the kind of project that could be turned into something else or never see the light of the day. Besides, as long as we're talking about really late 2011 (December), there isn't that much difference from early 2012.

AniHawk said:
So what if Square Enix stole the Almanac and traveled back to 1955 to give it to a younger version of themselves. Would they be able to put DQX on any system they wanted then?
No, but Horii would probably be dead and Tetsuya Nomura would have fake tits.

FrankT

Road said:
Vg247 has 87k for NCAA11 (360) and 101k for MW2 (360), but I'm not sure how reliable those are.

Nintendo didn't even bother to do a PR, did they?

That should make for a rough top 20 as evidence with the 14% drop for the month.

farnham

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
What are you even suggesting ?
someone assumed that SE has full IP control over DQ. Segata explained Armor Project owns the IP fully. That guy said that SE could just kick DQ out of their lineup and force Armor Project to work with NB and Sega. I was just trying to think about that (unrealistic) scenario.

farnham

Banned
NeonZ said:

EAD Tokyo
Monolith
Nd Cube
Intelligent Systems
SPD1
EAD Tokyo just finished Mario Galaxy 2, Monolith just finished Xenoblade, ND Cube just finished Wii Party and SPD1 is probably working on some Wario Ware game for 3DS. IS makes Paper Mario and just finished FEDS2.

NeonZ said:
And I'd add EAD 4 too. Last time we heard about Pikmin 3, wasn't there only three people working on it? That sounds like the kind of project that could be turned into something else or never see the light of the day. Besides, as long as we're talking about really late 2011 (December), there isn't that much difference from early 2012.

the way nintendo develops stuff is

make a basic demo -> get miyamoto approval -> develop into a full game

there was a comment of miyamoto that they are finished with developing the demo (it was before this years e3 btw) so i guess its in full production now.

LM4sure

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
Looking at the overall drop in sales I'm definitely thinking that next-gen starts in 2012. Which means this gen lasted 7 years before a succeeding gen's hardware launched, which is still longer than the PS1/Saturn/N64 gen or the PS2/Xbox/GCN gen.

I'm not so sure about this. What would the next generation bring that can't be done on the PS3 or 360? Graphics are still fairly comparable to PC graphics, 3d support is available (at least for the PS3, not sure about the 360), Sony and Microsoft are both rolling out their motion control garbage, etc.

What would a new console have to offer? Slightly better graphics? That won't sell me.

Vinci

Danish
charlequin said:
Yeah, neither of those words is really accurate. The issue with Nintendo's console strategy here really has nothing to do with the Wii (whose overall success is assured no matter how badly they botch its last year) and much more to do with their strategy going forward: can Nintendo learn from the mistakes they've made with this system and more successfully capture the entire market next time around?

I'm not denying that Nintendo made mistakes this generation, as they did. Many, in fact. But I think, all things considered, the Wii's success is utterly remarkable - and short of some changes of scheduling and adding in the support of smaller 3rd party entities which showed an interest in the system, I don't think they ever had any real chance of capturing the entire market this time. But yes, if they're able to determine which mistakes they made and apply what they've learned to next generation... short of utter stupidity or stubbornness on the part of Western 3rd parties, they should have a pretty fair shot at capturing the entire market.

The one fly in the ointment - that will likely always be there - is Microsoft. I just don't see anyone capturing the market anywhere near the domination levels the PS2 enjoyed again with MS this heavily involved in development. Of course you never suggested PS2 levels; it's just something I've been considering. MS really skews the playing field horribly.

LM4sure said:
What would a new console have to offer? Slightly better graphics? That won't sell me.

This is why I want to see what Nintendo has in mind. The other two are far more predictable.

Jewbacca

Banned
Beer Monkey said:

Possible, but this is what I think will happen. Nintentdo will follow closely the impact of Move and Kinect and then decide the next move.
If they really impact this Christmas then Nintendo will aggressively price the Wii to buy themselves more time before stabbing it with its successor. I could see the Wii take a price drop to 149.99 in March and the old classic Wii that are still in retail channels for 99.99.

Then you will see a slow roll out of information WiiHD stuff, and when I mean slow I mean you will hear a whimper of it at next years 2011 E3, then the coverage will ramp up to E3 2012 and maybe a Fall 2012 release for the new Wii. I dont think Sony and Microsoft will feel the pressure because I can't forsee anything that Nintendo can offer that will blow the doors off the industry and can't be matched in software updates from MS/Sony.

This puts Nintendo in a really poor position if they ever so slightly faulter, and it gives Sony and MS time to do WHATEVER the fuck they want with their next consoles.

You have to realize that this Year to Year decreases are because the Wii is starting to sputter, not because of a generation decline, and when I say sputter I am not by any means saying the Wii is failing, but I am saying that it is not the powerhouse it was the past 2-3 yrs.

I could be wrong, but i feel it is logical.

radcliff

When Nintendo unveiled Metroid: OM, they said other 3rd parties were open to these types of collaborations. So instead of getting 3rd parties to put their IPs on Wii (something they seem unwilling to do), maybe they are using 3rd parties make games based on Nintendo’s own IPs. Maybe team Alpha Dream up with Square-Enix or Level 5 to make a Wii Mario RPG, or a collaboration with Q Games for a new Wii Starfox.

Also, there is nothing stoping Ninendo from working again with Good Feel, Next Level Games, and Monster. Based on when their last games were released, both Next Level and Monster (F Zero?) could have something ready next year. Both Retro and Good Feel can have DKC 2 and maybe a Yoshi’s Island ready for 2012.

Miyamoto also said he is working on a new IP (or at least a new character). I can see this coming from Takao Shimizu in EAD Tokyo since his name was absent in Galaxy 2’s credits. He must be working on something. Maybe its this new game, a game Miyamoto said is almost close to being unveiled.

So while we only know of Mario Sports Mix and Zelda for 2011, Nintendo could also release Wii Relax, Pikmin, F Zero, Xenoblade (in US), Last Story (again, in US), Next Level’s game, and Miyamoto’s new IP. Then in 2012, Nintendo can release Mario RPG, DKC 2, Yoshi’s Island, Wii Party 2 (nd Cube), Dragon Quest, & Starfox. There may not be big hitters in there, but it will keep the already large installed base happy.

Now, this is all just speculation, of course. But I don’t think Nintendo is out of options in terms of Wii releases.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
A pay to play Demo only did 225k in its first month, shouldn't that be holy shit!??

Most people aren't putting this in perspective. GT5:p is not GT5. If GT5:p is any indication of anything, it's that GT5 will be the best selling installment of the GT franchise since GT3. especially when you take into account that 5's prologue is the highest selling prologue in the whole damn series.

Since there has never been a Prologue reported in NDP it's the *only* selling one in the series.

Snuggler said:
I think it'll do a little better than that. I was saying God of War 3 would do those numbers in the first month, but I was so wrong. I'd predict around a million in the first month of Grand Turino 5, it will do good for a PS3 game.

What competition did God of War have releasing at the beginning of the year? GT5 is releasing in November along with a bunch of other high profile titles like Call of Duty Black Ops. Time will tell. Most of GT's previous sales have come from pack in bundles which NPD doesn't count.

Vinci

Danish
Jewbacca said:
You have to realize that this Year to Year decreases are because the Wii is starting to sputter, not because of a generation decline.

I could be wrong, but i feel it is logical.

The Wii is starting to sputter because it is the market leader without the software usually available on the market leader; the PS3 and 360 are, likewise, mutant consoles - in that they are losing consoles that receive market leader treatment.

As has been proven before: It's about software. Usually the market leader gets the most. This time, it didn't. That's why things are all over the place this gen.

farnham

Banned
radcliff said:
When Nintendo unveiled Metroid: OM, they said other 3rd parties were open to these types of collaborations. So instead of getting 3rd parties to put their IPs on Wii (something they seem unwilling to do), maybe they are using 3rd parties make games based on Nintendo’s own IPs. Maybe team Alpha Dream up with Square-Enix or Level 5 to make a Wii Mario RPG, or a collaboration with Q Games for a new Wii Starfox. .

they did this a lot last gen but it is risky since it can backfire (starfox assault)

its definately a better way then waiting for thirdparties to come to them.
radcliff said:
Also, there is nothing stoping Ninendo from working again with Good Feel, Next Level Games, and Monster. Based on when their last games were released, both Next Level and Monster (F Zero?) could have something ready next year. Both Retro and Good Feel can have DKC 2 and maybe a Yoshi’s Island ready for 2012..

Yeah i think NLG, Monster and Kuju might have something for Wii. We dont know of course

radcliff

farnham said:
they did this a lot last gen but it is risky since it can backfire (starfox assault)

its definately a better way then waiting for thirdparties to come to them.

Yeah i think NLG, Monster and Kuju might have something for Wii. We dont know of course

I remember reading once that it was Miaymoto's idea to have all those on-ground missions in Starfox Assault. If this is true, then it would have been the same even if EAD made the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
farnham said:

Next Level Games is working on Ghost Recon Wii, and Headstrong (the section of Kuju that does Wii stuff) is working on Aragorn's Quest for Wii. So I wouldn't expect any Nintendo-published products from them anytime soon.

Bizzyb

Banned
Vinci said:
So you're suggesting that S-E is going to pass on publishing Dragon Quest because their perspective on which system it goes to doesn't match Horii's? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. If Horii says it goes somewhere, it goes there. Period. S-E doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds it, and DQ feeds it more than everything else it produces outside of Final Fantasy.

They both have to work with each other but it's SE's Money that is making Horji's dream come true. Ultimately Horji needs SE to ensure that his vision can come together they way he wants. SE has the money and connections that other publishers simply don't have. If SE does not want DQX to be on Wii because they feel it would be a waste of their money then that is something Horji would have to come to terms with. Horji owns no allegiance to Wii. If it is decided by SE that the game could do better on a New console with much more buzz behind it and stronger possible sales than Wii then it WILL move from Wii

AniHawk said:
I think the other issue is that this stuff doesn't exist in a vacuum. Nintendo will need to have nailed down or at least come close to nailing down next system specs. That means if they have (early) 2010 tech in their new system, they won't have had a ton of time to get everything in gear.

Wii 2 will have Xbox 360 + tech inside of it. that's what, 2006 or 2007 tech? Nintendo won't have much if any 2010 tech in their system. They aren't going to make that huge of a leap. They never have. Wii is essentially 2005 tech considering is slightly more powerful than the Gamecube which has even OLDER tech inside it.

apana

The decline of starfox has mostly been Nintendo's fault. Miyamoto is the one who wanted a bunch of land missions.

farnham

Banned
radcliff said:
I remember reading once that it was Miaymoto's idea to have all those on-ground missions in Starfox Assault. If this is true, then it would have been the same even if EAD made the game.
its not about the idea
its about execution

AniHawk

NeonZ said:

EAD Tokyo
Monolith
Nd Cube
Intelligent Systems
SPD1

My guesses:
EAD Tokyo moves at a rate of about 1 game every 2.5 years. They're probably doing another 3D Mario game, probably angling for a 2012 Spring or Holiday release.

Monolith Soft is harder to gauge. Dunno if they have a dedicated console team and a dedicated handheld team. If they do, it'll be another 2 years at the earliest before we see something from them (just judging the BKO-Disaster-Xenoblade timeframe), if not then it's possible they could have had a group working on a new console game while a team did the DS games and another team made Xenoblade.

Nd Cube just finished Wii Party after more than a half-decade of nothing. Depending on the type of game, they could have something for launch (they might wind up being Nintendo's Mario Party replacement guys)

Intelligent Systems is hard to place, since they work with other teams in Nintendo. They've been remaking Fire Emblem on the DS, so you'd think that would continue onto the 3DS with FE4r, and they're doing Paper Mario right now. They haven't done a full-fledged console game since Radiant Dawn.

SPD 1 is probably doing Wario Ware for the new handheld and console in that order, probably with the rest of Intelligent Systems helping out.

March 2012 would be 4-5 months of extra time to get everything all set. It would mean the likely candidates to have games ready for launch or launch window would expand from potentially just SPD 1 and Nd Cube to include EAD 2 and EAD Tokyo.

Vinci

Danish
Bizzyb said:
They both have to work with each other but it's SE's Money that is making Horji's dream come true. Ultimately Horji needs SE to ensure that his vision can come together they way he wants. SE has the money and connections that other publishers simply don't have. If SE does not want DQX to be on Wii because they feel it would be a waste of their money then that is something Horji would have to come to terms with. Horji owns no allegiance to Wii. If it is decided by SE that the game could do better on a New console with much more buzz behind it and stronger possible sales than Wii then it WILL move from Wii

If S-E decides to try to strong-arm Horii, he could easily - and I'm talking very, very easily - get DQ published by another entity. Hell, he could make it a floating franchise, only having it published by the hardware manufacturer whose system it will appear on... and it would happen. You are sorely mistaking how insanely important DQ is in Japan. It is likely the most beloved IP in the entire country.

farnham

Banned
Bizzyb said:
wow. so you have intel about what hori yuji is planning ? because last time i heard about him he said that DQX on Wii will come sooner then we think

cw_sasuke

Bizzyb said:

notsureifserious.gif

LM4sure

Banned
Bizzyb said:

Dude, just let it go. You're wrong. You're only digging a bigger hole for yourself.

FoneBone

Bizzyb said:
Wii 2 will have Xbox 360 + tech inside of it. that's what, 2006 or 2007 tech? Nintendo won't have much if any 2010 tech in their system. They aren't going to make that huge of a leap. They never have. Wii is essentially 2005 tech considering is slightly more powerful than the Gamecube which has even OLDER tech inside it.
2006-level power isn't the same as "2006 tech". They'd be using much newer chipsets, in all likelihood.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
cgcg said:
Actually let him. So far everything happened the opposite of what he predicted. "OMG no way GT5's going to have more than one car on a track with that kinda detail." :lol :lol :lol

So basically this is a confirmation that GT5 will sell a lot of systems.

Confirmed!

Last E3 and fall, when everyone was predicting a December launch of GT5, I said it wasn't going to come out in 2009. Ban bets were bandied about, etc. Folks ate crow.

Not saying GT5 isn't going to sell like hotcakes. It will. But when I say that GT5 isn't going to sell systems, it means we probably won't see a systems sales spike like when a price cut happens, a new console SKU releases, or the arrival of a AAA shooter like COD.

Question for sales-age: What was the last console spike that PS3 enjoyed and what is believed to have caused it?

ginban_kaleidoscope.gif

Bizzyb

Banned
Vinci said:
If S-E decides to try to strong-arm Horii, he could easily - and I'm talking very, very easily - get DQ published by another entity. Hell, he could make it a floating franchise, only having it published by the hardware manufacturer whose system it will appear on... and it would happen. You are sorely mistaking how insanely important DQ is in Japan. It is likely the most beloved IP in the entire country.

there is no other publisher than SE that he would most likely want to work with. they have the Bank, The connections and the muscle.

FrankT

chespace said:
Last E3 and fall, when everyone was predicting a December launch of GT5, I said it wasn't going to come out in 2009. Ban bets were bandied about, etc. Folks ate crow.

Not saying GT5 isn't going to sell like hotcakes. It will. But when I say that GT5 isn't going to sell systems, it means we probably won't see a systems sales spike like when a price cut happens, a new console SKU releases, or the arrival of a AAA shooter like COD.

Question for sales-age: What was the last console spike that PS3 enjoyed and what is believed to have caused it?

Decent spike from May to June likely from pent up demand post GOW III was my theory at the time(Sony marked it as the end of shortages). Really the best spike it has had was Sept last year with the Slim/price cut.

AniHawk

chespace said:

It's going to be sorta hard to tell with the holiday season in effect anyway.

Price drop + slim. Kinda similar to the 360's current place actually.

Koren

apana said:
The decline of starfox has mostly been Nintendo's fault. Miyamoto is the one who wanted a bunch of land missions.
I have no problem with land missions. The tank in Starfox 64 is great. Actually, the mission with the train is one of the best missions in the game, I think.

Still, people expect a 3D shmup, not anything else.

Bizzyb said:
They both have to work with each other but it's SE's Money
Err... As other have said, should there be a divergence of views between Hori and S-E, Hori can leave S-E without ever thinking about it. If he goes to Nintendo, asking for a producer for DQ, Iwata will get the money in the second. The game weight far too much for anyone to turn him down.

And considering the amount of cash DQ can bring, I doubt S-E want to lose its publishing rights on it.

KingDizzi

Banned
chespace said:

Any idea what Forza 3 has sold in NA? Hoping it's done well there but whatever the case it's done really well in the UK and assume the whole of EU. NFS also don't seem to do that well anymore in NA so here's to hoping NFS:HP and GT5 do big numbers in NA. While not catering to exactly the same audience GT5 and NFS:HP releasing within 2 weeks of each other seems a silly decision, one is a sim and the other arcade however will be crossover in audience.

farnham

Banned
Koren said:
Err... As other have said, should there be a divergence of views between Hori and S-E, Hori can leave S-E without ever thinking about it. If he goes to Nintendo, asking for a producer for DQ, Iwata will get the money in the second. The game weight far too much for anyone to turn him down.

And considering the amount of cash DQ can bring, I doubt S-E want to lose its publishing rights on it.
But Nintendo has no muscle, connection or bank.

apana

I think we should also remember that the original donkey kong country sold like 8 million and that's not to mention what effect wii party, kirby, and epic mickey could have. How many Wii's are Nintendo expecting to sell this year? Wont they still manage to outsell the ps2's best year?

Spike

Monty Mole said:
Not a tide shift, but we've seen how DS revisions can boost hardware. Not to mention 360/PS3 slim.

It's good to see Nintendo finally making more of an effort with their core franchises. Metroid, SMG2 and games like Kirby, Zelda, DKC on the way. However, I do feel it's too little too late.

For the best selling system this gen?

Cornbread78

AniHawk said:
It's going to be sorta hard to tell with the holiday season in effect anyway.
Price drop + slim. Kinda similar to the 360's current place actually.

Is it too far off to say the system with the best price point and or bundle will lead the holiday for sales?

"Value" may dictate sales here.

cw_sasuke

People are writing off the Wii, when Just Dance 2 is about to be released....

Segata Sanshiro said:
Whatever. You're right, Square-Enix would totally tell Horii to fuck off and take his little Dragon Quest thing elsewhere just for wanting to put his game on the system with the highest install base.
Yeah but what about Horji

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
KingDizzi said:
Any idea what Forza 3 has sold in NA? Hoping it's done well there but whatever the case it's done really well in the UK and assume the whole of EU. NFS also don't seem to do that well anymore in NA so here's to hoping NFS:HP and GT5 do big numbers in NA. While not catering to exactly the same audience GT5 and NFS:HP releasing within 2 weeks of each other seems a silly decision, one is a sim and the other arcade however will be crossover in audience.

I don't have the exact number anymore for NA so I don't want to get slapped. But it sold very well in NA, and the WW sales figures were split kind of down the middle between NA and Europe.

Euroland loves racing games. Which is awesome.

Top Bottom