• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

Owzers

This thread got weird. I liked it better when we were talking about how poorly a lot of games sold. Kane and Lynch 2 should have either not existed or been a $15ish multiplayer player only downloadable game. I don't think anyone was clamoring for a shaky-cam 4 hour storyline.

Spike

Vic said:
What the hell is coming out for the Wii after Zelda, excluding DQX?

Their next gen system?

Segata Sanshiro said:
like, you know how when a guy doesn't catch something at first it's funny, but then as time goes on and the guy still doesn't catch it, it just kind of gets hard to watch?

:lol Segata, you are on fire lately. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Bizzyb said:
there is no other publisher than SE that he would most likely want to work with. they have the Bank, The connections and the muscle.

Oh yeah, you're right.... and how did SE become that important again? DQ and Final Fantasy. Which one is celebrated as a national holiday upon its release? DQ. The series is a national treasure in Japan. SE is never, ever going to do anything to cause Horii problems so long as this remains true.

Quit treating DQ like just another series. It's not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
There's that word again! Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull?

Play The Warriors for all new uses of the word heavy.

Also wtf is up with DQ sales discussion making people crazy? Its one of the least confusing game series to figure out even with the surprise DS announcement of IX.

Spike

Vinci said:
The Wii is starting to sputter because it is the market leader without the software usually available on the market leader; the PS3 and 360 are, likewise, mutant consoles - in that they are losing consoles that receive market leader treatment.

As has been proven before: It's about software. Usually the market leader gets the most. This time, it didn't. That's why things are all over the place this gen.

The reason the Wii isn't getting the software this gen is simply because it is different. The PS3/360 holds greater appeal for developers because they are technologically closer in specs so they can code and easily port between them and have the added bonus of a PC port if they want, whereas with the Wii they would need to work from the ground up on its own version.

Spike

Bizzyb said:
Wii 2 will have Xbox 360 + tech inside of it. that's what, 2006 or 2007 tech? Nintendo won't have much if any 2010 tech in their system. They aren't going to make that huge of a leap. They never have. Wii is essentially 2005 tech considering is slightly more powerful than the Gamecube which has even OLDER tech inside it.

You are making yourself look like a fool. Please, just stop.

Boney

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Next Level Games is working on Ghost Recon Wii, and Headstrong (the section of Kuju that does Wii stuff) is working on Aragorn's Quest for Wii. So I wouldn't expect any Nintendo-published products from them anytime soon.
Isn't Headstrong making 3 3DS games?

My point it that if they play their cards right, they'll only need 2 big hitters to launch they're new console like Wii Sports/Zelda combo.

EAD Tokyo can fill the hardcore spot and move something like Wii Relax or something like that. They can start preproducing some games while they prepare their 3DS games, and work with second parties like Monster games to strengthen the line up, and get some 3rd parties on board like the 3DS.

It's in their best interest to get a new console fiscal year 2011, and you bet your ass they're seeing if it's a possible scenario.

This thread seems to forget the success, that could be Wii Party.

People seem to be saying Nintendo is banking on DK. I believe Wii Party would be the better bet.

JaxJag

Banned
Vinci said:
The Wii is starting to sputter because it is the market leader without the software usually available on the market leader; the PS3 and 360 are, likewise, mutant consoles - in that they are losing consoles that receive market leader treatment.

As has been proven before: It's about software. Usually the market leader gets the most. This time, it didn't. That's why things are all over the place this gen.
I agree, I think the lack of good software on the Wii is going to keep the system from having the longevity of a PS2.

Vinci

Danish
Spike said:
The reason the Wii isn't getting the software this gen is simply because it is different. The PS3/360 holds greater appeal for developers because they are technologically closer in specs so they can code and easily port between them and have the added bonus of a PC port if they want, whereas with the Wii they would need to work from the ground up on its own version.

The push for multi-platform is in response to this gen, not something that was intended from the start. The reason the Wii isn't getting software is for a multitude of reasons - some of which are a result of last-generation's results and MS's entry into the market - but one of them is that developers simply don't want to code on a platform as weak as the Wii.

Spike

JaxJag said:
I agree, I think the lack of good software on the Wii is going to keep the system from having the longevity of a PS2.

No system will ever have the longevity of the PS2. The PS2 had this longevity because people were not willing to jump easily to the next generation of consoles. I think that if the 360 or PS3 were launched at $299, then the PS2 sales would have tanked alot earlier.

Spike

Vinci said:
The push for multi-platform is in response to this gen, not something that was intended from the start. The reason the Wii isn't getting software is for a multitude of reasons - some of which are a result of last-generation's results and MS's entry into the market - but one of them is that developers simply don't want to code on a platform as weak as the Wii.

That is what I'm saying.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
So, how many units Other M has to show on next NPD to be considered a success?
Reggie said somewhere around 1.5 to 2 million worldwide is something they'd consider a succes and is what they want to do with the franchise to make it more popular in the long run.

As for NPD I'm expecting/hoping something like 300k

Speevy

Banned
Spike said:
No system will ever have the longevity of the PS2. The PS2 had this longevity because people were not willing to jump easily to the next generation of consoles. I think that if the 360 or PS3 were launched at $299, then the PS2 sales would have tanked alot earlier.

Also the 360 and PS3 had jack for a library until about the end of 07, while the PS2 continued to build layer upon layer onto its genre coverage. I mean good grief, they're still porting pretty good PSP games to it.

Nintendo's situation with the Wii's successor has been portrayed in 2 completely different lights:

1. Nintendo won't have anything against the PS3 and 360, as they'll probably offer the same graphical power. Whatever they come up with, MS and Sony can implement too with software updates.
  2. Just when you think the 360 and PS3 are playing catchup to the Wii, Nintendo will announce the successor and surprise us all with something amazing. MS and Sony never got a chance...

Both are each others opposite, I can see both scenario's as equally plausible. :lol What astounds me though, is that just a few months of sales numbers can completely change the narrative and predictions of people. Right now the Wii is sort of falling behind, and suddenly the doom scenario's for its successor are a plenty. If however, say this holiday season, the Wii is back on top again, people will all be saying "and to think Wii2 is probably not even that far from being released, goddamn Nintendo!". I'm guilty of this myself. Right now it seems like the 360 will own from now on and that the Wii is about to die, just because of a few months of numbers. But numbers can change quickly, and my predictions and sentiments will change just as swiftly. :lol

Spike

Souldriver said:
Nintendo's situation with the Wii's successor has been portrayed in 2 completely different lights:

1. Nintendo won't have anything against the PS3 and 360, as they'll probably offer the same graphical power. Whatever they come up with, MS and Sony can implement too with software updates.
  2. Just when you think the 360 and PS3 are playing catchup to the Wii, Nintendo will announce the successor and surprise us all with something amazing. MS and Sony never got a chance...

Both are each others opposite, I can see both scenario's as equally plausible. :lol What astounds me though, is that just a few months of sales numbers can completely change the narrative and predictions of people. Right now the Wii is sort of falling behind, and suddenly the doom scenario's for its successor are a plenty. If however, say this holiday season, the Wii is back on top again, people will all be saying "and to think Wii2 is probably not even that far from being released, goddamn Nintendo!". I'm guilty of this myself. Right now it seems like the 360 will own from now on and that the Wii is about to die, just because of a few months of numbers. But numbers can change quickly, and my predictions and sentiments will change just as swiftly. :lol

Scenario 2 is the more likely.

Iwata himself has said that they won't simply release a WiiHD system. When they release their next gen system, it needs to have something unique and that differentiates it from its competitors.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Vinci said:
- but one of them is that developers simply don't want to code on a platform as weak as the Wii.

And boy have so many of them paid the price for this. Not that I blame developers. By and large, publishers hold the purse strings, they decide what gets made and what doesn't.

Pooya

top 20

1) Madden NFL 11 (360)
2) Madden NFL 11 (PS3)
3) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
4) Mafia 2 (360)
5) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
6) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
7) Mafia 2 (PS3)
8) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
9) NCAA Football 11 (360)
10) Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
11) Just Dance (Wii)
12) Red Dead Redemption (360)
13) Pokemon SoulSilver (Nintendo DS)
14) Madden NFL 11 (PS2)
15) NCAA Football 11 (PS3)
16) Wipeout: The Game (Wii)
17) Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
18) Dragon Quest IX (Nintendo DS)
19) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
20) Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)

Ridley327

While the rankings remained the same as July on the hardware side, the Wii slid even further in sales, coming dangerously close to becoming the lowest-selling console of the month. The Xbox 360 notched its second consecutive month as the top-seller. Here are the hardware rankings and sales figures.

Oh GamePro.

jetjevons said:
And boy have so many of them paid the price for this. Not that I blame developers. By and large, publishers hold the purse strings, they decide what gets made and what doesn't.

The publishers can tell a studio what to work on, but that doesn't mean they will have all the top dudes working on it. If I were a young hot shot programmer I wouldn't want to be held down working on Wii titles I would immediately shop around for a new job working on the latest and greatest tech to support my skills.

farnham

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
The publishers can tell a studio what to work on, but that doesn't mean they will have all the top dudes working on it. If I were a young hot shot programmer I wouldn't want to be held down working on Wii titles I would immediately shop around for a new job working on the latest and greatest tech to support my skills.
if you are only focused on tech then yes. in other words 90% of the dev community.

Cornbread78

miladesn said:
top 20

1) Madden NFL 11 (360)
2) Madden NFL 11 (PS3)
4) Mafia 2 (360)
7) Mafia 2 (PS3)
10) Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
11) Just Dance (Wii)
14) Madden NFL 11 (PS2)
17) Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

Wii- 6
360- 5
PS3- 4
DS- 4

PS2- 1

Damn, pretty Even overall....

Jomjom

Banned
Vinci said:
Oh yeah, you're right.... and how did SE become that important again? DQ and Final Fantasy. Which one is celebrated as a national holiday upon its release? DQ. The series is a national treasure in Japan. SE is never, ever going to do anything to cause Horii problems so long as this remains true.

Quit treating DQ like just another series. It's not.

Just to let you know the national holiday thing with regard to DQ is just fanboy exaggeration/urban legend. Unless you were just using that as an analogy that's fine, cause DQ sells boatloads.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:
top 20

1) Madden NFL 11 (360)
2) Madden NFL 11 (PS3)
4) Mafia 2 (360)
7) Mafia 2 (PS3)
10) Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
11) Just Dance (Wii)
14) Madden NFL 11 (PS2)
17) Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

51YR4RAB7nL._AA300_.jpg

Vinci

Danish
OldJadedGamer said:

Meanwhile, the Minecraft dude will keep working with Java and outselling many of such developers' titles. Singlehandedly. This is not a tech industry. Technology is involved, but it's predominantly an entertainment industry. If you can make something entertaining with less expensive needs, you are way ahead of the majority of people currently working in this industry. Also, you don't have to become some publisher's bitch.

Your choice.

jling84 said:
Just to let you know the national holiday thing with regard to DQ is just fanboy exaggeration/urban legend. Unless you were just using that as an analogy that's fine, cause DQ sells boatloads.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, though when I lived in Japan I knew many Japanese who took off of work on DQ release days.

Cornbread78

Boney said:
Superior Silver I guess...

what's the deal with wipeout? is the show popular? are there any ads?

My kids love the show and now really want the game. (Holidays incoming) The game is all over the Wal-Mart In-Store advertising. Funny enough, I've never actually seen a copy of it in the store though, LOL.

Tiktaalik

There's a bit too much hand wringing about Wii sales here. The sales were pretty ho hum last August too yet the system cleaned up at Christmas.

Boney

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
There's a bit too much hand wringing about Wii sales here. The sales were pretty ho hum last August too yet the system cleaned up at Christmas.
It's gonna do great this holiday as well, and DK is gonna be huge. Problem is, it won't maintain itself as good as it did this year after the holidays because DK is no Mario.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
It's gonna do great this holiday as well, and DK is gonna be huge. Problem is, it won't maintain itself as good as it did this year after the holidays because DK is no Mario.

In Mickey we trust!

Top Bottom