• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

QaaQer

Well, if we enjoy talking about worldwide strategies or changed preferences in business numbers from sales to MAUs, I think there should also be space for these kind of themes, as long as we do not derail it to completely unrelated stuff (like discussing the success of the newest Wrecking Ball Simulator on the german market or if there will be a female link in the next Zelda). Worldwide numbers for consoles and games are shared and discussed regularly.

If we really filter out all themes that are not strictly related to US NPD these threads would be much shorter and way less interesting.
At least for me, this is my go-to place as I get a good overview about everything relevant in the business, strong opinions by a lot of people with way more insight than I have and some good laughs.

There is space, however that type of discussion is sometimes used the way Halo boosters were using imagined digital. USA retail sales of AAA console games cannot be hand waved away either with 'but digital' or 'but global'.
PREDICTION

December NPD: Splatoon > Halo 5

[retail]

I wish I could remember the guy who predicted splat WW Ltd>Halo Ltd back in june-ish. It seemed crazy at the time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There is space, however that type of discussion is sometimes used the way Halo boosters were using imagined digital. USA retail sales of AAA console games cannot be hand waved away either with 'but digital' or 'but global'.
No hand waving needed.

"But digital" is an appeal to numbers that are imagined.
"But global" is an appeal to global numbers released by the publisher.

If you see someone say that all numbers that have been released are terrible but it's a huge mega success because their mates in Media Markt Liechtenstein says it's selling gangbusters then that will probably be looked at skeptically.

QaaQer

No hand waving needed.

"But digital" is an appeal to numbers that are imagined.
"But global" is an appeal to global numbers released by the publisher.

If you see someone say that all numbers that have been released are terrible but it's a huge mega success because their mates in Media Markt Liechtenstein says it's selling gangbusters then that will probably be looked at skeptically.

Fair enough.

This is an NPD thread, so a US only conversation is exactly the point

I don't see it. I know it's an NPD thread but I'm not sure why we should limit ourselves to simply talking about US numbers when the conversation centered around how "big" or "monster" of an IP something is.

WW is important in that regard, and constricting talk to just the US without context from the ROTW seems incredibly limited.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wish I could remember the guy who predicted splat WW Ltd>Halo Ltd back in june-ish. It seemed crazy at the time.

Are you talk about me? o_O

I predicted Splatoon > Halo 5 worldwide after UK first week which showed the super Halo declined, so by start of November...

But kudos for who maked this prediction back in June if true haha, this was pretty hard to predict.

Sure. No one wants this thread overfloating with utter nonsense. And as far as I know bullshits is normally hunted down without mercy, rightly so.
But as long as there is no general sales-cracker-barrel I am quite happy with the mix in here.
And I don't think we need one.

noshten

PS4 will definitely see an increase YOY for December and win the month. Not sure about XBOX but flat YOY or slight decrease seems the most plausible result. I'd expect the Wii U to see a slight increase YOY for December. 3DS would be lucky to pass half a million, there is nothing substantial to move hw this holiday.

December's Results 2014 (estimates)
1. XB1 ~ 1.29m
2. PS4 ~ 1.065m
3. 3DS ~ 810K
4. WIU ~ 580K

Right now I'd predict something along the lines of:

PS4 - 1.45M
XB1 - 1.25M
3DS - 500K
WIU - 600K

ethomaz

Banned
It was him, no? lol :D

And yes Splatoon will be over Halo 5 this year... crazy indeed and shows how low the Halo franchise can go.

PS. I'm not talking about quality just sales... Splatoon sales are amazing for a Wii U but Halo 5 could be way bigger.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It was him, no? lol :D

And yes Splatoon will be over Halo 5 this year... crazy indeed and shows how low the Halo franchise can go.

PS. I'm not talking about quality just sales... Splatoon is amazing for a Wii U but Halo 5 could be way bigger.

I don't wanna talk about quality in a sales thread, but for me Splatoon is way better than all Halo games i played.

To be honest, i still not played Halo 5, but with all others Halo, i can say Splatoon is way better.

This is probabily because i prefer TPS, indeed i almost always prefer TPS ( even if i love Far Cry, but is not a competitive online game, i like it for the SP )...

I just think Splatoon is faster and more funny to play.
Halo is boring after hours... just my opinion.

So, yes. Splatoon deserve to sell more. At least for me.

Right now I'd predict something along the lines of:

PS4 - 1.45M
XB1 - 1.25M
3DS - 500K
WIU - 600K

[PS4] 1,650,000
[XB1] 1,400,000
[3DS] 600,000
[WIU] 600,000

I will most likely change those predictions...

Nouzka

Who has claimed that Uncharted is monster series in USA? I'm pretty sure people always talks about worldwide numbers when claiming that Uncharted is big series. 21 million for three games and each sequel selling more, I think those are big numbers for game series that is exclusive.

RexNovis

Banned
I now have serious doubts about the legs for Battlefront. Having just seen the movie I don't really see it resonating like the originals nor do I see it having the cultural impact that they had.

blakep267

I now have serious doubts about the legs for Battlefront. Having just seen the movie I don't really see it resonating like the originals nor do I see it having the cultural impact that they had.
Well it is rapidly fading from the xbox most played charts. It was like 8 or 9 last night behind Halo( halo got back to 6. I guess ots cause of forge and new stuff)

QaaQer

Are you talk about me? o_O

I predicted Splatoon > Halo 5 worldwide after UK first week which showed the super Halo declined, so by start of November...

But kudos for who maked this prediction back in June if true haha, this was pretty hard to predict.

I remembered your prediction too, which also seemed a little crazy, but less so after UK.

RexNovis

Banned
How would you rank it compared to the prequels?

The prequels actually felt insulting. This one doesnt feel insulting. It feels more like a missed opportunity that constantly tries to distract you with shiny balls of nostalgia. It really doesnt earn the gravitas it tries to portray. A whole lot of telling not showing. But this is all OT so I don't want to get too much into it.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I remembered your prediction too, which also seemed a little crazy, but less so after UK.

What prediction exatly?

Like i said, i predicted Splatoon over Halo 5 only after the first week in UK... before that, i predicted 8 million for Halo 5... now, i predict 5.5 million.

Splatoon, i others hands, my prediction is rised so much times... At first, i predicted 1.5 million after the E3 2014.
Before launch, by half of May 2015, i predicted 3 million.

...Then 4 million, 5 million, 6 million... :p :p :p :p :p

Now i predict 7 million. xD

But i think this will remain my top prediction, i really don't think Splatoon will sell more... if Splatoon sell even more than that... i swear...

The prequels actually felt insulting. This one doesnt feel insulting. It feels more like a missed opportunity that constantly tries to distract you with shiny balls of nostalgia. It really doesnt earn the gravitas it tries to portray. A whole lot of telling not showing. But this is all OT so I don't want to get too much into it.
Sounds like it might win over the masses though. I find forum goers like us have refined taste and a little harder to impress because we consume and dissect a lot of media.

RexNovis

Banned
Sounds like it might win over the masses though. I find forum goers like us have refined taste and a little harder to impress because we consume and dissect a lot of media.

I by no means claim to be able to speak for the masses bit is seriously doubt it is able to capture the public at large in the same way the originals did. But not for lack of effort or imitation. I don't know it just felt off to me. Frankly it left me befuddled with a lot of the decisions made in regards to plot and character development.

But this is the last I'll dwell on it. If you want to see more in depth thoughts about it check out the posts I made in the off topic OT. That's the best I can do without resorting to spoilers which I refuse to do.

Splatoon is right next to The Last of Us for biggest new IP launch from the big 3. Really amazing job by Nintendo getting it this big.

I hope Rainbow Six does well for December but I don't think it'll crack the top 10.

Hardware wise I expect the XB1 and the PS4 to be slightly above their November numbers.

the overhype for splatoon sales here is ridiculous, its only selling amazing in japan, it got a nice boost on black friday cause it was bundled with smash for 250$, bundles which you can still find btw.

ethomaz

Banned
the overhype for splatoon sales here is ridiculous, its only selling amazing in japan, it got a nice boost on black friday cause it was bundled with smash for 250$, bundles which you can still find btw.
It is still ahead Halo 5... that was the main point I guess... nobody is overhyping it sales.
In fact they are saying how low the Halo 5 sales are.

Splatoon is right next to The Last of Us for biggest new IP launch from the big 3. Really amazing job by Nintendo getting it this big.

I hope Rainbow Six does well for December but I don't think it'll crack the top 10.

Hardware wise I expect the XB1 and the PS4 to be slightly above their November numbers.
Errr what? It is nowhere near TLOU. TLOU has 10m copies, Splatoon will be lucky to hit 3m. TLOU is leagues ahead in terms of how big it is.

It's doing great and even if it was only doing well in Japan it would still be a tremendous success.

Many thought it would only do 500k and it's done double that in Japan alone.

Mory Dunz

Errr what? It is nowhere near TLOU. TLOU has 10m copies, Splatoon will be lucky to hit 3m. TLOU is leagues ahead in terms of how big it is.

Launch of new IP isn't necessarily limited to sales of a sole game. The OP would have to clarify what he meant. But there's merchandising (amiibos, etc), brand recognition, staying power, etc. A sequel on a non horrible system would be pretty telling. And Splatoon amiibo sales numbers.

It should be over 3m btw

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well it is rapidly fading from the xbox most played charts. It was like 8 or 9 last night behind Halo( halo got back to 6. I guess ots cause of forge and new stuff)

For a better (and more global preference), here's the amount of players online right now, as of December 18th, 2015, 15:16 GMT

http://swbstats.com/

PC: 13,015 (24h peak: 15,064)

XBOXONE: 23,037 (24h peak: 41,041)

PS4: 63,569 (24h peak: 77,335)

Total: 99,621

Kill3r7

That is really surprising considering the game has been on sale for $40 for the last 2 weeks.

What time is it?

It did 140 without bundles iirc

it actually 105k with out bundles, but yea i was way off with bundles.

It's doing great and even if it was only doing well in Japan it would still be a tremendous success.

Many thought it would only do 500k and it's done double that in Japan alone.

its doing great but people are acting like its the next mario kart, when its only selling amazing in japan.

Halo 5 is going to sell more than Splatoon. It hasn't even been heavily bundled yet. I would expect Halo 5 be bundled with a $350 or a $299 console next year. With respect to MGS published games, the question I think is more interesting is, when is MGS going to publish its next hit? The last new AAA IP that did well was Ryse but MGS doesn't own the franchise and the sequel is dead in the water.

As I look over the 2016 releases, I don't see any new Microsoft Games Studios-published AAA IP that I think will light the sales charts on fire though I'm sure one of them will end up on the "Gen 8 Top 10 Underrated Games" lists in a couple of years. (Right next to Sunset Overdrive)

As I look over the 2016 releases, I don't see any new AAA IP that I think will light the sales charts on fire though I'm sure one of them will end up on the "Gen 8 Top 10 Underrated Games" lists in a couple of years. (Right next to Sunset Overdrive)
Horizon: Zero Dawn will be one Sony hopes to set the charts on fire. They are looking into making it their next big thing. It will be interesting to see how they handle promotion and what not.

Launch of new IP isn't necessarily limited to sales of a sole game. The OP would have to clarify what he meant. But there's merchandising (amiibos, etc), brand recognition, staying power, etc. A sequel on a non horrible system would be pretty telling. And Splatoon amiibo sales numbers.

It should be over 3m btw
It's not in the same league in any aspect really. Splatoon is one of the better new IPs of the last few years, but we need to take it easy.

PanicFreak said:
As I look over the 2016 releases, I don't see any new AAA IP that I think will light the sales charts on fire though I'm sure one of them will end up on the "Gen 8 Top 10 Underrated Games" lists in a couple of years. (Right next to Sunset Overdrive)
Horizon, The Division & Quantom Break all have a chance. Quality and release date will play a major role though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Splatoon will be lucky to hit 3m.

giphy.gif

Mory Dunz

It's not in the same league in any aspect really. Splatoon is one of the better new IPs of the last few years, but we need to take it easy.

Was the OP really disagreeing with that...? Is it because he said "right next to" TLOU instead of another word?

Still though, I don't want to pronounce premature judgment. Initially I figured it would struggle to hit 1mil WW. Then after early legs in Japan I thought 1 mil in Japan retail would only maybe happen. So if there's a sequel on a better system I'm not setting limits. Or a show, merchandising, etc

Why did this even start though? OP was just talking about big new IPs from the 3.

Edit

Horizon, The Division & Quantom Break all have a chance. Quality and release date will play a major role though.

I was speaking specifically about Microsoft Games Studios releases but I do agree that all three of those have a chance at becoming a hit. I'm not sure about Quantum Break because most people still think that there will be some sort of TV show that will go with the game. Microsoft messed up the messaging up at the very beginning and I think it will suffer because of that, unless it gets really great reviews (90+ MC).

noshten

its doing great but people are acting like its the next mario kart, when its only selling amazing in japan.

MK8 finished last year with 1.7 million sales in US alone.
The majority of the legs in the US were due to the bundle which was launched with MK8. At launch you got MK8 with a free game and the game was heavily bundled for the entire year and during Christmas when the Wii U did 500K.
So lets say that the majority of bundles around Christmas are Splatoon/Smash and Splatoon is very close to 1 million with the November NPD. I can see it easily finishing the year between 1.2-1.5 million in the US.

ethomaz

Banned
Halo 5 WW sales are public?
I'm not sure if serious... did you think Halo 5 sold good outside US and UK?

It already reached 2.42 million as of Sep 2015.
I'm sure it will sell more 580k units in Oct + Nov + Dec.

Halo 5 is going to sell more than Splatoon. It hasn't even been heavily bundled yet. I would expect Halo 5 be bundled with a $350 or a $299 console next year. With respect to MGS published games, the question I think is more interesting is, when is MGS going to publish its next hit? The last new AAA IP that did well was Ryse but MGS doesn't own the franchise and the sequel is dead in the water.
The bets were about this year... I'm sure Halo 5 will do more long term.

About your other question... Ryse did well? I do think Gears will do great in terms of sales... less than 3 first games but more than the last one.

I don't see it. I know it's an NPD thread but I'm not sure why we should limit ourselves to simply talking about US numbers when the conversation centered around how "big" or "monster" of an IP something is.

Because, most of the time, going from US to global takes us from US (knowing a little) to global (I'm just making up numbers).

If we have real, actual numbers to go with, then sure, adding global context to the US numbers makes sense. But if it's just "well, Sony is stronger in Europe, so game X sold better there" that's not helpful and should be discouraged.

Mory Dunz

Splatoon will be at > 4 million by end of year. I call it now. Remember this comment.

Hm how would we know though? Press release...?

And what's your projected breakdown?
As in
NPD:
EUROPE:
JAPAN:
ROTW:

I think it's a bit high imo since japan is the only aeea confirmed to be over 1 mil right? Unleas ROTW is hot

MK8 finished last year with 1.7 million sales in US alone.
The majority of the legs in the US were due to the bundle which was launched with MK8. At launch you got MK8 with a free game and the game was heavily bundled for the entire year and during Christmas when the Wii U did 500K.
So lets say that the majority of bundles around Christmas are Splatoon/Smash and Splatoon is very close to 1 million with the November NPD. I can see it easily finishing the year between 1.2-1.5 million in the US.

splatoon reached 2.42 million as of Sep 2015. mario kart 8 same time frame, 3.5 million september 2014, and now way platoon will sell as good as mario kart 8 during December.

Chobel

Horizon and The Division.

Because, most of the time, going from US to global takes us from US (knowing a little) to global (I'm just making up numbers).

If we have real, actual numbers to go with, then sure, adding global context to the US numbers makes sense. But if it's just "well, Sony is stronger in Europe, so game X sold better there" that's not helpful and should be discouraged.

But that's not really what the context around the discussion was about. The discussion centered around how big we think UC4 would be with some estimations about WW numbers, while some only focused on US numbers. All numbers were made up.

A statement that says that WW plays a bigger role for Sony then others is completely in line with that, especially if your trying to determine how big an IP is.

Ignoring WW in this instance is limiting the discussion for no meaningful purpose other then to follow the thread title. Which we don't exactly do all the time anyways.

Horizon and The Division.

See edit.

The bets were about this year... I'm sure Halo 5 will do more long term.

About your other question... Ryse did well? I do think Gears will do great in terms of sales... less than 3 first games but more than the last one.

OK, I can see that happening.

I thought that Ryse did pretty well. I think it sold more than 1 million copies on Xbox One. I could be wrong though. Gears will do well but that's not a new IP but I was referring to new IP only.

Top Bottom