• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

kswiston

I wonder how many more months people are going to fight about 360 vs PS3 sales.

1) The US Standings for all three consoles is set in stone at this point. There will always be a large gap between the Wii and 360, and the 360 and PS3. The most exciting change on that front will be whether the gap will expand or contract by a few 10k units in a given month.

2) The 360 and the PS3 will most likely be withing 10-15% of each other worldwide. Why are people so invested in which one ends in second place and which ends in third? Both are a far cry from the leading console, and both are doing very well for secondary and tertiary consoles (which, before this gen, never broke the 35M barrier).

3) Sony pissed away their market share at the beginning of this generation, in the US especially. However, there marketshare has been increasing steadily over the last couple of years, which is about the best result they can hope for at this point. To Date, the PS3 has about a 21% share of all home consoles sold in the US this generation. However, since the introduction of the PS3 slim, the PS3 has done better than 21% of home consoles sold in every month except Dec 2009 (where the PS3 managed almost exactly a 21% share due to extremely high Wii sales). So, even in holiday months, PS3 has kept or increased its overall hardware marketshare standing. And more importantly, software marketshare has increased substantially in the last 1.5 years.

Bottom line is this: PS3 was a major screw up on Sony's part. Especially in the US (which this thread is about). Console standings are set in stone this far into the generation. However, Sony has managed to consistently increase their marketshare percentage over the last couple years, leading to a higher share of software sales, and closer sales performances between multiplatform 360 and PS3 titles. This is a good thing for Sony, Third Parties, and people who bought the PS3, because it guarantees continued software support.

I am more interested in software performance, but the majority of these threads always end up being console wars.

I am really impressed with how well Black Ops continues to sell. I was one of the many people who thought the game would be more front loaded than Modern Warfare 2 after seeing the 8.4M opening month, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wish we had a better idea of the platform breakdown. If the platform percentages have remained more or less consistent, the PS3 version of the game should be close to 5M by now. Has any other game even passed 4M on the PS3 in the US only? The 360 version should be in the 8M range.

kswiston said:
I wonder how many more months people are going to fight about 360 vs PS3 sales.

1) The US Standings for all three consoles is set in stone at this point. There will always be a large gap between the Wii and 360, and the 360 and PS3. The most exciting change on that front will be whether the gap will expand or contract by a few 10k units in a given month.

2) The 360 and the PS3 will most likely be withing 10-15% of each other worldwide. Why are people so invested in which one ends in second place and which ends in third? Both are a far cry from the leading console, and both are doing very well for secondary and tertiary consoles (which, before this gen, never broke the 35M barrier).

3) Sony pissed away their market share at the beginning of this generation, in the US especially. However, there marketshare has been increasing steadily over the last couple of years, which is about the best result they can hope for at this point. To Date, the PS3 has about a 21% share of all home consoles sold in the US this generation. However, since the introduction of the PS3 slim, the PS3 has done better than 21% of home consoles sold in every month except Dec 2009 (where the PS3 managed almost exactly a 21% share due to extremely high Wii sales). So, even in holiday months, PS3 has kept or increased its overall hardware marketshare standing. And more importantly, software marketshare has increased substantially in the last 1.5 years.

Bottom line is this: PS3 was a major screw up on Sony's part. Especially in the US (which this thread is about). Console standings are set in stone this far into the generation. However, Sony has managed to consistently increase their marketshare percentage over the last couple years, leading to a higher share of software sales, and closer sales performances between multiplatform 360 and PS3 titles. This is a good thing for Sony, Third Parties, and people who bought the PS3, because it guarantees continued software support.

I am more interested in software performance, but the majority of these threads always end up being console wars.

I am really impressed with how well Black Ops continues to sell. I was one of the many people who thought the game would be more front loaded than Modern Warfare 2 after seeing the 8.4M opening month, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wish we had a better idea of the platform breakdown. If the platform percentages have remained more or less consistent, the PS3 version of the game should be close to 5M by now. Has any other game even passed 4M on the PS3 in the US only? The 360 version should be in the 8M range.

Pretty much. I think the biggest discrepancy here is that now both Nintendo and Microsoft appear to be solid contenders for the casual/motion control market, while Sony has no answer and are effectively being left out scraping for what's left out of the core market. Since it's becoming more and more clear that this is going to be a big market going forward, and it is here to stay, I wonder where that leaves Sony in the long run.

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, it was a free game so can't really be counted as a sale. Even if you hated the game and wanted a PS3 system you would have been a fool not to get the bundle and sell the game. That's why NPD doesn't count bundled games.

Yeah, everyone was offering $50-$100 cards for PS3's pretty much the entire month and along with the free game packed in.

Of course not. If they did, then Kung Fu Panda for the 360 would be one of the best selling games.

I think for the sake of argument we can differentiate between games that are bundled day and date at launch (where the intention is to use the game's popularity to immediately boost HW sales) and games bundled well after their "hardcore" shelf life to arbitrarily prop up value.

MS' third party game bundles have generally been a minimum increase in value versus buying all the shit separate (game + extra controller + faceplate for $100 more than the normal SKU is what they did for RE5, SC: Conviction, FFXIII, and MW2 iirc), so it's no surprise that they don't push anywhere close to 20-25% of game SKU sales, but they still bump up sales. Their holiday bundles invariably contain one or two games that are at least a year old, well past their typical "hardcore" shelf life (with the exception of Halo 3).

KZ3 and MGS4 were aggressively bundled with no increase to the base console price. The intention is not convenience or merely brand association, but pushing out as many PS3's as possible with the new flavor of the month. It would appear that KZ3 was at least moderately successful, though we can't know for sure unless we had total weekly sales before and after the bundle launched. And while the numbers won't necessarily count for consistency's sake in NPD threads going forward, we can still argue that it had some impact.

kswiston said:

THIS +1

For me the PS3 wont catch up with the XBOX 360 in the US it will always be third place, BUT in the rest of the world the PS3 will continue to sell more than the XBOX 360 and maybe speaking in a global way the PS3 will outsell the XBOX 360, but for SONY in the USA the battle is lost.

And i for one don´t really know how can SONY really become once again the leader in HARDWARE, hopefully with the introduction of new consoles in 2013-2014 SONY can recuperate.

StevieP

Banned
doicare said:
Sure, well of course there are always reasons why things happen and in no way was i trying to say the ps3 has been outselling the 360 'just because'. However the reasons you give in my opinion aren't exceptionally unusual circumstances worth mentioning, they are just part of the natural console cycle and they happen nearly every single generation. One console comes out first, another comes out later and is more high tech but more expensive. One console gets a price drop, the other one matches it. One console gets a redesign or new colours the other one follows suit. It's all pretty cut and dry as far as i'm concerned and i don't see anything dramatically changing from the predictions i made after all 3 consoles had been on the market for a full year. Microsoft claiming victory (or ties) for a few quarters here and there is all how i thought it would pan out. People laughed at me back in 2006/2007 when i said the Wii would run out of steam because of a lack of decent/constant software and wouldn't become the new ps2, so i'm used to people having a problem with some of my more bold predictions.

The DS is this generation's PS2. The next closest thing is the Wii. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 come close to either.

StevieP said:
The DS is this generation's PS2. The next closest thing is the Wii. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 come close to either.

No. That statement couldn't be more wrong. Both the 360 and PS3 are closer to the PS2, and everything it embodied, than either the DS or Wii. DS shouldn't even be mentioned since anything you could say about it you could have also said about the GameBoy(even more so), but that's always been and will remain a different market.

If anything, the Wii proved that no matter what your sales dominance is, it is not enough to make you the undisputed leader in the video game industry if you are also not the primary platform for third party developers.

Turns out you can't have one. You need both(sales and the latest technology) to be the leading platform for game developers.

Balb

Watchtower said:
No. That statement couldn't be more wrong. Both the 360 and PS3 are closer to the PS2, and everything it embodied, than either the DS or Wii. DS shouldn't even be mentioned since anything you could say about it you could have also said about the GameBoy(even more so), but that's always been and will remain a different market.

I don't think the 360 or even the PS3 embody the PS2 in any way to be honest. Neither does the DS, though.

Watchtower said:
In the west, yeah sure. In Japan though, DS comes way closer than anything else to PS2's successor so his statement isn't entirely wrong. Things may change in the west in time too.

Balb said:
I don't think the 360 or even the PS3 embody the PS2 in any way to be honest. Neither does the DS, though.

Yes it does. To any freaking gamer, the PS2 and Playstation meant the system of choice for the largest amount of varied and leading third party support. THE GAMES. Sales comes second.

That's been the PS3/360 this entire generation. That was the only reason sales have been such a hot topic....because before it meant that the console with the dominant sales got the dominant developer support.

Wii's the first console in history to break that trend.

Rad Agast

doicare said:
Well if you want to get picky the English language is a constantly evolving thing and the word consistently can be taken to mean different things given different contexts. If you said the sentence "I've been consistently good at hitting the ball with the bat today" to the average person, most wouldn't take that to mean you hit the ball 100% of the time, or that the way you hit the ball was absolutely 100% the same each time, the average person would take that to mean you weren't perfect but overall you were very good at hitting the ball. As i said, no big deal, the misunderstanding has been cleared up.

English isn't my first language and I don't bother to contribute to sale threads but your spin of the meaning of the word consistent is :lol worthy. When some one asks me what do I think of Messi* I usually answer with: "He's great but his problem is that he's not consistent". What they clearly understand from that statement is that he doesn't always perform in every match.

*arguably the best football player at moment.

StevieP

Banned
Watchtower said:
Yes it does. To any freaking gamer, the PS2 and Playstation meant the system of choice for the largest amount of varied and leading third party support. THE GAMES. Sales comes second.

Not in a sales thread they don't. The Wii is the highest selling home console. In all regions, including North America. And we're discussing American sales in an NPD thread. If you'd like to discuss software, the Wii has also sold the most of it by volume, last I read (Jokeropedia's figures). That includes third party software.

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You're right... I don't. And you don't either and neither does NPD. I'm not saying every game doesn't count as a sale just like I'm not saying every game counts as a sale. No one knows... which is why bundled games are not included in NPD numbers and it's generally better to just leave them out regardless of what game it is.

How many people have traded in Killzone 3 since they bought it. We'll never know.

Footnotes should always be added for types of sales, but a sale is a sale is a sale is a sale. 44k extra units have been sold to customers over the standalone figure in the NPD software total during the same period. Just like we count and distinguished GT bundle sales from back in the day.

Zen said:
How many people have traded in Killzone 3 since they bought it. We'll never know.

Footnotes should always be added for types of sales, but a sale is a sale is a sale is a sale. 44k extra units have been sold to customers over the standalone figure in the NPD software total during the same period. Just like we count and distinguished GT bundle sales from back in the day.

No, GT bundled sales are not counted. Not in US sales since NPD doesn't count them. While you may feel it's a sale NPD does not and this is an NPD thread so the numbers that NPD counts should be posted in the total. Bundled sales have never been counted in the past.

We can speculate all we want about them but nothing is official.

StevieP said:
Not in a sales thread they don't. The Wii is the highest selling home console. In all regions, including North America. And we're discussing American sales in an NPD thread. If you'd like to discuss software, the Wii has also sold the most of it by volume, last I read (Jokeropedia's figures). That includes third party software.

Ok if you just want to talk about sales alone then yes, but then just simply say they are the best selling consoles/handhelds. When you say they are the "PS2" of this generation, for a gamer that has a much bigger meaning.

Sales was not why the PSX/PS2 mattered so much to most people. Once again, the main reason some gamers have had an interest in becoming armchair sales analyst in the first place, and have lost their minds in NPD and Media Threads, is because they had a direct impact on third party developer support. If sales had no impact on developer support, there would be like 5 people in here right now....actually this thread would probably be a permanent feature of the OT forum.

Gravijah

PS2 was filled with shovelware, so called "casual" games, niche games, "hardcore" games... Wouldn't say the PS3 or 360 are anywhere near that level.

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
No, GT bundled sales are not counted. Not in US sales since NPD doesn't count them. While you may feel it's a sale NPD does not and this is an NPD thread so the numbers that NPD counts should be posted in the total. Bundled sales have never been counted in the past.

We can speculate all we want about them but nothing is official.

Actually they have been. The NPD does track the SKU of hardware sold they just don't split up the total, or very often specifically release that information on the sales of bundles. We DO get bundle information from time to time, and directly from the NPD.

They gave us the amount of MGS4 bundles sold when MGS4 came out, for instance. They made mention that with bundles it sold a little over 1 million units in its first month.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/npd-wii-overtakes-360-us

Gravijah said:
PS2 was filled with shovelware, so called "casual" games, niche games, "hardcore" games... Wouldn't say the PS3 or 360 are anywhere near that level.

Yes people hold the PS2 in high regards because of shoevelware.....

Really now?

Gravijah said:
This is true. The PS2 software landscape was more like a combination of what we see today in Wii and 360+PS3. There is no real "PS2" this gen in the same sense though, the markets essentially split.

Gravijah

Watchtower said:
Yes people hold the PS2 in high regards because of shoevelware.....

Really now?

What? We're talking about what makes the system I thought and what specifically made the sales. It doesn't really matter what a small subset of people thinks about the system.

Zen said:
Actually they have been. The NPD does track the SKU of hardware sold they just don't split up the total, or very often specifically release that information on the sales of bundles. We DO get bundle information from time to time, and directly from the NPD.

They gave us the amount of MGS4 bundles sold when MGS4 came out, for instance. They made mention that with bundles it sold a little over 1 million units in its first month.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/npd-wii-overtakes-360-us

Since game specific bundles aren't a direct sale, they aren't counted in the standalone unit sold category but they are counted as a sale.

Sure, they know the number of the bundles. I'm not sure what you are arguing here as if you read the article and look at the numbers it shows 774.6K for MGS4. While they made an exception for only this game (you won't find another example) and stated would could have been *if* you counted bundles as individual sales but they still did not include the bundles in the total number. This was for informational purposes only that they mentioned it and not a part of the official numbered tally.

How can a game that is free of cost to the consumer be counted as a sale? Sony is selling them the system and giving them the game. The system is what is sold, the game is a freebie.

You can argue till your blue in the face and nothing changes the fact that games bundled with hardware will never count towards the total sales of the game according to NPD.

StevieP said:
That is what this thread is based on. Sales.

Nice backpedaling. You were initially replying to this quote, and he was saying the same thing.

Sure, well of course there are always reasons why things happen and in no way was i trying to say the ps3 has been outselling the 360 'just because'. However the reasons you give in my opinion aren't exceptionally unusual circumstances worth mentioning, they are just part of the natural console cycle and they happen nearly every single generation. One console comes out first, another comes out later and is more high tech but more expensive. One console gets a price drop, the other one matches it. One console gets a redesign or new colours the other one follows suit. It's all pretty cut and dry as far as i'm concerned and i don't see anything dramatically changing from the predictions i made after all 3 consoles had been on the market for a full year. Microsoft claiming victory (or ties) for a few quarters here and there is all how i thought it would pan out. People laughed at me back in 2006/2007 when i said the Wii would run out of steam because of a lack of decent/constant software and wouldn't become the new ps2, so i'm used to people having a problem with some of my more bold predictions.

Come on now, we both know what he was saying. He obviously isn't saying the Wii isn't the PS2 because the Wii didn't end up selling enough.

And he's right on that. The Wii isn't the PS2 precisely because of the third party developer support.

Gravijah said:
What? We're talking about what makes the system I thought and what specifically made the sales. It doesn't really matter what a small subset of people thinks about the system.

No, look above. doicare was obviously talking about what made the PS2 the leading console for software and third party developer support.

The other guy tried to say it was the DS/Wii that's just like the PS2 because of their sales. Flame bait.

StevieP

Banned
Watchtower said:
No, look above. doicare was obviously talking about what made the PS2 the leading console for software and third party developer support.

The other guy tried to say it was the DS/Wii that's like that because of sales. Flame bait.

Well, the DS has the most third party support of any system. And the Wii, despite the extremely poor showing from many third parties, has sold the most third party software. That's not up for debate.

The quality of the software is, sure. But this *is* a sales thread.

Gravijah

Watchtower said:

The other guy tried to say it was the DS/Wii that's just like the PS2 because of their sales. Flame bait.

Well, you know shovelware sells to mindless consumers, right? Why do you think the Wii, PS2 and DS are all filled with it? Because they were also market leaders.

StevieP said:
Well, the DS has the most third party support of any system. And the Wii, despite the extremely poor showing from many third parties, has sold the most third party software. That's not up for debate.

The quality of the software is, sure. But this *is* a sales thread.

Just drop it. I am. I'll just let him answer, but I think you know he's going to say the same thing.

PS: Is there some other breaking news I don't know about? I keep getting 503 errors.

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Sure, they know the number of the bundles. I'm not sure what you are arguing here as if you read the article and look at the numbers it shows 774.6K for MGS4. While they made an exception for only this game (you won't find another example) and stated would could have been *if* you counted bundles as individual sales but they still did not include the bundles in the total number. This was for informational purposes only that they mentioned it and not a part of the official numbered tally.

How can a game that is free of cost to the consumer be counted as a sale? Sony is selling them the system and giving them the game. The system is what is sold, the game is a freebie.

You can argue till your blue in the face and nothing changes the fact that games bundled with hardware will never count towards the total sales of the game according to NPD.

Hardware bundle sales do get added up in the NPD report, they do not release it with their Top 10 which is new stand alone physical retail only across all platforms that excludes hardware bundles for the same reasons we've talked about.

There are plenty of other examples throughout the NPD history of the bundled information being released, and you're wrong with saying that 'If the bundled sales were counted as Standalone sales' because that's factually not what was said:

Said Frazier, "As expected, Metal Gear Solid 4 realized significant retail sales and drove PS3 hardware acquisition. While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

Not 'as stand alone sales'

If included (the bundled sales) Metal Gear Solid 4 sold through nearly 1 million units (to consumers).

What they're saying here is that both stand alone and bundles are sales, and the information that we get only covers stand alone sales totals, both are still counted as sales to the customer and it's a shame that we don't get more comprehensive data from the NPD each month.

Sure the NPD only releases the top 10 by stand alone sales, but that's because they like to release as little as possible and it's cleaner than including bundled sales that are not a 100% sign of intent. Mostly it's because they like to release as little as possible.

We don't even get 1% of the data that's in the report.

By your standard of 'getting the game for free' which you do but you don't considering getting the game via the bundle incurs a $300 cost as barrier to entry (not the same thing in business as giving your product away even if it's bundled with no increase in the MSRP), this is applying conditions on what counts as a unit sold beyond merely reporting the delivery method.

You can argue until you're blue in the face, but this is the reality of the sell through to consumers:

Killzone 3 sold 279.9K units stand alone sales and 44k were from the Killzone 3 bundle (were the intent of the user is harder to gauge) for combined sales of 323.9k to consumers over a 5 day period. In both cases we do not know if the users refunded their copies etc. The Killzone 3 bundle also accounted for 44k of PS3 hardware sales recorded during the period.

Saying that 'we can't count' sell through because we don't know what the user did with the product after acquisition is silly; people resell their products all the time, what the NPD cares about and what are sales through to consumers and bundles count as a part of that even when they are included in hardware totals but not the top 10 standalone.

Zen said:
Pointless arguing

Wow, I didn't think you would argue till you were actually blue. Look partner, I'm not responding to you anymore because you are wrong. Period. NPD doesn't count bundled games as sales for the game. They count them as sales for the system. Unless this changes in the future it's pointless to even discuss it.

If you continue to have an issue with this, email NPD.

Watchtower said:

You're very wrong, on every level you are attempting to argue.

The DS has a phenomenally high quality software library, exceptional variety and breadth of titles, and outstanding sales figures and market penetration in every region and market globally.

I mean, it's pretty obvious just how much you love the 360 from your posts in this topic, but it is ridiculous to try and claim either of the HD consoles as the successor to the PS2 in any respect, let alone in a sales thread.

MrNyarlathotep said:
I mean, it's pretty obvious just how much you love the 360 from your posts in this topic, but it is ridiculous to try and claim either of the HD consoles as the successor to the PS2 in any respect, let alone in a sales thread.

But d00d they have teh hardcore gams.

Zen

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Wow, I didn't think you would argue till you were actually blue. Look partner, I'm not responding to you anymore because you are wrong. Period. NPD doesn't count bundled games as sales for the game. They count them as sales for the system. Unless this changes in the future it's pointless to even discuss it.

If you continue to have an issue with this, email NPD.

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree, if you need clarification e-mail the NPD.

There were still 323.9k units of Killzone 3 sold through to consumers during the reporting period regardless of how you want to spin things. It's a shame that we don't get bundle data more frequently.

Megadragon15 said:
The PS3 usually had a $50 gift card (from many stores in February) and/or a free game included.

I believe amazon had gift cards/credits for both kinect and wii bundles as well.

Do these drives add any significant sales?

MrNyarlathotep said:
You're very wrong, on every level you are attempting to argue.

The DS has a phenomenally high quality software library, exceptional variety and breadth of titles, and outstanding sales figures and market penetration in every region and market globally.

It's pretty obvious how much you love the DS, just by the fact you are relying on a handheld and sales to deny the well respected fact that both the 360 and PS3 are valid successors to the PS2, because the main reason every gamer loved the PS2 was the games and its third party development support. And just about anyone here knows there is a difference between a hand held game and console game.

See? I can do the same thing.

And yes I did love my 360. It had the best library of games this generation and continues to have that. I could give a shit about any hand held game and couldn't even name you 10 DS games that actually came out for it.

Fact is the entire industry, not just me, disagrees with you. There is a reason why every developers have continued to carry on the main series on the PS3/360 and spent sometimes upwards on 50 million dollar investments on 360/PS3 games...NOT the DS.

Watchtower said:
And yes I did love my 360. It had the best library of games this generation and continues to have that. I could give a shit about any hand held game and couldn't even name you 10 DS games that actually came out for it.

So... your counter argument is your own ignorance?

I literally cannot argue against that.

MrNyarlathotep said:
So... your counter argument is your own ignorance?

I literally cannot argue against that.

No your argument as the original statement is just laughable. You have no argument to be taken seriously as shown by the fact you have to result to insults.

But hey if you want to believe that three years from now when we look at the games that defined this generation everyone's going to be making huge lists of DS games...then yeah, I'll just live in my own "ignorance" for the time being.

StevieP

Banned
No, my original statement is sound. I stated that the closest thing to the PS2 this generation is the DS. And it's true (in all senses). There IS no console successor to something as successful as the PS2, and the closest thing on the home console front is indeed the Wii.

Remember, this is a sales thread.

games that defined this generation

That would be Wii Sports. Like it or not.

StevieP said:
No, my original statement is sound. I stated that the closest thing to the PS2 this generation is the DS. And it's true (in all senses). There IS no console successor to something as successful as the PS2, and the closest thing on the home console front is indeed the Wii.

Remember, this is a sales thread.

That would be Wii Sports. Like it or not.

Your statement remains as retarded as it was before. I know it's a sales thread. The guy clearly wasn't referring to sales and you know that. Please all 3 of you just need to stop. It truly is retarded.

And obviously I'm talking third party sales but, never the less, if you want to put everything on sales then perhaps you should realize that it's this exact NPD thread that made Call of Duty the best selling video game in history in the USA.

Watchtower said:
But hey if you want to believe that three years from now when we look at the games that defined this generation everyone's going to be making huge lists of DS games...then yeah, I'll just live in my own "ignorance" for the time being.

Well the defining games this generation are DS and Wii games, just so you know. I'm sure you could throw in some 360 and PS3 games as well, but if someone created a new thread, the top games would be something like:

Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Brain Age
Wii Play

doicare

Watchtower said:
Well not to ad insult to injury, but....

....you told me I have flawed logic and honestly I'm beginning to think you don't understand English either because at no point in our discussion was I trying to do anything like what you are suggesting above. I did have a point, and my point could be boiled down to one sentence.

In my original reply to the poster, what I did was simply point out that using his numbers: if you consider the only market where one of the two systems is basically a non-competitor, Japan, then the actual amount the PS3 has made up since launch world wide has been statistical noise.(and I do apologize for the subtraction error. Yes my number was incorrect, it should have been 1.3, not 400k units.....it was like 3:00am for me). And then I just added that if you took out the launch period in Europe then it hasn't actually made up anything since May 2007.

Again, all of this was outside Japan and even stated in the same post that someone was probably going to say it's not fair for me to only exclude Japan, but I only did it for the point of perspective. OTH, I have no freaking idea what you are trying to do, other than to come up with different parameters to compare the two or come up with calculations to prove a point that I had already implied is a given in my original reply to the poster anyway.
The problem is you are still wrong, i'll do my best to try and make it as easier for you to understand why, because i have obviously overloaded you with numbers and made things more complicated then need be.

You will never know the overall European numbers by themselves, the closest you will get to that is Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan. So when you don't actually know what the European numbers are you cannot come out with your ps3 statement of 'if you took out the launch period in Europe then it hasn't actually made up anything since May 2007'. That is factually wrong and bullsh*t.

The only numbers you can work out, are what the Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan sales gap would be then compare that to Japan's sales gap. At the end of 2010 the sales gap for the ps3 compared to the 360 in japan was +4.66 million and in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan the gap was atleast +1.76 million. That 1.76 million works out to 27.5% of the overall sales gap and in no way is just 'statistical noise'.

However the 1.76 million+ lead the ps3 has built up in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan is far more impressive then Japan's 4.66 million lead because the ps3 launched half a year later in Europe and some other parts of the world where the 360 is significantly more popular with higher sales when compared to Japan.

To put it simply when the ps3 launched in Japan it only had to over come a 160,000 x360 sales head start, in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan the ps3 had to over come a 3.5 million sales head start. That means since each of there respective launches the ps3 in Japan has sold 4.82 million more then the 360 during the same time frame and over 5.2 million more then the 360 in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan.

Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan is just as important as Japan and the numbers show that as each week/month/year goes by the ps3 is gaining more and more on the x360 in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan compared to what it gains in Japan.
30SomethingGamer said:
yes it also would be good to hear your perspective when Holiday 2011 strolls around when PS3 is getting crushed yet again and still in 3rd place in hardware.
Sure ok...... :)
Rad Agast said:
English isn't my first language and I don't bother to contribute to sale threads but your spin of the meaning of the word consistent is :lol worthy. When some one asks me what do I think of Messi* I usually answer with: "He's great but his problem is that he's not consistent". What they clearly understand from that statement is that he doesn't always perform in every match.

*arguably the best football player at moment.
http://thesaurus.com/browse/consistently
Better tell them they've got it wrong.

StevieP

Banned
Watchtower said:
No I would argue Wii Sports isn't a third party game(which again it's what defined the PS2).

Halo defined the X-box that you know and love. Are you going to argue with yourself? Because I'd enjoy that at this point.

Wii Sports defined this console generation more than any other game. Period. Whether you like the game or not, it still holds true.

doicare said:
The problem is you are still wrong, i'll do my best to try and make it as easier for you to understand why, because i have obviously overloaded you with numbers and made things more complicated then need be.

You will never know the overall European numbers by themselves, the closest you will get to that is Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan. So when you don't actually know what the European numbers are you cannot come out with your ps3 statement of 'if you took out the launch period in Europe then it hasn't actually made up anything since May 2007'. That is factually wrong and bullsh*t.

The only numbers you can work out, are what the Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan sales gap would be then compare that to Japan's sales gap. At the end of 2010 the sales gap for the ps3 compared to the 360 in japan was +4.66 million and in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan the gap was atleast +1.76 million. That 1.76 million works out to 27.5% of the overall sales gap and in no way is just 'statistical noise'.

However the 1.76 million+ lead the ps3 has built up in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan is far more impressive then Japan's 4.66 million lead because the ps3 launched half a year later in Europe and some other parts of the world where the 360 is significantly more popular with higher sales when compared to Japan.

To put it simply when the ps3 launched in Japan it only had to over come a 160,000 x360 sales head start, in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan the ps3 had to over come a 3.5 million sales head start. That means since each of there respective launches the ps3 in Japan has sold 4.82 million more then the 360 during the same time frame and over 5.2 million more then the 360 in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan.

Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan is just as important as Japan and the numbers show that as each week/month/year goes by the ps3 is gaining more on the 360 in Europe+everything that isn't USA and Japan compared to what it gains in Japan.

Sure ok...... :)

http://thesaurus.com/browse/consistently
Better tell them they've got it wrong.

I give up man. You win. Really. If I said, this text is black you would continue to argue how the text isn't red!

That's basically what's been going on between you and me, but with numbers. I don't know how else to put it.

Watchtower said:
Your statement remains as retarded as it was before. I know it's a sales thread. The guy clearly wasn't referring to sales and you know that. Please all 3 of you just need to stop. It truly is retarded.

And obviously I'm talking third party sales but, never the less, if you want to put everything on sales then perhaps you should realize that it's this exact NPD thread that made Call of Duty the best selling video game in history in the USA.

True, but even that game came out on Wii as well. But yea, that would definitely be one of the games defining the generation. As would probably Mass Effect and Gears of War. But the casual stuff would no doubt be on top.

And there's much less reason to believe that third party games are defining this generation more than exclusives, but there's a few in there that have made a kink for sure.

Top Bottom