• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

cicero

Brimstone said:
If Shadowrun is over 50,000 that is a strong start and Microsoft owned May as far as retail dollars is concerned. Although Forza isn't direct competion, it is a MS 1st party title indirectly competing in the same user base pool.
Best pick another topic for your joke character soon, this one is losing its amusement factor.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Earthstrike said:
Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play, so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of attributing some of the poor sales to Sony's and Microsoft's unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.

Someone has an obvious agenda here.

$250 is better than $400 or $600.

Yet, all of those games on the list, besides Wii Play (controller + game) are all traditional games. Unless you're going to tell me than all of a sudden, Mario Party 8 and Pokemon are non-traditional games, proof of Nintendo's genius!

STFU.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
CreatureX3 said:
Of course it would boost sales. But it would also boost MS deeper into the red with greater losses. That is the reason why we haven't seen a price drop yet.

MS has said they are determined to get the Xbox division into the black this year. A price drop now would shatter those plans.

It isn't our fault that they haven't made inroads in Japan and to a lesser extent, Europe. After a while, it's time to suck it up and go for market share.

.dmc

Banned
Game-Biz said:
Yeah, but...Halo 3 is coming out soon -- the public should be buying 360s out of sheer excitement...

Seems like people forget that the first two Halo's were only able to drive xbox to 25million, but think that Halo 3 will be the game that turns the 360 into an unstoppable success. Makes sense right?

Haunted

The Faceless Master said:
oh... quite a few people don't...
The Pachter Gestapo is pleased with your intentions. Good job.

:( @ NPD treating sonycowboy and GAF badly. Did we piss them off? It was the demand for numbers and the constant .gif posting, wasn't it? I just know it was.
emot-argh.gif

Fuzzy said:
NPD is on a witch-hunt for leaks and GameDaily has ruined it for everyone?
...or that.

Dizzan said:
PS3 performed better than I expected considering the shorter month(4 weeks as opposed to Aprils 5)

Considering there were no big games released. I predicted around 60 000.

I think it may reach 90 000 next month and 100 000 plus from Setember onwards.

I dont think Sony is too worried. PS2 revenue is HUGE and the PSP is really coming along.

They have a brand loyalty that other companies can only dream of and the PS3 will benefit from this in the long term. ie when the fricken price drops

April was also 4 weeks.

They will make money on Halo3 and online subscritions, + elite sales. Drop the price. If they don't drop the price in the next couple of months, then it just means, MS really doesn't care if the Wii wins or not. That or they are retards.

Mudhoney

Profitability aside, I'm really hoping MS drops the 360 price or does something strategic to combat the Wii. It will surely cause the other two companies to react and perhaps do a bold move or two also. It can only be good for all of us anyways, no matter the system you want.

909er

.dmc said:
Seems like people forget that the first two Halo's were only able to drive xbox to 25million, but think that Halo 3 will be the game that turns the 360 into an unstoppable success. Makes sense right?

The 360 still hasn't had it's true killer ap, and thats what Halo 3 represents. They're hoping that the ppl who are Halo fans will jump in when that happens.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Holy shit at those numbers.
360 needs a price drop very soon, as most people said already Elite is a retarded decision. I don't know why Microsoft decided to release this SKU. They didn't learn anything from PS3's horrible sales and went in the same way sony did.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
909er said:
The 360 still hasn't had it's true killer ap, and thats what Halo 3 represents. They're hoping that the ppl who are Halo fans will jump in when that happens.

Gears of War isn't a killer app?

TDG

Banned
.dmc said:
You're clearly not putting very much thought into that one.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
IIRC, they (MS) haven't released a press release about sales the last few months, they know that they are shit and are too embarrassed to highlight that fact.

NekoFever

CreatureX3 said:
Of course it would boost sales. But it would also boost MS deeper into the red with greater losses. That is the reason why we haven't seen a price drop yet.

MS has said they are determined to get the Xbox division into the black this year. A price drop now would shatter those plans.
This is their problem, though. Losing more money won't kill them, and with the way that business has typically done in this industry (console as loss leader) they can still be fine. They have several million people paying them $50/year for Live (the others can't boast anything comparable to this) and attach rates have been phenomenally good at times, which will only improve with more people buying the machine.

It might shatter their immediate plans, but so will this constant decline. I don't expect a miraculous revival for the PS3 but it has games coming and is doing a lot of things right (new features being added through firmware), and if Sony can shave off $100 first those plans will have to be shattered anyway.

watership

Odysseus said:
wow @ 360

as i was saying, this is what happens when you raise the price of an already expensive system.

The Premium is still $400. :) I don't think the release of the Elite made people NOT want to buy a Premium 360.

909er

reilo said:
Gears of War isn't a killer app?

It's a new franchise that sold really well, and may draw in more ppl with Gears 2, but what I means was that it wasn't an established franchise like Halo from last gen.

Bo130

Son of Godzilla said:
Just out of morbid curiousity, anyone got average weekly sales for 2007?

Hm, weekly? Well, ok. For 22 weeks:

Nintendo DS: 2,126k/22 ~ 97,000 weekly
Wii: 1,728k/22 ~ 79,000 weekly
PSP: ("MAY SALES" + 750k)/22
PlayStation 2: ("MAY SALES" + 1,068k)/22
XBox 360: 1,050k/22 ~ 48,000 weekly
PlayStation 3: 664k/22 ~ 30,000 weekly

amba

NekoFever said:
I still have a sinking feeling that they're not going to move until Sony do rather than take a golden opportunity to twist the knife. They're too myopic to notice the way things are going as long as hardware costs are heading into the black and Sony is floundering.

I agree that MS are happy to let Sony bleed rather than kill it. If they put down the price now there should be a jump in numbers that will sustain them to September, then Halo 3 will come, and the boost from that would leave them in a very strong position come holidays that would be difficult for the PS3 to overcome.

As it stands right now, they're happy to just sell better than their opposition.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
reilo said:
The time to drop the price for the X360 was 3 months ago (~18months into its lifecycle, its at 20 months now).

When did the PS2 have its first price drop? What about Xbox1?

PS2 dropped to $199 at about 18 months into it's lifetime.

Xbox dropped at the same time, but since it was released a year later it was only about 6 months into it's life.

Gamecube also dropped at the same time, 6 months in.

And as I recall the N64/PSX era was full of really competitive pricing with N64 dropping just before it was released and some more small cuts relatively early on in their lives.

I could be wrong, but I think Xbox360 holds the record for longest time to go without a price cut after launch in the past decade. Maybe even in the past two decades. Can anybody confirm/deny?

reilo

watership said:
The Premium is still $400. :) I don't think the release of the Elite made people NOT want to buy a Premium 360.

Perception is reality.

C4Lukins

.dmc said:

Halo 3 is not even out and they have sold 10 million units. Plus it is not like Halo is the only highly anticipated game coming out for the 360 in the near future.

spwolf

Dizzan said:
PS3 performed better than I expected considering the shorter month(4 weeks as opposed to Aprils 5)

Considering there were no big games released. I predicted around 60 000.

I think it may reach 90 000 next month and 100 000 plus from Setember onwards.

I dont think Sony is too worried. PS2 revenue is HUGE and the PSP is really coming along.

They have a brand loyalty that other companies can only dream of and the PS3 will benefit from this in the long term. ie when the fricken price drops

of course, the games will have a lot to do with sales... june is another month without major titles, but things should start happening in july...

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
chespace said:
Not that it matters or anything, but Forza 2 also came out on May 29th. :)

How about a design a Shadowrun themed Forza 2 car contest?

Afterall didn't the main engine programmer for Shadowrun help out with the Forza 2 game engine?

damisa

reilo said:
Yea, I shouldn't have used excuse, but the point still stands.

The time to drop the price for the X360 was 3 months ago (~18months into its lifecycle, its at 20 months now).

When did the PS2 have its first price drop? What about Xbox1?

PS2: after 18 months
xbox: after 6 months

Even the PS2 couldn't last more than 18 months at $300, so the 360 slowing down after 20+months at $400 isn't surprising.

Seriously, PS3 and 360 need pricedrops at E3.

hyp

Cruceh said:
How is being unable to penetrate mainstream appeal not a bad thing?

i don't think many 360 owners are complaining about the selection of games. the wii can have all the mainstream appeal it wants, my taste lies in the not-so-popular category.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, so this is the third month with sub 100k sales, right? So...what happens with retailers now?

Branduil

I hate the lack of GBA and PSP numbers making me check that site. Though I found this post hilarious:

sharky said:
So once again we have NPD showing an obscenely low number for 360 (155k) yet ioi shows them at 220+k.

NPD has fanboys like anywhere else. Every month I have to hear "Anita Frazier" gush over all things Nintendo. And how all her kids own DS and whatnot. It's sickeningly obvious where her heart lies.

And then we have the President of NPD's very unprofessional emails to ioi. Proving that organization does not have very high integrity standards.

I think it would just be too easy for fanboyism to creep into NPD's estimates. All of it is based on formulas and whatnot, it would be so easy for some 360 hater to "tweak" the 360 formulas down based on his own bias. Simply "decide" that the 360 needs a lower multiplier based on his "intuition" of what it is really selling.

It just doesn't jive what NPD reports. Stores cant even keep Elites in stock, you cannot find an Elite anywhere, yet MS had a pitiful 155k showing in the month? Doesn't seem right.

michaeld

Banned
So have the hardcore Sony fans finally stopped making excuses.."Wait until next month...wait until Motorstorm etc" and accepted reality?

C4Lukins

Oblivion said:
Wait, so this is the third month with sub 100k sales, right? So...what happens with retailers now?

This is only the second month. If March had been a 4 week month though it would have been pretty damn close to under 100k.

reilo

Grecco said:
I would think a 4 plus million seller is a Killer App but hey im no Analyst.

The Patch is... but then again he really isn't one either with the way he is predicting shit.

LJ11

Guitar Hero 2 has some serious legs. It caters to all sorts of demographics; young, old, casual, hardcore, men, women, rock lovers, people who don't like rock, and anything in between. Games like GH and Wii Sports (people may not consider it a game but the proof is in the pudding) are going to seriously change the way publishers think. Month after month GH is doing really well at $80-$90 price point. More publishers will look at this success and turn some of their focus towards these types of games.

909er said:
It's a new franchise that sold really well, and may draw in more ppl with Gears 2, but what I means was that it wasn't an established franchise like Halo from last gen.

So the Wii is still waiting for Wii Sports 2, then?

Dizzan

MINI Member
michaeld said:
So have the hardcore Sony fans finally stopped making excuses.."Wait until next month...wait until Motorstorm etc" and accepted reality?

What's your perception of "reality"?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
michaeld said:

Now with added, "wait until Halo!"

NekoFever

Dizzan said:
So first price drop wins? I agree
That's not necessarily what I meant. I'm just saying that if Sony drop the price significantly MS will have to follow suit, thus shattering their profitability plans anyway. If the PS3 price drops to, say, $500 and they stick with $400 for the premium 360 they're batshit ****ing insane.

...and they might even be if they stick to $400 for much longer...

GhaleonEB

C4Lukins said:
Halo 3 is not even out and they have sold 10 million units. Plus it is not like Halo is the only highly anticipated game coming out for the 360 in the near future.
For a reality check against the first Xbox - this months sales - as bad as they are - are a full 25% better than Xbox 1 did at the same month in its lifecycle.

michaeld said:
What's really bad is the people who own the thing don't even buy games month to month.

Top Bottom