• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

E-phonk

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The two variables to this scenario I'd mention is 1) Nintendo may be stockpiling units for the Holidays (as someone pointed out to me earlier when I described a similar scenario), and 2) if Microsoft makes a large price cut, as opposed to something like $50, it will have a huge impact.

Also, with even a small price cut, they'll outsell what they did last year given that and their software lineup. They did 500k and 1m in November and December respectively, so I'd bump up both of those a bit in your scenario. It all depends on what MS does with price.
I fully agree. It were estimates based on the current situation + a 50 $ pricecut (which is the least they should do). If they would go for serious pricecuts of 100 $, i'm sure they can squeek at least another 500k out of it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jocchan said:
The unchanged woman and the village chief seem a bit off though, maybe you could turn them into Perrin being taken away by Peter Moore?

I thought about that but Moore left the company and I couldn't think of any other MS executive that would have been as recognizable. I actually made the gif before the Bell thread so I didn't use him. =P

A choice quote from PS3forums:

game9102 said:
Who cares about June NPD... PS3 is* number one at amazon, and that's what developers care about.

Anyways, Wii isn't really next gen, so you can say that PS3 is the second best selling next gen console... and if you ignore 360, you can say that PS3 is the best selling next gen console, which is really impressive.

Link

:lol

Jammy

Banned
Does anybody have Super Paper Mario numbers for its debut month (April) and approximations for May? I have it's June numbers and Media-Create Japan sales and I'd just like to see how it's been doing so far.

Meier

norinrad21 said:
http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07302/cardancenin2.gif[IMG]

whenever i look at this, it reminds me of an 80s rap video :lol :lol :lol[/QUOTE]

It's from Zoolander... classic scene.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I wonder what are the sales for the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney Series so far.

What are the sales in June and what are the LTDs?

PM me if you can't post 'em.

Jammy said:
Does anybody have Super Paper Mario numbers for its debut month (April) and approximations for May? I have it's June numbers and Media-Create Japan sales and I'd just like to see how it's been doing so far.

From Official NPD

April: 352k
June: It was jjust below Commmand and Conquer on the Revenue chart. Making it between 135k-110k or so.

jimbo

Banned
E-phonk said:
Ok I think it's safe to assume X360 and Wii will be status quo around august.

Knowing this I'd like to look ahead till januari 2008.

Let's take 4 million as a realistic number for x360 for september - januari. This is what microsoft expects afaik.

We know nintendo is currently shipping around 1.1 (400NA, 350 JAP, 350 EU?) million/month, and it's safe to assume keeping some aside for the end of the year and galaxy/smash. This means nintendo could ship +/- 6 million consoles in this september - januari period (1.1/month + some backup).

I think it's possible X360 sales could follow this path:
SEP: 500.000 (halo! + slight pricecut)
OKT: 350.000

NOV: 600.000
DEC: 1.000.000
JAN: 400.000
This means 2.85 million for NA, which leaves 1.15 for EU.

In this same period, nintendo could potentially ship (and sell) 6 million (including Japan offcourse), bringing the lead to 2 million consoles at the beginning of Februari.
Xbox would still be ahead in NA though.

EDIT: Those who assume 5 million x360's sold can adjust the numbers a bit as they see fit.

No way will 360 sales be lower in Oct than in Sept. Traditionally Oct has been lower, but not this year. October will be the first full month of Halo 3 + GTA4 launch. It will be bigger than whatever September brings.

I also expect MS will use September's hardware numbers as a barometer for a price drop. If Halo 3 increases hardware to their satisfaction in September, don't expect a price drop this year. It would be stupid, since they can let the games and the holidays boost their sales, and then next spring, just as they start dying down, a price drop puts them right back up. Plus it will depend on what Sony does too. A second price drop?

MS knows they need to win the holiday season, but if they can do well enough and distance themselves from Sony WITHOUT a price drop I don't think the Wii overtaking the 360 is really a threat to them. They know what a price drop can do eventually to the casual market, but they will milk this price as much as possible to get profitable.

Frillen

My estimation of how much RE4 Wii Edition has sold uptil this day:

Japan:

Should be at around 100k. Was at 93k two weeks ago, but count in last week and the two days of this week, and we should have it at 100k.

North America:

We know it sold shy of 150k in the US in July. Since Hardware in Canada is around 12% of what it is in the US, when it comes to the Wii, we can estimate and say that RE4 sold 18k in Canada in June. That's 165k for NA in June counting 10 days of that NPD month. RE4 has been out for 16 days in July NPD already. But here we have to make a wild estimate. Let's say that the game has sold 50k thus far during July NPD in the US. Add Canada (6k) and we get 56k. That's brings us to a total of 221k uptil this day in North America.

Europe:

Again, wild predictions here. Lots of Wii games in Europe have the same attach ratio as they have in the US. The only difference is that the Wii has sold around 30% less in Europe than in North America. If RE4 has sold around the same, percentage wise, in Europe as in NA, it should be around 155k. So total, 155k.

Others:

Australia/New Zealand and the Internet. Hard to say. The Australian market is around the same as Canada, but the Wii isn't as popular down there as in NA. So I estimate around 30k for RE4 down there. Internet sales are pretty much impossible to estimate, but if we look at the big picture they don't really matter since the Internet market isn't that big. But let's say it has sold 10k on Internet. So total 40k.

Worldwide:

516k.

My estimations could be far off, but I think it's safe to say that RE4 Wii Edtion has already broken the 420k barrier.

Jammy

Banned
LanceStern said:
From Official NPD

April: 352k
June: It was jjust below Commmand and Conquer on the Revenue chart. Making it between 135k-110k or so.

You mean May, right? I've seen the June numbers.

From what I can tell (estimated May figures)...

U.S. ~575,000
Japan ~450,000

Super Paper Mario is a million seller already, and it's only been out in two regions for a couple months. Hopefully it will eventually push two million, what with strong U.S. sales, a European release, and an eventual Player's Choice price.

Hcoregamer00

Frillen said:
My estimations could be far off, but I think it's safe to say thet RE4 Wii Edtion has already broken the 420k barrier.

Capcom better be thrilled, they undershot their Gyakuten Saiban 4 sales expectations also.

Here is hoping that RE4 wii means more games, because so far it didn't mean anything for the DS except for more GS/AA/PW.

dude

dude
This whole talk about depth from the "hardcores" is starting to bug me, it's not like Halo is goddamn Chess. Final Fantasy has the strategic depth of Tic Tac Toe, for example.

Also, I think "waggle" has enormous potential, and I'm not even talking about the "obvious" 1:1 controls. The Wiimote has a much better way to judge the players intention than "press/no press" or "press/no press/ long press", no to talk about interesting concept such as the cursor in SMG. I would really like to see what some developers can think of with this controller in mind, so I'm really happy the Wii is showing this success and attracting third party attention.

And, on topic of sales:
PSP is great, I think Sony can really mark that one a success. True, it's not exactly winning, but it's the first time Nintendo is not 90% dominating the handheld market.

Hcoregamer00

dude said:
And, on topic of sales:
PSP is great, I think Sony can really mark that one a success. True, it's not exactly winning, but it's the first time Nintendo is not 90% dominating the handheld market.

But the problem is sales.

It used to be that the PSP had amazing sales, especially 3rd party sales. Now you can't even use that argument anymore against the DS because the DS 3rd party sales have been increasing proportionally to the fanbase while the PSP sales have been in decline.

Very shocking considering it is the second highest current gen console in terms of LTD sales.

Jammy

Banned
dude said:
This whole talk about depth from the "hardcores" is starting to bug me, it's not like Halo is goddamn Chess. Final Fantasy has the strategic depth of Tic Tac Toe, for example.

Also, I think "waggle" has enormous potential, and I'm not even talking about the "obvious" 1:1 controls. The Wiimote has a much better way to judge the players intention than "press/no press" or "press/no press/ long press", no to talk about interesting concept such as the cursor in SMG. I would really like to see what some developers can think of with this controller in mind, so I'm really happy the Wii is showing this success and attracting third party attention.

And, on topic of sales:
PSP is great, I think Sony can really mark that one a success. True, it's not exactly winning, but it's the first time Nintendo is not 90% dominating the handheld market

As many people have said already, PSP hardware sales are great, yet its software sales are floundering. That has to be really bad to see from a developer's point of view, and it's no wonder PSP's most orignal and exclusive titles are coming from first parties while the others are usually ports or multi-platform ones. And this "market share" thing has to stop. I don't think Nintendo could care less that their market share isn't 99.9% anymore. They're selling more handhelds now than they ever have in their history, and they're making a bucketload off of GBA and all those DS million-sellers.

JonathanEx said:
A normal month would mean the Wii would overtake for September, but I think there's a chance of Halo 3 boosting 360 to maybe a point where the monthly sales are equal.
To match the Wii's million-ish a month for September, X360 would have to get something crazy big like 600K NA, 300K EU, 100K Japan+other for the month. Halo 2 did push the original Xbox to over 700K in the US alone for one month, it's true... however, it was also a November, and the hardware cost $150.
mr_bishiuk said:
I agree with you some what, if Nintendo have not been keeping back at least 2 million units for Christmas then the 360 could win the holiday and retake the lead if they have lost it. Is it likely that Nintendo have 2 million units in storage??
Surely there will be an increase of some type. DS Lites were in short supply worldwide for most of last year, but they still managed to sell at least 4 million worldwide in December alone.
mr_bishiuk said:
Being at a $400 price point is bound to make it more likely to Spike during the holiday season as it is bought as a presant rather than as a treat
Is there precedent for this? It's usually been the cheap GBA, DS, GCN type that have seen particularly big holiday boosts. Whether that's due to price making for a cheap gift or that they're Nintendo systems is I suppose up to interpretation.

dude

dude
I'm not saying Sony should celebrate the PSP sales or something, just that it's gotta be enough for them to enter the next handheld gen, learning from past mistakes (who am I kidding... it's Sony :<) and maybe recover a little. I maybe the closest in the bias spectrum to "Nintendo Fanboy", but competition is always good, when Sony pushed Nintendo to the last spot, Nintendo had to innovate and earn their place all over again...

laserbeam

Banned
dude said:
I'm not saying Sony should celebrate the PSP sales or something, just that it's gotta be enough for them to enter the next handheld gen, learning from past mistakes (who am I kidding... it's Sony :<) and maybe recover a little. I maybe the closest in the bias spectrum to "Nintendo Fanboy", but competition is always good, when Sony pushed Nintendo to the last spot, Nintendo had to innovate and earn their place all over again...

Im Sure sony will try again. it just seems to me the very idea behind handhelds is anti-sony. Sony pushes the blazing graphics and barely any games strategy. Their View is the handheld is just a console on the go and make games that dont fit handhelds well.

Innotech

Banned
Jokeropia said:
As pointed out, it still had five days to sell in the reporting period. Mario Party 8 had six days last month and did 314k.

Just saying.

and RE4 Wii had just 10 days and sold over 150k.
a game like NGS is very front loaded.

GhaleonEB

JoshuaJSlone said:
To match the Wii's million-ish a month for September, X360 would have to get something crazy big like 600K NA, 300K EU, 100K Japan+other for the month. Halo 2 did push the original Xbox to over 700K in the US alone for one month, it's true... however, it was also a November, and the hardware cost $150.
A few factors to consider here though. Not all Halo fans have picked up a 360 yet. There may be a spike of sales when Halo 3 hits for that reaons. Also, there may be a rush from a price cut. Far from certain, but if that happens the spike you describe could happen (not in Japan, though).

Deku

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
A few factors to consider here though. Not all Halo fans have picked up a 360 yet. There may be a spike of sales when Halo 3 hits for that reaons. Also, there may be a rush from a price cut. Far from certain, but if that happens the spike you describe could happen (not in Japan, though).

Yes but how many Xbox owners will pick one up, and how many new converts will also pick one up? Those are huge variables, the 2nd being the bigger one.

botticus

Bildi said:
200706NPD3.jpg
Could someone point me to data for the GC/XB/PS2 for the comparable time period last generation (November 01 -> June 02)?

laserbeam

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

Surely there will be an increase of some type. DS Lites were in short supply worldwide for most of last year, but they still managed to sell at least 4 million worldwide in December alone.

Is there precedent for this? It's usually been the cheap GBA, DS, GCN type that have seen particularly big holiday boosts. Whether that's due to price making for a cheap gift or that they're Nintendo systems is I suppose up to interpretation.

Just a reference point if you Look at Xbox Sales Pre halo for November 480,000 Units was about the norm for November. Halo 2s launch Month spurred November 2004 to 700,000 Units.

Halo 2 was worth about a 220,000 unit boost. Interestingly enough sales Data shows Halo 2s launch caused december to sell less Hardware then prior years due to a larger november sales

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, reading through the thread...can't believe some people are honestly trying to downplay RE4 sales. Mindblowing.

Kafel

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
A few factors to consider here though. Not all Halo fans have picked up a 360 yet. There may be a spike of sales when Halo 3 hits for that reaons.

Yep, Halo 1 "fans" already had the Xbox when Halo 2 was released.

There's no previous Halo on the X360.

Nonetheless, Nintendo will be the king this Fall ( hardware & software ).

felipeko

About Wii's stockpilling.. Nintendo stated in their financial result that they would sell 14 million of Wii's from march/07-march/08...
And we all know they're being conservative... But by going with that number, and ~1 million a month ATM, would leave 2 millions for holidays... And like they did with DS last year.. They will probably ship everything they have, and have almost no stock for january... That would leave at least 500k plus for the Wii..

So i think in a conservative scenario, Nintendo should have 4.5 millions (~1 million a month + 2 million from stockpilling + 0.5 million from leaving no stock for january) Wiis for November and December. I think they will surpass that.

Innotech

Banned
the thing that people are referring to with regards to whether or not Halo3 will move many units is the fact that the software lineup so far has been very conducive to the sorts of gamers who would buy Halo3 day one or week one. It has hit that target market so precisely that many who would buy Halo3 have already bought in, in a much higher percentage than would normally be the case if Halo 3 was the first huge game in that demographic after a drought. But that hasnt been the case. Its been consistent releases of equally hardcore games, and especially in europe there have been plenty of marked down unit sales and bundles, and in the Us Gears of War picked up many of the Halo fans. I think it might hit 400k, but expecting 700k again might be a bit too much.

thefro

GhaleonEB said:

There's going to be a bit of a spike, but considering the XBox has been dead since 2005 and the 360 is clearly the console for FPS fans, I think more of those people than you think already have a 360.

There's also people who didn't like Halo 2 (or at least not enough to buy a $400 360 to play it) out there, or who aren't going to join the next gen for lifestyle change reasons who may skip it.

I think you need to distinguish also between the people who were diehards fans of Halo 1 (who were drawn to a great single player mode and split-screen local deatchmatch) and diehard fans of Halo 2 (paid online deathmatch through XBox Live).

Zynx

voodoojohn said:
Meh, these numbers are a bit underwhelming. Only PSP and DS really impress me. Wii actually sold better in May (based on weekly averages).
We're in the middle of summer! If it were last year, or a few years ago, drops would be >50%!

Slavik81

Kafel said:
Yep, Halo 1 "fans" already had the Xbox when Halo 2 was released.

Halo 2 sold twice as well as Halo 1. Obviously, it wasn't just people who owned the first game who bought the second. There's a 4 million unit flaw in your logic as it stands.

Top Bottom