• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Baki

Chris1964 said:
In your mind maybe it's simple, reality is different.

haha...360 is on top for one NPD and suddenly everyone is predicting Kinect to be the next Wii. :lol

Sydle

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'd say that MS has made many decisions that have handicapped the 360's maximum selling potential (key ones being LIVE pricing and console pricing) that have been for the sake of profitability. But none of these decisions exist in a vacuum.

The only reason they've been able to get away with most of it is because Sony made a catastrophically bad decision with the launch price of the PS3 and some of the quirky functionality of early PSN. If the 360 slim had not launched when it did (or sometime this year), MS would have had to seriously consider an immediate price drop to stem the bleeding of their marketshare.

That's been the story pretty much the entire generation - MS is content with whatever level of sales they have as long as they are equal or greater than the PS3, especially in North America. Up until the announcement of Kinect, every move they've made has been to eat Sony's lunch, completely ignoring Nintendo aside from pimping the occasional lipservice titles of Lips, Scene It, Rock Band, and Rare games. The $299 Kinect bundle is the only indication that MS seems somewhat ready to explore this new marketing segment, the standalone price is almost as big of a joke as the HD-DVD drive.

What is so strange about trying to maximize revenue? Live has become a huge revenue maker that continues to grow every quarter. It's become my favorite part of the console, and I'll continue paying for it like millions of others.

The only reason Sony ever took off is because Nintendo fucked up. It happens, and if the competitor doesn't take advantage then I'd say that's pretty stupid. PSN is still quirky, but getting better all the time. It's still not up to Live standards though. If Sony hadn't launched PS3 Slim last year then they would be in trouble. MS responds with their own redesign, is there something wrong there?

Microsoft has been steadily managing market share growth, revenue growth, and profitability. It's a pretty sound business strategy, or at least a better story than Sony blowing all the profitability they ever made off the Playstation brand in a couple of years.

Really, people pay almost $200 for Rock Band, almost $100 for accessories such as Wii Fit and Guitar Hero, they sell in droves, and you think $150 is outrageous? Really?

Bizzyb

Banned
farnham said:
yeah it wont

it will probably reach sin and punishment 2/ excitebots numbers

fixed

I'm inclined to believe you made this post purely for replies and that you yourself do not even believe such tripe.

Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. no it's not bigger than Zelda or Mario but to say it will do Sin and Punishment/Excitebots numbers (two fairly unknown franchises) makes me assume you are just talking shit to be talking shit.

Okay, this is why I don't post on the Gaming side anymore.

Every time a new NPD thread pops up, it's all 'doom and gloom' for the PS3 when in reality, the console that is doomed is the Xbox 360. The temporary increase in sales is most likely secondary to two factors. Firstly, buyers are being sucked into the novelty of buying what basically is a re-badged (almost) obsolescent system. As such, once the novelty wears off, people will realize that the Slim is nothing more than a shiny coat of paint on an old jalopy and stop buying. Secondly, a majority of people are buying the discount fire-sale 360 arcades for $150, which have been artificially inflating sales numbers. Since it's not like the Slim is wanted or anything, once the out-of-production models have run dry, I expect sales to drop heavily with each successive month after this plateau month.

Sydle

Adam Blade said:

Every time a new NPD thread pops up, it's all 'doom and gloom' for the PS3 when in reality, the console that is doomed is the Xbox 360. The temporary increase in sales is most likely secondary to two factors. Firstly, buyers are being sucked into the novelty of buying what basically is a re-badged (almost) obsolescent system. As such, once the novelty wears off, people will realize that the Slim is nothing more than a shiny coat of paint on an old jalopy and stop buying. Secondly, a majority of people are buying the discount fire-sale 360 arcades for $150, which have been artificially inflating sales numbers. Since it's not like the Slim is wanted or anything, once the out-of-production models have run dry, I expect sales to drop heavily with each successive month after this plateau month.

Sorry, someone already wrote the most ridiculous post in this thread. Should get here faster next time.

AniHawk

Paco said:
Sorry, someone already wrote the most ridiculous post in this thread. Should get here faster next time.
Go easy on him, he's a Clippers fan.

Also an Angels fan.

Kind of a rough year.

RedStep

Adam Blade said:

Okay, I think this one is the joke post. I'll put $5 on it.

Adam Blade said:
Every time a new NPD thread pops up, it's all 'doom and gloom' for the PS3 when in reality, the console that is doomed is the Xbox 360. The temporary increase in sales...
PS3 aside (it's doing ok), even before the release of the S model the 360 was up this year vs last year. In fact, the first 5 months of 2010 in the US have been by far the best opening to any year for the 360 since it was released.

I'll assume you didn't really know any of that because you don't visit the gaming side very often.

Lunchbox said:
L0vp0.gif

I like Eboue-boue!

You've only come to see Eboue!

New season, Come on Arsenal!

Psychotext said:
I'll assume you didn't really know any of that because you don't visit the gaming side very often.

I may not visit nor post on the Gaming side as much as you do, but there are certain things I think everyone knows to be true.

With the PS3, you have innovation and progress as exemplified with Move. As you can see in this video, Move allows you to enjoy the company of like-minded people who are understandably excited by the combination of motion gameplay and HD graphics that only the PS3 can offer.

On the other hand with the Xbox 360, you have people like this, who are clearly not representative of the general populace. In fact, this entire Xbox 360 ad campaign shows how much MS is out of touch with the average consumer. While I'm sure there are people who would be taken in by this, pandering to the otaku subset in Japan has marginalized the Xbox 360 and paved the way for the PS3's success.

The PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide in every country but the US. With current projections, the PS3 is set to overtake the 360 worldwide by Spring 2011, at which point in time, MS will have to settle once again for lonely third place in the generation. Considering that they started off in first place, this is really a pitiful (and counting all of their ineffective attempts at buying exclusives and money sunk into marketing) expensive way to finish a generation.

Adam Blade said:
I may not visit nor post on the Gaming side as much as you do, but there are certain things I think everyone knows to be true.

With the PS3, you have innovation and progress as exemplified with Move. As you can see in this video, Move allows you to enjoy the company of like-minded people who are understandably excited by the combination of motion gameplay and HD graphics that only the PS3 can offer.

On the other hand with the Xbox 360, you have people like this, who are clearly not representative of the general populace. In fact, this entire Xbox 360 ad campaign shows how much MS is out of touch with the average consumer. While I'm sure there are people who would be taken in by this, pandering to the otaku subset in Japan has marginalized the Xbox 360 and paved the way for the PS3's success.

The PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide in every country but the US. With current projections, the PS3 is set to overtake the 360 worldwide by Spring 2011, at which point in time, MS will have to settle once again for lonely third place in the generation. Considering that they started off in first place, this is really a pitiful (and counting all of their ineffective attempts at buying exclusives and money sunk into marketing) expensive way to finish a generation.

:lol

Adam Blade said:
That's nice and all, but this is an NPD thread.

As for expensive and ineffectual, their gaming division has been profitable for the last three years now, and will likely be for rest of the gen. For better or for worse they've made the choice to sacrifice marketshare for profitability.

(On a different note, you care WAY too much)

gillty

Banned
Adam Blade said:

<3 :lol

Arnie

Adam Blade said:

Oh dear.

Vorg

Banned
Adam Blade said:

Holy shit! Bravo!:lol

farnham said:
the thing is. we dont know their lineup. all we know is their holiday 2010 lineup and zelda for 2011.

We know that they don't have a giant expanded-market mega-hit on tap for this holiday season and that such titles have been thinner on the ground, which is enough to draw conclusions about this.

poppabk said:
But the PS3's failure and subsequent rebirth demonstrate how striking while the iron is hot isn't necessarily the way to maintain mindshare - because it doesn't necessarily transfer from one platform to the next.

Well, not if you demonstrate such astonishing, ming-boggling incompetence as to completely destroy your mindshare in one single magnificent failure, no, I suppose not.

Chris1964 said:
Wii is off its game for almost 2 years in Japan and selling outrageously didn't last more than 9 months. Its current situation in Japan isn't something new. One way or the other at Wii will retain its sales in Japan at 2011. The situation in West next year should be more worrying.

I... don't disagree with any of this? Seriously my only point was that there wasn't much reason to worry in the West (relative to Japan) until recently so that's why people haven't fully adjusted their perceptions yet.

knitoe said:
That's if Wii sale stay on pace as previous years.

The idea that the Wii will have anything but a monster Xmas is pretty unbelievable. Even the Gamecube put up insane holidays compared to its moribund Jan - Oct numbers.

Adam Blade said:

16ad3ie.gif

gdt

Adam Blade said:

so good

Aika'svyse

I'd like to see MS recoup some of the money they lost. If we look at just the 360 alone i believe the have a shot at recuperating the money that went into the 360 project. Sony on the other hand has alot of work to do. I predict some nice profits on the tail end for the PS3. The next gen of consoles will be more interesting than these were in that the whole razor blade model is going out the window I believe. I just cant see Sony jumping into the red again so quickly.

Adam Blade said:

This is amazing :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can see Sin and Punishment 2 has become the benchmark for bombing on Wii.

Fuck you, guys. :(

Adam Blade said:

Now I'm cheered up again.

Dai101

Banned
Adam Blade said:

GAF never fails to deliver.

Cheech

Regulus Tera said:
Now I'm cheered up again.

I wonder if he was trying to make an ironic point about the other guy's post, not realizing he had been closed up for shop already? :lol

I do have a mea culpa from earlier in the thread. I noted that if Wii HD launched at least a year ahead of the next Xbox/PS, they had a good chance of "putting Sony (and possibly MS) out of the console business".

What I did not realize, and I researched it after somebody pointed it out, but Sony has been doing much better lately as a company than I thought. My thinking with the original statement was that Microsoft had a much bigger war chest to burn to make sure they had an "all in one" box in the living room than Sony did.

What does concern me about Sony's direction with their PlayStation business is their obsession with 3D. The E3 demo had the flavor of, "We know Move is not going to be a big seller because our competition quantum leaped us, but look at this sweet 3D stuff!"

If people don't have $600 to spend on a console, what makes them think people can afford to replace their HDTVs already? Personally, I have two tremendously expensive HDTVs, neither of which is more than 4 years old, and neither can display 3D. The PS5 will be in the wings before I replace either of those guys!

Regulus Tera said:
I can see Sin and Punishment 2 has become the benchmark for bombing on Wii.

Fuck you, guys. :(

Yeah. I'm afraid to know the actual number. Game is so good.

My only solace is that perhaps Nintendo will blame the game's performance on the overall ecosystem of Wii and not on the property itself. For instance, Wario Land bombed, but we'll probably see another one in the future. Hopefully, the same with S&P.

Lebron

Adam Blade said:
Considering that they started off in first place, this is really a pitiful expensive way to finish a generation.
Hey man, leave Sony alone. Just because they went from 100 million + with the PS2 to trailing behind the Party System and the American Menace doesn't mean the PS3 still isn't a good system. Stop getting worked up in sales ages, our comeback will be swift and glorious come next gen, kiddo. I hope to see you at the yearly Kutaragi rally in November.

The girl in my avatar is Ariel Meredith. Yes, I can read minds too.

Adam Blade said:

Like a great book, this post gets better and better every time you read it.

Adam Blade said:

No, I think you don't post here because

you_mad.jpg

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Cheech said:
What does concern me about Sony's direction with their PlayStation business is their obsession with 3D. The E3 demo had the flavor of, "We know Move is not going to be a big seller because our competition quantum leaped us, but look at this sweet 3D stuff!"

If people don't have $600 to spend on a console, what makes them think people can afford to replace their HDTVs already? Personally, I have two tremendously expensive HDTVs, neither of which is more than 4 years old, and neither can display 3D. The PS5 will be in the wings before I replace either of those guys!

Sony and their leadership with 3d is great for all gamers. They have a long term vision. Those 3d HDTVs will open up the potential for 120 frames per second 2d games.

Ken Kutaragi has been correct on this issue for a very long time. The United States Air Force has tested higher frame rates on pilots and they consistently can detect image difference @ 220fps.

unomas

Banned
Bought my 360 slim last month after having sold my 20gb last fall, definiitely worth the re-buy. It should be interesting to see how it turns out for the 360 over the next few months with Halo Reach and Kinect coming. I'm probably completely off the mark, but I don't think Reach will do as well as Halo 3 did. Kinect certainly has the potential to expand the userbase though, and now with PS3 move on the way we'll be in full on motion control gen.

wizword

Banned
Baki said:
haha...360 is on top for one NPD and suddenly everyone is predicting Kinect to be the next Wii. :lol
Well npd is amusing. It is the sordid fact that xbox 360 is going to drop 200k next month that people forget. Rather an anomaly than a predictor of the future.

feel

Adam Blade said:

Now that's the stuff NPD threads are legendary for. :lol

goldenpp72

Freezie KO said:
Yeah. I'm afraid to know the actual number. Game is so good.

My only solace is that perhaps Nintendo will blame the game's performance on the overall ecosystem of Wii and not on the property itself. For instance, Wario Land bombed, but we'll probably see another one in the future. Hopefully, the same with S&P.

Uh, you do know there isn't a moral system to game making right, if there is no chance the game will profit they won't make it. Nintendo won't just say 'o well it's on wii so that was ok it bombed lulz sequel time' The first game never came to america and the second I believe sold less than 15k in america, so that sucks but yeah..

They seem too smart for that, I wouldn't expect to see another sin and punishment on a console.

Adam Blade said:
The PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide in every country but the US. With current projections, the PS3 is set to overtake the 360 worldwide by Spring 2011, at which point in time, MS will have to settle once again for lonely third place in the generation.
1st- PS2 at 144 Million Worldwide and counting
2nd- Xbox at 24 Million Worldwide
3rd- Gamecube 22 Million Worldwide
4th- Dreamcast 10.6 Million Worldwide

Just in-case anybody took Adam seriously, this is a reminder of how the previous generation actually ended.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stop with the Dreamcast numbers, you're gonna make me cry.

Or remind me why the evil beast Playstation converted me after DC's death. They killed my father and turned me to the dark side.

Momo

Banned
I have only two dreamcasts left, one of them is starting to sound sick :(

@Adam perhaps you should express yourself differently, you're making some really sketchy sales predictions there :lol

imo Has the xbox done anything to deserve those sales? No. Is Sony a better gaming company? Yes. I have both an xbox and a ps3 and I have realised a few years ago Microsoft isnt a company that has a gaming profile/library that interests me. (Monster Hunter Frontier apart, but I got to play that on PC)

I wont however sit here and bang my drum about how the xbox wont sell because I prefer the competitions output/vision ;)

Everyone is different and prefer different things, what you or I or anyone perceives as a "truth" in a subjective market is relative.

Momo said:
I have only two dreamcasts left, one of them is starting to sound sick :(

@Adam perhaps you should express yourself differently, you're making some really sketchy sales predictions there :lol

imo Has the xbox done anything to deserve those sales? No. Is Sony a better gaming company? Yes. I have both an xbox and a ps3 and I have realised a few years ago Microsoft isnt a company that has a gaming profile/library that interests me. (Monster Hunter Frontier apart, but I got to play that on PC)

I wont however sit here and bang my drum about how the xbox wont sell because I prefer the competitions output/vision ;)

Everyone is different and prefer different things, what you or I or anyone perceives as a "truth" in a subjective market is relative.

I have to disagree, I think MS has done plenty this gen to deserve the sales they are getting, especially in regard to on-line console gaming. I don't agree with everything they do, especially this year but to said they don't deserve the sales is the same as those that baning their drums that Xbox won't sell.

I think it's pretty remarkable that they can sell 400k+ consoles in July, which must mean there are at 400k who think MS deserve the sales.

a Master Ninja said:
1st- PS2 at 144 Million Worldwide and counting
2nd- Xbox at 24 Million Worldwide
3rd- Gamecube 22 Million Worldwide
4th- Dreamcast 10.6 Million Worldwide

Just in-case anybody took Adam seriously, this is a reminder of how the previous generation actually ended.

Good point, but nobody who takes him seriously will berieve..

Momo

Banned
antiquegamer said:
I have to disagree, I think MS has done plenty this gen to deserve the sales they are getting, especially in regard to on-line console gaming. I don't agree with everything they do, especially this year but to said they don't deserve the sales is the same as those that baning their drums that Xbox won't sell.

I think it's pretty remarkable that they can sell 400k+ consoles in July, which must mean there are at 400k who think MS deserve the sales.
I'm speaking specifically about this NPD :p I myself have an xbox so at one point I did think their console was worth my money!

Also, it's my opinion, in my opinion they don't, they have done nothing to excite me as a gamer.

Like I said from my point of view, no they don't, but I am not everyone and the market is not me ;)

Top Bottom