• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

GhaleonEB said:
A few factors to consider here though. Not all Halo fans have picked up a 360 yet. There may be a spike of sales when Halo 3 hits for that reaons. Also, there may be a rush from a price cut. Far from certain, but if that happens the spike you describe could happen (not in Japan, though).
That would be pretty huge. The only time any home console last generation hit 600K for a month outside of November or December was PS2 when it hit $199.
(Edit: Though I did say 600K NA, so I guess it wouldn't have to get quite that high in the US alone.)
Zynx said:
We're in the middle of summer! If it were last year, or a few years ago, drops would be >50%!
No. Historically, June is stronger than May, even when there weren't old-May-E3 price cuts, and even taking into account the extra week.

Frillen

Slavik81 said:
Halo 2 sold twice as well as Halo 1. Obviously, it wasn't just people who owned the first game who bought the second. There's a 4 million unit flaw in your logic as it stands.

Twice as well? Did Halo 2 sell 7.5 Mill in the US?

EktorPR

Again, Halo 3 doesn't have the kind of hype that Halo 2 had...at least from my point of view. The original Halo was incredible, a benchmark for console FPS, and everybody expected Halo 2 to surpass it on every level...and it didn't. Halo 3 will sell incredibly well, but I'll be greatly surprised if it sells as good as 2.

laserbeam

Banned
Frillen said:
Halo Sold around 6.4 million units. Halo 2 is around 7.8 million.

Its an increase but it snot that earth shattering. I Expect Halo 3 in the end to reach around 7 million Sales. half will happen pretty fast and then the slow trickle Halo is known for. I really think people are fooling themselves if they think the 360 is suddenly just going to explode and gain lots of new people all cause of Halo 3. The game for the most part has kept to the same people over and over.

AniHawk

laserbeam said:
Halo Sold around 6.4 million units. Halo 2 is around 7.8 million.

US, not worldwide.

About 72% of your Halo 2 numbers are from the US. About 69% for Halo.

I can see H3 doing about 5-6m in the States.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
laserbeam said:
Just a reference point if you Look at Xbox Sales Pre halo for November 480,000 Units was about the norm for November. Halo 2s launch Month spurred November 2004 to 700,000 Units.

Halo 2 was worth about a 220,000 unit boost. Interestingly enough sales Data shows Halo 2s launch caused december to sell less Hardware then prior years due to a larger november sales
There were some shortages in December that caused the sales to drop that month. There is no excuse why, but there was. Still, when you look when Xbox sales started to grow Y-o-Y leading up to Halo 2 and follow that all through until hardware sale started to dive the next year, basically creditting Halo 2 for ALL of the Xbox's growth that year and none of the losses, that's only about 1 million new consoles beyond what they were already selling over a year's time. One game is not going to change the outcome of an entire generation.

What I don't fully understand is why 360 sales keep slouching. The system was down by about 80k units last month Y-o-Y and down about 100k YTD. I expected the anticipation for Halo 3 to have more of an impact on hardware sales.

laserbeam

Banned
JJConrad said:
There were some shortages in December that caused the sales to drop that month. There is no excuse why, but there was. Still, when you look when Xbox sales started to grow Y-o-Y leading up to Halo 2 and follow that all through until hardware sale started to dive the next year, basically creditting Halo 2 for ALL of the Xbox's growth that year and none of the losses, that's only about 1 million new consoles beyond what they were already selling over a year's time. One game is not going to change the outcome of an entire generation.

What I don't fully understand is why 360 sales keep slouching. The system was down by about 80k units last month Y-o-Y and down about 100k YTD. I expected the anticipation for Halo 3 to have more of an impact on hardware sales.

Sales are declining at least in my opinion due to them Reaching the saturation Point for the Price Point. It could be more then that but im pretty sure its a factor.

Slavik81

Frillen said:
Those numbers were from Wikipedia a few months ago. 4M and 8M. It's entirely possible that better numbers have surfaced.

My point remains that more people bought Halo 2 than Halo 1 regardless of the exact size of the difference. There are significant numbers of people who bought Halo 2 and not Halo 1.

Frillen

Slavik81 said:
Those numbers were from Wikipedia a few months ago. 4M and 8M. It's entirely possible that better numbers have surfaced.

My point remains that more people bought Halo 2 than Halo 1 regardless of the exact size of the difference. There are significant numbers of people who bought Halo 2 and not Halo 1.

No, Halo 2 has sold 9.2 Mill world wide according to Wikipedia. Definitely not 8 Mill alone in the US. Should be around 5 Mill.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
Oh yeah. I forgot Sigma bombed. Is anyone really surprised though?

The posters in the "Techmo shipped 500K worldwide OMG" thread probably are.

I don't see how it is that surprising..I mean Motorstorm didn't do all that great and had Sony marketing muscle behind it.

damisa

MS annonced Halo sold 1million copies in april 2002. They dropped the price to $199 in may 2002. Halo sold more than 6.4 million LTD, and 1/6.4=16%. Even being conservative, 80+% of the people who bought Halo bought their xbox for $199 or less. 100% of the people who bought Halo/Halo 2 paid $300 or less. So it's very unlikely that most Halo players already bought a 360.

AniHawk

schuelma said:

I don't see how it is that surprising..I mean Motorstorm didn't do all that great and had Sony marketing muscle behind it.

Motorstorm did 200k its first month. That's the best any PS3 game has done so far this year (and pretty good in its own right).

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:

The denial in this thread with people acting like 5 days on the market don't count and actually believing NGS will appear on the top 10 come the next NPD is the surprising thing.

A game as hardcore and frontloaded as NGS should have appeared somewhere in the top 20. Without revealing any numbers, RE4 sold in the same time frame (5 days) almost double the sales of ninga gaiden sigma.

It flopped.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
Motorstorm did 200k its first month. That's the best any PS3 game has done so far this year (and pretty good in its own right).

Oh really? For some reason I thought it did closer to 100K. My mistake.

Edit- Yup, 199K. Whoops. I think at the time I thought it was disappointing..but actually that's pretty good for a PS3 game given the last couple of months.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PhoenixDark said:
Meh if the GBA costed $600 the PS3 would be kicking its ass

And if the PS3 cost $1million you wouldn't see a single unit sold.

We can play hypotheticals all day long but the fact of the matter is is that the PS3 is losing horribly right now, even selling less than a system that should have lost all relevancy a couple years ago.

AniHawk

sphinx said:
The denial in this thread with people acting like 5 days on the market don't count and actually believing NGS will appear on the top 10 come the next NPD is the surprising thing.

A game as hardcore and frontloaded as NGS should have appeared somewhere in the top 20. Without revealing any numbers, RE4 sold in the same time frame (5 days) almost double the sales of ninga gaiden sigma.

It flopped.

Actually, RE4:Wii had about two weeks longer than NGS. It was tracked for 3 weeks when NGS was tracked for 5 days.

damisa said:
MS annonced Halo sold 1million copies in april 2002. They dropped the price to $199 in may 2002. Halo sold more than 6.4 million LTD, and 1/6.4=16%. Even being conservative, 80+% of the people who bought Halo bought their xbox for $199 or less. 100% of the people who bought Halo/Halo 2 paid $300 or less. So it's very unlikely that most Halo players already bought a 360.
On the other hand, Xbox 360 has been selling slightly better than its predecessor did. And if it's not been attracting the original Xbox crowd foremost, who are these people? Going by the "X group didn't pay more than $300 for their system" explanation, they can only be... the Saturn crowd?

Does NGS not appearing in the top 20 mean that PS3 is no good for third parties?

It's amazing that Wii's third party goodness is the topic of debate here.

schuelma

AdmiralViscen said:
Does NGS not appearing in the top 20 mean that PS3 is no good for third parties?

It's all people have. I do admit I thought the RE4 sales would shut them up. Like most times in life, I thought wrong.

ft3eygk.gif

Kosma

Banned
Seeing how well RE4 Wii make is (and the Wii in general) is it too far fetched to think RE5 will come too Wii using the RE4 engine?

Before you say that the Wii wouldn't handle it...it's not like RE5 has as many enemies on screen as Dead Rising or something (as far as we have seen), so besides the HD visuals the game could be done on Wii it seems. Either way I'll be playing it...but it's in Capcoms nature to port stuff, plus I'd rather play RE5 with Wii controls then with the 360/PS3 pad (or on PC with mouse + HD graphics).

Speevy

Banned
Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black were considered disappointments at retail, selling maybe a million worldwide.

Is it really surprising that the remake of this game sold less?

schuelma

oo Kosma oo said:
Seeing how well RE4 Wii make is (and the Wii in general) is it too far fetched to think RE5 will come too Wii using the RE4 engine?

Before you say that the Wii wouldn't handle it...it's not like RE5 has as many enemies on screen as Dead Rising or something (as far as we have seen), so besides the HD visuals the game could be done on Wii it seems. Either way I'll be playing it...but it's in Capcoms nature to port stuff, plus I'd rather play RE5 with Wii controls then with the 360/PS3 pad (or on PC with mouse + HD graphics).

I think its possible, but I hope that instead they will just make an original ground up game for the Wii- a RE4.5 or whatever. That would be awesome

Speevy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

You mean RE4 graphics? Because RE5 isn't simply RE4 in high definition. It's pretty far from any Gamecube game. Geometry, textures/shaders, lighting, etc.

AniHawk

oo Kosma oo said:

I really, really, really hope they keep RE5 PS360 and play to the strengths of those systems. Capcom can make a "Code Veronica" style entry using RE4's engine for the Wii. As long as the design is done as well as RE4's, and the game is polished overall, it should be fine. A watered down RE5 would be a waste of time.

bud

Speevy said:
Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black were considered disappointments at retail, selling maybe a million worldwide.

...?

not that it'll sell good or anything but the game came out on 7-3

AniHawk said:
I really, really, really hope they keep RE5 PS360 and play to the strengths of that system. Capcom can make a "Code Veronica" style entry using RE4's engine for the Wii. As long as the design is done as well as RE4's, and the game is polished overall, it should be fine. A watered down RE5 would be a waste of time.
The answer will be determined by: [green]$$$[/green]

And you know what that means

AniHawk

Speevy said:

Ninja Gaiden sold more than Forza, and that was in each one's largest markets.

jjasper

AdmiralViscen said:

Sigma came out in July.

Speevy

Banned
bud said:

So? From 5 days of sales, we have a rough idea of what the demand will be like going forward, since uh, they released something quite like it 3 years ago.

Now if Wii Fit had sold 150,000 copies in say, 2 days, you might have a point. There are too many unknowns.

But it's not very hard to imagine where NGS is heading after its Japanese release and 5 days of US sales.

Speevy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Ninja Gaiden sold more than Forza, and that was in each one's largest markets.

Forza could have well flopped, was not part of a long-standing and respected franchise, and therefore outperformed expectations.

Culex

Banned
It's simply amazing that the Wii has outsold the 360 for 6 straight months. Every month this year has been Nintendo on top. It would be really interesting if it did it for all 12 months.

Also worth noting are the YTD's for the 360 and Wii, it's nearly 2:1

jjasper

laserbeam said:
5 days of Sales were in june NPD. front loaded title and it couldnt breach the top 20. thats significant

I wouldn't call it significant, give it a full month. Not saying it will sell well but we should at least give it a month to see how it does.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Speevy said:

Yeah I agree, and considering the same people who would buy Sigma have probably already played it (Ninja Gaiden on Xbox) to begin with at some point. I just dont see people -rushing- out to buy that game.

With that being said it was sold out in most stores in Union Square here in San Francisco when I went to find it a week or two ago... Not that it means much but I guess we should wait to see July numbers before we really know for sure.

Speevy said:

BUT ITS ON A PLAYSTATION

bud said:
...?

jjasper said:
Sigma came out in July.

How many times per page must it be explained that sales were reported for 5 days, and those sales were leaked in this very thread?

Mario Party and Forza had no problem hitting 6-digit sales in the last few days of their launch months. Ninja Gaiden is just not the killer app some people thought it would be for some reason.

jjasper said:
I wouldn't call it significant, give it a full month. Not saying it will sell well but we should at least give it a month to see how it does.

I doubt we'll see it in the top 20.

Culex said:
It's simply amazing that the Wii has outsold the 360 for 6 straight months. Every month this year has been Nintendo on top. It would be really interesting if it did it for all 12 months.

Also worth noting are the YTD's for the 360 and Wii, it's nearly 2:1

Well it will definitely surpass 360 worldwide by the end of the year. I'd give it until July '08 before it surpasses 360 strictly in the U.S.

laserbeam

Banned
mentalfloss said:
Well it will definitely surpass 360 worldwide by the end of the year. I'd give it until July '08 before it surpasses 360 strictly in the U.S.

Agreed for relative time frame. The Expected Fiscal Year Sales while a significant gap of several million units just isnt large enough since the Unit spread acorss the 3 regions is pretty even for the Wii. Just too much spread out

mentalfloss said:

It'll happen well before the end of the year (Worldwide leader). In the US alone is all dependent on how much Halo 3/Gta4 pushes consoles on the 360 and how much stock Nintendo has stockpiled.

Frillen

laserbeam said:
5 days of Sales were in june NPD. front loaded title and it couldnt breach the top 20. thats significant

I wonder how many times it has been explained in this thread that Sigma was out for 5 days, 'cause June NPD ended at the 7th of July. Some people must find it hard to read.

Kosma

Banned
Speevy said:
You mean RE4 graphics? Because RE5 isn't simply RE4 in high definition. It's pretty far from any Gamecube game. Geometry, textures/shaders, lighting, etc.

Yeah but that's all graphic stuff.

If you remade Dead Rising on the Wii it couldn't handle all the zombies on screen I think, so it wouldn't be the same game if you cut their numbers down.

If you remade RE5 with less *sparkzzz* it would still be the same game I seems (so far at least). It's not like crazed villigers have next gen AI or something.

AniHawk said:
I really, really, really hope they keep RE5 PS360 and play to the strengths of those systems. Capcom can make a "Code Veronica" style entry using RE4's engine for the Wii. As long as the design is done as well as RE4's, and the game is polished overall, it should be fine. A watered down RE5 would be a waste of time.

I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't like Capcom to compromise on their vision either. But if they couldn pull of on the Wii , why not? As long as it doesn't compromise the game making process that is.

Top Bottom