• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

notworksafe said:
If SC2 sold 721K units, why is it not #1 on that list? It's beating the snot out of everything!
PC gaming is too superior for lowly console chartz.

Paracelsus said:
It's more like a stunning 360 month than anything else. You cannot point at any console this month, it was a shitty performance all around.

Also, why are people screaming in joy at DQIX numbers, am I missing something here?
You mean it was a solid performance by everyone all around? DQIX is virtually non existent in the west, that is why.

Damn. Very nice 360 sales indeed. Wonder how long the momentum will last, but they're making up serious ground now.

Anybody have the YTD comparison for PS3 vs 360?

Chris1964 said:
NPD July '09

NDS - 538,900
WII - 252,500
360 - 202,900
PSP - 122,800
PS3 - 121,800
PS2 - 108,000

So the Wii is actually (very slightly) UP YOY, and without a major title like Wii Sports Resort to propel it?

Crazy. Adds a lot of perspective. Wii will probably clean house again this holiday.

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcomvic1.gif
You are a god amongst robotniks mama. Well played :lol

Kifimbo

notworksafe said:
If SC2 sold 721K units, why is it not #1 on that list? It's beating the snot out of everything!

NPD has a different list for PC games. We usually don't get numbers.

Also, why are people screaming in joy at DQIX numbers, am I missing something here?

Because DQ was never popular outside of Japan.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whys people all like happy for DQ when it did only around 100k?? Thats prolly better then IV & V combined but hardly the sales success Nintendo was supposed ta help make it in the west o_O

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii HD next year--bet on it.

Mrbob

It is tough to gauge since we only get a handful of numbers, but you don't see top end software growth going in line with 360 hardware growth. The 360 hardware number is amazing, yet NCAA 11 is down year over year on 360 for software sales (very slightly but it is) and Crackdown 2 sold under half on a much larger user base and a crazy hardware month. Not sure what to make of it, but does it help a theory that a lot of the slims being sold are by previous owners? I honestly don't know.

Lindsay said:
Whys people all like happy for DQ when it did only around 100k?? Thats prolly better then IV & V combined but hardly the sales success Nintendo was supposed ta help make it in the west o_O

100k is a success story for DQ in the US

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Eteric Rice said:
Nice for DQIX. Now they just need to build the series up from there.

Did Ninty throw some marketing dollars behind this or has word of the series finally reached our shores?

Chozo

timetokill said:
So the Wii is actually (very slightly) UP YOY, and without a major title like Wii Sports Resort to propel it?

Crazy. Adds a lot of perspective. Wii will probably clean house again this holiday.

Yeah, but so are the PS3 and the 360. Wii also had NSMB Wii last holiday: I'm not sure any of Nintendo's upcoming titles are going to be that massive.

Road

timetokill said:

Can you imagine if the Wii were cheaper this year than last year?

Crazy.

Lindsay said:
Its probably outside previous entries already, if that puts it into perspective. :lol

Road said:
Can you imagine if the Wii were cheaper this year than last year?

Crazy.
So is every other console.

Plinko said:
Wii HD next year--bet on it.
I'll take it, ban bet?

Zen

Banned
LordPhoque said:
You still believe it ? :lol

Well it was entirely real at one point and backed up very irrefutably by Gamestop not to say that it's currently ongoing this month.

Lindsay said:

Lowered expectations since DQ doesn't do as well in the west?

Busaiku

Road said:
Or is it?

NPD - WII LTD as of July 31st: 29.9 million

Difference is 0.3% if we assume Nintendo's LTD as exactly 30 million.
Ahh, guess there's also the fact that Nintendo released their numbers 2 days ago, and it could've been to that day.
So I guess the difference isn't that big.

Paracelsus

Mrbob said:
It is tough to gauge since we only get a handful of numbers, but you don't see top end software growth going in line with 360 hardware growth. The 360 hardware number is amazing, yet NCAA 11 is down year over year on 360 for software sales (very slightly but it is) and Crackdown 2 sold under half on a much larger user base and a crazy hardware month. Not sure what to make of it, but does it help a theory that a lot of the slims being sold are by previous owners? I honestly don't know.

Or maybe who bought those 360s is not your average xbox player, which is exactly what Microsoft wants I guess.

Summer not so hot for Wii. Can they again make up the difference at holiday time? Do they go $150 or wait and then quick burn before the new thing in 2012?

Even with the sales it will not be a cash cow like PS2 was in years 5-10. Wii is fairly dependent on Nintendo itself infusing with software. And they will cut and move to next system.

Aeana

Paracelsus said:
DQ9's position means it probably did 80k or higher, which would put it on par (or better) than DQ8's opening in the US, and about 3x higher than DQ4 DS's (let's not speak of DQ5's).

Rainier

SEGAmaniaco said:
ps3 shortage is really bad
:lol :lol

Anyone want to add 'When shortages end' to the chalkboard? Geez man, let MS enjoy the moment (and possibly the next few months as well) until the Wii takes back its crown for Nov/Dec.

ViperVisor said:
Summer not so hot for Wii. Can they again make up the difference at holiday time? Do they go $150 or wait and then quick burn before the new thing in 2012?

Even with the sales it will not be a cash cow like PS2 was in years 5-10. Wii is fairly dependent on Nintendo itself infusing with software. And they will cut and move to next system.

Again, they're even (actually slightly up) compared with last year (YOY).

At least for this month, there is no "difference" to make up. They didn't even have Wii Sports Resort this year like they did last year.

It seems evident that Wii is increasingly holiday-loaded, probably more so than the other consoles. I have no doubt that it's going to make a killing this holiday again.

Paracelsus

Aeana said:
DQ9's position means it probably did 80k or higher, which would put it on par (or better) than DQ8's opening in the US, and about 3x higher than DQ4 DS's (let's not speak of DQ5's).

...I thought that for some unspecified reason DQ did better than that in the states. In that case yeah, good reason to celebrate indeed.

Mrbob

Paracelsus said:
Or maybe who bought those 360s is not your average xbox player, which is exactly what Microsoft wants I guess.

It is possible. Maybe people were waiting for a big hdd and wireless included? After seeing these numbers, outside of a kinectabomb, it might be possible for the 360 to have better holiday numbers than the Wii.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
timetokill said:
100k is a success story for DQ in the US
BishopLamont said:
Its probably outside previous entries already, if that puts it into perspective. :lol

DQVIII FFXII demo?

Infinite Justice said:
Lowered expectations since DQ doesn't do as well in the west?

Well yeah the expectations were low that was the point on Ninty publishing and advertising wasn't it? Plus it was $5 cheaper then DQIV/V and released in a month void of big game releases as the top 10 shows. I dunno I was just hoping for something bigger I guess.

Mrbob said:
It is possible. Maybe people were waiting for a big hdd and wireless included? After seeing these numbers, outside of a kinectabomb, it might be possible for the 360 to have better holiday numbers than the Wii.
The Wii will still outsell the 360 this holiday.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, so.

PSP is done, pretty much.

Wii is slipping some now.
Yes I know it's up YoY. I meant in relative terms to the other platforms.

Fantastic 360 month. The slim (and I assume clearance prices on some of the older models) is doing well for them.

zero_suit

ViperVisor said:

Doesn't matter since Nintendo has made more profits this generation than Sony has since they entered the market.

Mafro

jetjevons said:
Did Ninty throw some marketing dollars behind this or has word of the series finally reached our shores?
Yeah they had a big marketing campaign, including adds with Seth Green.

Chozo

Lindsay said:
Well yeah the expectations were low that was the point on Ninty publishing and advertising wasn't it? Plus it was $5 cheaper then DQIV/V and released in a month void of big game releases as the top 10 shows. I dunno I was just hoping for something bigger I guess.

I don't know, I would consider Starcraft 2 the mother of all big game releases personally.

(Yeah yeah, I know they're in two different genres. Just saying).

Honestly, I think people need to moderate their expectations. A niche game series isn't likely to suddenly hit it big in the west just because Seth Green is shilling for it or an angry Scotsman is ranting about the masculinity of crab fishermen.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
BishopLamont said:
The Wii will still outsell the 360 this holiday.

Probably depends on wether or not Microsoft drop the price of the Slim to $150/$250 for the holidays. Would be interesting to see what happens if both Microsft and Nintendo drop their pirces.

suaveric

[Nintex] said:
Still strange that Nintendo is replacing this:
Nintendo DS 398.4K

Instead of this:
Wii 253.9K

Wii2 or a refresh of the current system has to show up soon, Donkey Kong, Kirby and Metroid aren't going to make it explode like Mario did and neither will Zelda or Pikmin next year.

The DS is starting to slow down in Japan. Which is why we have the 3DS coming soon. If I remember correctly, the GBA was still selling gangbusters when the original DS was released here in the US and it continued to do so for a long time after that.

As for the Wii, it would not shock me to see its replacement announced by next E3.

Top Bottom