• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

Owzers

I'm too scared to try to predict Epic Mickey, Kirby, or Donkey Kong sales. I'm buying all three though if they are well reviewed.

Epic Mickey could do anywhere between 100k-600k when it comes out.

Cornbread78

Cornbread78 said:
LOL, the Wii game is based off a TV show that features adult obstacle courses.

Wipeout-TV-Show-Online-Streaming-Video4.jpg
wipeout-returns.JPG

wipeout2.jpg
539w.jpg

wipeout_got_big_balls_mousepad-p144242620309442852trak_400.jpg

=

24yu7wy.jpg

The hottie on the left side in the middle is one of the "commentators"

Boney

Banned
Lonely1 said:
In Mickey we trust!
I hope so, but I feel some people are putting too much faith in it. It's gonna do great numbers and maybe drive some hardware, but looks complex enough to alienate some of the younger crowd and it's not a game that the family can gather around to play like WipeOut.

I'd fill my heart with joy if this was the best selling game of the year.

Vinci said:
I'm not denying that Nintendo made mistakes this generation, as they did. Many, in fact. But I think, all things considered, the Wii's success is utterly remarkable - and short of some changes of scheduling and adding in the support of smaller 3rd party entities which showed an interest in the system, I don't think they ever had any real chance of capturing the entire market this time.

Right. That's why at this point what's interesting is looking at how they're positioned for the next generation, IMO. The margin of difference available for their performance this generation was pretty small in the overall scheme of things.

The one fly in the ointment - that will likely always be there - is Microsoft. I just don't see anyone capturing the market anywhere near the domination levels the PS2 enjoyed again with MS this heavily involved in development.

I think the chances that Microsoft decides to fold it in in this sector -- or at least lets their successes rot in the fields to the point where they might as well have folded it in -- are much higher than is the conventional wisdom. The days of an open checkbook for the Xbox business are absolutely over.

Bizzyb said:
They both have to work with each other but it's SE's Money that is making Horji's dream come true.

Square-Enix's whole business relies on a steady stream of Dragon Quest product. They make a shitload of money off of it every single time and experience none of the brand positioning or team-juggling challenges that the Final Fantasy series is rife with (or the overcommitment-of-talent issue that's kept them from producing a third console entry of Kingdom Hearts.) So first off, there is absolutely no reason for them to rock the boat over something as minor as a platform choice -- even cutting the sales of the next DQ by 2 million wouldn't be that bad in comparison to losing out on the steady stream of DQ main entries, spinoffs, and remakes in the future, so humoring Hori is in their best interests.

But moreso, S-E just has more to lose here. Yuji Hori is 56 years old. Ultimately if there's a problem with making more Dragon Quests he can take his stack of money and move to Hawaii to make money-losers and surf like the Gooch, or just pack it in and retire. There's no series there if he decides he's not interested in doing it, and he's a lot more likely to decide that than S-E is to decide they can take one of their three primary pillar franchises and throw it in the trash.

It's completely foolish to suggest that S-E is going to take what has been an incredibly profitable working relationship for twenty years and junk it by meddling with platform choice. It's literally as silly as suggesting that Madden is going to be a 360 exclusive in 2012.

wazoo

apana said:
I think we should also remember that the original donkey kong country sold like 8 million and that's not to mention what effect wii party, kirby, and epic mickey could have. How many Wii's are Nintendo expecting to sell this year? Wont they still manage to outsell the ps2's best year?

18M worldwide for this fiscal year, I think.

Looking at NPD, I think they are on par year to date with last year sales, so it will depend a lot on Christmas sales.

Anyway, I bet worldwide they will sell more than each of its competitors, not both combined as before, but still far from doom.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:
I think the chances that Microsoft decides to fold it in in this sector -- or at least lets their successes rot in the fields to the point where they might as well have folded it in -- are much higher than is the conventional wisdom. The days of an open checkbook for the Xbox business are absolutely over.

I'm a bit torn as of late. I used to think like Vinci, but as Microsoft delves more and more into price-gouging (e.g. Kinect price, Live price hike, overpriced new controller) and Sony manages , I don't know any more. It seems that Microsoft finally has to listen to shareholders, but I haven't followed the news as closely lately. Is this what you were getting at?

Cornbread78

Boney said:
yikes, is september gonna be Halo only or get more than 6 games do < 100k?

probably just Halo, then everything else.....

Wazzim said:
Kingdom Hearts BBS is gonna to sell more than 100k for sure, idk about other games though.

I forgot about that one, most likely NHL11 will do more than 100k as well.

FrankT

wazoo said:
18M worldwide for this fiscal year, I think.

Looking at NPD, I think they are on par year to date with last year sales, so it will depend a lot on Christmas sales.

Anyway, I bet worldwide they will sell more than each of its competitors, not both combined as before, but still far from doom.

Tracking about 600k less YTD, 3.55 versus 2.95 million.

Road said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30361/Nintendo_Titles_EA_Sports_Take_Over_August_NPD_Top_20.php

Top 20 has already been posted, but apparently only the top 6 sold more than 100k. Does anyone have it handy the last time it happened?

I suppose that would make the vg247 numbers incorrect then.

Kilrogg said:
I'm a bit torn as of late. I used to think like Vinci, but as Microsoft delves more and more into price-gouging (e.g. Kinect price, Live price hike, overpriced new controller) and Sony manages , I don't know any more. It seems that Microsoft finally has to listen to shareholders, but I haven't followed the news as closely lately. Is this what you were getting at?

Well the division actually made nearly $700 million in net profit last fiscal year(had Kin never happened likely a good bit more). Pretty much unheard of so the formula is working pretty well at this point. Particularly with Live with revenue from content outstripping the subs. They are in either the 3rd or 4th consecutive year with a profit as well. We’ll see if they do anything of note with this price hike in Live.

Tiktaalik

Donkey Kong will be interesting. I'm not sure what to expect. The original Donkey Kong Country really caught on fire and sold a ton, but we can't ignore the fact that a lot of that was driven by a technological wow factor that won't exist with this title.

This new Donkey Kong Country game will have to get by on the DK IP and solid gameplay alone. That's not to say that it'll be a failure. DKC still has a lot going for it I think. Folks love Donkey Kong.

charlequin said:
There is literally no force on Earth that can stop a company from blowing an insurmountable lead in one instant with a single, monumental fuck-up.
True, I don't think we'll see this repeated again on anywhere near the same scale.

FirstInHell said:
A lot of the usual 'congrats PS3', 'Year of the PS3' and '10 year plan' posters are noticeably absent.
Well, speaking of which is the "Return of the King" meme the shortest lived meme in Gaf history?

Owzers

Cornbread78 said:
probably just Halo, then everything else.....

I forgot about that one, most likely NHL11 will do more than 100k as well.

Dead Rising 2 will definitely sell above 100k presuming the cut-off period includes it.

Boney

Banned
Wazzim said:
Kingdom Hearts BBS is gonna to sell more than 100k for sure, idk about other games though.
I know PSP has been receiving S-E games better than almost anything else, but didn't Dissidia, their last big game released over a year? I can only imagine how time has affected the PSP scenario. Although KH is pretty popular in America no?

Not even Metal Gear did <100k on it's opening month right? And that had Marcus :p

Kifimbo

At least one version of Spider-Man: SD will do 100k. I think.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future if it's properly advertise.

Final Fantasy XIV and Civ V if you add PC games.

Dead Rising 2 is coming near the end of the month, so it might be hard.

FrankT

sillymonkey321 said:
Dead Rising 2 will definitely sell above 100k presuming the cut-off period includes it.

Should be about 5 days. At this point I agree. We'll see how it does in the critic department, but word of mouth off Case Zero is good.

evangd007

Kilrogg said:

MS promised the shareholders that the expense of the original Xbox would translate into topping Sony, dominating the market to the extent of near monopoly, and big profits in the next generation with Xbox 360. We all know what happened next (top Sony = yes, market domination = big no), and the shareholders recently called them out on it and basically told them that if they don't shape up and start turning big profits they'll take the money out of the entertainment department and put it elsewhere.

So if things don't get better and the shareholders go through with that, Xbox will basically either cease to exist or Microsoft will be forced to dial back support to the point of... well where their Windows gaming division currently is (lol).

Owzers

Jtyettis said:
Should be about 5 days. At this point I agree. We'll see how it does in the critic department, but word of mouth off Case Zero is good.

As a non-goldy, i'd like to get the game but for ps3....and since Capcom is keeping the ps3 version a secret, i suppose it's going to blow.

Boney

Banned
Kifimbo said:
At least one version of Spider-Man: SD will do 100k. I think.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future if it's properly advertise.

Final Fantasy XIV and Civ V if you add PC games.

Dead Rising 2 is coming near the end of the month, so it might be hard.
You're forgetting Other M :mad:

why do people keep ignoring Other M :(

FrankT

evangd007 said:
MS promised the shareholders that the expense of the original Xbox would translate into topping Sony, dominating the market to the extent of near monopoly, and big profits in the next generation with Xbox 360. We all know what happened next (top Sony = yes, market domination = big no), and the shareholders recently called them out on it and basically told them that if they don't shape up and start turning big profits they'll take the money out of the entertainment department and put it elsewhere.

So if things don't get better and the shareholders go through with that, Xbox will basically either cease to exist or Microsoft will be forced to dial back support to the point of... well where their Windows gaming division currently is (lol).

Wait when exactly did that happen. I saw some analyst conjecture a good bit after that latest fiscal update, but I don't recall a shareholder revolt. Further $700 million dollars in net profit is certainly approaching the best of Sony's PS2 years. High end on net profit was like around billion iirc. Nothing to scoff at and had they never touched the Kin well it would have a good bit better. So the fact is the division has shaped quite a bit and especially in the last year (3 years in row or so fiscal profit, but this last fiscal year by far the best).

Vinci

Danish
evangd007 said:

I wasn't aware it had become so dire. That puts a spin on things.

evangd007 said:

Welp, looks like everyone is going to have to buy a shit ton of avatar clothes.

Busaiku

I can't see Kingdom Hearts doing over 100k.
Peace Walker barely managed over 1/2 that, and it's from a bigger franchise, which has had good sales on PSP in the past (whereas Birth By Sleep marks the first and only entry for that franchise on PSP).

DuckRacer

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock should crack the top 10; I know the genre is in an even worse position than it was last year, but GH5 on 360 sold 200k and I don't see WoR's sales being so low it won't chart.

But yeah, it's basically Reach, DR2 and that for September. (And MW2 and Wii Fit :lol)

Draft

Jtyettis said:
Wait when exactly did that happen. I saw some analyst conjecture a good bit after that latest fiscal update, but I don't recall a shareholder revolt. Further $700 million dollars in net profit is certainly approaching the best of Sony's PS2 years. High end on net profit was like around billion iirc. Nothing to scoff at and had they never touched the Kin well it would have a good bit better. So the fact is the division has shaped quite a bit and especially in the last year (3 years in row or so fiscal profit, but this last fiscal year by far the best).
I wasn't aware that shareholders could dictate where Microsoft spends its money :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The most interesting thing about that top 20 chart for me is that they're still making PS2 Madden. The system will not die.

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
The most interesting thing about that top 20 chart for me is that they're still making PS2 Madden. The system will not die.
And that it's outselling the Wii version.

Xater

Wow Kane & Lynch 2 is not evne in the top 20. :lol

Now can we please bury that shitty franchise and let IO focus all their energy on Hitman?

FrankT

Draft said:
I wasn't aware that shareholders could dictate where Microsoft spends its money :lol

New things learned everyday I guess much like the story. I'd be surprised with that kind of backlash Kinect would even have chance at the market hence not believing that too much. I do remember that analyst story however long after MS reported it's earnings which was pretty much conjecture(much like the SeekingAlpha article posted long ago about how 360 never had a chance). Of course, analysts are a dime a dozen.

evangd007 said:

Link?

Cornbread78

Sept. Releases
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 Win, PS3, X360, Wii
Batman: The Brave and the Bold Wii, NDS
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions NDS, PS3, Wii, X360
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep PSP
NHL 11 PS3, X360
NHL Slapshot Wii
Amnesia: The Dark Descent Win, Mac, Lin
Plants vs. Zombies XBLA
Ninety-Nine Nights II X360
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future NDS
UFC 2010 PSP
Two Worlds II Win, X360, PS3
Halo: Reach X360
R.U.S.E. X360, PS3, Win
Civilization V Win
Darksiders Win
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City DS
F1 2010 Win, X360, PS3
NHL 2K11 Wii
Samurai Warriors 3 Wii
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light PSN, Win
Dead Rising 2 Win, PS3, X360
FIFA 11 Win, X360, Wii, DS, PS2, PS3, DS, PSP
Front Mission Evolved Win, X360, PS3
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock PS3, Wii, X360
30 Final Fantasy XIV Win
Metroid: Other M "(added to list since it wasn't included in Aug. NPD)

#1 - Halo
#2- Dead Rising
#3- NHL 11
#4- KH
#5 Metroid: Other M
#6- Prof. Layt.
#7- GH

They may hit 6 with 100k or more, but looks grim......

evangd007

Jtyettis said:

I think the point made was that they could move the money into business networking which would be more profitable and have a much better ROI. I mean, it wasn't just Xbox and the Kin probably hurt the division's profits as a whole, but Entertainment needs to shape up as a whole to justify the investment in them.

There's also the fact that one of the reasons MS invested into the Xbox was to cover themselves if PC users migrated to TV multimedia boxes, which is what they want the Xbox to be in the first place. Since the migration was instead to notebooks, netbooks, smart phones, and iWhatevers, it isn't as important anymore.

Busaiku said:
I can't see Kingdom Hearts doing over 100k.
Peace Walker barely managed over 1/2 that, and it's from a bigger franchise, which has had good sales on PSP in the past (whereas Birth By Sleep marks the first and only entry for that franchise on PSP).
Not over 100k? There might not be other KH games on the PSP, but there are other big SE games (Dissidia, Crisis Core) which share same fanbase, and those titles sold pretty well didnt they? Plus KH fans are rabid

FrankT

Cornbread78 said:
Sept. Releases
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 Win, PS3, X360, Wii
Batman: The Brave and the Bold Wii, NDS
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions NDS, PS3, Wii, X360
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep PSP
NHL 11 PS3, X360
NHL Slapshot Wii
Amnesia: The Dark Descent Win, Mac, Lin
Plants vs. Zombies XBLA
Ninety-Nine Nights II X360
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future NDS
UFC 2010 PSP
Two Worlds II Win, X360, PS3
Halo: Reach X360
R.U.S.E. X360, PS3, Win
Civilization V Win
Darksiders Win
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City DS
F1 2010 Win, X360, PS3
NHL 2K11 Wii
Samurai Warriors 3 Wii
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light PSN, Win
Dead Rising 2 Win, PS3, X360
FIFA 11 Win, X360, Wii, DS, PS2, PS3, DS, PSP
Front Mission Evolved Win, X360, PS3
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock PS3, Wii, X360
30 Final Fantasy XIV Win
Metroid: Other M "(added to list since it wasn't included in Aug. NPD)

#1 - Halo
#2- Dead Rising
#3- NHL 11
#4- KH
#5 Metroid: Other M
#6- Prof. Layt.
#7- GH

They may hit 6 with 100k or more, but looks grim......

Both Maddens should break 100k as well.

Cornbread78

Jtyettis said:
Both Maddens should break 100k as well.

True, most likely they will, so yeah, including those two, there will definately be 6 again this month doing 100k or more.

Boney said:
Metroid is going to do better than KH.

You should be right, or at least one would hope...

Xater said:
Wow Kane & Lynch 2 is not evne in the top 20. :lol

Now can we please bury that shitty franchise and let IO focus all their energy on Hitman?

Oh god yes yes yes!!

Hitman is an instant-sell to its cult following, the movie raised awareness of the franchise so with a little advertising (and not making a shit game of course) it will definitely be a success.

Top Bottom