• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

bycha said:
This generation is very different from any other and of the main reasons is RROD.

NPDs Xbox 360 numbers every month are irrelevant unless we understand how many of those sales were made by existing Xbox 360 users.

Without this information we don't have any solid information about it's userbase.

We can only estimate it.

What's more interesting is 3rd party software sales. It's pretty bad for Microsoft. PS3s userbase is much more active in buying average 3rd party releases -- those without exclusive content or bad technical condition for one of the platforms (like RDR).

This month we see that while PS3/Xbox 360 hardware userbase is roughly 1 : 1.7 best selling average 3rd party release this month NCAA FOOTBALL 11 showed 1 : 1.23 ratio.

Also when we read publishers results with profit per platform, PS3s share is generally higher than 360s.
Software sales don't scale in direct proportion to userbase. If they did, PS2 software sold like biggest pile of dogshit in the history of the universe. But they don't.

Since FortunateSon has gone off to do other things, maybe you'd like to field how the 360 has the highest software attach ratio if those hardware sales are supposedly going to pre-existing owners?

Shnookums

bycha said:
This generation is very different from any other and of the main reasons is RROD.

NPDs Xbox 360 numbers every month are irrelevant unless we understand how many of those sales were made by existing Xbox 360 users.

Without this information we don't have any solid information about it's userbase.

We can't be sure of any of the numbers. We don't know how many people had a rrod and said screw this and bought a PS3, or a Wii, or just gave up on consoles altogether and joined the glorious PC master race. It's truly an enigma for the ages.

FrankT

bycha said:
Also when we read publishers results with profit per platform, PS3s share is generally higher than 360s.

Fud and it's never posted as profit it's posted as net revenue.

EA for the last year plus one;

Platform Net Revenue
Xbox 360 73 171 348 276 262 259 % 5Q total $1.38 billion
PLAYSTATION 3 121 142 236 272 209 73 % 5Q total $1.05 billion

Same is true for Acitivsion;

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Activision-Blizzard-Announces-prnews-2946807902.html?x=0&.v=1

No point in pulling Ubisoft since it should be heavily slanted with SCC in the last quarter.

Cheech said:
Having had a 360 since launch, I have owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 controllers for the thing. I don't expect that is anywhere near the norm, but don't most people still buy second/third controllers for their systems?

I have no idea why anyone would buy a third controller for their 360.

Four_Chamber said:
Man these juniors are like one gigantic hive mind spewing this re-buying 360s argument :lol
I miss the npd thread from a few months ago when this piffle was being banned left and right in the npd thread.

Also, RROD also apparently destroys all of your games, so when you rebuy your console you buy a bunch of replacement games too. It's the only explanation for why the 360 sells software still to all of those rebuyers.

elrechazao said:
Also, RROD also apparently destroys all of your games, so when you rebuy your console you buy a bunch of replacement games too. It's the only explanation for why the 360 sells software still to all of those rebuyers.
:lol

By the way, I've gone through a ton of controllers too. Mostly they just get the nubs worn down and the sticks get loose, although I always have 4 on hand in case friends come over and want to play Call of Duty or something.

Sydle

elrechazao said:

Meh. Everyone is just going to put their own spin. It's beyond retarded how defensive people get when you say that 360's sell to a bunch of pre-existing customers, it's a FACT. Whether you like it or not. It's not like rrod was a small % either, it was a huge %. Seriously, all you people that are calling me out, you can't prove otherwise, you can't prove shit either.

Man these juniors are like one gigantic hive mind spewing this re-buying 360s argument

People like you make it worst. What the fuck is with this damn elitism that for some reason, when people actually try to say something RELEVANT, is it not true, that Ms itself stated they had a high %, not sure if it was Ms or another source that claimed they had a high % of rrod's. The actualy numbers? No one ever knows. Same to everyone in this thread, that is just going by what they know, and not any factual data. Shit. Who knows, 6 million could be pre-existing customers or new.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've yet to see an NPD without console wars being brought up. :p

ZZMitch

FortunateSon said:
Meh. Everyone is just going to put their own spin. It's beyond retarded how defensive people get when you say that 360's sell to a bunch of pre-existing customers, it's a FACT. Whether you like it or not. It's not like rrod was a small % either, it was a huge %. Seriously, all you people that are calling me out, you can't prove otherwise, you can't prove shit either.

hmmmm

FortunateSon said:

People like you make it worst. What the fuck is with this damn elitism that for some reason, when people actually try to say something RELEVANT, is it not true, that Ms itself stated they had a high %, not sure if it was Ms or another source that claimed they had a high % of rrod's. The actualy numbers? No one ever knows. Same to everyone in this thread, that is just going by what they know, and not any factual data. Shit. Who knows, 6 million could be pre-existing customers or new.
I wish I had a good umad gif right now.:lol

FrankT

ZZMitch said:

Good stuff. Surprised Dragona hasn't come up in here like the November NPD thread. It was banned consoles that month right. Ah what to look forward to next in September.

Arnie

FortunateSon said:
It's not like rrod was a small % either, it was a huge %.
Yes but I don't think that has major relevance in this sales thread because why are people going to go out and re-buy a 360 when you can have Microsoft ship you a new console for free? Your logic doesn't work, a red ringed 360 doesn't equal one new sale.

If this is just a sample if the people who expected the 360 to fade into obscurity after last Christmas, the next 5 NPDs are going to be a goddamn riot.

"When the 360 crosses 50 million, it will be because every last Xbox owner from last gen, those stubborn gits, bought a second one and put the first one in their garage with the Atari 2600. No one could possibly be interested in the games and services MS has to offer, GAF said so in that thread where the guy asked if he should buy a 360, we set him straight pretty quick I'm sure of it. All those 4GB Kinect bundles are just selling to RROD victims who grew tired of paying to play washed up fps like Halo and Gears, so they sold their Elites (to other 360 owners) to jettison the hard drive. DERP DERP DERP."

FortunateSon said:

http://i38.tinypic.com/hty6as.gif

jtb

Banned
Can someone explain to me why the RROD argument is even valid? Everyone gets the three year warranty on RROD and after 2008 or so, it seemed that RROD wasn't even a problem - down to much more acceptable standards, and I'm pretty sure those levels continued with the introduction of the Slim.

elrechazao said:
I wish I had a good umad gif right now.:lol
v8g8w.jpg

bj00rn_

Banned
bycha said:

We can only estimate it.

What's more interesting is 3rd party software sales. It's pretty bad for Microsoft. PS3s userbase is much more active in buying average 3rd party releases -- those without exclusive content or bad technical condition for one of the platforms (like RDR).

This month we see that while PS3/Xbox 360 hardware userbase is roughly 1 : 1.7 best selling average 3rd party release this month NCAA FOOTBALL 11 showed 1 : 1.23 ratio.

n6LcL.gif

sphinx

the piano man
the walrus said:
Can someone explain to me why the RROD argument is even valid? Everyone gets the three year warranty on RROD and after 2008 or so, it seemed that RROD wasn't even a problem - down to much more acceptable standards, and I'm pretty sure those levels continued with the introduction of the Slim.

And as far as I know, the warranty renews itself for another 3 years when you get your fixed console.

FortunateSon said:

Again just in case you miss many of the responses to your post the fact that 360 have almost 9 games attach rate. I assure you I did not go out and re-buy all my games when I got mine 360s nor did I stash the old console away just to help pad the npd number.

RedStep

Megadragon15 said:
There seems to be a lot of damage control in this thread.

Exactly. Just accept that the PS3 won this month (in terms of new owners added) and move on!

I'm kidding, don't lump me in with those other juniors.

bill0527

Segata Sanshiro said:
Since FortunateSon has gone off to do other things, maybe you'd like to field how the 360 has the highest software attach ratio if those hardware sales are supposedly going to pre-existing owners?

Neither one are going to come up with any theory as to why the 360 has such a high attach rate.

FortunateSon has stated his "facts" while completely ignoring the attach rate, and you "can't prove shit otherwise".

Its like trying to have a conversation with a soundboard.

Jonsoncao

Banned
FortunateSon said:

:lol :lol :lol
nice performance, kid

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I seem to remember Sony fans laughing at the "replacement due to faulty hardware" argument in regards to the PS2's amazing sales just a few years ago.

charsace

Adam Blade said:
Okay, this is why I don't post on the Gaming side anymore.

Every time a new NPD thread pops up, it's all 'doom and gloom' for the PS3 when in reality, the console that is doomed is the Xbox 360. The temporary increase in sales is most likely secondary to two factors. Firstly, buyers are being sucked into the novelty of buying what basically is a re-badged (almost) obsolescent system. As such, once the novelty wears off, people will realize that the Slim is nothing more than a shiny coat of paint on an old jalopy and stop buying. Secondly, a majority of people are buying the discount fire-sale 360 arcades for $150, which have been artificially inflating sales numbers. Since it's not like the Slim is wanted or anything, once the out-of-production models have run dry, I expect sales to drop heavily with each successive month after this plateau month.
Agreed. The current 360 sales are manufactured. Once the clearance (old white) 360's have been exhausted the 360 sales will fall faster than Bush Jr's approval rating. So around January NPD be prepared for the massive drop in sales numbers of the 360.

The Wii's popularity is also tailing off. The people want something fresh and the Wii's library is shrinking with every third party that jumps off the wagon.

By Christmas 2011 the PS3 will be close to the Wii. Price drops will come and those tens of millions of casual PS2 owners will start jumping in.

The move will also help Sony immensely. It takes what the Wii does and upgrades it. Add to that Sony's non move games like Resistance 2, Heavenly Sword and Lair and you have the best system this gen. Maybe even the best system ever if Sony copies Xbox Live.

bill0527

Jive Turkey said:
I seem to remember Sony fans laughing at the "replacement due to faulty hardware" argument in regards to the PS2's amazing sales just a few years ago.

They also conveniently forget that Sony had to be dragged into court with a class action lawsuit (which they settled), over the massive DRE problem. Sony still to this day will not publicly acknowledge that they were shipping faulty PS2 systems.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/jakx/news.html?sid=6139482

ZZMitch

charsace said:
Agreed. The current 360 sales are manufactured. Once the clearance (old white) 360's have been exhausted the 360 sales will fall faster than Bush Jr's approval rating. So around January NPD be prepared for the massive drop in sales numbers of the 360.

The Wii's popularity is also tailing off. The people want something fresh and the Wii's library is shrinking with every third party that jumps off the wagon.

By Christmas 2011 the PS3 will be close to the Wii. Price drops will come and those tens of millions of casual PS2 owners will start jumping in.

The move will also help Sony immensely. It takes what the Wii does and upgrades it. Add to that Sony's non move games like Resistance 2, Heavenly Sword and Lair and you have the best system this this gen. Maybe even the best system ever if Sony copies Xbox Live.

Awesome, bolded got me. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the software attach ratios for the PS2, PS3, 360, Wii, NDS, and PSP?

neptunes

FortunateSon said:
In your opinion, how much of July's 360 sales were from "Pre-existing" customers? In percentage...

antiquegamer said:
Oh replacement console do not get 3 more years it is 3 years from original purchase date.

I think I remember being told that my 360's warranty would be renewed when I was sending it in for repair for RRoD a couple of years ago...
Maybe I'm mistaken? Or perhaps things have changed since then.

Emonk

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
360 has no exclusives!!!

WTF MICROSOFT WHY NO PC VERSION?

This back and forth never gets old.

I didn't realize I was walking into some sort of holy war, or I would never have gotten involved.

As soon as a game came out that I wanted to play and couldn't get on another system, I bought a 360. Nothing came out between Mass Effect and early 2010 on the 360 that I was interested in buying that I couldn't get on PS3 or PC. After a few years of not being used I decided to cut my losses and get something for it. A buddy of mine offered me $100 so he could have a backup 360, so I obliged.

In that time period, only playing through Mass Effect a few times, I had a hard drive fail and get replaced, and the disc drive started only ejecting halfway for about six months. It eventually fixed itself oddly enough. Never had the RROD though, so I guess I'm lucky for that, and MS replaced the HDD for free.

I think the hardware is shit, I hate the fact that I'm expected to pay for online, and I find the advertising on the dashboard ugly and offensive. For me it was not worth the money I spent on it, and it will take a hell of a lot more than Kinect to get me to buy another piece of their hardware ever again.

Lyude77

Jtyettis said:
Ok so it's just a mere bump now. Not sure what that even means. The Halo bundle alone will push the HW that month just like H3. 400+ easily book it.
The reason that people think it won't have a huge hardware effect is precisely because of Halo 3. The audience that wants Reach should already have a 360 because it appeals to those same people (as well as the MW2 audience). I still think that it and Black Ops will have more of a World at War kind of hardware effect than a Halo 3 one. I'll wait to see how much the 360 drops or maintains momentum in August before I give a prediction, though I'll say I don't think it'll be more than a 50k bump on that. I admit I'm probably underestimating because games like this make a bigger impact in the first month but lack a long-term impact, but I'd change my estimate based on August.

bill0527 said:
They also conveniently forget that Sony had to be dragged into court with a class action lawsuit (which they settled), over the massive DRE problem. Sony still to this day will not publicly acknowledge that they were shipping faulty PS2 systems.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/jakx/news.html?sid=6139482
If they'd admit that 110 million of the PS2s sales were just people rebuying the system because of DRE, then I might start to believe that 5 million 360s are rebuys. :lol

FrankT

Lyude77 said:
The reason that people think it won't have a huge hardware effect is precisely because of Halo 3. The audience that wants Reach should already have a 360 because it appeals to those same people (as well as the MW2 audience). I still think that it and Black Ops will have more of a World at War kind of hardware effect than a Halo 3 one. I'll wait to see how much the 360 drops or maintains momentum in August before I give a prediction, though I'll say I don't think it'll be more than a 50k bump on that. I admit I'm probably underestimating because games like this make a bigger impact in the first month but lack a long-term impact, but I'd change my estimate based on August.

If they'd admit that 110 million of the PS2s sales were just people rebuying the system because of DRE, then I might start to believe that 5 million 360s are rebuys. :lol

50k above and beyond August? It will do that alone due to 5 weeks versus 4. If ODST can get it to 351k last year Reach with a dedicated launch slim console will surely provide for 400k plus taking into account the Slim overall, marketing, word of mouth, scores, ect. It’s not even really a leap to see that kind of bump to be honest. Will it do Halo 3 HW numbers in Sept ehh not so sure.

bill0527 said:
Neither one are going to come up with any theory as to why the 360 has such a high attach rate.

FortunateSon has stated his "facts" while completely ignoring the attach rate, and you "can't prove shit otherwise".

Its like trying to have a conversation with a soundboard.

I find that offensive, insulting to say the least. I get it. I'm just dumb, I don't do attach rates because I know, they are too many unexplained factors involved. So many ways to intepret things.

Anyways, you think these other so called posters (that call my theory bullshit, void, retarded or especially this = :lol :lol :lol ) have valid facts to counter my theory? Man, like I said, it's like a fucking circle jerk. Get real.

I remember a survey from game informer, they stated that they surveyed 6,000 people, now I'm not sure, this is just from what I remember and apparently, 50% said they had rrod problem, mind you; this is old data not new. And out of that, only 4% or something like that said that they wouldn't buy a 360, I know, it's not factual, but so is nothing in this thread till you see it for yourself and know it.

So is that evidence enough for people to believe 4% out of 6,000 people, man, that is a lot of people buying 360's again. We could assume and extrapolate from that data right? Why not? I see people doing the same shit in this thread?

Jesus, I'm not saying 360 doesn't have NEW customers, I'm just saying a good amount of their sales are to pre-existing customers, for some reason, the 360 fans in this thread are really hurt when they hear someone say that? It's like they don't want to hear it, hey, if it hurts you guys, I understand. No problem. And I know, some moderator is probably going to ban me from using this argument but I think it's valid enough as much as anyone else thinks it's valid to say that "OH NOES FORtuNATESON IS JUST FULL OF SHIT, self-owning etc..."

This is not the first poll to arrive at a failure rate between 50 and 60%. Please indicate why you think this correlation of data is not significant.

The thing is, I don't even know why am I going into the rrod field, in general, the xore Xbox userbase is very hardcore (no offense intended) and I make an assumption that a lot of hardcore owners would go and buy revisions, upgrades that the console gets, like a slim etc...

There is a lot of pre-existing owners that are buying new 360's and the reason doesn't have to solely be rrod's, that could be the biggest reason, but there are many others.

Yeah, people show me npd numbers, or other numbers but HOW DO YOU KNOW that those numbers are not pre-existing customers or customers simply upgrading? Were you there?

So please guys, save me the bullshit. I get it, people just want to look down on dumb posters and shit, but hey, you're on = grounds as well.

Keikaku

FortunateSon said:
I find that offensive, insulting to say the least. I get it. I'm just dumb, I don't do attach rates because I know, they are too many unexplained factors involved. So many ways to intepret things.

Anyways, you think these other so called posters (that call my theory bullshit, void, retarded or especially this = :lol :lol :lol ) have valid facts to counter my theory? Man, like I said, it's like a fucking circle jerk. Get real.

I remember a survey from game informer, they stated that they surveyed 6,000 people, now I'm not sure, this is just from what I remember and apparently, 50% said they had rrod problem, mind you; this is old data not new. And out of that, only 4% or something like that said that they wouldn't buy a 360, I know, it's not factual, but so is nothing in this thread till you see it for yourself and know it.

So is that evidence enough for people to believe 4% out of 6,000 people, man, that is a lot of people buying 360's again. We could assume and extrapolate from that data right? Why not? I see people doing the same shit in this thread?

Jesus, I'm not saying 360 doesn't have NEW customers, I'm just saying a good amount of their sales are to pre-existing customers, for some reason, the 360 fans in this thread are really hurt when they hear someone say that? It's like they don't want to hear it, hey, if it hurts you guys, I understand. No problem. And I know, some moderator is probably going to ban me from using this argument but I think it's valid enough as much as anyone else thinks it's valid to say that "OH NOES FORtuNATESON IS JUST FULL OF SHIT, self-owning etc..."

This is not the first poll to arrive at a failure rate between 50 and 60%. Please indicate why you think this correlation of data is not significant.

The thing is, I don't even know why am I going into the rrod field, in general, the xore Xbox userbase is very hardcore (no offense intended) and I make an assumption that a lot of hardcore owners would go and buy revisions, upgrades that the console gets, like a slim etc...

There is a lot of pre-existing owners that are buying new 360's and the reason doesn't have to solely be rrod's, that could be the biggest reason, but there are many others.

Yeah, people show me npd numbers, or other numbers but HOW DO YOU KNOW that those numbers are not pre-existing customers or customers simply upgrading? Were you there?

So please guys, save me the bullshit. I get it, people just want to look down on dumb posters and shit, but hey, you're on = grounds as well.

The last couple of pages in this thread have been a return to the good old days of console fanboyism. Keep them coming guys, keep them coming.

bill0527

FortunateSon said:

The reason why we know that the majority of people buying a 360 are brand new customers is the attach rate. Its very simple logic that you either cannot, or will not acknowledge.

For you to believe that everyone buying a 360 already owns one then you would also have to believe that each of these people are buying 9 games and/or accessories when they go to re-buy a 360 system. And that is ridiculous and does not follow any type of logic whatsoever.

ZZMitch

FortunateSon said:

I am going to actually respond, you know that most of those 3,000 that had to rrod problem in that article probably used the free repair service Microsoft offers and did not re-buy the console?

Do you truly believe that people would rather buy a whole new xbox instead of using a free repair service and waiting a few weeks?

Top Bottom